Options

When did you fist get a cell phone?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited February 2018
    I have had the same phone number since my first phone.
    I have also kept every single phone I have had.
    Will post a photo later.
    I've had the same phone number since my first too... and it was a traumatic experience, lol. I had to change to the brand new area code that came about at that time - it was the first time metro Vancouver had ever picked up a new area code - and I was literally one of the first ones to get it. I doubt more than 50 people had it by then. It was really surprising how much of a freak people thought I was for having this stupid new area code, and having it actually made me feel shitty. :lol:

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Now I need to “fist get” some sleep :)
    I'm leaving that typo there, lol!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm curious as to when you first got a cell phone and how old you were?

I finally decided to get one in 2000 at the ripe age of 25, lol.

This will be interesting to see.

Thanks
    I think my stats are exactly the same as your. Got mine in 2000 at age 25. In fact, my best friend bought it for me for my 25th birthday. I actually still have that phone, lol. A big brick-like Motorola with a pull-out antennae and a leather case with plastic over the screen, haha. I have never had a phone since that had reception as good as that one had.
    I've also save every phone I've had too.  

My first phone was a Verizon flip phone.  I only spent the $200 for it and decided not to spend the $400 on the hotrod Motorola "metal" flip phone...
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have had the same phone number since my first phone.
    I have also kept every single phone I have had.
    Will post a photo later.
    I've had the same phone number since my first two... and it was a traumatic experience, lol. I had to change to the brand new area code that came about at that time - it was the first time metro Vancouver had ever picked up a new area code - and I was literally one of the first ones to get it. I doubt more than 50 people had it by then. It was really surprising how much of a freak people thought I was for having this stupid new area code, and having it actually made me feel shitty. :lol:

Weird. We don't have area codes for mobile phones here.
    I almost changed my number as some idiots kept prank calling me for a regular period.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I don't recall when I first got a cell phone but I remember when I got my first smart phone. 2013, I-phone via AT&T.  What a colossal F up that was. signed a two year deal, "supposedly " paid $.99 cents for the phone but monthly bill was $142.00 for two years.  Did not include unlimited data, I don't think it included unlimited anything. The day my contract was up, tried to transfer plan.  AT&T wouldn't unlock my phone to allow transfer, said I owed early cancellation fee and said I had to delete storage on my phone in order to do so, after paying fee.  I was just trying not to lose service by doing it the day contract ended. They would not budge. I went out, bought an Android phone at Target, changed providers and got smart and use it as a phone and not a computer. I pay less than $28 a month now.  Use my I-phone for music and stored voice mail messages.  I hate AT&T. 
  • Options
    I didn't get my first smart phone until years after everyone else was using them.
    I don't understand why people pay so much per month for their phone plans just so they can have the latest device.
    It's ridiculous. Some pay $100 per month. For me $30-$40 per month is the limit.
    Consumerism...
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Here are all the phones I have ever owned.
    Does not include my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5 as I used it to take this photo.

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I didn't get my first smart phone until years after everyone else was using them.
    I don't understand why people pay so much per month for their phone plans just so they can have the latest device.
    It's ridiculous. Some pay $100 per month. For me $30-$40 per month is the limit.
    Consumerism...
    See that's it TA, why pay that much??  If you have Internet at home, iPad or computer at home . .. cable at home . . why pay for so much for data? Why do you need so much data when you're outside the home, you know when you're at school presumably learning, or at work, presumably earning your paycheck?  It's either money down the drain or the future of society down the drain. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    edited February 2018
    Does not include my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5 as I used it to take this photo.

I think I had 3 of those phones and the one your taking the photo with. My wife had that brick Nokia as her first phone. I remember it had that stupid snake game on it that was so popular.

I've had over a dozen phones, but that's only because I have to carry one for work and we get new ones every 2 years.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Consumerism...
    See that's it TA, why pay that much??  If you have Internet at home, iPad or computer at home . .. cable at home . . why pay for so much for data? Why do you need so much data when you're outside the home, you know when you're at school presumably learning, or at work, presumably earning your paycheck?  It's either money down the drain or the future of society down the drain. 
    It's not the data that makes these plans so expensive. It's paying back that brand new latest release smart phone.
    Herd mentality.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

I think I had 3 of those phones and the one your taking the photo with. My wife had that brick Nokia as her first phone. I remember it had that stupid snake game on it that was so popular.

I've had over a dozen phones, but that's only because I have to carry one for work and we get new ones every 2 years.
    Snake was huge when I was in my last two years of high school. Used to play it in class haha.
    I just noticed in my photo...Motorola in the middle. Like Malcolm.
  • Options
    Wish I kept using my Galaxy S3. There was nothing wrong with it. I only felt I had to buy a new one (my S5) because it got to two years life and usually they go downhill after that plus the S5 was on sale. Hoping my S5 which is just over 2 years old keeps going as phones have gotten so fucking expensive now due to the screen sizes. Expect to pay $500-$600 minimum for an older model Galaxy or iPhone.
    Was thinking about going iPhone for my next phone. I've never had one as you can see. 
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    My first smartphone was a blackberry, loved that beast. But the microphone quit working on it a few years back so I got a new one. Loved that one too and was going to run it until it died. Then I moved to the US and wasn't willing to pay a $120/month plan to keep it. Now I have a galaxy 8 with unlimited data and calling and texting to Canada. Runs me about $75/month. The unlimited data is sweet for Google maps(essential on road trips for detours around accidents etc.) and finding stores/restaurants since I don't know where anything is.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Pap said:
    2001. I was 13 back then. 17 years later and I still have the same mobile phone (and number). :smile:
    You have the same phone today as you had in 2001? Really?

I have the same number too.

I also have the same email address as my fist one back in 1996. 
    hotmail? aol?
    I got my first cell phone in 97 or 98? Hard to remember. I know it was huge, though.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Consumerism...

I don't pay $100/month for my device. I pay $95 for my service and data plan. It is how much it costs to have service, 500 day time minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, voicemail, caller display, and 6GB of data, and optional device insurance. My phone cost me about $500 and included free virtual reality goggles because I got a deal when intended my contract  (It's a $1000 phone). For me, $500 is well worth my smartphone. I have used it for 2 years already and will probably have it for another year, and I love it. Money well spent. I do think my phone bill is too high, but that has nothing to do with my fancy phone. It would be the same amount if I had the shittiest, cheapest smartphone on the market.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2018
    I was 8 or 9. I didn't like day care but both my parents were gone in the morning. I was pretty mature for my age so my parents trusted me get up, get ready for school and walk to the bus stop myself (pretty rare for my generation to get that kind of freedom sadly). When I left the house I would call my dad and talk to him until I got to the bus stop, good memories!
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Consumerism...
    It's not the data that makes these plans so expensive. It's paying back that brand new latest release smart phone.
    Herd mentality.
    That isn't the case where I'm from and with any provider I know of. People buy their phones up front, often with a discount or for free if they sign a contract. future bills have nothing to do with the phone purchase.The cost of the data has literally nothing to do with the phone either.
    Herd mentality? Really? Do you think everyone is that stupid, that they don't even know how their phone plans work and they're just cud chewing consumers who don't even know what they're paying for?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Consumerism...
    Herd mentality.
    That isn't the case where I'm from and with any provider I know of. People buy their phones up front, often with a discount or for free if they sign a contract. future bills have nothing to do with the phone purchase.The cost of the data has literally nothing to do with the phone either.
    Herd mentality? Really? Do you think everyone is that stupid, that they don't even know how their phone plans work and they're just cud chewing consumers who don't even know what they're paying for?
    Seems I have offended you here.
    I'm talking about Australia. No idea about your market.
    People that don't buy their phone outright then go on these super expensive plans.
    Even if you buy outright then go on a BYO plan here, why pay $1000 for a phone?
    People just want to copy other people to be hip. They know what they are paying for. 
  • Options
    No, you haven't offended me. I'm just questioning your attitude towards other people.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, you haven't offended me. I'm just questioning your attitude towards other people.
    What is it tell you when idiots line up for days outside Apple stores just so they can have the brand new iPhone that costs $1000 or more.
    Then people wonder why they cannot afford to put down a deposit on a home.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    What is it tell you when idiots line up for days outside Apple stores just so they can have the brand new iPhone that costs $1000 or more.
    Since you have no knowledge of what their economic circumstances are, I would say you're in no position to judge them. Some people really like those $1000 phones. I would personally never line up for one and won't buy Apple products, but I definitely get every penny's worth out of my own $1000 phone (although I got it for half that with a contract, but still... if they didn't offer those deals I'd pay full price).
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    PJ_Soul said:
    Do you know for sure that people who spend that much on a phone do so at the expense of being able to afford a mortgage? Is it not more likely that those who fork out for the latest models are people with disposable income who actually don't have to sacrifice something else to do so? I find that most people learn to sacrifice such luxuries as their family responsibilities increase
  • Options
    Let them like it.
    What justifies $1000 spent on a phone. A phone.
    All I need it to do is call, text, check social media, check email, read documents, watch youtube, browse news sites.
    Not sure why people must always have the latest device. I am years behind owning an S5 when there's S9 coming soon.
  • Options
    They don't have to justify it. They earned their money and can spend it as they choose. Some people go on holidays, some people buy a nice car, others like to have the latest technology. Most of them worked hard to be able to afford it so good for them
  • Options
    They don't have to justify it, yes.
    Just don't get what's wrong with an older model phone at half the price.
    Why blow so much money on what's new when you can help the homeless by donating some money to that.
  • Options
    By that logic we should all just give our disposable income to charity, that is not a realistic expectation
  • Options
    Oh and for the record, my phone cost €150 and I've had it for 4 years. Only bought it as my last one was stolen and I buy €20 credit about once every 4 months
  • Options
    By that logic we should all just give our disposable income to charity, that is not a realistic expectation
    Not all of it. At least a little bit.
  • Options
    I'm extremely careful with my money and think very carefully before spending any of it. Having said that, I will never tell other people what to do with their money
  • Options
    Neither do I. But I still have opinions.