Options

Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ SHOW 2003>PATRIOTISM>HOCKEYGAME >SEX VIDEO lol 
    We all have scatter brain ...Like the bafoon 
    The fucker's rubbing off on us all, lol.
    I thought the same thing oh no we are doomed i need to stop watching him lol lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    They booed because Eddie spoke his views in a very disrespectful way.  They could have played the song and said a few words, but I think the GW mask was over the top and very disrespectful when considering they were playing NYC where the wounds were still raw.  THey deserved to be booed not because they were wrong (they were right), but in the disrespectful way they presented their views.
    So talk nicely about GW? Because he's the president and all?

He got booed by a bunch of people who blindly followed their leader just as they blindly followed their faith.

He was a turd. An imbecile who was responsible for countless innocent lives. He got more respect than he deserved that night.

I'm not saying the crowd wouldn't have booed if he was just talking about Bush and why he thought the war was wrong, but my theory is that it wouldn't have gone down so bad if he didn't wear the mask and do his little routine. 

I'm not comparing Bush to Jesus or anything, but if you want to disagree verbally that Jesus existed with a Christian most will politely disagree or just tolerate you.  If you dress up as Jesus and mockingly do something, you might generate a more angry response.  That's all I'm saying.

• Options
    They booed because Eddie spoke his views in a very disrespectful way.  They could have played the song and said a few words, but I think the GW mask was over the top and very disrespectful when considering they were playing NYC where the wounds were still raw.  THey deserved to be booed not because they were wrong (they were right), but in the disrespectful way they presented their views.

He got booed by a bunch of people who blindly followed their leader just as they blindly followed their faith.

He was a turd. An imbecile who was responsible for countless innocent lives. He got more respect than he deserved that night.

I'm not saying the crowd wouldn't have booed if he was just talking about Bush and why he thought the war was wrong, but my theory is that it wouldn't have gone down so bad if he didn't wear the mask and do his little routine. 

I'm not comparing Bush to Jesus or anything, but if you want to disagree verbally that Jesus existed with a Christian most will politely disagree or just tolerate you.  If you dress up as Jesus and mockingly do something, you might generate a more angry response.  That's all I'm saying.

And you wouldn't be wrong.

I guess I'm saying (or trying to say) when he pulled his stunt... he didn't truly care how Bush supporters were going to receive it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Play your music, fairly simple concept of a concert. 

We aren't all idiots that need someone to tell us what to think!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2018

Play your music, fairly simple concept of a concert. 

We aren't all idiots that need someone to tell us what to think!
    Dance monkey.

Just don't hurt my ignorant feelings.
  • Options
    They booed because he was talking / lecturing.  It's that simple. If we pay $100 for a music concert we want to here music.  

We can hear our parents lecture us for free.

Sing, Sing. Sing
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    When they played Toronto in 2016 and Ed was heaping praise on Justin Trudeau, I did the same thing I did when Trudeau took the stage at last year’s Canada Day (well, the next day): I quietly stood there and didn’t applaud.

In 2016, 2 nights later when Ed “wished death” on an old, decrepit racist in Florida, I did applaud the (hopefully eventual) death of the racist ideals, if not that specific individual.

I don’t mind a bit of political or philosophical discussion from an entertainer, even if I don’t agree with them. What does piss me off is when I’m told I can’t be a fan of a band (or whatever) because I don’t always agree with their politics. In the same way that I’m allowed to interpret a song differently from its creator’s original intent, I suppose.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    They booed because he was talking / lecturing.  It's that simple. If we pay $100 for a music concert we want to here music.  

Sing, Sing. Sing

It's 'hear' (like you spelled correctly in your second sentence).

And the spotlight can be used to initiate change. Using the moment to spread the word which the people who booed had not yet received the word is an artist's prerogative.

If people think artists like Eddie Vedder aren't going to sound off when the mood hits them... they fail to appreciate the motivation behind most- if not all- of their writing. Taking it one step further... they fail to understand the meaningful link between the artist's passions and the songs they write. These artists don't turn it off and become autotrons so simpletons can hear them Sing, Sing. Sing
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What
    Has 
    Happened 
    Here
    ?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

I guess I'm saying (or trying to say) when he pulled his stunt... he didn't truly care how Bush supporters were going to receive it.
    It is a fine line with wanting to push your agenda and wanting to piss off people that paid to see you play music. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

It is a fine line with wanting to push your agenda and wanting to piss off people that paid to see you play music. 
    People pay to see the band perform. Anyone who didn't expect political commentary from Ed doesn't know much about the band. The onus is on the artists to present their art however they wish. They can choose to try to cater to their audience or not, but the audience doesn't get to choose what they see and hear. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,686
    edited January 2018

Sing, Sing. Sing
    Did I hear wrong?  I thought the booing starting during the song, and that instigated an Ed response  which led to more booing.  If the crowd had just let the band play the song, would there have been a problem?

Besides that, my feeling in general (not directed at any one person here) is that to me the real problem is the booing.  In all my damn long years and many concerts I have never booed a band or performer at concert.  Not once, ever.  It's hard work going out there night after night playing before a demanding crowd, moving from town to town, trying to make time for meals, working on little sleep, have next to no privacy.   SO you don't like a song.  Why boo that?  I think booing at a show is weak. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It is weak.

I've never booed anything and never would, it's childish.

I have boomed on occasion, particularly during Crazy Mary.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286

Sing, Sing. Sing
    I hope he bashes orange bafoon as much as he did WB in 2003 , he does sing on average anywhere from 27 to 33 songs per night I’d say he has earned the right to speak out when ever he wants too !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited January 2018
    Ahhhhhh, the good ol' days when Pearl Jam & EV had balls...

Uniondale is one of the hilights of the bands history in my opinion... standing on stage not backing down to the criticism... fired right into a killer version of Know Your Rights afterwards... LOVE IT

Loved the comments at Hershey, EV was right then and he is still right 

Bush era Pearl Jam was the best!!!  Now we have a bunch of parents pimping out their children at shows for tambo's and a family fun atmosphere... 2003-2008 was real fucking rock n roll
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Sing, Sing. Sing
    Lecturing? Can you cite which portion of the show where he lectured?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819

I highly doubt he was TRYING to piss people off, thirty is just saying he thinks he just didn't give a shit if that was the reaction. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2hands said:

Uniondale is one of the hilights of the bands history in my opinion... standing on stage not backing down to the criticism... fired right into a killer version of Know Your Rights afterwards... LOVE IT

Bush era Pearl Jam was the best!!!  Now we have a bunch of parents pimping out their children at shows for tambo's and a family fun atmosphere... 2003-2008 was real fucking rock n roll
    they still had/have balls. They just put them away for safe keeping 2008-2016. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    my2hands said:

I would say 1993 to 2008, then all of a sudden silence! What happened in 2009? I have a feeling we may get some "real fucking rock and roll" during the Trump ea. Im just hoping they quick hurry up fast in a hurry make some new music and tour before he is impeached.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231

Sing, Sing. Sing
    I think I paid $36 for tickets in '03. Yeah, I'm sure it was the talking or maybe he should have been more like Nickelback. The album was Riot Act. What a shock on what his message was about..
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

Sing, Sing. Sing
    if you don't know what to expect at an EV/PJ show, then that's your own fault. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

People pay to see the band perform. Anyone who didn't expect political commentary from Ed doesn't know much about the band. The onus is on the artists to present their art however they wish. They can choose to try to cater to their audience or not, but the audience doesn't get to choose what they see and hear. 
    in the last 10 years or so, which were the good rants?
    I'd say
    #1 is the "people are looking for a reason to kill" rant. Interesting that Ed chose to use the general term people without explaining exactly who those people are. Then he walked back from "people" to war in general "imagine that".
    #2 if you want to call it "political" the At&t rant, wasnt it At&t?
    #3 anything everything said at the "Tester show" which was a political show in the first place
    did I miss any others?
  • Options
    Matthew Good (canadian musician) is extremely political, and he doesn't shy away from that at his shows either. He went so far years ago as to actually sell shirts that said "Shut up and sing" because so many people yelled that out at his shows. It still blows me away how ignorant people can be. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:

The Fixer, and Backspacer in general, had no balls. No edge. No nothing. 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

The Fixer, and Backspacer in general, had no balls. No edge. No nothing. 
    art imitates life. would you like them to fake being unhappy and angry?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Kids soften your edges, and wealth doesn't help.
    I'm okay with it, Getaway and MYM had balls enough for me.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997

Sing, Sing. Sing
    I know what to expect when I go in for a root canal. 
    Just because they know what to expect doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.

I agree they have the right to say and do whatever they want. They've also earned it at this point. But I also see the point with ticket prices now approaching $100 each, and many spend 10 times that in travel expenses, they want to hear music and not a speech.
    It doesn't bother me and I don't boo, but I can understand why many would get annoyed or upset.
    The closest I came was during the first solo EV tour. EV wore that Bush mask and a guitar tech or someone came out dressed as the devil to give him a blow job. I personally wasn't offended, but I Just rolled my eyes because I didn't pay that money to watch Eddie act out a blow job. The thing went on long enough to have played another song, so I think it was fair to say I was annoyed. But I remember thinking if people were upset over those other incidents, I was surprised there wasn't a bigger reaction to that one. 

• Options
    mace1229 said:

Sing, Sing. Sing
    Just because they know what to expect doesn't mean they have to be happy about it.

I agree they have the right to say and do whatever they want. They've also earned it at this point. But I also see the point with ticket prices now approaching $100 each, and many spend 10 times that in travel expenses, they want to hear music and not a speech.
    It doesn't bother me and I don't boo, but I can understand why many would get annoyed or upset.
    The closest I came was during the first solo EV tour. EV wore that Bush mask and a guitar tech or someone came out dressed as the devil to give him a blow job. I personally wasn't offended, but I Just rolled my eyes because I didn't pay that money to watch Eddie act out a blow job. The thing went on long enough to have played another song, so I think it was fair to say I was annoyed. But I remember thinking if people were upset over those other incidents, I was surprised there wasn't a bigger reaction to that one. 

Someone already alluded to it, but PJ plays for over three hours. A lot of bands give you 1 hour and 45 mins.

In college... I used to play with a tenacious rebounder. Every now and then he'd fire up a loony shot. I always defended him saying, "He's earned the right to take that shot."

PJ earns their 'shots' on a nightly basis.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Sing, Sing. Sing

I get it. it is fair to be annoyed or whatever. But to take it one step further and say "shut up and sing" is akin to thinking they are hired help there to entertain us like court jesters. they are not. nor does the amount of money you pay to see a show does equate to them owing you anything. 

Was I slightly annoyed at Ed for trotting out that doctor at the St Paul show to talk to the crowd for 20 minutes about EB? Fuck yes I was. I don't get to see the band much because of my own financial situation and how little they come to my city. But would I ever say to anyone "jesus, I paid good money to come here! they owe me songs and not speeches!". No. that's a risk I take. It's their platform, they can do what they want. that's just how it works. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:

Sing, Sing. Sing

Someone already alluded to it, but PJ plays for over three hours. A lot of bands give you 1 hour and 45 mins.

In college... I used to play with a tenacious rebounder. Every now and then he'd fire up a loony shot. I always defended him saying, "He's earned the right to take that shot."

PJ earns their 'shots' on a nightly basis.
    I wouldn't disagree that they've earned their shots, and give us double (in terms of length of a concert) what many other bands give.
    It still doesn't seem unreasonable that I would be annoyed when I pay good money to see a music concert and end up watching a grown man act out a blow job on stage. I wouldn;t boo or be disrespectful though, I doubt he saw me roll my eyes during that. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on