Options

Ticket Strategy

I was hoping someone could give some advice on a ticket strategy for the Seattle shows. I'll be flying from KC to attend one of the shows and I have never gotten tickets through the Ten Club before. After reading through everything, it sounds like they are going to release a lot of tickets to members. I know it isn't guaranteed, but it sounds like a lot will be released. I also saw that they are using App technology to keep scalpers at bay a bit. This brings me to my questions/issue. I want and will pay for a decent seat. I don't need front row or anything, but I will pay to not be all the way in the back. If I win the lottery and am able to get tickets through the club, will I have much of a choice? I don't want to get stuck with bad seats and not be able to sell them (not for profit, just to get my money back to purchase better seats). What should my strategy be in order to get the best seats? This will be my first Seattle show and I am flying from KC so I want to be as close as I can afford and have a seat. I'm bringing the wife so GA isn't an option.  Thanks for any help/advice.
KC 2010
Lincoln 2014
New York 2016
Seattle 2018
St Louis 2022

EV@ Innings Festival in AZ 2023

Comments

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    If you win lottery you get what they give you....new 10C members get worse seats than long time members (seniority counts)....if you don't want to roll the dice with 10C, try TM verified presale first and see what you get...you KNOW you'll find stuff on secondary.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

If you're not going for GA...
    then your 10 Club member number will determine where your reserved seats will be located.
    If you have a good/low number you'll have better seats...newer members, not so much,
    and with new ticket policy, you really won't have the option to sell both of your 10 Club tickets.

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    jwc6160jwc6160 Posts: 321
    derbydave said:

then your 10 Club member number will determine where your reserved seats will be located.
    If you have a good/low number you'll have better seats...newer members, not so much,
    and with new ticket policy, you really won't have the option to sell both of your 10 Club tickets.

I guess this is my question. I have only been a Ten club member for a couple years so my seats will most likely be terrible. Will there even be a secondary market due to the ticket transfer rules? Since I am a family new member should I consider pulling out of the lottery? Thanks
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    If GA isn't an option, you'll roll the dice on reserved seats. It varies a lot by venue, as well as how many 10c fans want to go there. These shows are big, and there's no science to predicting where you will be.

By the sounds of the ticket info, though, they may have most of the field, lower level (probably the bottom half) and first few rows of the upper level.

Ticketmaster won't get you better seats most likely, and if the regular sale tickets left over after 10c/Verified Fan are a small portion left, you'll be competing with a lot more people.

So I guess there are a few things to remember:
    - GA is closest and manageable, and should be large enough to stay near the back of the pit if you aren't comfortable in large crowds
    - Reserved is a gamble on location, but at least you won't be paying 2-3x for worse seats from a reseller.
    - You can wait for the Ticketmaster Verified Fan sale to see location before you buy, but I'm guessing those will go fast vs entering the lottery.

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    Back of the pit for Wrigely was PACKED to the rail...and cramped...sides of the pit are only places with any room to move
  • Options
    tschav said:
    If GA isn't an option, you'll roll the dice on reserved seats. It varies a lot by venue, as well as how many 10c fans want to go there. These shows are big, and there's no science to predicting where you will be.

By the sounds of the ticket info, though, they may have most of the field, lower level (probably the bottom half) and first few rows of the upper level.

Ticketmaster won't get you better seats most likely, and if the regular sale tickets left over after 10c/Verified Fan are a small portion left, you'll be competing with a lot more people.

- GA is closest and manageable, and should be large enough to stay near the back of the pit if you aren't comfortable in large crowds
    - Reserved is a gamble on location, but at least you won't be paying 2-3x for worse seats from a reseller.
    - You can wait for the Ticketmaster Verified Fan sale to see location before you buy, but I'm guessing those will go fast vs entering the lottery.

So the "worst 10c club seat should still be better than the best ticketmaster verified seat? I am just imagining the secondary market to be brutal with all of the 10c seats taken and the transfer rules. I guess my best option is to stay in the lottery and just take what I get. Has there been an info on pricing. I guess I could in theory do both the lottery and ticketmaster verified and if I get both just try and sell what I can here.
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options

I guess it depends on what you prefer...
    I'd like the security of knowing I have ticket and will be fine with wherever my 10 Club number puts me.
    If where you sit is more important than being "in the building" I'd say do the Ticketmaster Verified Fan option.
    You have absolutely no control of where your tickets are if you buy thru the 10 Club.

'16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    Back of the pit for Wrigely was PACKED to the rail...and cramped...sides of the pit are only places with any room to move
    yeah, I can't risk that with my wife. Plus we like to drink will take a bathroom break or two.
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    jwc6160 said:
    derbydave said:

I guess this is my question. I have only been a Ten club member for a couple years so my seats will most likely be terrible. Will there even be a secondary market due to the ticket transfer rules? Since I am a family new member should I consider pulling out of the lottery? Thanks
    I think terrible is likely hyperbole.  When I first joined and got 10C tickets I was pleasantly surprised at them not being too bad.  They have screens...and the sound is not going to be great regardless in that place.  So...it is about the experience and I think you are going to have a great experience regardless if you go on this trip.
    (BTW, I love to pay to be up close.  With some bands you can do that -- Pearl Jam really isnt that sort of band.  Your best bet is to offer to trade a Benny to be someone with a very low 10C #'s ticket buddy if you are traveling solo.  I joke about a Benny but something like that isn't a bad idea vs. trying to get secondary market great seat for a PJ show. )
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Looks the secondary market might not be a good option either!!

• Options
    derbydave said:

Looks the secondary market might not be a good option either!!
    This is the best thing I've seen/read all day!
  • Options
    jwc6160 said:
    derbydave said:

I think terrible is likely hyperbole.  When I first joined and got 10C tickets I was pleasantly surprised at them not being too bad.  They have screens...and the sound is not going to be great regardless in that place.  So...it is about the experience and I think you are going to have a great experience regardless if you go on this trip.
    (BTW, I love to pay to be up close.  With some bands you can do that -- Pearl Jam really isnt that sort of band.  Your best bet is to offer to trade a Benny to be someone with a very low 10C #'s ticket buddy if you are traveling solo.  I joke about a Benny but something like that isn't a bad idea vs. trying to get secondary market great seat for a PJ show. )
    Fair points. I am just excited for my first Seattle show and want to make it the best experience possible especially for my wife as she pretty much just tags along with me. I guess I will just stay in the lottery and see what happens.  One last question though. Can I pull out of the lottery after being guaranteed tickets? For example, can i do ticketmaster verified and see what seats are offered and if they are decent and purchase those, can I remove my name from the 10c lottery even though I have a spot there?
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    10 C lottery is prior to Ticketmaster will share any of that info I believe.
  • Options
    BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    edited January 2018
    jwc6160 said:
    jwc6160 said:
    derbydave said:

Fair points. I am just excited for my first Seattle show and want to make it the best experience possible especially for my wife as she pretty much just tags along with me. I guess I will just stay in the lottery and see what happens.  One last question though. Can I pull out of the lottery after being guaranteed tickets? For example, can i do ticketmaster verified and see what seats are offered and if they are decent and purchase those, can I remove my name from the 10c lottery even though I have a spot there?
    No. Once your name is pulled, your credit card is charged and you're on the hook for the tickets. 

I think "bad" 10c seats are going to be on par or better than any TM seats. Remember 10c has all the best seats so "good" seats shouldn't be on TM at all. I'd rather sit in a 10c section than with more casual fans if the seats are gonna be similar.
    Post edited by Banjo on
  • Options
    jwc6160 said:
    jwc6160 said:
    derbydave said:

The Verified Fan sale on Ticketmaster is after the 10 Club lottery...
    Once you have your 10 Club tickets, they are YOURS!!

• Options
    Ok, last stupid question for you future seers. In your opinions, what will be the most popular Seattle show? I am probably going to have to go to the second due to travel, but could possibly make the first night work. 

thanks again for all of the answers. looking forward to the show.
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,743
    jwc6160 said:
    Ok, last stupid question for you future seers. In your opinions, what will be the most popular Seattle show? I am probably going to have to go to the second due to travel, but could possibly make the first night work. 

thanks again for all of the answers. looking forward to the show.
    History shows night 1 is usually more popular for back to back shows but with the second night being on a weekend it may be different for Seattle. 
  • Options
    I saw elsewhere on the boards where loads of people were saying Night 2 is always best.  My personal preference is Night 1.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    jwc6160 said:
    tschav said:

So the "worst 10c club seat should still be better than the best ticketmaster verified seat? I am just imagining the secondary market to be brutal with all of the 10c seats taken and the transfer rules. I guess my best option is to stay in the lottery and just take what I get. Has there been an info on pricing. I guess I could in theory do both the lottery and ticketmaster verified and if I get both just try and sell what I can here.
    There are some very good and very crappy 10c seats.
    I think they even stated they had to expand the 10c seats farther back due to the volume of tickets. I've been to shows where friends who bought from TM had better tickets than mine, and I've been as close as 8th row 2 or 3 times. its a roll of the dice.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    best time ever
  • Options
    ReleaseMeReleaseMe Mississauga, Ontario Posts: 745
    jwc6160 said:
    I was hoping someone could give some advice on a ticket strategy for the Seattle shows. I'll be flying from KC to attend one of the shows and I have never gotten tickets through the Ten Club before. After reading through everything, it sounds like they are going to release a lot of tickets to members. I know it isn't guaranteed, but it sounds like a lot will be released. I also saw that they are using App technology to keep scalpers at bay a bit. This brings me to my questions/issue. I want and will pay for a decent seat. I don't need front row or anything, but I will pay to not be all the way in the back. If I win the lottery and am able to get tickets through the club, will I have much of a choice? I don't want to get stuck with bad seats and not be able to sell them (not for profit, just to get my money back to purchase better seats). What should my strategy be in order to get the best seats? This will be my first Seattle show and I am flying from KC so I want to be as close as I can afford and have a seat. I'm bringing the wife so GA isn't an option.  Thanks for any help/advice.
    If you win lottery you get what they give you....new 10C members get worse seats than long time members (seniority counts)....if you don't want to roll the dice with 10C, try TM verified presale first and see what you get...you KNOW you'll find stuff on secondary.
    gotthebottle is right, depending on your seniority number... to put it in to perspective, I have 508xxx and was designated behind homeplate in Wrigley N1... it is quite further back, but still had a good experience since the block was filled with other 10C members, I tried my luck over at the MLB site at the day of ticket release - couldn't generate a hit

T
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    ReleaseMe said:
    jwc6160 said:
    gotthebottle is right, depending on your seniority number... to put it in to perspective, I have 508xxx and was designated behind homeplate in Wrigley N1... it is quite further back, but still had a good experience since the block was filled with other 10C members, I tried my luck over at the MLB site at the day of ticket release - couldn't generate a hit

T
    haha. I'm 606---. Been a fan since the beginning but never did 10c until recently.  The main reason I'm worried about it is that since its a baseball stadium and not an arena, I think this really increases the amount of bad seats or at least seats further away. I know I'm there for the experience and will have a good time regardless, but would still like an option to pay to upgrade. I guess I will roll the dice. I wish I could see where my seats will be before the ticketmaster verified. I still may try and purchase both and maybe sell one of the 10c seats here and eat the other one if the tickemaster seats are better. Damn bots and ticket brokers ruin everything. I am all for shutting them out, but I wish there could still be a secondary market for fans to buy and sell
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    OK I lied, another dumb question. Say I get both 10c and ticketmaster tickets. If the TM seats are better, is there anything stopping me from posting here and selling my tix to someone and meeting them at the stadium before hand and walking in together so they can use my phone for the 2 tickets and i will go in with my ticketmaster or vice versa for that matter? That would seem to be the best option to "sell" your 10c tickets. It obviously includes a level of trust that the person (or I) would meet up and follow through, but seems like it could happen. 
    KC 2010
    Lincoln 2014
    New York 2016
    Seattle 2018
    St Louis 2022

• Options
    Banjo said:
    jwc6160 said:
    jwc6160 said:
    derbydave said:

No. Once your name is pulled, your credit card is charged and you're on the hook for the tickets. 

I think "bad" 10c seats are going to be on par or better than any TM seats. Remember 10c has all the best seats so "good" seats shouldn't be on TM at all. I'd rather sit in a 10c section than with more casual fans if the seats are gonna be similar.
    10 club doesn’t have ALL the good seats. In 2016 I was field level with general sale tickets and I know some 10club were way up in the stands.
  • Options
    Best bet is to get your tickets when they go on sale to everyone else. It will be expensive but you'll get to pick your seats. My brother was a paying member for 5 years and we were way in the back with the 10club tickets in 2016. I'm not going 10club, I'll pay more and get good tickets.
  • Options
    This is a worthwhile discussion.  I would not be excited to receive 300 level upper deck tickets through the Ten Club lottery.  I would prefer to try my luck with TM honestly.  If the band is really making many more tickets available through the club, that means they are going to be all over the place.

Also, it is unclear that membership # matters this time.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, they make it crystal clear in the presale instructions that lower membership numbers get the best seats if they are randomly selected in the lottery.  There is no such mention of any role of membership numbers this time.  Because they always make a point of describing this in detail in the past, and have ommitted any discussion of this this time around, I interpret this as meaning that the whole thing is being handled by lottery without consideration of membership number.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I was right in the middle of the pit for Wrigley 2, and everyone had enough personal space. It's not like everyone's body's were crammed against each other.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    on_board said:
    This is a worthwhile discussion.  I would not be excited to receive 300 level upper deck tickets through the Ten Club lottery.  I would prefer to try my luck with TM honestly.  If the band is really making many more tickets available through the club, that means they are going to be all over the place.

Also, it is unclear that membership # matters this time.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past, they make it crystal clear in the presale instructions that lower membership numbers get the best seats if they are randomly selected in the lottery.  There is no such mention of any role of membership numbers this time.  Because they always make a point of describing this in detail in the past, and have ommitted any discussion of this this time around, I interpret this as meaning that the whole thing is being handled by lottery without consideration of membership number.
    Seniority still matters
    What part of this from the TenClub ticketing info is unclear?

Reserved Seating: 
In order to accommodate more Ten Club members than ever before, please be aware Ten Club seated tickets will be spread further back than usual, and include some of the best seat locations in the house. For Seattle, Chicago and Boston this includes seats on the field, seats in the lower level of the bowl and seats in the front rows of the upper level. For Missoula, seats are located throughout the 100 level. Reserved seated tickets are assigned to members based on seniority in the Ten Club and will start closest to the stage extending back.
  • Options
    on_board said:

Seniority still matters
    What part of this from the TenClub ticketing info is unclear?

Reserved Seating: 
In order to accommodate more Ten Club members than ever before, please be aware Ten Club seated tickets will be spread further back than usual, and include some of the best seat locations in the house. For Seattle, Chicago and Boston this includes seats on the field, seats in the lower level of the bowl and seats in the front rows of the upper level. For Missoula, seats are located throughout the 100 level. Reserved seated tickets are assigned to members based on seniority in the Ten Club and will start closest to the stage extending back.
    I guess the way I read that, I thought it had something to do with Missoula only.  Thanks for highlighting.
  • Options
    OP...There will be plenty of 10C tickets allocated for the upper deck.  You basically have no chance of good seats through the 10C if you are not interested in the GA option.  Your best bet is to register for the verified thing, if you don't pull something you like, go buy on a scalper site that is not called Stubhub.  If you have never been to a PJ show and are flying out to Seattle, its  a big expense to sit a mile away from the band.  I'd over-pay and upgrade to the field if you are in a position to do so.
    Gorge