Options

Baseball Hall of Fame 2018

xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
Congratulations to those who are in the new class of the Hall of Fame:

Chipper Jones
Vladimir Guerrero
Jim Thome
Trevor Hoffman

Disappointed McGriff and Edgar didn't make the cut, but what are you going to do?
Reading 2004
Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
Chicago 2007
Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
Fenway 2, 2018
MSG 2022
St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
"I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
Things happen in the game. Nothing you
can do. I don't go and say,
"I'm gonna beat this guy up."

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I hate BBHOF voters. They are all uppity bitches.  Edgar and McGriff should be in. 
    Chipper, Thome, and Hoffman are no brainers. I guess I never considered Vlad a HOFer.  But that dude could hit a baseball and had a cannon of an arm.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    solid list.  congrats to all.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,322
    I'm not sure about Hoffman
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    I don't consider edgar a hof.  mcgriff.....border line i guess.  The four that got in are all solid.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    bonds didn't get in? i thought writers were warming up to him?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    They are. Bonds and Clemons got over 50%. You need 75% (I think) to get in. That's up a lot from their first years of eligibility.  They will get in eventually. All of thrm will. Bonds, Clemons, McGuire, Sosa....

mcgruff10 said:
    I don't consider edgar a hof.  mcgriff.....border line i guess.  The four that got in are all solid.
    Why not? Because he was a DH? How many players can you name that made the hall of fame because of their defense? I can think of one. Bill Mazeroski. 

Edgar certainly has the numbers to be in.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    I hate BBHOF voters. They are all uppity bitches.  Edgar and McGriff should be in. 
    Chipper, Thome, and Hoffman are no brainers. I guess I never considered Vlad a HOFer.  But that dude could hit a baseball and had a cannon of an arm.
    Yep.  Baseball HOF voters are the worst. 

Ken Griffey Jr. somehow wasn't unanimously voted in last year.  Even fucking Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous vote!  Bunch of pretentious douchebags.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    They are. Bonds and Clemons got over 50%. You need 75% (I think) to get in. That's up a lot from their first years of eligibility.  They will get in eventually. All of thrm will. Bonds, Clemons, McGuire, Sosa....

mcgruff10 said:
    Why not? Because he was a DH? How many players can you name that made the hall of fame because of their defense? I can think of one. Bill Mazeroski. 

exactly.  I don't think a dh should be in the hof.  was he ever a mvp?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Ken Griffey Jr. somehow wasn't unanimously voted in last year.  Even fucking Babe Ruth wasn't a unanimous vote!  Bunch of pretentious douchebags.
    I can understand why Ruth wasn't. It was the first class and he rubbed people the wrong way. 

IT is absolutley absurd that guys like griffey, Mike Schmidt,  Nolan Ryan, Rickey Henderson, and others like that aren't all unanimously voted in. The worst are guys that say "yea, he's a hall of famer,  just not a first ballot hall of famer." How fucking stupid does that sound? What's the fucking difference if it's the first or 4th time on the ballot?

Anyone that didn't vote for ken griffey Jr should lose their vote. And part of the problem is that voters can only vote for 10 guys. Which is stupid. A voter should be able to vote for whoever is eligible. It makes no sense to limit the number of people you can vote for.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,221

mcgruff10 said:

I'd say Ozzie Smith got in because of defense.

Not too many other .262 lifetime hitters with 28 career HR were first ballot HOFers.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452

griffey may have juiced :wink:

also, I wonder (seriously) what would have been the fastest pitch fat babe ever had to hit.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Poncier said:

mcgruff10 said:

Not too many other .262 lifetime hitters with 28 career HR were first ballot HOFers.

Youre absolutely right. I forgot about him. But that's still only 2
  • Options
    Poncier said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yet Omar Visquel doesn't. Unfortunately he played at the time of ARod, Jeter, Nomar
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

also, I wonder (seriously) what would have been the fastest pitch fat babe ever had to hit.

Griffey most likely juiced, just never got caught and people liked him so reporters didn't try and dig up dirt on him.
    His power stats are a perfect bell curve showing the years he juiced and his body breaking down at the end is another tell tale sign.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I can understand why Ruth wasn't. It was the first class and he rubbed people the wrong way. 

IT is absolutley absurd that guys like griffey, Mike Schmidt,  Nolan Ryan, Rickey Henderson, and others like that aren't all unanimously voted in. The worst are guys that say "yea, he's a hall of famer,  just not a first ballot hall of famer." How fucking stupid does that sound? What's the fucking difference if it's the first or 4th time on the ballot?

Anyone that didn't vote for ken griffey Jr should lose their vote. And part of the problem is that voters can only vote for 10 guys. Which is stupid. A voter should be able to vote for whoever is eligible. It makes no sense to limit the number of people you can vote for.
    Exactly.  If someone's a hall-of-famer, they're a hall-of-famer.  The player has already put in their time and effort. Now you want to make them wait to get in the hall like it's some fucking mental trial or something?  So stupid.

I agree, if you want to vote for everyone eligible, you should be able to do so.  Not just for 10 people.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'm good with this year's class except for one thing...  Bonds should've gotten in.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Wobbie said:

Have you watched Fastball on Netflix? They try to sort out how hard guys were throwing back then.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Have you watched Fastball on Netflix? They try to sort out how hard guys were throwing back then.
    Yea, looks like guys like Walter Johnson was throwing around 94mph. Ifbi remember right, Nolan Ryan threw the fastest pitch at 108?? Ambi remembering that right? 

Even so, the fields were generally bigger back then.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited January 2018
    Wobbie said:

Yea, looks like guys like Walter Johnson was throwing around 94mph. Ifbi remember right, Nolan Ryan threw the fastest pitch at 108?? Ambi remembering that right? 

Even so, the fields were generally bigger back then.
    Yeah, they accounted for how and where the pitches were measured from and recalculated to figure out how they compared to today's fastballs.

Edit - 108 is nasty
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    It's cool that the people being inducted now are players that I actually grew up watching. Nice to see Thome get in
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    edited January 2018
    As a Braves fan, definitely happy to see Chipper make it in. He and Tom Glavine were my favorite players as a kid. The other 3 are definitely deserving as well. I was on the fence about Vlad, but I'm ok with him there. I grew up about 10 minutes from where the Charlotte, NC AAA team played. They were an Indians affiliate for a couple of years and one of those teams had Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez. I think it was the 1994 season. You could tell even then that both of them were going to great.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

exactly.  I don't think a dh should be in the hof.  was he ever a mvp?

if a relief pitcher should be, why not a DH?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Poncier said:

mcgruff10 said:

No cubby fans here?

Evers to Tinker To Chance...

Three people made famous for their defense from a poem!
  • Options
    Hoffman would have been reveled as Great if he didn't happen to be playing the same time that Rivera was playing.

Jones was an amazing bat and fielder.

Thome was class and a good hitter, good fielder too.

Vladimir I loved.  Loved him.  He is not a HOF player though...

Hopefully Bonds and Clemens get in soon.  

Edgar Martinez doesn't have the numbers so everyone needs to stop with him going in.  He doesn't have any of the big numbers.

When Pappi Ortiz is eligible he will get in because he has that magical 500HR in his reume.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

mcgruff10 said:

No cubby fans here?

Actually its Tinkers to Evers to Chance.
  • Options

When Pappi Ortiz is eligible he will get in because he has that magical 500HR in his reume.

And the 3 titles and numerous clutch post season hits.
  • Options
    Hoffman would have been reveled as Great if he didn't happen to be playing the same time that Rivera was playing.

Jones was an amazing bat and fielder.

Thome was class and a good hitter, good fielder too.

Vladimir I loved.  Loved him.  He is not a HOF player though...

Hopefully Bonds and Clemens get in soon.  

Edgar Martinez doesn't have the numbers so everyone needs to stop with him going in.  He doesn't have any of the big numbers.

Hoffman feels more like a compiler. Also wasn't great when it counted.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

mcgruff10 said:

No cubby fans here?

Actually its Tinkers to Evers to Chance.
    I'm shocked someone else actually knows it!!!

That's how I learned about them in a book about baseball!
  • Options
    Poncier said:

And the 3 titles and numerous clutch post season hits.
    Titles mean squat in the baseball world.  That only holds weight in Bball and football.

Baseball was a numbers game up until the hall of fame became the Hall of good the last few inductions...
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    Poncier said:
    Wobbie said:

Griffey most likely juiced, just never got caught and people liked him so reporters didn't try and dig up dirt on him.
    His power stats are a perfect bell curve showing the years he juiced and his body breaking down at the end is another tell tale sign.
      I know he was addicted to nerve tonic that gave him gigantism.
    Image result for griffey simpsons
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly