Options

Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    riley540 said:
    At msg 2 in 2016 he said Bernie is the best candidate. I’d say half the crowd let out a boo, and he said something along the lines of “that’s good, you care, make your voices heard.” Which is cool. He doesn’t hate you if you don’t agree. I think he just encourages people to get involved 
    exactly. I gather he prefers a boo over nothing at all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,536
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    I thinks its important to develop one's own view point about things based on knowledge and critical thinking, not what one person says.  One of may favorite authors is Edward Abbey.  I love his stuff and the stand he took on environment was solid.  But I didn't agree with everything he said.  I know a guy who was a good friend of Abbey's and he said it drove some of his friends nuts how Abbey hated rock and roll which he described as industrial noise to pound out dented fenders to.  Just about everything he said about rock and roll goes against my views but if I went to see the man speak (I wish I had!) and he berated rock and roll which I love, I would not have booed him.  I would consider that childish.
    I don't know a single soul who develops their view point based on what one person says. Maybe there are some dimwits out there who do this, but nobody with half a brain.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I thinks its important to develop one's own view point about things based on knowledge and critical thinking, not what one person says.  One of may favorite authors is Edward Abbey.  I love his stuff and the stand he took on environment was solid.  But I didn't agree with everything he said.  I know a guy who was a good friend of Abbey's and he said it drove some of his friends nuts how Abbey hated rock and roll which he described as industrial noise to pound out dented fenders to.  Just about everything he said about rock and roll goes against my views but if I went to see the man speak (I wish I had!) and he berated rock and roll which I love, I would not have booed him.  I would consider that childish.
    I don't know a single soul who develops their view point based on what one person says. Maybe there are some dimwits out there who do this, but nobody with half a brain.
    I guess what I mean is that there are people, especially young people who have not developed a good sense of critical thinking,who will cling to every word their heroes utter.  This is not so much a put-down as a suggestion to be more inquiring and at least a bit skeptical of what we hear people say. 

For example, everyone should be very skeptical of anything I say.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    the vast majority of musicians do not speak personal opinions on politics during their shows. but if you are going to see someone speak, you are to expect their opinion on a wide range of topics, and I wouldn't boo that either. you paid to listen to them speak. 

but with musicians, you paid to see them perform. if they choose to go off on a political tangent, then fair game. 

I would never boo a person I paid to see speak about something they spoke about. 
    I would never boo a person I paid to see perform musically about something they performed musically. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I guess what I mean is that there are people, especially young people who have not developed a good sense of critical thinking,who will cling to every word their heroes utter.  This is not so much a put-down as a suggestion to be more inquiring and at least a bit skeptical of what we hear people say. 

Who are these people? How do you know young people do this? I sincerely am not sure if this is true, or if it's just people acting like younger generations are foolish, just like every aging generation tends to do. I do know that all the Millennials and Gen Z's I know IRL aren't like this at all. They are all pretty bright, with inquiring minds and perfectly able to think critically (appropriate to their age, anyway). I'm starting to get the impression that this is just a fairly inaccurate stereotype that's getting pinned on them because social media is skewing our impressions of reality.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

honestly, brian, I think in the information age, it caused more people to grow up doing just that, thinking critically and skeptically about everything, since the veil has been taken down from all "our heros" being worthy of the worship they got in, say, the 70's. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    the vast majority of musicians do not speak personal opinions on politics during their shows. but if you are going to see someone speak, you are to expect their opinion on a wide range of topics, and I wouldn't boo that either. you paid to listen to them speak. 

but with musicians, you paid to see them perform. if they choose to go off on a political tangent, then fair game. 

I would never boo a person I paid to see speak about something they spoke about. 
    I would never boo a person I paid to see perform musically about something they performed musically. 
    Does EV take time during every show to political and/or social commentary?  I honestly don't know. Having only been to one PJ show, I coundn't say.  He certainly did in Missoula when I saw them and I don't remember any booing.  It fact, it was mostly just cheering and/or applause.  Maybe it was all the weed being smoked in that place that mellowed everyone out. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

honestly, brian, I think in the information age, it caused more people to grow up doing just that, thinking critically and skeptically about everything, since the veil has been taken down from all "our heros" being worthy of the worship they got in, say, the 70's. 
    There were definitely a lot of people in the 70's who bought every word their heroes said, that's for sure.  I was lucky to have a couple of roommates who were very savvy and questioned just about everything.  They were a great influence on me that way.

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    To be honest, I can't wait to hear what Ed has to say (about the Trumpet or whatsoever) in Europe soon!

I don't need to agree to everything but I like him being controversial or just saying what he needs to say. Like he said, as long as it makes people talking the issues all is good. 
    I just hope people outside venue just stay cool. That reaction of some people about Milton Keynes or his guns opinion from that interview in 2013 was pretty awful.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
    I don’t listen to any bands that don’t align with what I believe to be righteous causes , no kidrock or Nugent for me 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,543
    I don’t listen to any bands that don’t align with what I believe to be righteous causes , no kidrock or Nugent for me 
    :rock_on:
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2018
    I have been to 17 PJ shows & 4 Eddie solo shows, and I have yet to encounter a controversial/awkward moment or rant by Eddie.  The shows I've attended he has been in a great mood holds up the wine bottle a few times and says cheers!!
    I have not attended a show where there was any booing.
    Just wondering what the big deal is?
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    RYME said:
    I have been to 17 PJ shows & 4 Eddie solo shows, and I have yet to encounter a controversial/awkward moment or rant by Eddie.
    I have not attended a show where there was any booing.
    Just wondering what the big deal is?
    I think in 2003 they booed him twice, uniondale and I believe in denver (this is when dozens of fans walked out after bush-leaguer).  I've seen pj 57 times and ed solo maybe 5 or 6 times and have heard him talk politics maybe 3 or 4 times. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    ryme,  here's two different viewpoints of the 2003 denver show.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jam-eddie-vedder-rock-denver-rail-against-bush-20030501
    https://www.upi.com/Pearl-Jam-opens-tour-with-Bush-controversy/58411049493193/

Keith Zimmerman of Denver was one of those who left the building as the band performed the song.

"When he was sharing his political views in a fairly benign manner -- supporting our troops, opposing policy -- that's OK," he told the newspaper. "When he takes what looks like the head of George Bush on a stick, then throws it to the stage and stomps on it, that's just unacceptable."  "It was like he decapitated someone in a primal ritual and stuck their head on a stick," Zimmerman said. "It kinda blows away the Dixie Chicks."

"It's possible two dozen left during encore but it was not noticeable amongst the 11,976 who were applauding and enjoying the evening's music," said the band in a statement issued by Epic Records. "It just made a better headline to report otherwise."

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Does EV take time during every show to political and/or social commentary?  I honestly don't know. Having only been to one PJ show, I coundn't say.  He certainly did in Missoula when I saw them and I don't remember any booing.  It fact, it was mostly just cheering and/or applause.  Maybe it was all the weed being smoked in that place that mellowed everyone out. 
    Well it's hard to count that one as an example of what's normal, since it was specifically a political fundraiser.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Well it's hard to count that one as an example of what's normal, since it was specifically a political fundraiser.
    Oh for sure, but I mean in general.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

My answer to that is no, he does not take time out of every show to make a political or social statement. Often times, he tells short stories about something funny that happened earlier in the day or whatever.
    I was at one of his solo shows in Nashville, and he just told us about his day somebody took them to a clay target shooting place.  We know that that Ed's not a big fan of guns but somebody was trying to show him how to shoot the clay targets. He said he missed the first few tries,, got a few pointers from the guy and then in  Ed's words talking about his next attempt at shooting clay pigeons with the shotgun, blew the shit out of the next one, and the one after that just fucking exploaded man!!
     He said it was actually kind of fun.  And then he said something about Tennessee women that were hanging around wearing spaghetti strap tank tops & plastic high heel shoes & cheep sunglasses.  That's Tennessee baby.
    Everyone just kind of chuckled.
    I know he does once in a while talk politically but it damn sure is not every show and it's not a staple of every show.
    The shows I've been to, the crowds in a good mood the bands in a good mood and everybody has a great time.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

When Pearl Jam played here in Perth in 2003 he wore a Mask of then Premier of Western Australia Geoff Gallop...I think most of the Crowd thought that was Funny although the issue Ed was talking about was serious...he then through the Mask into the Crowd...

• Options
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

My answer to that is no, he does not take time out of every show to make a political or social statement. Often times, he tells short stories about something funny that happened earlier in the day or whatever.
    I was at one of his solo shows in Nashville, and he just told us about his day somebody took them to a clay target shooting place.  We know that that Ed's not a big fan of guns but somebody was trying to show him how to shoot the clay targets. He said he missed the first few tries,, got a few pointers from the guy and then in  Ed's words talking about his next attempt at shooting clay pigeons with the shotgun, blew the shit out of the next one, and the one after that just fucking exploaded man!!
     He said it was actually kind of fun.  And then he said something about Tennessee women that were hanging around wearing spaghetti strap tank tops & plastic high heel shoes & cheep sunglasses.  That's Tennessee baby.
    I know he does once in a while talk politically but it damn sure is not every show and it's not a staple of every show.
    The shows I've been to, the crowds in a good mood the bands in a good mood and everybody has a great time.
    Sounds like people like his banter as long as it isn't political.

• Options
    i_lov_it said:

When Pearl Jam played here in Perth in 2003 he wore a Mask of then Premier of Western Australia Geoff Gallop...I think most of the Crowd thought that was Funny although the issue Ed was talking about was serious...he then through the Mask into the Crowd...

The man with many masks!

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    i_lov_it said:

The man with many masks!
    It seems that way lol
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,823
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah.  The "I didn't come here to hear a guy talk" stuff comes out when it's politics; not when it's a story about breaking into Fenway Park and taking a Polaroid.

My take is a PJ concert is a product.  You know there's a chance that you're going to get this at a concert.  You can decide to skip the concert for that reason, if you'd like.  I respect that.  You have to weigh the cost and effort vs. the product and if three minutes on politics you don't like is reason to skip, that's fine.  

Whether it's politics, baseball, or some silly story, the time is a non-factor (even if it does not play as well on a bootleg).  They never go less than 2.5 hours and who's been playing as consistently great shows for this long? Pretty much nobody.

As for "does he do it every time?" He did it a lot in 2003.  And 2003 was a great tour (of course, I was at the entire Boston "experiment").  He did it at Vote for Change in 2004, but if you didn't expect something there, that's on you.  Since then, I feel like Ed's been in a better place; focused on his family, etc.  I went to all four 2016 ballpark shows (not to mention a 2014 show) and heard two shots at Trump (one very veiled), get out and vote, and vote for the marijuana initiative in Massachusetts.  I'd argue that last one was politics, but nobody seemed too upset about that (evidence that it's not "don't talk politics" but "don't talk politics I don't like").  So will the election of Trump change that?  It'll be very interesting to see.  But nobody on this board, nobody in the 10C, nobody that's actually going to travel to these shows (i.e., almost nobody except for a few locals that decide to catch a show) should be surprised if he does.

As for fan reaction?  You don't have to like it.  And frankly, I guess I don't care if you boo, but booing and screaming "Play a Song" in the middle of a three hour show is pretty snowflakey.  And if you boo or get upset over the playing of one of their political songs, or Masters of War, or something, than you really are in the wrong place, snowflake.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah.  The "I didn't come here to hear a guy talk" stuff comes out when it's politics; not when it's a story about breaking into Fenway Park and taking a Polaroid.

My take is a PJ concert is a product.  You know there's a chance that you're going to get this at a concert.  You can decide to skip the concert for that reason, if you'd like.  I respect that.  You have to weight the cost and effort vs. the product and if three minutes on politics you don't like is reason to skip, that's fine.  

Whether it's politics, baseball, or some silly story, the time is a non-factor (even if it does not play as well on a bootleg).  They never go less than 2.5 hours and who's been playing as consistently great shows for this long? Pretty much nobody.

As for "does he do it every time?" He did it a lot in 2003.  And 2003 was a great tour (of course, I was at the entire Boston "experiment").  He did it at Vote for Change in 2004, but if you didn't expect something there, that's on you.  Since then, I feel like Ed's been in a better place; focused on his family, etc.  I went to all four 2016 ballpark shows (not to mention a 2014 show) and heard two shots at Trump (one very veiled), get out and vote, and vote for the marijuana initiative in Massachusetts.  I'd argue that last one was politics, but nobody seemed to upset about that (evidence that it's not "don't talk politics" but "don't talk politics I don't like").  So will the election of Trump change that?  It'll be very interesting to see.  But nobody on this board, nobody in the 10C, nobody that's actually going to travel to these shows (i.e., almost nobody except for a few locals that decide to catch a show) should be surprised if he does.

As for fan reaction?  You don't have to like it.  And frankly, I guess I don't care if you boo, but booing and screaming "Play a Song" in the middle of a three hour show is pretty snowflakey.  And if you boo or get upset over the playing of one of their political songs, or Masters of War, or something, than you really are in the wrong place, snowflake.
    lol

yup
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    blargh. stupid quoting feature. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

My take is a PJ concert is a product.  You know there's a chance that you're going to get this at a concert.  You can decide to skip the concert for that reason, if you'd like.  I respect that.  You have to weight the cost and effort vs. the product and if three minutes on politics you don't like is reason to skip, that's fine.  

As for "does he do it every time?" He did it a lot in 2003.  And 2003 was a great tour (of course, I was at the entire Boston "experiment").  He did it at Vote for Change in 2004, but if you didn't expect something there, that's on you.  Since then, I feel like Ed's been in a better place; focused on his family, etc.  I went to all four 2016 ballpark shows (not to mention a 2014 show) and heard two shots at Trump (one very veiled), get out and vote, and vote for the marijuana initiative in Massachusetts.  I'd argue that last one was politics, but nobody seemed to upset about that (evidence that it's not "don't talk politics" but "don't talk politics I don't like").  So will the election of Trump change that?  It'll be very interesting to see.  But nobody on this board, nobody in the 10C, nobody that's actually going to travel to these shows (i.e., almost nobody except for a few locals that decide to catch a show) should be surprised if he does.

spot freakin' on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    Nearly all people calling themselves Republicans support trump. I have yet to hear from any of them an honest statement about that support. trump’s negatives are routinely minimized and redefined. You can’t support an extremist and then claim you’re middle of the road and wonder why can’t we all get along?. Conservatives will be dealing with this fallout for awhile.   
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Nearly all people calling themselves Republicans support trump. I have yet to hear from any of them an honest statement about that support. trump’s negatives are routinely minimized and redefined. You can’t support an extremist and then claim you’re middle of the road and wonder why can’t we all get along?. Conservatives will be dealing with this fallout for awhile.   
    A vast number of the conservative people are not for Donald Trump. I have many conservative family members and close friends. It’s a decent split, about half are trump people, half are not. And a good amount of people I know that did vote for him just did so because it wasn’t Hillary. This is what happens when you have two just awful candidates. 

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    riley540 said:
    A vast number of the conservative people are not for Donald Trump. I have many conservative family members and close friends. It’s a decent split, about half are trump people, half are not. And a good amount of people I know that did vote for him just did so because it wasn’t Hillary. This is what happens when you have two just awful candidates. 

I’m going off survey data. He has about a 35% approval rating, and not many of those people are Dems or call themselves independents. His approval rating amongst republicans is 81%. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I had an interesting little run in with someone who is a Trump supporter on Facebook recently. It was some thread where a dumb guy posed a question using Trump as a random example for something (long story). Most people thought he was being facetious and started posting hilarious Trump memes and stuff, Well the silly guy wasn't being facetious, and somehow didn't anticipate the negative response, lol. Anyway, one of the memes was that gif with a piece of poo sliding out of Trump's mouth, lol. The OP said something about how people ought to respect the office of the president no matter what. Another guy replied to that with a "HOO-AH". He is or was military. And in his very next post he said the piece of poo coming out of Trump's mouth was Obama. :lol: I called out the obvious disconnect between those two comments. I don't think he got it. Then he said that he fought to defend the American people and that somehow that means people should support Trump and stop trashing him. I said that at least 70% of those people do not support Trump at all. He said he doesn't give a shit about that 70% because they're all stupid assholes. I said I guess that meant he only fought for 30% of the people then, and how that doesn't seem all that democratic or something like that, and suggested that for guys who support the USA no matter what they don't seem to like freedom of expression very much. Then he posted a crybaby snowflake meme. :lol: And this is definitely a common kind of thing on social media with the Trump supporters. I have seen it over and over. So yeeeaaahhhh.... These Trump supporters really aren't making any sense at all anymore. They are in complete denial and appear to be thinking irrationally about the whole situation.
  • Options
    I unfriended an old high school friend who posted a pic years ago of Obama as piece of shit and he claimed that it wasn't racist. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com