Options

Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    It just sort of dawned on me that we're talking about one concert that happened 15 years ago.  The question was why did they boo?  Because a few people at that show didn't appreciate Bu$hleager & the mask thing.
    I don't think booing at PJ concerts has become any kind of a regular occurrence.  I remember hearing about it, or reading about it back when it happened in 2003, but I hadn't given it 2 thoughts since then.
    Seems to me it was kind of a isolated incident.
    I think the people booing at that show took that song & dance way to seriously.
    Let the boo debate continue. B)
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Man, if I stopped watching, or listening to people that had differing opinions to me I feel like I would have zero entertainment. Everyone is different, and all opinions are valid for true progression. Democrat or republican, I love everyone. There are so many great people in the world. You can’t let a few of their opinions kill you. Simple answer. Pearl Jam was unhappy with the war bush started. (I was only 8 at the time, but I get why people were mad) and then they mocked Bush, and some fans found it distasteful. Simple. Shit happens 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I just found it surprising given the band's and their fans' leftist leanings
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Then you might also be surprised to learn that there are some "right" leaning people on here who claim to be fans of PJ.
    People who are openly....
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    RYME said:
    It just sort of dawned on me that we're talking about one concert that happened 15 years ago.  The question was why did they boo?  Because a few people at that show didn't appreciate Bu$hleager & the mask thing.
    I don't think booing at PJ concerts has become any kind of a regular occurrence.  I remember hearing about it, or reading about it back when it happened in 2003, but I hadn't given it 2 thoughts since then.
    You are so right, RYME, it was just once incident quite awhile back.  But you can bet we'll beat this poor puppy to death.  It's the AMT way! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Then you might also be surprised to learn that there are some "right" leaning people on here who claim to be fans of PJ.
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc
    I hope that is not your definition of a conservative.  Is it?? 
    Right leaning does not = racist homophobic xenophobic white supremacist anti-semitic anti same-sex marriage Etc. 
    If so that's really bad & your wrong.
    It's really amazing you claim to know how I feel about all of those things.  Just stereotype the s*** out people you disagree with politically and socially.
    I don't fit any of those phobias but if I'm in the basket of deplorables that's fine.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options

Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc
    Agreed, both (but of course, not singling anyone out- no way.)  That always surprises me but I guess I'm dumb or naive that way.  I don't know why someone would support a musician or artist well known to be strongly opposite of one's own viewpoints.  For example. if I found the work of right-wing street artist Sabo  interesting-- and looked at strictly from an art basis, I suppose you could say it is (Google "Sabo art" and go to "images" to see what I mean)-- I would still find the message far too much to my disliking to be a fan, support his art, show up to an exhibit, spend time on his fan site, etc. 

But that's just me. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    RYME said:
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc
    Right leaning does not = racist homophobic xenophobic white supremacist anti-semitic anti same-sex marriage Etc. 
    It's really amazing you claim to know how I feel about all of those things.  Just stereotype the s*** out people you disagree with politically and socially.
    I don't fit any of those phobias but if I'm in the basket of deplorables that's fine.

Why on earth would you assume the post applies to you specifically?

For the record, there have indeed been posters openly posting each of those viewpoints. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

For the record, there have indeed been posters openly posting each of those viewpoints. 
    My point was that over time there have been people on here who have claimed to be fans of PJ buy espoused seriously fearful, hateful, and ignorant right wing ideology.
    Not everyone on the right. Just a few .
    And it is surprising when it is obvious that PJ follows, and at times l, preaches left leaning ideas and beliefs.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

I'm probably a little naive as to how widespread that stereotype is.  It's like there are two entirely different Americas.
    It's sad.  According to some here, I should not be listening to Pearl Jam at all.  I hold none of those phobias.& Yet that's what you think.  I don't even know what xenophobia is.  Does it have something to do with people who have a problem with xylophones?
    I don't know.
    Well I looked it up,  Fear of people from other countries. That doesn't fit me either I'm an American and I married a Lithuanian.  I have friends in many different countries.

https://youtu.be/SFilh113q6I
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    RYME said:
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

My point was that over time there have been people on here who have claimed to be fans of PJ buy espoused seriously fearful, hateful, and ignorant right wing ideology.
    And it is surprising when it is obvious that PJ follows, and at times l, preaches left leaning ideas and beliefs.
    Another thing that surprises me, and this is purely speculative, is that at times, forum members (I'm thinking of a couple who are no longer here but I will still refrain from mentioning names) appear to have paid to post hard-right opinions on these forums and yet never posted on anything other than AMT.  Were (or are) they paid hecklers?  Or do people actually spend money and time simply to troll?  I could be way off on this, but sometimes I wonder.

And, no, RYME, I don't mean you.  You dig Waylon.  That's cool!
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

Another thing that surprises me, and this is purely speculative, is that at times, forum members (I'm thinking of a couple who are no longer here but I will still refrain from mentioning names) appear to have paid to post hard-right opinions on these forums and yet never posted on anything other than AMT.  Were (or are) they paid hecklers?  Or do people actually spend money and time simply to troll?  I could be way off on this, but sometimes I wonder.

And, no, RYME, I don't mean you.  You dig Waylon.  That's cool!
    It's all good Brianlux, I thought it was referring to all or most conservatives, not specifically me.  I used me because I can't speak for all conservatives.  And I'm sure there are some lousy conservatives out there too.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    I think moderate republicans and moderate democrats are awesome, and can work together for the good! I’d say that 80% of my family votes republican and I promise none of them are bad people. They aren’t hateful, they don’t say bad things, just different ideas of how to reach the end goal. I classify as center - right, but have learned to understand opposing positions instead of writing them off. I swear, if everyone can express ideas and work together, good things can happen. Thankfully a lot of the far right social stances on marriage on their way out. A lot of conservatives are become more libertarian. Legalize pot, gay marriage, ect. Which is a good shift. Let’s all work together on issues that we can impact :-) the homeless problem in Seattle is terrible. I’m stoked the band is teaming up with people to have discussions on the best plan of attack! 
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    I think moderate republicans and moderate democrats are awesome, and can work together for the good! I’d say that 80% of my family votes republican and I promise none of them are bad people. They aren’t hateful, they don’t say bad things, just different ideas of how to reach the end goal. I classify as center - right, but have learned to understand opposing positions instead of writing them off. I swear, if everyone can express ideas and work together, good things can happen. Thankfully a lot of the far right social stances on marriage on their way out. A lot of conservatives are become more libertarian. Legalize pot, gay marriage, ect. Which is a good shift. Let’s all work together on issues that we can impact :-) the homeless problem in Seattle is terrible. I’m stoked the band is teaming up with people to have discussions on the best plan of attack! 
    I believe that, Riley.  I know some very fine people who are republicans. My wife was a Republican when I met her in 2001.  She's become  more progressive over the years while I grow cranking and conservative  (wanna buy a bridge? LOL)  But seriously, I know a good number of very decent Republican folks.  Of course, I don't understand how so many went berserk and voted for Trump but I suspect many of them were "protest votes".  Too bad, look what we're all stuck with!

So yeah, working together is good sense.  Kudos for the idea!

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Just for the record, there are millions of Republicans who are good and decent people that are still racist and xenophobic and bigoted and so on.
    Like my wife's old boss, an optometrist in a small town who goes to church and treats people decent (mostly) and is involved in the community....and thinks same sex marriage should be outlawed and that Muslims can't be trusted, and expected the Mexican exchange student they hosted to be impressed with his house and excited to shop at our rinky dink little Canton, Ohio shopping mall.  He was shocked and disappointed to learn that her family was wealthier than his, lived in a coastal villa and flew to Dallas to shop on the weekends.  She was bored and unimpressed with our podunk existence and he was flabbergasted.
    That's just one of many examples on how good people (almost all conservative) still have backward ass views on the world that aren't cool.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

Play Jeremy!!!!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have an issue with someone booing the performance. 

I do not have an issue with someone booing something the artist says in between the songs, especially if it's political in nature. I can't imagine the band would disagree with that. I gather they prefer people be engaged, no matter positive or negative, as long as they are engaged at all. 
    Well that's true. I just meant their performances. I absolutely do not think that Bu$hleaguer is an exception to that, and I don't see why anyone would think so. It's not spoken word btw, not that that should make a difference anyhow.
    well Ed thinks so, that it is the audience's right to boo him when he sang Bushleaguer. he stated so right after the performance in Uniondale. he also apologized to the audience after they played it at the showbox after going off on his "fuck war" mid-song rant. 
    I don't really care what Ed thinks about it. I also think he never should have apologized. I hate it when he apologizes after making political statements. He did that last year too. It's wimpy IMO.
    so the opinion of the performer making the statement and engaging the crowd is irrelevant to you? oohhhhh kaaaaaayyyyy. 
    Well there isn't anything relevant to think about with the first part. It's a fact, not an opinion. Of course it's the audience's right to boo him. It's a free country, relatively. That doesn't mean I think it is right to do in terms of not being a rude idiot. And yeah, I really do think that apologizing for saying something he meant is super lame.
    what are you referring to here "it's a fact not an opinion". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2018
    I align with most of the bands viewpoints.  Without getting into specifics, there are a couple statements here and there that make me roll my eyes when at a concert, but can anyone really claim that they have the exact same outlook on life as the next person.  I cannot say that I have any friends that I see eye to eye with on every single issue, be it religious, political, etc.  Still doesn’t discount the known fact that my friends are the best fucking friends in the world or that Pearl Jam is the best fucking band in the world!  If you try to dissect every little thing a person says here and there, often you can lose focus of why you loved them in the first place.  I believe Pearl Jam attracts people for many reasons; for some it is because their music helped them through some tough patches in life, for others it’s the love of their political activism.  In the end, who really gives a shit...maybe we should all focus on the fact that this band has brought people from different walks of life together instead of trying to make lists of why someone should or should not conform to the “norm” of “Pearl Jam fans”.
    That being said, I cannot say that I would ever actually boo them.  If I was getting annoyed, I would probably just use the opportunity to go grab a beer.  In my opinion, it is way more disrespectful to hold up your phone and try to record the whole concert than booing, but that’s a totally different complaint I guess, lol 
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    I align with most of the bands viewpoints.  Without getting into specifics, there are a couple statements here and there that make me roll my eyes when at a concert, but can anyone really claim that they have the exact same outlook on life as the next person.  I cannot say that I have any friends that I see eye to eye with on every single issue, be it religious, political, etc.  Still doesn’t discount the known fact that my friends are the best fucking friends in the world or that Pearl Jam is the best fucking band in the world!  If you try to dissect every little thing a person says here and there, often you can lose focus of why you loved them in the first place.  I believe Pearl Jam attracts people for many reasons; for some it is because their music helped them through some tough patches in life, for others it’s the love of their political activism.  In the end, who really gives a shit...maybe we should all focus on the fact that this band has brought people from different walks of life together instead of trying to make lists of why someone should or should not conform to the “norm” of “Pearl Jam fans”.
    That being said, I cannot say that I would ever actually boo them.  If I was getting annoyed, I would probably just use the opportunity to go grab a beer.  In my opinion, it is way more disrespectful to hold up your phone and try to record the hole concert than booing, but that’s a totally different complaint I guess, lol 
    THIS, we can agree on! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    That being said, I cannot say that I would ever actually boo them.  If I was getting annoyed, I would probably just use the opportunity to go grab a beer.  In my opinion, it is way more disrespectful to hold up your phone and try to record the hole concert than booing, but that’s a totally different complaint I guess, lol 
    Depends, if you are the guy filming for mrussel to painstakingly put together multicam HD shows, then good on ya lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Depends, if you are the guy filming for mrussel to painstakingly put together multicam HD shows, then good on ya lol
    Maybe they should designate a small section at the concerts for “amateur cell phone videographers”, ha.  That way the rest of the audience isn’t having to stare through their screens to see the stage :)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    brianlux said:

Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc
    Agreed, both (but of course, not singling anyone out- no way.)  That always surprises me but I guess I'm dumb or naive that way.  I don't know why someone would support a musician or artist well known to be strongly opposite of one's own viewpoints.  For example. if I found the work of right-wing street artist Sabo  interesting-- and looked at strictly from an art basis, I suppose you could say it is (Google "Sabo art" and go to "images" to see what I mean)-- I would still find the message far too much to my disliking to be a fan, support his art, show up to an exhibit, spend time on his fan site, etc. 

But that's just me. 
    I've been pretty surprised to hear a number of people say this on here. I'm struggling to understand what difference it makes. There are pretty much zero political songs from Yield and earlier, which most agree is their prime/best era. After that, there's what, only like 2 or 3 on each album that are strong political songs? A lot of which aren't good anyway. Lets be honest, no matter how you feel about Bush, Bushleaguer still sucks as a song. So why ignore literally dozens of songs that are amazing songs and the best of their generation and completely unrelated to any political stance just because of their personal views?
    If every song was Bushleaguer, then I can understand. But I can name my top 50 favorite PJ songs and maybe 2 or 3 have anything to do with politics (and they'd be towards the bottom of that list).
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

But that's just me. 
    I've been pretty surprised to hear a number of people say this on here. I'm struggling to understand what difference it makes. There are pretty much zero political songs from Yield and earlier, which most agree is their prime/best era. After that, there's what, only like 2 or 3 on each album that are strong political songs? A lot of which aren't good anyway. Lets be honest, no matter how you feel about Bush, Bushleaguer still sucks as a song. So why ignore literally dozens of songs that are amazing songs and the best of their generation and completely unrelated to any political stance just because of their personal views?
    If every song was Bushleaguer, then I can understand. But I can name my top 50 favorite PJ songs and maybe 2 or 3 have anything to do with politics (and they'd be towards the bottom of that list).
    fair enough. good points (except bushleaguer, I admit it's not a typical song, but I dig it for its creativity). judging strictly on a recorded music basis, yes, I agree. But when you go to their live shows, and disagree with all or most of what ed is saying between songs, doesn't that put you off?

if Billy Corgan was as political at his shows as Ed is, it might ruin the experience for me. If he brought out alex jones to play tambourine I'd probably walk out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

But that's just me. 
    fair enough. good points (except bushleaguer, I admit it's not a typical song, but I dig it for its creativity). judging strictly on a recorded music basis, yes, I agree. But when you go to their live shows, and disagree with all or most of what ed is saying between songs, doesn't that put you off?

if Billy Corgan was as political at his shows as Ed is, it might ruin the experience for me. If he brought out alex jones to play tambourine I'd probably walk out. 
    Thinking of the 7 shows I've been to I can't remember too much political talk or anything that would piss people off.  In 2000 I remember him talking about getting out and voting and how they support Nader and in Lexington he inserted Trump into the lyrics of 1/2 full.

Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

But that's just me. 

Not put off in the least. And how many political comments does Ed make, not usually more than 2-3 times throughout a show if that. Most often they go right from one song to the next, and when he stops to interact it isn't always about politics, most of the time it isn't and probably totals 5 minutes or less in most cases. It's what they are passionate about and I get that. I'm definitely in the camp of I'd rather hear another song than a 5 minute talk about politics, but it doesn't put me off.
    It isn't like he's talking about promoting ISIS or something. Sometimes I get the impression from people that if you disagree with them on politics then you're a disgusting human. I don't have that belief. Don;t most people have a variety of friends, or does everyone on here only hang out and associate with people just like them? I can believe in religion, pro-life and all sorts of things and I can also appreciate and respect other opinions that are the opposite. I know it doesn't make someone a bad person to disagree with me, so why would I be put off in the least with someone expressing their opinions? The only time I was bothered was when he pretended to get a BJ from the devil. And it wasn't because he was wearing a Bush mask, it was because I'm not in Jr High and it just wasn't funny, kinda weird actually. But in 17 PJ shows and 3 solos, there's only been 5 minutes that bothered me in the slightest, that isn't too bad.
    Now something you said earlier I completely agree with. I think Ed talking about these things opens the door, and if he wants to use his microphone to pass his message, I think the fans can express their opinion as well. I'm not saying I'm in favor of booing, personally I would prefer to just ignore it and move on faster. But I agree that taking that microphone opens the door to that. If you don't want the audience to express their opinion, then keep quite about yours.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Racist
    Homophobic
    Xenophobic
    White supremacists
    Anti-Semitic 
    Anti same sex marriage
    Etc etc

But that's just me. 

Not put off in the least. And how many political comments does Ed make, not usually more than 2-3 times throughout a show if that. Most often they go right from one song to the next, and when he stops to interact it isn't always about politics, most of the time it isn't and probably totals 5 minutes or less in most cases. It's what they are passionate about and I get that. I'm definitely in the camp of I'd rather hear another song than a 5 minute talk about politics, but it doesn't put me off.
    It isn't like he's talking about promoting ISIS or something. Sometimes I get the impression from people that if you disagree with them on politics then you're a disgusting human. I don't have that belief. Don;t most people have a variety of friends, or does everyone on here only hang out and associate with people just like them? I can believe in religion, pro-life and all sorts of things and I can also appreciate and respect other opinions that are the opposite. I know it doesn't make someone a bad person to disagree with me, so why would I be put off in the least with someone expressing their opinions? The only time I was bothered was when he pretended to get a BJ from the devil. And it wasn't because he was wearing a Bush mask, it was because I'm not in Jr High and it just wasn't funny, kinda weird actually. But in 17 PJ shows and 3 solos, there's only been 5 minutes that bothered me in the slightest, that isn't too bad.
    Now something you said earlier I completely agree with. I think Ed talking about these things opens the door, and if he wants to use his microphone to pass his message, I think the fans can express their opinion as well. I'm not saying I'm in favor of booing, personally I would prefer to just ignore it and move on faster. But I agree that taking that microphone opens the door to that. If you don't want the audience to express their opinion, then keep quite about yours.
    yes, you are right. I guess I was making it bigger in my mind that it actually was, given the attention it got in the movie. 

and no, I don't think that's the correct impression, that if you disagree on politics you are disgusting. at least not the majority. there are people on here who have made blanket statements that allude to that, but it's the minority. I have friends that are conservatives and religious (my wife is catholic and I'm agnostic). everyone can coexist successfully as long as respect reigns. 

I guess I don't walk out when Billy makes a douchie comment (out of the 3 shows I've been to of SP, he has insulted Winnipeg, in Winnipeg, at TWO OF THEM), which is between most songs, so I suppose I wouldn't walk out if he said something political either. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yeah, not the majority, but I definitely get the vibe from several that they feel that way.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    RYME said:
    All true! Although I do see plenty of people of saying they wish Eddie would just "shut up and sing" when he talks a bit about political issues. I always find that really ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    At msg 2 in 2016 he said Bernie is the best candidate. I’d say half the crowd let out a boo, and he said something along the lines of “that’s good, you care, make your voices heard.” Which is cool. He doesn’t hate you if you don’t agree. I think he just encourages people to get involved 
  • Options
    I thinks its important to develop one's own view point about things based on knowledge and critical thinking, not what one person says.  One of may favorite authors is Edward Abbey.  I love his stuff and the stand he took on environment was solid.  But I didn't agree with everything he said.  I know a guy who was a good friend of Abbey's and he said it drove some of his friends nuts how Abbey hated rock and roll which he described as industrial noise to pound out dented fenders to.  Just about everything he said about rock and roll goes against my views but if I went to see the man speak (I wish I had!) and he berated rock and roll which I love, I would not have booed him.  I would consider that childish.