Your predictions for 2018

2»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    benjs said:
    I’m predicting that we maintain our current trajectory towards disaster (be it socioeconomic, political, environmental, or military), stemming from selfish people continuing to only show concern for ourselves, neglecting empathy or knowledge that says that what is best for the collective is typically best for us as individuals. We will continue to be close-minded and ignorant, except for those of us who are righteous but ineffective against such a massive and unwavering amount of ignorance. The aliens who hold the keys to enlightenment will move on to causes with probabilities of change that merit their presence.
    there are aliens who hold the keys to enlightenment?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    People have predicted societial collapse since we’ve had a society. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    benjs said:
    I’m predicting that we maintain our current trajectory towards disaster (be it socioeconomic, political, environmental, or military), stemming from selfish people continuing to only show concern for ourselves, neglecting empathy or knowledge that says that what is best for the collective is typically best for us as individuals. We will continue to be close-minded and ignorant, except for those of us who are righteous but ineffective against such a massive and unwavering amount of ignorance. The aliens who hold the keys to enlightenment will move on to causes with probabilities of change that merit their presence.
    I hold to a similar view.  I was talking to a friend about this topic (he, too, holds similar views) and I said, "At the risk of sounding like a pessimist and cynic, I don't hold out a lot of hope that humanity will change and begin to make choices that are good for the planet or even own species."  My friend responded strongly with some ire (not toward me but rather toward the response he gets from some people), "I'm not a cynic or pessimist, I'm a realist.  I tell it like I see it."  I agreed.

I still hold to the idea that hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out, but if I had to predict how things turn out, I predict we will, as you so well put it, Ben, "maintain our current trajectory towards disaster". 

If I were to offer advice with respect to all this it would be: learn some useful skills (besides how to work a computer or playing video games, etc.), develop a close circle of people you trust, plant a garden, develop your creative talents, use critical thinking, keep a sense of humor and don't forget to have some fun.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

People have predicted societial collapse since we’ve had a society. 
    True GB, but we've never been so well equipped to make that happen and so poorly prepared to deal with hard times.  Never before have people (especially here in the fist world) been so deficient in basic skills.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    I hold to a similar view.  I was talking to a friend about this topic (he, too, holds similar views) and I said, "At the risk of sounding like a pessimist and cynic, I don't hold out a lot of hope that humanity will change and begin to make choices that are good for the planet or even own species."  My friend responded strongly with some ire (not toward me but rather toward the response he gets from some people), "I'm not a cynic or pessimist, I'm a realist.  I tell it like I see it."  I agreed.

I still hold to the idea that hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out, but if I had to predict how things turn out, I predict we will, as you so well put it, Ben, "maintain our current trajectory towards disaster". 

If I were to offer advice with respect to all this it would be: learn some useful skills (besides how to work a computer or playing video games, etc.), develop a close circle of people you trust, plant a garden, develop your creative talents, use critical thinking, keep a sense of humor and don't forget to have some fun.
    you know, at the risk of sounding like a kook, I often worry about how I would survive if left to my own devices. I know how to do little if any real grunt work; how to build anything that won't collapse, any skills on surviving in the wild (hunting, fishing), even knowing what fucking berries to eat and what will poison me. I didn't grow up like that. My dad grew up silver-spoonish and learned none of this stuff from his dad. And we didn't have silver spoons, but he didn't have the skills to teach us. And growing up, I had little interest in learning this stuff from my friends at the time. 

I have never caught a fish in my life. I wouldn't know the first thing about not only filleting it for consumption, but barely even baiting a hook. 

In short: if the apocalypse hits, I hope I'm the only funny guy in the group. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    benjs said:

you know, at the risk of sounding like a kook, I often worry about how I would survive if left to my own devices. I know how to do little if any real grunt work; how to build anything that won't collapse, any skills on surviving in the wild (hunting, fishing), even knowing what fucking berries to eat and what will poison me. I didn't grow up like that. My dad grew up silver-spoonish and learned none of this stuff from his dad. And we didn't have silver spoons, but he didn't have the skills to teach us. And growing up, I had little interest in learning this stuff from my friends at the time. 

I have never caught a fish in my life. I wouldn't know the first thing about not only filleting it for consumption, but barely even baiting a hook. 

It's (almost) never too late to learn some skills.  If nothing else, maybe consider keeping a good basic skills book in hand.  Here are a few I keep in our library:

Besides that, humor is a great gift- keep your friends amused and they'll do the fishing!

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:

You could be food.  :lol:

I chuckle at the same time every time I go fishing in the Bayou down Louisiana way OR when I go up to Vermont to hang out with some folks who really know how to live off the land. 
    When I was a kid I knew far more than I know now -- I certainly could shoot and fish and stuff like that...but how well would I do it?  Would it be enough to survive?  Guess I would need to adapt.  Some people would build their own home, create alternatives to electricity, grow and store their own food, etc -- I am missing lots of what people used to think of as basic knowledge.  (I know far more than most city raised people, being country raised, but I am out of practice!)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    Yeah Hugh, if you have no survival skills, I agree just getting a few books about it and keeping them with your emergency supplies, and bringing one with you when you go into nature (and are therefore at risk of getting lost or something), is a really good idea! Can't hurt!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    e...mer.....gen....cy....sup.....plies? what are those?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    if I had been the subject of Into The Wild, it would have been the shortest movie of all time. 

"dude dies of starvation in back lane of own house-backpack full of cd's and marijuana". 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

if I had been the subject of Into The Wild, it would have been the shortest movie of all time. 

"dude dies of starvation in back lane of own house-backpack full of cd's and marijuana". 
      I'd watch that movie just for kicks! :lol:

My own thinking is that some people can get really carried away with "emergency supplies", storing up hoards of bean and rice and such.  How long will a barn full of beans keep you alive?  And what a horribly boring diet!  I think of emergency supplies as only those things that would keep us going for a few weeks.  We keep several gallons of battled water on hand, a few weeks worth of food in the pantry, plenty of candles, flashlights, a small generator and a couple gallons of gas, batteries and matches.  If an emergency last more than a few weeks or even a month or two, unless one lives in Puerto Rico or some place similar, anything lasting longer than that probably means full break down of services.  If that happens it's time to go into full-on survival or party hard and die. Maybe with a little luck the "trajectory toward disaster" will be slow and gradual and will give us all time to adapt.  Maybe a good reason for all of us to start scaling back now and learning to live more simply. 

:lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2018
    e...mer.....gen....cy....sup.....plies? what are those?
    Haha. Well, maybe where you live those aren't even all that important... though they definitely will come in handy if there is an extended power outage, which is always a possibility.
    On the west coast emergency supplies are a big deal because we're all waiting for the big one, lol. FTR, my "emergency supplies" currently consist of one gallon of old water, the food currently in my kitchen, and whatever camping supplies I have stored away, although I left batteries in anything very useful for way too long and all that is now covered in that white ruptured battery shit, lol. I should probably do something about that. :tongue: I would definitely feel more comfortable if I had a good emergency supply stash, with light sources, a chemical toilet, a first aid kit, way more water and emergency food. At least I have a camping stove and extra gas canisters, although those might have expired, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    I live in Winnipeg. A climate currently harsher than some neighbouring planets with no atmosphere. 

I'd say it would serve me well to learn a few things. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    I live in Winnipeg. A climate currently harsher than some neighbouring planets with no atmosphere. 

I'd say it would serve me well to learn a few things. 
    Might be time to go shopping for one of these (but saved money and avoid the name brands).

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    People will continue having too many babies.

People will buy useless shit

People will continue to be more ignorant and elections will reflect that.

People will continue with the 'me' mentality

People will fill oceans with more plastic

People will watch the Kardashians

People in America will continue to buy guns and shoot each other

People will hunt and torture animals for fun or 'science'

People will stare out their phones to 'communicate' rather than communicate with the person next to them.

Smelly will fly to Italy to see Pearl Jam.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited January 2018
    Best Picture - Dunkirk
    Record of The Year - Bruno Mars, 24K Magic
    Super Bowl - New England Patriots
    World Series - Cleveland Indians
    Stanley Cup - Las Vegas Golden Showers (biggest fan, DT)
    NBA Championship - Golden State Warriors
    CFP - Georgia Bulldogs
    NCAA Basketball - Duke Blue Devils
    Game of Thrones doesn't air until 2019, pissing the world off
    Highest Grossing Film Of 2018 -Avengers, Infinity Wars
    Biggest Dud Film of 2018 - Pacific Rim - Who Cares What  the Sequel is Called
    # of Pearl Jam US Shows -- 6 (NYx2, Philly x2, Boston x2)

So Wrong so early in the year about the College Football Champions..........

this man F'Me cannot be trusted for his predictions... :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    My prediction for 2018 is

Shyner is set free 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:

I’ve had this thought. I’ve got a basement full of good beer...I’m hoping that gets me far along in consumption and trade to get me the skills I need! 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Shyner said:

Shyner is set free 
    i keep seeing these cries for help from you. you know there's nothing any of us can do, so you can post these without fear of anyone you know judging you, and it temporarily makes you feel better. you know how i know this? ask @2-feign-reluctance. he knows. i've done it myself when i was at my lowest. but i'm still here and so should you be. so you really do need to go see someone. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Shyner said:

Shyner is set free 

Shyner said:

Shyner is set free 
    i keep seeing these cries for help from you. you know there's nothing any of us can do, so you can post these without fear of anyone you know judging you, and it temporarily makes you feel better. you know how i know this? ask @2-feign-reluctance. he knows. i've done it myself when i was at my lowest. but i'm still here and so should you be. so you really do need to go see someone. 
    I think Hugh is right on here, Shyner.  I've been so low I was almost no more.  What a waste that would have been!  There's so much to life and so little time.  One day you're young and have forever and the next, you're old.  As Saul Bellow (and Robin Williams in "Dead Poet's Society) put it, "seize the day!"  Make your life marvelous.  Only you can do it (and I believe you can) but, yeah, getting a little help along the way is a good thing.  No shame in that at all!

What a couple of beautiful people here. 
    Your right though nobody can help me as i cannot help others. Only with encouragement through words. 
    Way cool to read what u2 wrote for me. 
    Love to all
    Shyner said:

Shyner is set free 
    I feel like I've been given the keys to write what i feel and not be judged or hopefully not gotten sick of by my pearl jamming friends. 
    brianlux said:
    Shyner said:

Shyner is set free 

Shyner said:

Shyner is set free 
    I think Hugh is right on here, Shyner.  I've been so low I was almost no more.  What a waste that would have been!  There's so much to life and so little time.  One day you're young and have forever and the next, you're old.  As Saul Bellow (and Robin Williams in "Dead Poet's Society) put it, "seize the day!"  Make your life marvelous.  Only you can do it (and I believe you can) but, yeah, getting a little help along the way is a good thing.  No shame in that at all!
    Thanks. You both should get an award for being the nicest to me. I shall call them shyners and I'll give ya both 1. Love you It's that simple
    Stick with us Shyner!  :plus_one:

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Smellyman said:

The most important prediction
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    Smellyman said:

People will stare out their phones to 'communicate' rather than communicate with the person next to them.

I think you could have put "people in North America" in front of all of those lines. A lot of other countries are doing a LOT about all those things and don't have many of the problems you mentioned.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:

I think you could have put "people in North America" in front of all of those lines. A lot of other countries are doing a LOT about all those things and don't have many of the problems you mentioned.
    Or even "most First World Countries" perhaps?