People Outliving Their Means

13»

Comments

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:
    I live in a low cost of living state so I avoid a lot of the problems some of you are describing. If I did buy a home I  would definitely intend to pay it off but I'm probably going to end up inheriting two as it is. Another thing I waffle back and forth about is having kids. If I don't have kids I can see just continuing to rent. 
    Yeah, kids are definitely a huge factor, both when it comes to renting vs owning, as well as debt load. Kids are so damn expensive!!! I don't have any for a few very good reasons, but not being able to afford them at all where I am is one of those reasons. If I did have a kid, I'd feel extremely unstable if I kept renting, since you can be evicted at any time, really. All they have to do is sell the building and you're fucked. I think I'd want a home that is guaranteed to be permanent if I had children.
    My daughter is cool, but my son is a dickhead. I'm changing our trust so that she gets all of it, although she sucks with money. Little weasel still owes me $45 for her mom's birthday present. And she stopped doing her chores, so she's not getting any income to pay me back.

Hmm.... Maybe I'll just donate it all to charity. Fuck those little twerps!
    Sounds like she is great with money. She got someone else to pay for it. She may be a con artist but it doesn't sound like money is her issue.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, my parents paid off their house in full and now the bank doesn't own shit. Yes, it took them 30 years. But now it's theirs. So assuming you intend to actually pay off the entire thing, I think it's good. Plus, even if you don't and sell it, and assuming the housing market goes up and up, then you're good too. The problem comes when you either can't even pay it off, or when the market crashes and can't even sell it for what you bought it for. But for everyone I know, because of where I live, they are all going to make out like bandits if the market doesn't crash. If they bought a house for $300K 8 years ago, it is worth at least $800K+ now. It's crazy. The only problem is that if they sell now, sure, they made a ton of money, but they can't upgrade their home at all because all the other homes increased in value in the same crazy fucking way. Best to just stay put... which I guess makes it all completely moot, lol.
    There is definitely something to be said for renting. It's not just the interest on the mortgage, but you never have to pay all that money for maintenance and shit (not to mention all the time you save for the same reason). However, assuming the market does not crash, renting provides you with zero security in retirement, and that's kind of scary.... although in a lot of cases, the old folks who own their homes that went up so much in value now find that they can't even pay the property taxes that skyrocket with every annual assessment. It's terrible. I rent, and given the housing market I just described here, I am never going to own.... and I just have to pray that my pension, the Canada Pension Plan, old age security, and whatever my parents have left to leave me will keep a roof over my head when I'm old. 

We sold our place in Brooklyn for $250K more than we paid for it--and we only lived in that co-op for three years! Stupid! And a place just sold in the building for nearly $375K more than we paid for ours!

And as for the "stay put" thing. No thanks! I'll move somewhere else and rent.

I hate my state commonwealth and paying taxes to a state government that has done everything it can to oppose the will of its voters. I hate my old-as-fuck house. I hate my dumb-as-fuck Masshole neighbors. I hate their giant white heads and their ugly white faces and their atrocious fucking accents.

It's getting to the point at which I don't give a fuck anymore if my family wants to come with me. If it leads to divorce. Fine. 

I am mine. Goddamn it!

Plus, I'll probably get alimony. :triumph:
    Well yeah, moving away is another option, but not everyone wants to move our of the city that they love and where all their friends and family are, myself included. I hate my city because of the housing crisis, but I also can't think of another place I actually want to live. At least at this point in my life, I'd rather be poor and stay in my hometown with the people I love. Plus, the climate is great here, and it's super beautiful. I can't leave it. I also don't mind paying my fair share in taxes... but I don't approve of how the skyrocketing property taxes that are based on annual assessments fuck home owners over and force them to move, usually retired folks. That is bullshit and something needs to be done about that. At this point, local governments have allowed themselves to become insanely dependent on property tax revenue growth. If the market crashes, omg, the government funding situation will be so fucked up.
    Yeah, it's messed up in the NW.  Vancouver and Seattle are essentially the same, you just have better insurance and politics like you said haha.  The HomeShows are a good reminder of how close we all are to living in a damn tent.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    We have the same deal - rising interest rates with rising house prices... but the result is that first-time buyers can't crack into the market anymore, so they're fucked. Many younger people are moving away so they can afford to have families. Meanwhile, that hole they should be filling is being filled by foreign buyers, which is also terrible for the overall economy. An empty home tax has also been initiated, but the rich people, largely foreigners who just bought property here as an investment (buy for $500K, sell for $1.5M), don't care about those extra taxes. Pretty soon this will just be a city where nobody can find workers because the workers can't afford to live here, businesses will shut down, big companies don't want to come here because their workers can't afford to live here, public transit will struggle to find drivers and shit ... and so on... I am not looking forward to seeing what the end results are going to be, but it won't be good. At this point, a market crash would be the best thing for the city, which is ridiculous.
    Same story here in Australia
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    We have the same deal - rising interest rates with rising house prices... but the result is that first-time buyers can't crack into the market anymore, so they're fucked. Many younger people are moving away so they can afford to have families. Meanwhile, that hole they should be filling is being filled by foreign buyers, which is also terrible for the overall economy. An empty home tax has also been initiated, but the rich people, largely foreigners who just bought property here as an investment (buy for $500K, sell for $1.5M), don't care about those extra taxes. Pretty soon this will just be a city where nobody can find workers because the workers can't afford to live here, businesses will shut down, big companies don't want to come here because their workers can't afford to live here, public transit will struggle to find drivers and shit ... and so on... I am not looking forward to seeing what the end results are going to be, but it won't be good. At this point, a market crash would be the best thing for the city, which is ridiculous.
    Same story here in Australia
    You know what's ironic? A lot of young Australians are coming to Vancouver and Whistler to work - so many that it's been called the "Australian Invasion" in Whistler, lol .... and they can't afford rent here either. Some live in vans and shit, even during the winter up in the mountains, others have 5 roommates in one bedroom apartments. :dizzy: I'm not quite sure what they are trying to achieve doing this, but they do it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:
    I live in a low cost of living state so I avoid a lot of the problems some of you are describing. If I did buy a home I  would definitely intend to pay it off but I'm probably going to end up inheriting two as it is. Another thing I waffle back and forth about is having kids. If I don't have kids I can see just continuing to rent. 
    Yeah, kids are definitely a huge factor, both when it comes to renting vs owning, as well as debt load. Kids are so damn expensive!!! I don't have any for a few very good reasons, but not being able to afford them at all where I am is one of those reasons. If I did have a kid, I'd feel extremely unstable if I kept renting, since you can be evicted at any time, really. All they have to do is sell the building and you're fucked. I think I'd want a home that is guaranteed to be permanent if I had children.
    My daughter is cool, but my son is a dickhead. I'm changing our trust so that she gets all of it, although she sucks with money. Little weasel still owes me $45 for her mom's birthday present. And she stopped doing her chores, so she's not getting any income to pay me back.

Sounds like she is great with money. She got someone else to pay for it. She may be a con artist but it doesn't sound like money is her issue.
    I should repossess her mom’s birthday present until she pays me back. I’m not even charging her interest this time. I’ve also offered to garnish only half of her wages—that way, she has a little something to add to her savings. She gets no more loans from me. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

I should repossess her mom’s birthday present until she pays me back. I’m not even charging her interest this time. I’ve also offered to garnish only half of her wages—that way, she has a little something to add to her savings. She gets no more loans from me. 
    You're either really brave or really stupid to piss off both of the women in your house. :rofl::fearful:
    I hope your bunker is fortified.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

You're either really brave or really stupid to piss off both of the women in your house. :rofl::fearful:
    I don’t need a bunker. I’ll just check myself into a nice rehab for a little R&R. I’m not addicted to anything, but I’ve got good insurance and those places look pretty sweet. I still have some decent acting chops, and I’ve had a lot of junkie friends. I think I could pull something off. And there’s the added benefit of my wife and kids having to deal with all the gossip about my drug abuse. I wonder if there’s one that would let me bring my cat. :pensive:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

I don’t need a bunker. I’ll just check myself into a nice rehab for a little R&R. I’m not addicted to anything, but I’ve got good insurance and those places look pretty sweet. I still have some decent acting chops, and I’ve had a lot of junkie friends. I think I could pull something off. And there’s the added benefit of my wife and kids having to deal with all the gossip about my drug abuse. I wonder if there’s one that would let me bring my cat. :pensive:
    I hear they make you share your feelings in those places. =)

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    And give lots of hugs
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

I hear they make you share your feelings in those places. =)
    So I should get an extended stay. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Two words:  "therapy cat".

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

If you are actually serious, that really sucks man and I feel for ya. I always really empathize with parents who, through no fault of their own, end up with an asshole for a kid. There are plenty of them out there, and it's really shitty and sad. If you're not serious, that's fucking hilarious. =)

That part doesn't actually apply here...
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    bflynn1 said:
    Just doing a lot of reading here and in various Facebook groups etc. and it seems like a lot of people are outliving their means. I see a lot of posts like "Hate to do this but had some bills come up and need to sell ______ (vinyl, posters, etc.) Why do people put themselves in these situations. I may get flamed for this but why do people continually put themselves in these situations?

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. 
    Interesting question and several good answers here.

My suggestions will sound old fashioned and won't appeal to everyone, but they work. This will sound stuffy and curt and I don't mean to be, but I don't like lengthy self help articles and books.  When it comes to advice, I go for the basics.

1. Budget.  I can't say enough about budgeting. For much of my adult life, with good budgeting, I been able to live not above my means, but above my income bracket.  We live better than many people would guess on our income income.

2. Give yourself and others (both kids and adults) in you household an allowance.  My wife and I do that and we get to spend our money on anything we want with no criticism from the other.  All other expenditures are agreed on or put off until and agreement is reached.

3. Know and be aware of the difference between "want" and "need" (they've "been confused, been confused, oh oh!"*)

4.  Buy durable products.  It makes me crazy when people say, "I can't afford expensive stuff so I buy shit at Walmart".  Really? No!  When you buy shit, you buy shit over and over, use energy, pollute the world, and short change yourself. Unless it's something you really need (see 3 above) practice some delayed gratification.  I limped my beat to shit Honda along for years while squirreling away money until I could finally buy my Prius.  In the 2008 Consumers Reports, that car had the highest rating in all categories of any car on the market.  I plan on running it at least up to 300,000 miles.  I used to nickle and dime myself to death with beaters.  The Prius will save me lots of money in the long run. The better product will fit/work/last/look better and will save you money in the long run.

5. If you want something that is not essential (in the wintertime we like to do jigsaw puzzles), shop at a thrift store.  America's thrift stores stock more crap than some poor countries have.  Which leads to...

6. Tithe.  Give 10% of your earnings to responsible organizations that work to make the world better.  Use https://www.charitynavigator.org/ to learn about which organizations utilize their donations best.  Giving makes the world better and enriches our lives.  I love writing checks to places like Wildlands Network. Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, Family Planning and Natural Resources Defense Council.

And 7.  Don't spend $24.95 on yet another Financial Advice self-help book in the business section.  Just try some of the above ideas and be creative in your thinking, wise in your planning, enjoy your life, and learn how to make your life (and other's) better.

*R.E.M., "Finest Work Song"

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Delayed gratification, something most humans fail at.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bflynn1 said:

The hell with the fam, to rehab with the cats!

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16