Options

Political Correctness is BS

Comments

• Options
    Hi i put this p.c stereotypical picture to say i have a baby. Must be straight or am i a modern p.c gay dad. Ah i like p.c threads we can be anyone.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Hi i put this p.c stereotypical picture to say i have a baby. Must be straight or am i a modern p.c gay dad. Ah i like p.c threads we can be anyone.
    good job, get em started young
  • Options
    Its a dating app and grinder is the gay version so take your pick.
    yeah I don't think I'll be using a dating app anytime soon
  • Options
    My elder 3 .  Two of them love glen hansard and i take my 16 year old every show. She is coming to london night 2 for her first pj show with my partners 16 year old for her first show. Parenting done correctly. For sure. Music is the healer of the soul.As we all know here.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The baby enjoys the sound of the guitar strangely the sad songs
     This was immortality. Hahah
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    nice, what about Spanish Guitar?

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    riley540 said:
    Puting up photos of ourselves now? 
    Nice photo, Riley.  Two cool cats!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nice, what about Spanish Guitar?

Im just above novice. I can nail lots of bits of songs many pj and glen hansard but Spanish way out of my league. I get annoyed forgetting what i learned the day before. But its good to have goals
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited February 2018
    So anyway, PC in general is B.S.  I agree.

But as far as speaking your mind or not, that depends on the situation. 

The other day, while I was in line at Bath and Beyond buying a non-slip mat for the bath tube because my wife is getting concerned about one of both of us slipping and falling, the lady behind me started telling me about how unfair gas taxes are because it makes her ROAT (ridiculously oversized American truck) expensive to drive (to the store to buy a kitchen towel, got it) and on an on about wanting to rip all the clean air devices out of her rig etc., blah blah blah.

OK, here's the hook:  Do I argue and defend the environment or or just nod in quasi-agreement?  I nodded.  Why? Because one of the golden rules I learned in Human Services in college is:  "Never challenge someone if you don't want to grow closer to them."  This is nearly universal.  If you challenge someone, you are, to at least some degree, going to grow closer to them.  (Even on a forum like AMT.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Oh, and to finish- obviously, I didn't want to grow closer to this person.

• Options
    I agree sometimes just a nod and say nothing stops the situation gathering any momentum. Im terrible at keeping my mouth shut though(my mothers gene) so I often end up in a situation. Oh well i rarely go out now so not as important. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    brianlux said:

The other day, while I was in line at Bath and Beyond buying a non-slip mat for the bath tube because my wife is getting concerned about one of both of us slipping and falling, the lady behind me started telling me about how unfair gas taxes are because it makes her ROAT (ridiculously oversized American truck) expensive to drive (to the store to buy a kitchen towel, got it) and on an on about wanting to rip all the clean air devices out of her rig etc., blah blah blah.

OK, here's the hook:  Do I argue and defend the environment or or just nod in quasi-agreement?  I nodded.  Why? Because one of the golden rules I learned in Human Services in college is:  "Never challenge someone if you don't want to grow closer to them."  This is nearly universal.  If you challenge someone, you are, to at least some degree, going to grow closer to them.  (Even on a forum like AMT.)
    great perspective
  • Options
    I agree sometimes just a nod and say nothing stops the situation gathering any momentum. Im terrible at keeping my mouth shut though(my mothers gene) so I often end up in a situation. Oh well i rarely go out now so not as important. 
    I was going to add that In many ways, I admire people who say it like it is, who pull no punches.  Some great example- the comedian George Carlin.  Native American writer Sherman Alexie.  Southwest writer and curmudgeon Edward Abbey. Writer, singer, actor, traveler, speaker, all around cool guy Henry Rollins.  All heroes of mine.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Sarcastic smile and walk away ... some times people are just having a bad day.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I do tend to rise to the bait. Not on here but face to face i do 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    have yet to be given a definition of what political correctness means. only a couple examples.

(not entirely true, someone did post something that closely matches with how I choose to see it)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Political correctness is just the new name for having some fucking manners and respect.
    People are all bent out of shape that society is holding them responsible for the things they say which are deliberately meant to piss people off and disrespect others.
    99.9% of people who complain about political correctness are straight white men over the age of 30 for obvious reasons.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I was going to add that In many ways, I admire people who say it like it is, who pull no punches.  Some great example- the comedian George Carlin.  Native American writer Sherman Alexie.  Southwest writer and curmudgeon Edward Abbey. Writer, singer, actor, traveler, speaker, all around cool guy Henry Rollins.  All heroes of mine.
    All more politically correct than not, really.
    It's not opinions and ideas that are politically incorrect, it's the expression of opinions and ideas in deliberately disrespectful ways.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    It's not opinions and ideas that are politically incorrect, it's the expression of opinions and ideas in deliberately disrespectful ways.
    this would be considered politically incorrect, and I think that's okay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0oXY4nDxE
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

I'm starting to think you may have some different views on what political correctness is. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Political correctness is just the new name for having some fucking manners and respect.
    People are all bent out of shape that society is holding them responsible for the things they say which are deliberately meant to piss people off and disrespect others.
    99.9% of people who complain about political correctness are straight white men over the age of 30 for obvious reasons.
    sorry but you are completely full of shit, just making up numbers, and who decides what's correct and what's not? who becomes the PC police, and I would rather have people being honest & authentic so I know just where they stand, than a bunch of people saying what they think you want to hear as to not piss you off. Sticks & Stones will break my bones & names will never hurt me, my valuation of myself comes  from within, so it doesn't fucking matter what name some asshole calls me, at least I know where I stand so I can just avoid that person, we are creating a society of total pansies
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

I'm starting to think you may have some different views on what political correctness is. 
    trust me here in Seattle singing Dude looks like a lady you get some really disgusted looks, because it is considered very much politically incorrect, because it's somehow disrespectful to transgenders or transvestites 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

trust me here in Seattle singing Dude looks like a lady you get some really disgusted looks, because it is considered very much politically incorrect, because it's somehow disrespectful to transgenders or transvestites 

Maybe it's just your singing?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Maybe it's just your singing?
    ha ha, no it's definitely not that, things are completely different living in Seattle as opposed to living in Chicago, a lot of stuff that was cool in Chicago, doesn't necessarily fly here
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    sorry but you are completely full of shit, just making up numbers, and who decides what's correct and what's not? who becomes the PC police, and I would rather have people being honest & authentic so I know just where they stand, than a bunch of people saying what they think you want to hear as to not piss you off. Sticks & Stones will break my bones & names will never hurt me, my valuation of myself comes  from within, so it doesn't fucking matter what name some asshole calls me, at least I know where I stand so I can just avoid that person, we are creating a society of total pansies
    I did totally make that number up, I figured that would be assumed.
    So you don't like PC, you think society should ignore it when crusty old white men call black people n***ers and gay people to be called fags and dykes at will?
    That's the world you are longing for?

Who decides?  The effected parties.  Society in general.  
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    There is a difference between being honest and being a dick.

PC can be taken too far, but lately being antiPC means I can be a dick again.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    I did totally make that number up, I figured that would be assumed.
    So you don't like PC, you think society should ignore it when crusty old white men call black people n***ers and gay people to be called fags and dykes at will?
    That's the world you are longing for?

Who decides?  The effected parties.  Society in general.  
    that's a slippery slope, like Obama having all those journalists jailed using espionage act, when they weren't committing espionage, they were simply just reporting doing their jobs, and I don't think the liars we elect should be left in charge of deciding, when many of them are far more corrupt and dishonest than the people voting for them, and if someone is a racist asshole, at least this way I know it, and I know to avoid them in the future
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    From your pictures, you are a white male. As such, you likely haven’t been on the receiving end of slurs being directed against the race or group that you belong to. That is a very, very different thing than a personal insult from someone who just doesn’t like you. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    From your pictures, you are a white male. As such, you likely haven’t been on the receiving end of slurs being directed against the race or group that you belong to. That is a very, very different thing than a personal insult from someone who just doesn’t like you. 
    I have lived on South Side of Chicago, and I dealt with it, I much stronger and more powerful than any words someone can hurl against me