What's the most analog sounding rock band?

ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
I was thinkin zeppelin but i have no idea what I'm talking about. 
I just got back into vinyl but if bands are recording digitally what's the point?
Like i said I'm the dumb one. 
I need vinyl and i need it to sound old
Thanks

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited February 2018
    I guess bands recording on a single mick straight to tape.. like in the 50s...

Try some of Neil Youngs 70s albums?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Ok i will
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Yes of course a lot, if not most bands these days are recording digitally, but that doesn’t mean that having their records on vinyl is a bad thing. I have a straight forward 2 channel set up, amp, 2 decent speakers and a turntable, can listen to digital mp3, through it and they sound really good, but when listening to the same band on vinyl it more than likely does sound better. Hard to describe, but I think it just doesn’t sounds as harsh, it sounds smoother and the more I turn it up the better it sounds. In my opinion vinyl (nearly always) beats any other format..

But for that all analog sound I recommend early pressings by a lot of the original punk, post-punk bands like The Clash, Buzzcocks, Talking Heads, Wire, Killing Joke etc, I’m talking 77-80 here when analog recording was still a big thing.
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    reesdog said:
    Yes of course a lot, if not most bands these days are recording digitally, but that doesn’t mean that having their records on vinyl is a bad thing. I have a straight forward 2 channel set up, amp, 2 decent speakers and a turntable, can listen to digital mp3, through it and they sound really good, but when listening to the same band on vinyl it more than likely does sound better. Hard to describe, but I think it just doesn’t sounds as harsh, it sounds smoother and the more I turn it up the better it sounds. In my opinion vinyl (nearly always) beats any other format..

But for that all analog sound I recommend early pressings by a lot of the original punk, post-punk bands like The Clash, Buzzcocks, Talking Heads, Wire, Killing Joke etc, I’m talking 77-80 here when analog recording was still a big thing.
    LOVE my original press of Wire's Pink Flag
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Nothing beats an AB-1060 original version of Steely Dan Aja.  It will make you a believer in analog.  
    Also, an original promo version of Synchronicity is also very, very good. I have the one that is purple and it's excellent.  Sounds 100x better than their original cd's which are terrible.  
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:
    Also, an original promo version of Synchronicity is also very, very good. I have the one that is purple and it's excellent.  Sounds 100x better than their original cd's which are terrible.  
    Thanks for reminding me, that I need to find a copy.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited February 2018
    Some other suggestions:

Blue Cheer: Vincebus Eruptum
    Harvey Mandel: Christo Redentor
    Sandy Bull: E Pluribus Unum

For some reason, these albums with Latin titles strike me as being very analog (plus all three are excellent records!)
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    bflynn1 said:
    reesdog said:

LOVE my original press of Wire's Pink Flag
    Same! I have that too, wow what a band. You should try and get their next two, 'Chairs Missing' and '154', superb shit..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    Here's a few more:

Counting Crowes August and Everything After [45RPM from Analog Production]
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (lots of different versions, pick your favorite.
    John Coltrane - Blue Train (I prefer the mono version from Music Matters

These are all expensive albums, retail, by the way. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:
    I picked up a near mint copy, off of Discogs.  This is definitely an excellent pressing. Love the color of the vinyl. Great recommendation! Thanks!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:
    I picked up a near mint copy, off of Discogs.  This is definitely an excellent pressing. Love the color of the vinyl. Great recommendation! Thanks!
    Nice!  Glad you are enjoying it.   I usually find the reissues are better quality, but there are definitely some original pressings out there that have tremendous sonic range.  This is one of them.