Are you interested in the Smashing Pumpkins (almost) reunion tour?

huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
edited February 2018 in Other Music
One of my favorite Simpsons exchanges:
Billy Corgan-introducing himself:  Billy Corgan...Smashing Pumpkins
Homer:  Homer Simpson...Smiling politely....

Are you interested in the Smashing Pumpkins (almost) reunion tour? 74 votes

Hell yes...Billy Corgan is God
5%
2-feign-reluctanceDoink317Jvollmanec_young 4 votes
Heck yes....as long as they only play songs from Gish, Siamese Dream and most of Mellon Collie....
24%
nothingman44Ponciernycmalewashedinblack91KP_McMinnredsfan1given2fly23DC29940JK_Livinenfuego15timdwillicjzolyZeldaZonkrummychadaw76BrainOfJHAchitownp76Sweetblue22 18 votes
Um...I would go as long as the tickets aren't too expensive
29%
intodeepTommy311red mosBEnglish017mikesbrielvistheking44BIGDaddyWilLukinFankasedougBeaverhausen209BSullyOnWis97Gern BlanstenRoleModelsinBlood31eeriepadavebuck502000iwasatpj20acpaxton01DarthMaeglinMcGinleyj30 22 votes
Sure....if someone gave me tickets
20%
jeffbrdarwinstheoryNewJPagejamhead64mr bunglegoldrushpapi34curmudgeonessTim SimmonsZodjoberschlakeHughFreakingDillonGtilley8SenlickReads11 15 votes
No way...Billy Corgan is too full of himself
20%
P-Town-P-Jam-FanNo CoderComeToTXpledgeagrievanceThe FixerKC138045SP218311Banjowobbler_kittydansparks81F Me In The Brainajgdrums7814SwellsondeadendpRobZ 15 votes
What is a Smashing Pumpkin
0%
Post edited by huntersthompson on

Comments

• No, but not for the reason you stated:

I saw them once in '94, and they just weren't good. Maybe it was an off night for them, but they sucked hard.

I like some of their songs, but not enough to get me back to one of their shows.

• Never seen them before. So I think I will try to go. I've always liked the music. Not a fan of Billy Corgan. Its not a must see like PJ. Not even in the same ballpark. 
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    No, but not because of Billy Corgan.  I just have no interest in them any more.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    Heck yes....as long as they only play songs from Gish, Siamese Dream and most of Mellon Collie....
    I would go to the show in Chicago, but Ill already be in Missoula for PJ! PJ over all
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    My interest has waned and I'd make very little effort.

I'm in Minnesota and it turns out they are coming here when I'll be in Chicago for Pearl Jam.  And it doesn't really bother me too much.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    Besides a waning interest in "Siamese Dream and Mellon Colie" back in the 90's....I just don't care for their music.
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I would add Adore to that list and even some stuff from Machina.  I hope they stick to the original arrangements.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited February 2018
    Id go if it was free and not on a weeknight.  Free parking too. :lol:

Really cant listen anymore. Idk why.  
  • chadaw76chadaw76 Indianapolis Posts: 289
    I don't care for Corgan but I like the band so I'll go.
    2000: Noblesville, IN
    2010: Noblesville, IN
    2011: PJ20 Night 1
    2013: Wrigley Field, Baltimore
    2014: St. Louis
    2016: Lexington, Fenway I, Wrigley I, Temple of the Dog - NYC
    2017: EV solo - Louisville
    2018: Wrigley 1
    2022: St. Louis
    2023: Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Vegas 1, Noblesville, IN
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    I'm intrigued. Not the biggest Pumpkins fan but I'd throw my name in the hat for any giveaways.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Id go if I got free tickets or super cheap tickets. Ive been trying to revisit the catalog since the reunion talk picked up and I'm not into it the same way as I was when I was 16. I'm not saying the music has aged poorly, but it doesn't resonate with me in the same way.

Its kinda like a class reunion. Kinda nice to catch up and feel whats familiar, but you are just watching the clock to get the fuck outta there and back to normal.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    And its Homer Simpson, smiling politely.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Never seen them before. So I think I will try to go. I've always liked the music. Not a fan of Billy Corgan. Its not a must see like PJ. Not even in the same ballpark. 
    Pun intended???
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    edited February 2018
    Saw them in 96 in a basketball arena.  Basically the entire building, minus a few in the pit stood absolutely still.  Billy had no interest in the crowd and it showed.  Saw them a few years ago in a small theater and it was awesone. Billy talked and joked to the crowd, even made mention of no stupid shit tonight.  I think they blew it by booking arenas, should have kept it small.  No way he sells out the United center.
  • And its Homer Simpson, smiling politely.

Change made....thanks...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Saw them a few times from Mellon Collie to Machina. Then saw them a few times when they first reunited. And Zwan once. Always a crapshoot. Saw some great nights, saw some terrible ones. Agree with Elvis that arenas seems super ambitious. We'll see. That size room and those ticket prices, I'm not interested in rolling the dice.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I’d go just to see Jimmy Chamberlin back on drums. Saw them in 1991, 1994 Lollapalooza, then last on the Adore tour. Great shows one and all, despite Billy calling the crowd termites at the first show, lol.

I’m guessing I’m well in the minority in wishing they’d dig into the entire catalogue though, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I may be interested, but only if they didn't play the deep cuts. Normally, rarities at a show are an unexpected treat, but I think it would be the opposite with SP. There's a lot of crap to wade through on the later albums to find the good stuff
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited February 2018
    I’m on the fence about it. It’s really Just James on guitar that they are bringing back. Jimmy has been in and out of Pumpkins ( I know they had a guy named Mike who was like 19 or 20) for awhile On drums, and Billy was still playing under smashing pumpkins name.Then Jimmy came back so I dunno. I’ve heard they are real hit and miss too. also does James still play in A perfect circle? May be one of those shows where I wait until the day of and last minute.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    red mos said:
    I’m on the fence about it. It’s really Just James on guitar that they are bringing back. Jimmy has been in and out of Pumpkins ( I know they had a guy named Mike who was like 19 or 20) for awhile On drums, and Billy was still playing under smashing pumpkins name.Then Jimmy came back so I dunno. I’ve heard they are real hit and miss too. also does James still play in A perfect circle? May be one of those shows where I wait until the day of and last minute.
    Yeah, he was with APC when I saw them a couple months ago. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I'm probably going to pick up some cheap seats for Detroit.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I was able to pull great seats for Columbus when the sale opened but I'm not spending $300.00 to see them(Sec 107 Row D).  Even $69 each for upper deck is more than I'm willing to spend on this band.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • $125 + fees for the good seats ($147). Hard pass. 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    I am the target audience for this reunion tour and I am pretty meh. Saw them in 1996, 2006  and that was enough. Row 7 tickets are still available for my hometown show in Vegas, so looking forward to getting the Groupon invite!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Out of my circle of people I've talked to about it, I'm the only one that has a remote interest in going.   I saw the perform once at a Lollapalooza (94?) and once in early '97 on the Mellon Collie tour.   They were both pretty damn good shows.

Problem is that I still remember my interest in the Pumpkins waning when Adore came out.  It had some decent songs but I never enjoyed as much as the first four albums (counting Pisces Iscariot, which I love).  It was diminishing returns after that.

I was originally superstoked about the reunion when it sounded like it would be the whole band.    I know it's only he bass player missing, but instead of a reunion it sort of feels like a continuation of where the band left off in it's waning years...

If they were actually playing Vancouver and someone asked me if I wanted to go, I'd probably go.   Problem is that's never going to happen, and I don't feel strongly to organize a group of people to go.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    where is the “I’d rather stick a pencil in my ear” response?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I agree with the sentiment Corgan should of gone for smaller venues to start off this venture ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275

No, but not for the reason you stated:

I saw them once in '94, and they just weren't good. Maybe it was an off night for them, but they sucked hard.

I like some of their songs, but not enough to get me back to one of their shows.

I have to agree.  Saw them in 96 or 97 in my concert going heyday.  But of all the bands that were touring then, I thought they were one of the worst ones live.  They just seemed sloppy and a few jams went on way to long! And Billy didn't seem to give a shit about singing the songs any where near how the records sounded. However Siamese Dream is one of the great albums of the 90's.