March For Our Lives - Parkland Students Demanding Action

brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
edited February 26 in A Moving Train
My daughter is a Senior at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and one of the lucky survivors.
After surviving such a horrific attack, her brave friends and classmates are trying to change the gun laws in this country so something like this never happens again.
They are powerful voices and they are extremely motivated.
Please, if you can, donate to their cause and march with them on March 24.
The Band is already on board through social media. Please help if you can. https://www.marchforourlives.com
(Please sticky)

thank you
-brian
Post edited by brianwp on
«13456733

Comments

  • mfc2006mfc2006 PDX--->KCPosts: 30,566
    Done.

    I’m so glad that your daughter is safe. So sorry that she had to experience such a horrific act. I am so proud of how she and her classmates are responding.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    Thank you so much!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,156
    Just saw this on our news this morning.  Wonderful to put what I can only imagine to be devastation into a positive move.

    How is your daughter doing in the aftermath?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 24,200
    Donation made.  Thanks for doing it, Brian, and best wishes for your daughter and her classmates.
    "We are cruelly trapped between what we would like to be and what we actually are."
    -James Baldwin
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.




  • dignindignin Posts: 6,218
    I am also proud of your daughter and her classmates. These kids are an inspiration and a positive light in some dark times.

    Sending my support here from Canada.
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    hedonist said:
    Just saw this on our news this morning.  Wonderful to put what I can only imagine to be devastation into a positive move.

    How is your daughter doing in the aftermath?
    She is doing good, thank you. Most of these kids are handling this surprisingly well. I’m very proud of them. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 18,967
    I'll def be donating to this great cause will these marches happen throught out the country ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    I'll def be donating to this great cause will these marches happen throught out the country ? 
    That’s their goal. Their website has a place where you can sign up to be notified. https://www.marchforourlives.com
  • What amazing kids! I'm just so sorry they have to deal with this.
    I'm through with screaming
  • stevedsteved Posts: 619
    Brian I am so glad your daughter is safe, I live in Parkland, about a 1/2 mile from where the Douglas High School shooting occurred.

    My next door neighbor is the head football coach, who lost two of his assistant coaches and another was wounded. Another student who lived on my next block was killed. My wife has three close friends who are teachers there, one who's classroom was the first fired upon who lost several children. It has been a rough, rough week for our community.

    Very proud of all of the kids and parents on their resilience and ability to come together.
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta
    1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled)
    1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale
    1997 - Oakland
    1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach
    2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)
    2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG
    2004 - Kissimmee, Fl
    2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas
    2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA
    2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C.
    2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4
    2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG
    2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston
    2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver
    2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale
    2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though!
    2015 - Mexico City
    2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2
    2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (Temple Of The Dog)


    (36 of these shows Setlists to Print or Download)
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243551/35-pearl-jam-setlists-to-print-or-download-from-1994-2015/p1
    or http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/Steved111/media/7 08 95 copy_zpsv1cu6zc7.jpg.html
  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 3,250
    Rise up young people get these old, racist, bigoted, gun nut jobs out of office. 

    It starts with you and ends with them on Fox News as a contributor continuing to spew their hate and archaic ways.
  • Smellyman said:
    Rise up young people get these old, racist, bigoted, gun nut jobs out of office. 

    It starts with you and ends with them on Fox News as a contributor continuing to spew their hate and archaic ways.

    Yes. Win by attrition.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    steved said:
    Brian I am so glad your daughter is safe, I live in Parkland, about a 1/2 mile from where the Douglas High School shooting occurred.

    My next door neighbor is the head football coach, who lost two of his assistant coaches and another was wounded. Another student who lived on my next block was killed. My wife has three close friends who are teachers there, one who's classroom was the first fired upon who lost several children. It has been a rough, rough week for our community.

    Very proud of all of the kids and parents on their resilience and ability to come together.
    Thank you! We are very fortunate. 

    Some of the kids behind MarchForOurLives will be on CNN at 9ET for a Town Hall, along with several Florida Congressmen and a spokesperson for the NRA. it will be worth a watch. 
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    The March For Our Lives movement is already moving the needle (see below). It’s a long road ahead though. The Nationwide marches are one month away, most likely in city near you. Please sign up for one and/or donate to their cause. Thank you.

    https://www.npr.org/2018/02/22/588069939/sen-marco-rubio-backs-down-on-some-gun-ownership-restrictions-at-cnn-town-hall

    http://time.com/money/5172471/nra-enterprise-first-national-bank-of-omaha-boycott-protests/

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/florida-governor-reforms/index.html

    https://www.marchforourlives.com/

  • justBE88justBE88 Posts: 18
    Peace to you and your family!  This tragedy has saddened, inspired, and enraged me like no other.  The efforts the students are making from your daughter’s school are making a HUGE difference nationwide.  I’m on the planning committee for a sister march for our lives in PA, and on Friday decided to quit my job to devote more time and energy to the critical effort of getting a ban of military-style assault rifles.  No life lost is worth this stupid and inaccurate perception  that second amendment rights stretch this far.  If you aren’t active military, there is NO reason to have these killing weapons.   DEMAND THE BAN! 
    “Oh dear dad, can you see me now?  
    I am myself, like you somehow.
    I’ll wait up in the dark for you to speak to me.”
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    Thank you. I couldn’t agree more. 
  • unsungunsung Posts: 8,990
    I hope anyone that walks out is given Saturday Detention.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 4,525
    unsung said:
    I hope anyone that walks out is given Saturday Detention.
    Looking to stir shit up again I see. What's with the hate towards these kids? You've demonized them and ridiculed them since they first spoke out yet you start a thread defending Alex Jones' free speech. Can't you see your hypocrisy?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • unsungunsung Posts: 8,990
    Let them protest on their own time.  My taxes fund their education.  Stay in school.
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    Please don’t respond to trolls. Let’s keep this thread positive and encouraging. 
  • unsungunsung Posts: 8,990
    Saturday or Sunday or after school isn't a good time to protest?  It isn't trolling.  Your kid's education is paid for by taxpayers.  

    That is one of the problems, parents not teaching responsibility.  Organize a Saturday march, do it on their time, not on the taxpayers dime.  It would be a larger impact.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,156
    As a tax payer, I'd be more than happy to know some of it is going toward these efforts.  It IS educational, after all - perhaps not in the traditional sense (the three R's, etc.), but certainly a learning, valuable and long-lasting experience.

    I love that these kids have eschewed apathy in exchange for something positive.  
  • hedonist said:
    As a tax payer, I'd be more than happy to know some of it is going toward these efforts.  It IS educational, after all - perhaps not in the traditional sense (the three R's, etc.), but certainly a learning, valuable and long-lasting experience.

    I love that these kids have eschewed apathy in exchange for something positive.  
    I don't live in the US but if my kids took a stand on this i'd be so proud. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWestPosts: 12,121
    Smellyman said:
    Rise up young people get these old, racist, bigoted, gun nut jobs out of office. 

    It starts with you and ends with them on Fox News as a contributor continuing to spew their hate and archaic ways.
    :clap:
    ___________________________________________

    "...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 18,967
    unsung said:
    Let them protest on their own time.  My taxes fund their education.  Stay in school.
    Let me guess you don’t have kids ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 18,967
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 18,967
    unsung said:
    Saturday or Sunday or after school isn't a good time to protest?  It isn't trolling.  Your kid's education is paid for by taxpayers.  

    That is one of the problems, parents not teaching responsibility.  Organize a Saturday march, do it on their time, not on the taxpayers dime.  It would be a larger impact.
    Like I’ve said what do you know about parenting ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 18,967
    Keep this bumped it bothers me that because they are kids they are not to be taken seriously well f that , they mean just as much as you & I ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianwpbrianwp Posts: 124
    Keep this bumped it bothers me that because they are kids they are not to be taken seriously well f that , they mean just as much as you & I ..
    Thank you. It is strange how some people are dismissing these students because they are young. Do they realize that many will be voting in November? Each one of their voices will carry just as much weight as any other citizen. 
     
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh 38Posts: 432
    Hell yeah. These children's voices need to be heard because they are the ones who will go on to be the decision makers of this world. You get out of life what you put in, and we need to invest in the future of the students. I'm not in America, but that is a global fact. Glad daughter is safe. <3
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
«13456733
Sign In or Register to comment.