Options

Baseball Hall of Fame 2018

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    bonds didn't get in? i thought writers were warming up to him?
    They are. Bonds and Clemons got over 50%. You need 75% (I think) to get in. That's up a lot from their first years of eligibility.  They will get in eventually. All of thrm will. Bonds, Clemons, McGuire, Sosa....

mcgruff10 said:
    I don't consider edgar a hof.  mcgriff.....border line i guess.  The four that got in are all solid.
    Why not? Because he was a DH? How many players can you name that made the hall of fame because of their defense? I can think of one. Bill Mazeroski. 

Edgar certainly has the numbers to be in.

I'd say Ozzie Smith got in because of defense.

Not too many other .262 lifetime hitters with 28 career HR were first ballot HOFers.

No cubby fans here?

Evers to Tinker To Chance...

Three people made famous for their defense from a poem!

Actually its Tinkers to Evers to Chance.
    I'm shocked someone else actually knows it!!!

That's how I learned about them in a book about baseball!
    The poem is actually called Baseball's Sad Lexicon, but popularly referred to a T>E>C because of the repeated use of the line.

"Making a Giant hit into a double
    Words that are heavy and nothing but trouble
    Tinker to Evers to Chance"
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Edgar does have the numbers. You don't have to have 500 homeruns to get in. That was just the number that made you an automatic shoe in. But Edgars numbers do stack up nicely with power hitters in the ball with under 500 homeruns.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    If Edgar is a Hall of Famer then so is Don Mattingly
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    I've always thought Donny baseball was a hall of famer. If he played on the Yankees in the mid to late 90s with that lineup, his numbers would be so much better. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    They are. Bonds and Clemons got over 50%. You need 75% (I think) to get in. That's up a lot from their first years of eligibility.  They will get in eventually. All of thrm will. Bonds, Clemons, McGuire, Sosa....

mcgruff10 said:
    I don't consider edgar a hof.  mcgriff.....border line i guess.  The four that got in are all solid.
    Why not? Because he was a DH? How many players can you name that made the hall of fame because of their defense? I can think of one. Bill Mazeroski. 

Not too many other .262 lifetime hitters with 28 career HR were first ballot HOFers.

No cubby fans here?

I actually first learned of them from The Brady Bunch.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    Edgar does have the numbers. You don't have to have 500 homeruns to get in. That was just the number that made you an automatic shoe in. But Edgars numbers do stack up nicely with power hitters in the ball with under 500 homeruns.

"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    igotid88 said:
    I've always thought Donny baseball was a hall of famer. If he played on the Yankees in the mid to late 90s with that lineup, his numbers would be so much better. 

and if mays and aaron seitched stadiums, willie might be the all time HR leader.

ya can’t make those “if” arguments for the HOF.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    If Barry Larkin is a HOFer, Edgar Martinez certainly is.  But Larkin doesn't belong, imo.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    igotid88 said:

and if mays and aaron seitched stadiums, willie might be the all time HR leader.

ya can’t make those “if” arguments for the HOF.
    it's not like he didn't have the numbers. If he had a World Series under his belt. He would be in.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

mcgruff10 said:

No cubby fans here?

I actually first learned of them from The Brady Bunch.
    Not kidding but had to look this up.  Never knew they were mentioned on the Brady bunch!?!

You learn something new every day!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,014
    edited January 2018
    Wobbie said:
    I hate BBHOF voters. They are all uppity bitches.  Edgar and McGriff should be in. 
    Chipper, Thome, and Hoffman are no brainers. I guess I never considered Vlad a HOFer.  But that dude could hit a baseball and had a cannon of an arm.
    Yep.  Baseball HOF voters are the worst. 

Ken Griffey Jr. somehow wasn't unanimously voted in last year.  Even fucking Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous vote!  Bunch of pretentious douchebags.

griffey may have juiced :wink:

also, I wonder (seriously) what would have been the fastest pitch fat babe ever had to hit.
    Have you watched Fastball on Netflix? They try to sort out how hard guys were throwing back then.
    Yea, looks like guys like Walter Johnson was throwing around 94mph. Ifbi remember right, Nolan Ryan threw the fastest pitch at 108?? Ambi remembering that right? 

Even so, the fields were generally bigger back then.
    Yeah, they accounted for how and where the pitches were measured from and recalculated to figure out how they compared to today's fastballs.

Edit - 108 is nasty
    I thought Mark Wholers thew the fastest pitch ever at 103 but looked it up and it Aroldis Chapman at 105.1.

Learned something else new today!
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Wobbie said:
    I hate BBHOF voters. They are all uppity bitches.  Edgar and McGriff should be in. 
    Chipper, Thome, and Hoffman are no brainers. I guess I never considered Vlad a HOFer.  But that dude could hit a baseball and had a cannon of an arm.
    Yep.  Baseball HOF voters are the worst. 

Ken Griffey Jr. somehow wasn't unanimously voted in last year.  Even fucking Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous vote!  Bunch of pretentious douchebags.

griffey may have juiced :wink:

also, I wonder (seriously) what would have been the fastest pitch fat babe ever had to hit.
    Have you watched Fastball on Netflix? They try to sort out how hard guys were throwing back then.
    Yea, looks like guys like Walter Johnson was throwing around 94mph. Ifbi remember right, Nolan Ryan threw the fastest pitch at 108?? Ambi remembering that right? 

Even so, the fields were generally bigger back then.
    Yeah, they accounted for how and where the pitches were measured from and recalculated to figure out how they compared to today's fastballs.

Edit - 108 is nasty
    I thought Mark Wholers thew the fastest pitch ever at 103 but looked it up and it Aroldis Chapman at 105.1.

Learned something else new today!
    Yeah, I think the argument for Ryan was how they used to point the radar near the plate. Then they started tracking closer to the mound, inflating the modern speeds. 
  • Options
    Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and Palmiero should all be in!
  • Options

• Options
    sammy sosa is not HOF.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,881
    clemens and bonds were beasts before using steroids and I believe they should be in.  The other three, no way, especially Sosa.  That dude became a freak of nature after taking roids.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    sammy sosa is not HOF.
    Don't be dumb. Dude has over 600 homeruns
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited January 2018
    Sosa never showed he could mash without the juice. 

McGwire was hitting balls 600’ when he was a beanpole, has come clean, and is back in the game and shown that he knows hitting.

Anybody questioning Vlad should check the numbers or start watching highlight reels. Dude could hit from his bill to his shoelaces and had a freaking hose. One of the handful of best players for his whole career.

Donnie Baseball, no way. You say if you put him bin a good lie up he’s a lock, I say put him somewhere besides NY and nobody is giving him a second look for the HoF.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

McGwire was hitting balls 600’ when he was a beanpole, has come clean, and is back in the game and shown that he knows hitting.

Anybody questioning Vlad should check the numbers or start watching highlight reels. Dude could hit from his bill to his shoelaces and had a freaking hose. One of the handful of best players for his whole career.

Donnie Baseball, no way. You say if you put him bin a good lie up he’s a lock, I say put him somewhere besides NY and nobody is giving him a second look for the HoF.
    Sosa was a 30-30 guy before juicing.  Why does no one remember that?!?

I LOVED Vlad and that he gave his soul to the Angels but he just didn't have the numbers to get in.  This is why the HOF is not as exclusive as it once was and why I think the writers STILL have it wrong.  The Hall of Good...

With this type of thinking Mattingly will be let in...
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    Wobbie said:
    sammy sosa is not HOF.
    you're 100% correct. No way in hell Sammy Sosa is a Hall of Famer 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Mattingly played with a bad back the last 7-8 years. Still put up respectable numbers some players need 20 seasons to get. Was a great defender. Unfortunately they don't value first basemen. Alan Trammell and Jack Morris are getting in. Both are iffy and didn't play for NY.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Do you think marino rivera be the first unanimous first ballot hall of famer?
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    mcgruff10 said:

after seeing how Griffey didn't get all unanimous...who knows? 
    He (Rivera) definitely deserves it

• Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    mcgruff10 said:

after seeing how Griffey didn't get all unanimous...who knows? 
    He (Rivera) definitely deserves it

yeah I still can't figure out how The Kid did not get 100%.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

hell, no.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Nobody will ever be a unanimous shoe in.
  • Options
    PRL1JAM said:
    Wobbie said:
    sammy sosa is not HOF.
    you're 100% correct. No way in hell Sammy Sosa is a Hall of Famer 
    Over 600 homeruns. Of course he is
  • Options
    Home runs aside, Sammy Sosa an Mark McGwire should be in for the simple fact that they saved baseball in the 90s.
  • Options
    Home runs aside, Sammy Sosa an Mark McGwire should be in for the simple fact that they saved baseball in the 90s.
    Ain't that the truth!
  • Options
    I remember watching pearl jam on stage in east rutherford, nj in '98 and that moment ed heard that mcgwire has broken the record...such a cool moment.