Options

This is Us

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,951
Is anyone watching this?  I keep hearing how great it is. 

I tuned in for a few minutes a few times and wasn't reeled in but I know some shows need more time than that.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Is anyone watching this?  I keep hearing how great it is. 

I tuned in for a few minutes a few times and wasn't reeled in but I know some shows need more time than that.
    My wife has watched from the beginning.

Basically an emotional drama.  

It was/is based on 3 siblings who are dealing with their perfect dad's early and sudden death.  They have spent 2 years building up and teasing the death.  Now they have had it, I'm not sure if the show has anything left to give.  
  • Options
    GREAT show.

You need to get on this train.  The writing is phenomenal.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    It is a really great show. The whole death build up is actually the least interesting plot point of the show and detracts from the great dialogue and real life type familial issues. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    I wonder what the viewing options are now?  Online maybe?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    The thing that weirded me out last night was the scene where Mandy Moore seems to be talking to her 37 year old son...did I catch that right?  

• Options
    We stream completely online or through the NBC app on the Roku. All the content is there once you create a profile (no cost). If you have cable, just link your provider and all the episodes are available right away. Without a provider you have to wait a week to see the most recent episode. I don't know if that is the case with direct streaming through NBC's website (only watched one episode that way). Nice thing was that NBS Sports app streamed both the game and This Is Us live for free yesterday.
  • Options
    The thing that weirded me out last night was the scene where Mandy Moore seems to be talking to her 37 year old son...did I catch that right?  
    Yep, that's right. She plays like a 60 year old woman in the present day parts.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Yep, that's right. She plays like a 60 year old woman in the present day parts.
    Yeah that caught me funny....she's like 33

• Options
    tbergs said:
    We stream completely online or through the NBC app on the Roku. All the content is there once you create a profile (no cost). If you have cable, just link your provider and all the episodes are available right away. Without a provider you have to wait a week to see the most recent episode. I don't know if that is the case with direct streaming through NBC's website (only watched one episode that way). Nice thing was that NBS Sports app streamed both the game and This Is Us live for free yesterday.
    good info...thanks

I keep forgetting about the apps...still getting used to smart tvs

• Options
    You should watch it just for Sterling K. Brown alone. He's so good.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    The whole cast is good but Kevin is waning on me now.

Toby is great.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    The pilot was awesome but I only made it a few weeks after that. This season kinda seemed like most everyone watching was just waiting for SPOILER to die. Not my thing.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    Yep
  • Options

Toby is great.
    Kevin is my least favorite character. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited February 2018
    Since the OP is asking for opinions, in the spirit of being fair and balanced, here goes.  If you want to hear annoying privileged white people (and one black guy) whine because their dad died like 20 years ago for an hour every week, this show is for you.  The show should be called "Woe Is Me"
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Since the OP is asking for opinions, in the spirit of being fair and balanced, here goes.  If you want to hear annoying privileged white people (and one black guy) whine because their dad died like 20 years ago for an hour every week, this show is for you.  The show should be called "Woe Is Me"

LOL.  That's a perfect summary.  My wife really likes it so I watch it with her, but I pretty much hate all of the characters except Randall and family.  And the whole thing with the mystery about how Jack died was silly....like someone else mentioned, they built up to that so much that it's hard to see where the show goes from here.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

LOL.  That's a perfect summary.  My wife really likes it so I watch it with her, but I pretty much hate all of the characters except Randall and family.  And the whole thing with the mystery about how Jack died was silly....like someone else mentioned, they built up to that so much that it's hard to see where the show goes from here.
    Yeah, I see about every 3 episodes when my wife is watching, though she is more or less aligned with me now.  We get it, your dad died.  Lots of people's parents died, sometimes even more tragically.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited February 2018

Toby is great.
    The wife and I have been watching this show since the beginning.  Kevin has made me cringe since the first show.  Im on the fence that whether he is that good an actor portraying a dick or maybe thats just him, lol

Rest of cast are amazing just confused on Kev.  Great show and well thought out
    Post edited by Nami on
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I love this show, from day one. I understand how it may not appeal to everyone but to each his own. I love how the writing throws out a comical line at the oddest of times.  I love the whole story line, very refreshing. So yeah I'm in for the long haul, already dreading when they decide to end the series. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I just started watching it the other day and ended up watching probably 6 episodes in one day, lol. I think It's fantastic, although I am not entirely sure why. :lol: Somehow they just immediately made me really give a shit about what happens to these people.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Great show. Fantastic portrayal of so many things, grief; addiction, adoption, race relations. Plus a fantastic cast and great writing, just a fantastic show in general. By far my favorite show that is on right now.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Incredible writing. I dont find it whiny (or white privileged? Wow wtf).  Its a smart show. Very real. Definitely in touch.