Options

When did you fist get a cell phone?

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited February 2018
    They don't have to justify it, yes.
    Just don't get what's wrong with an older model phone at half the price.
    Why blow so much money on what's new when you can help the homeless by donating some money to that.
    I don't understand why it bothers you that other people spend their money on something they enjoy. But anyway, the reason I buy $1000 phones every few years is because I get pleasure out of what such phones offer me, and yes, of course they are better than the phones that are old and allow me to do thing old ass phones can't. Duh.
    I also donate 4% of every single pay cheque to charity and donate to others as well. I set it up to be deducted automatically. Not that I feel like I should have to explain that to you to justify my appreciation for the latest technology. I think technology is cool and enjoy all the advancements that are constantly happening and I like to stay on top of all of it as well as benefit from it, and that is why I get high end phones. Some people have a genuine interest in technological advancement (and thank god they do, because without such people technology wouldn't advance) People also find these devices extremely useful every day of their lives. And that bothers you because why exactly?? Maybe you should should consider being a lot less judgemental and stop making sweeping assumptions about other people just because they want a good phone,

PS- couldn't we all ask that question you just asked? I mean, you go to concerts, don't you? Well, why blow your money on concert tickets when you could donate it all to charity. I also saw you gorged on pizza last night. Why didn't you donate that pizza money and just eat some rice and greens?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    They don't have to justify it, yes.
    Just don't get what's wrong with an older model phone at half the price.
    Why blow so much money on what's new when you can help the homeless by donating some money to that.
    I don't understand why it bothers you that other people spend their money on something they enjoy. But anyway, the reason I buy $1000 phones every few years is because I get pleasure out of what such phones offer me, and yes, of course they are better than the phones that are old and allow me to do thing old ass phones can't. Duh.
    I also donate 4% of every single pay cheque to charity and donate to others as well. I set it up to be deducted automatically. Not that I feel like I should have to explain that to you to justify my appreciation for the latest technology. I think technology is cool and enjoy all the advancements that are constantly happening and I like to stay on top of all of it as well as benefit from it, and that is why I get high end phones. Some people have a genuine interest in technological advancement (and thanks god they do, because with such people technology wouldn't advance) People also find these devices extremely useful every day of their lives. And that bothers you because why exactly?? Maybe you should should consider being a lot less judgemental and stop making sweeping assumptions about other people just because they want a good phone,

PS- couldn't we all ask that question you just asked? I mean, you go to concerts, don't you? Well, why blow your money on concert tickets when you could donate it all to charity. I also saw you gorged on pizza last night. Why didn't you donate that pizza money and just eat some rice and greens?
    See, I did offend you with my earlier post.
    What can a $1000 phone do that a $500 phone cannot? They all make calls, texts, check emails, take photos/videos.
    What is the big step up in technology between a S7 & S8? Hardly anything I bet. 
    So a $500, few models old phone is now not a good phone? My S5 is old and has been good to me for over 2 years and still going.
    If people want to become obsessed with a phone let them, let them be tech geeks.
    I never said to donate all of your disposable income on charity. I always give money to homeless people on my way to and from university and have donated via credit card many times to numerous causes. For the record my sister and bro in law paid for the pizzas.....
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Oh, and I have not been to a concert in years. There's been many I wanted to go to but I don't work, am on social security.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,459
    Pap said:
    2001. I was 13 back then. 
    I was a tad older :no_mouth:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    No, you didn't offend me with your earlier post or any of them. I'm just calling you out for being so amazingly judgey.

Does your phone fit into virtual reality goggles? Mine does. It's sweet. Is your phone waterproof? Mine is. And I promise you the S8 is far, FAR superior to the S5 (which I used to own myself. It was great for its time), and the functionality of the S7 edge vs the S8+ is actually vastly different - it has tablet functionality - plus it has iris scanning and Bixby, and better resolution and a better camera (I don't yet have the S8+ yet, I'm still good with my S7 edge for maybe another 6 months or a year, but the S8+ is definitely better than my phone). I didn't say older phones weren't adequate for some people's uses. But people who like new technology buy new technology. It isn't pointless. Just because you personally don't care about it doesn't mean everyone else is an idiot. And people who like technology don't have to be "obsessed" or "tech geeks". Holy.

Each generation of smartphone has brand new features and specs. That's a fact, not an opinion.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    very similar to this, as I remember. it was tiny and the battery lasted a few hours.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Yes my S5 is waterproof.
    Why the fk do you need reality goggles for a phone? 

• Options
    Yes my S5 is waterproof.
    Why the fk do you need reality goggles for a phone? 

Um, for fun? And I don't need it. Nobody needs a phone at all. Why the fuck do you need an S5 with you could just have a landline or a flip phone?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    They don't make flip phones anymore.
    I need a S5 because it's a necessity. What if my car breaks down? What if I need to be reached in an emergency by family?
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    They don't make flip phones.
    I need a S5 because it's a necessity. What if my car breaks down? What if I need to be reached in an emergency by family?
    They do too still make flip phones. Also, you can get them for real cheap used. You could probably even find them for free. More money to charity, right? How is an S5 required if your car breaks down or to call someone? Flip phones do that. Also, do you have a TV? You don't need one of those. Read a book.
     I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    They don't make flip phones.
    They do too still make flip phones. Also, you can get them for real cheap used. You could probably even find them for free. More money to charity, right? How is an S5 required if your car breaks down or to call someone? Flip phones do that.
     I'm just pointing out your hypocrisy.
    I don't know about Canada but flip phones do not exist here now. It's all smart phones. And real old phones are incompatible with the current network here....
    I didn't spend much on my S5.
    Around $300.
    Never spent more than that.
    And btw, every phone other than the S5 was on plan, the S5 was the only phone I bought outright and BYO'd to a service provider so I don't have to pay $100 per month for calls/texts/data. Never have I paid more than $40 per month.
    Nowhere have I said people need to give a lot more money to charity.
    A small amount is what I said.
    You're putting words into my mouth/twisting what I said.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    It's called sarcasm.
    That isn't true that no flip phones work in Australia. It only has to be a 3G phone and it will work. There are 3G Flip phones. They are readily available all over the place.
    I think you seem to be missing the point, which is that you are being super judgemental about other people who you know nothing about, and also are basing your judgements on ignorance given that you seem to have no real clue what the newest phones offer anyway.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's called sarcasm.
    That isn't true that no flip phones work in Australia. It only has to be a 3G phone and it will work. There are 3G Flip phones. They are readily available all over the place.
    I think you seem to be missing the point, which is that you are being super judgemental about other people who you know nothing about, and also are basing your judgements on ignorance given that you seem to have no real clue what the newest phones offer anyway.
    Whatever you say....
    Enjoy your phones.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    2001. My employer at the time gave me a Nextel to communicate with the technicians. That thing was annoying as shit and I loathed that beeping, interrupting, no privacy block with an antenna. It took me about 6 months to realize it had a phone option and wasn't just a two-way radio. I wasn't sure if was allowed to use the phone option and so I started using it sparingly and made all local calls... at first... Once I realized no corporate asshole was coming after me with a bill I started experimenting and made a few long distant calls home to my family. After a couple months with no bill, no paycheck deduction and no mention of my phone calls I decided to use that phone like I owned it!! :smiley: 
  • Options
    as they say....”that escalated quickly.” :wink:

BTW, a cell phone is not really a neccessity.....I got thru high school, college and most of my life without one. hell, for two years, I had no phone at all and lived in the middle of nowhere.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

BTW, a cell phone is not really a neccessity.....I got thru high school, college and most of my life without one. hell, for two years, I had no phone at all and lived in the middle of nowhere.
    Yeah, for sure. We all managed before without our worlds calling apart, lol. It is kind if hard to remember exactly what that was loke though, I have to admit. I mean, I remember what I did, but damn, thinking about doing the same things now, it seems like such a pain inbthe ass! And how in the world did we settle bets back then?? :tongue:
  • Options
    for me, pre-cell phone was better times. I am kind of amazed how we still got together with friends.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I'm a bit of a Luddite, that's why I held out til I was 18
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    for me, pre-cell phone was better times. I am kind of amazed how we still got together with friends.
    Yeah, i think I used to just wander around the neighborhood and just run into people doing the same thing and that's how we ended up doing stuff a lot of the time, lol.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Wobbie said:
    Pap said:
    2001. I was 13 back then. 
    I was a tad older :no_mouth:
    :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    edited February 2018

Pap said:
    2001. I was 13 back then. 17 years later and I still have the same mobile phone (and number). :smile:
    You have the same phone today as you had in 2001? Really?
    Yes sir! :smile:  I'm a proud owner of this little gem right here:

And the good news is that one of my cousins recently gave me a brand new one that she had it as a toy for her daughter! :open_mouth:  So, I'm probably going to spend the rest of my life with this little fella in my pocket. :smiley: Come on, I mean what's not to like about it? It has a black and white (the colours of my favourite sports team: PAOK) case. It also comes with a monochromatic (orange) screen. Can you believe that? :smile: I can easily text and make phone calls. I love my cell phone!
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wobbie said:

Same here, Wob (minus the living in the middle of nowhere, though some might debate that).

My goodness, how someone chooses to spend their money is their business.  I may not agree all the time, but I figure either they're spending responsibly or if not, they'll pay for that choice somehow - if not monetarily, then in a lesson sorely learned.

As for my phone, have had this one for a couple of years and works just fine.  Like most other things, I'll use the fuck out of it until it needs to be replaced.

*my husband is not included in the above equation; that one's a keeper =)

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    i think around 2004/2005.  My roommate at the time gave me his old cell phone.  It was a Sprint flip phone.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Wobbie said:

I alway think about how unknown numbers, millions of people are getting, and will get chances to speak to or see a loved one that one last time in emergencies.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?