Opening band for the Seattle shows?

I know there are a lot of grumpy ”EVENING WITH PJ!!!” people in here. But I always dig a nice opening band. 

You think there will be one at the home town shows? 

Guests are certain I reckon. 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,136
    angry clint eastwood GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Wouldn't mind seeing Alice in Chains 
  • nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,431
    Would love Mudhoney or Lanegan personally...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Please not Mudhoney.
    Please not anyone.  I am not grumpy but would most enjoy the Evening With PJ.  :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,817
    please no opening bands.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 776
    I would prefer guest appearances over an opener
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    please no opening bands.
    You're SO grumpy, Gruff!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    No need for an opening band unless they want to use it as an excuse to start playing shorter shows. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,762
    There will definitely be opening bands, it would not have been referred to as "Headlining" otherwise.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited January 2018
    I do not like openers at PJ shows.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    please no opening bands.
    You're SO grumpy, Gruff!
    I said please!!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    We've been spoiled by the three hour shows of the Evening With era.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Plus if they slow songs down.... ..... ....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041 said:
    There will definitely be opening bands, it would not have been referred to as "Headlining" otherwise.  

I totally agree with this.  I don't think it's a question of "will there be" but "which" opening band/act.  
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Why would anyone want less Pearl Jam?
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    You don't need to have an opening band in order to be a "headlining concert event."  You just need a headliner.
    edited January 2018
    You don't need to have an opening band in order to be a "headlining concert event."  You just need a headliner.
    Right.

The thing about openers at a PJ show... PJ shows are too long for them to have an opener. Jesus, the last time I saw PJ and they had an opener (Mudhoney. AGAIN.), we were all standing in that pit for over 6 fucking hours. That is way too long. I also noticed that people in the stands were simply getting worn out from it all. a 4.5 hour concert, including the break between bands, is just overload. People get tired before the show's over. Openers should be saved for when the main act is on for less than 2 hours. And of course we don't want PJ shortening their sets.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.
    When's the last time they had an opening band for a proper PJ show?  And why would they start now?  Unless the opener is playing at 6pm, I'm all set.
    When is the last time they had an opening band worth showing up early to see?
  • You don't need to have an opening band in order to be a "headlining concert event."  You just need a headliner.
    Were all the other stadium shows the past years “An evening with Pearl Jam?”  Curious why these are not if are only Pearl Jam.  Guess we’ll find out soon enough.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    mcgruff10 said:

Band of Horses 2010

and that was the last time they didn't do the Evening With..... format

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

mcgruff10 said:
    In North America I believe it was Mudhoney in 2011. Not my favorite. Band of Horses the year before was pretty good. Since then it has been Evening With ever since 2013.

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    mcgruff10 said:
    Maybe MMJ in 2006?

Your overall point is true.  Much like my feelings around waiting in line for merch.......if I have a reserved seat, I'm not sacrificing time hanging out with friends/checking out the city/having beers-food to go in early to see a band I don't care about.  

I think the band understands that people are there to see Pearl Jam and don't care much about opening bands.  It gives them more flexibility on the schedule, and probably saves them some $$ in the long run (assuming the opening bands get a cut of the overall money earned).  
    Glen Hansard opening for Ed has been gold since 2011. But Ed shows and Pearl Jam shows are different animals.

• An hour of Alice In Chains and two and a half hours of PJ would be great!

I'll filter the PJ setlist and make sure Bee Girl and the like are not on it... 'quality' over 'quantity'.

* This... is what I'd do for you guys.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2018
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    In North America I believe it was Mudhoney in 2011. Not my favorite. Band of Horses the year before was pretty good. Since then it has been Evening With ever since 2013.
    They had openers for the west coast in 2013. Mudhoney again, lol. They also had Mudhoney open for them in Missoula 2012. And IMO, they were not worth seeing either time. Not even close - Mudhoney can't do arenas effectively. They need to stick to clubs. But I was in the pit, so really had no choice if I didn't want to be at the back of the floor.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Please not Mudhoney.
    Please not anyone.  I am not grumpy but would most enjoy the Evening With PJ.  :)

hopefully Mudhoney will do a cover of Yellow Moon for ya, Brett.  :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Band of horses was good but we are talking 8 years ago. 
  • lolobugg said:
    Please not Mudhoney.

hopefully Mudhoney will do a cover of Yellow Moon for ya, Brett.  :lol:
    :rofl:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They had openers for the west coast in 2013. Mudhoney again, lol. They also had Mudhoney open for them in Missoula 2012. And IMO, they were not worth seeing either time. Not even close - Mudhoney can't do arenas effectively. They need to stick to clubs. But I was in the pit, so really had no choice if I didn't want to be at the back of the floor.
    They had Mudhoney open on the West Coast in 2013? I had no idea.

I saw them open for PJ in Montreal in 2011. The people next to me put in ear plugs as soon as they came on. At first I thought it was kind of weird but pretty soon I was wishing I had a pair myself. Not because Mudhoney is bad. It's not really my thing but it isn't bad. It was because they were so LOUD. Almost deafeningly loud. Hard to enjoy music when it's close to painful to listen to.