Options

Spacemen 3

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
Any Spacemen 3 fans here? 

A few years ago, a buddy of mine play Spacemen 3's The Perfect Prescription while I was over visiting and I really dug it.  I wanted to get a vinyl  copy but they were super expensive.  I only just recently found an affordable Fire Records re-issue (sounds great, nice vinyl and cover!) and, man, what a cool, trippy record!

I've often heard tell this is their best LP, but doing some more reading recently, I understand they also put out some other outstanding LP's.  Wondering which ones fans here really dig?  I'd like to delve deeper into their catalogue.

P.S.  As I write this, it feels like I've asked all this before.  Now understand, this is not an age-related forgetfulness situation.  I've just been pre-occupied lately. (Best excuse I can come up with at the moment. :lol:)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    never heard of them, sorry
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    never heard of them, sorry
    I hadn't either until my buddy played The Perfect Prescription for me.  When I heard that I thought, "Why are these guys not better known?"  In the re-issue liner notes on the inner sleeve, R. Hunter Gibson says,

"The Perfect Prescription is an album that will be left out of rock 'n' roll readers just as the great texts bid Bo Diddley throw down is cloak for the quickstep of Eddie Cochran.  If there is eve an untrumpted album, here it is...

It is revolutionary and militant where most angry young rock is liberal at best.  It is extreme and accurate.  Like Aftermath it captures every aspect of the age that would later be analyzed.  As the unassuming soundtrack of a county breaking down and a world breaking up, its very nature means that it has been ignored."

The moods vary quite a bit through out but it is basically a thematic album and best played in its entirety.  Check it out if you get a chance.

Any other Spacemen 3 fans here?  Suggestions for other work of theirs?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.