Ohana Fest 2018

Comments

• Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 313
    chiefnjk said:
    I still wouldn't count out Ben Harper (even with a NJ fest the same weekend - he could play Ohana on 9/28 and NJ on 9/30). But definitely less likely. Another act I thought could fit Ohana was Beck - but he already has an LA show on 9/28.
    Beck would be very cool. I was thinking QOTSA could be a possibility. They're definitely part of the PJ family, and I don't see any September tour dates. Maybe too heavy, though...
    Between Josh Homme's recent dickhead photographer-kicking move and Eddie's wife calling him a "piece of shit," I'm going to guess Ohana Fest will be QOTSA-free this year (and for many years to come).
    Yikes. Based on that latter comment, I'd have to agree with you.
  • stonesstones Posts: 187
    Do they sell day tickets for Ohana or just weekend passes?

Completely by luck I just happen to be in SoCal on the weekend of Sept 28-30 and I think I could sell the wife on the idea of going for along for the day if Ed is playing, but not the whole thing.  Especially after I've dragged her around half of Europe for the PJ tour this year!
    edited April 2018
    Edit:  Duplicate post
    Post edited by stones on
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    stones said:

Completely by luck I just happen to be in SoCal on the weekend of Sept 28-30 and I think I could sell the wife on the idea of going for along for the day if Ed is playing, but not the whole thing.  Especially after I've dragged her around half of Europe for the PJ tour this year!
    They sell single day passes 
    stones said:

They sell single day passes 
    Thanks.  Then that swings it.  I have a bit of a sales job to do!
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    I hate to say it, but saw on the news last night that Dana Point is considering exempting the city from the state's sanctuary laws at this week's council meeting. Could easilty see Ed not playing if this happened. Probably a decent chance this is the reason for the delay in announcement. The festival brings a lot of revenue to the city, and they would definitely feel the effects of a cancellation
  • timdwilli said:
    I hate to say it, but saw on the news last night that Dana Point is considering exempting the city from the state's sanctuary laws at this week's council meeting. Could easilty see Ed not playing if this happened. Probably a decent chance this is the reason for the delay in announcement. The festival brings a lot of revenue to the city, and they would definitely feel the effects of a cancellation
    Well, I think the venue is in a state park, so there is that
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    timdwilli said:
    Well, I think the venue is in a state park, so there is that
    True, but it's in Dana Point and the surrounding businesses aren't on state property. I just find it odd that they haven't at least put those dates up on the official website and the twitter account has been inactive since September
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    timdwilli said:
    Great point. I was wondering about this too. Hopefully DP doesn't pass a resolution exempting itself. Was surprised to find out so many Orange County cities (or at least their leadership) would be against the California sanctuary law.

i have a strong feeling Jim James will be involved. he's in LA a bunch and seems to be teasing new material on his social media
    Jim James just announced a new album!
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/jim-james-announces-new-solo-album-uniform-distortion/
    bump. i emailed frontgate and they did not have any info yet about an onsale date.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    chiefnjk said:
    bump. i emailed frontgate and they did not have any info yet about an onsale date.

Thanks for this info. I'm not sure how concerning the lack of any lineup or on-sale information should be. Last year tickets were sold in early March. This year we are approaching the end of April, and not a peep has been heard aside from the dates (though not from the Ohana Fest website itself). Then again, the onsale dates were always wayyyy further in advance of the shows than most other festivals, so this could just be an adjustment to a more normal release schedule.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    chiefnjk said:

Thanks for this info. I'm not sure how concerning the lack of any lineup or on-sale information should be. Last year tickets were sold in early March. This year we are approaching the end of April, and not a peep has been heard aside from the dates (though not from the Ohana Fest website itself). Then again, the onsale dates were always wayyyy further in advance of the shows than most other festivals, so this could just be an adjustment to a more normal release schedule.
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. After all, this is only year 3 of Ohana. Maybe in 2017 they wanted to announce Ohana well in advance of other festivals Ed was also playing that year (i.e. Bourbon and Beyond & Pilgramage--and both of those lineups were announced in April I think).
  • The Ohana Fest website has now been updated with dates and details coming soon.  Cheers!
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    The Ohana Fest website has now been updated with dates and details coming soon.  Cheers!

Nice! At least we know it is happening.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

The Ohana Fest website has now been updated with dates and details coming soon.  Cheers!

Sweet!
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 537
    promo video is sleeping by myself. guess thats one act we know for sure haha
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    The Ohana Fest Twitter says "Passes on sale very soon." We could be getting a lineup announcement today or tomorrow, folks.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    Couple other ideas based on tours in the area around the same time:
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Florence and the Machine
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,308
    timdwilli said:
    San Diego Board of Supervisors just voted this same way...fuck them....I live in SD and I hope all the cities in OC and SD that are voting this way feel some sort of backlash, but I'm afraid they won't. 
    Excellent news! Hopefully we get the lineup this week!
    Based on the timeline of previous years, I'm expecting the lineup to drop on Monday and tickets to go on sale on Friday.

Final lineup prediction (main stages only)...
    Jane's Addiction - Eddie Vedder - Arcade Fire
    St. Vincent - Spoon - Grizzly Bear
    Jim James - Glen Hansard - Sylvan Esso
    Ament - The Messthetics - Angel Olsen

Friday: Angel Olsen - Jim James - Spoon - Jane's Addiction
    Saturday: The Messthetics - Glen Hansard - St. Vincent - Eddie Vedder
    Sunday: Ament - Sylvan Esso - Grizzly Bear - Arcade Fire

If no AF, other headliner guesses would be Jack White, Beck, Ben Harper...

chiefnjk said:

I'm really feeling the Arcade Fire prediction and think there's a pretty good chance it can happen since they'll be in Vegas the weekend prior.

I'm thinking The Voidz are a strong possibility as a subheadliner since they just released new material, have a break in their tour in September, are centered in LA, and of course Julian Casablancas has close ties to Eddie.

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    chiefnjk said:

I like how you're thinking. We saw Arcade Fire last fall, and I had such a great time!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Arcade Fire was probably the best show I saw in 2017. The timing makes sense with them playing Las Vegas the weekend before Ohana and potentially ACL in Austin the weekend after Ohana (ACL lineup announces on Tuesday 5-1).
    Arcade Fire is my favorite live band aside from Pearl Jam. If they were to play Ohana Fest, I'd be ecstatic.

• erin0128elizerin0128eliz South Jersey Posts: 12
    Did anyone else see the teaser video on Instagram? Looks like Mumford & Sons are another headliner.
    the world begins where the road ends...

1998: Camden 1; 2006: Camden 2; 2009: EV Philly 1, Philly 2; 2010: NOLA, Newark; 2011: EV Philly; 2012: MIA Philly, Midtown Atlanta; EV Ft Lauderdale 1; 2013: Philly 1; 2014: Denver; 2015: Mexico City; 2016: Philly 1&2, Quebec, EV Ohana, TOTD NYC; 2017: HOF NYC, EV Sicily 1&2; 2018: Barcelona, Missoula, EV Ohana; 2019: EV Innings, EV Madrid, EV Ohana; 2021: SHN Asbury Park; Ohana Encore 1&2; 2022: EV Newark
    Did anyone else see the teaser video on Instagram? Looks like Mumford & Sons are another headliner.
    Thanks for the heads up. That's kind of a curveball - never would have guessed them as a headliner.