Here's your green party candidate

Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
Really looks like she's not a Russian asset, right?

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/944011624578519040

I wonder, will this post get taken down too?
2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Yes, you are correct, she really looks like she's not a Russian asset. 

This is so not a hot topic.  What it is is yet another pointless, distraction. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    brianlux said:

Agree.  It's not a real hot topic.  I think it should definitely bare more scrutiny.  And maybe "Russian agent" isn't the correct way of putting it.  Useful idiot may be more accurate.  There's a reason she gets seated at that table, and her response in the clip sounds a lot like Donald Jr talking about Russian adoption.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

Agree.  It's not a real hot topic.  I think it should definitely bare more scrutiny.  And maybe "Russian agent" isn't the correct way of putting it.  Useful idiot may be more accurate.  There's a reason she gets seated at that table, and her response in the clip sounds a lot like Donald Jr talking about Russian adoption.  
    And yet you agree it's not that important a topic.  I think it's an example of keeping people running in circles like the proverbial drunk carpenter in a circular room looking for a corner to piss in.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited December 2017
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

And yet you agree it's not that important a topic.  I think it's an example of keeping people running in circles like the proverbial drunk carpenter in a circular room looking for a corner to piss in.
    No.  I agreed that it's "not a hot topic."  Why?  I don't know.  I would say a hot topic is vastly different than an important topic.  Why do you say it's a pointless distraction?  Distraction from what?  This has been out there for a while, and reported on again recently.  For Stein to be sitting at the table with Putin - the same famed dinner with Flynn - put on by RT news, I think needs some answers.  If you have a different take, please share.  
    Post edited by Gtilley8 on
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

No.  I agreed that it's "not a hot topic."  Why?  I don't know.  I would say a hot topic is vastly different than an important topic.  Why do you say it's a pointless distraction?  Distraction from what?  This has been out there for a while, and reported on again recently.  For Stein to be sitting at the table with Putin - the same famed dinner with Flynn - put on by RT news, I think needs some answers.  If you have a different take, please share.  
    I think of "hot" topics as important topics but I'm probably not up to date on the lingo, LOL.

I think this kind of thing is a distraction from all the many far more important topics that will have a greater impact on our lives- topics like global warming, Earth Overshoot Day (which comes earlier each year), the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, pollution of all kinds including air, water and noise, an economy that seems poised to fall in on itself, an unbearable amount of national debt, terribly poor leadership, child abuse, human trafficking, slavery, racism, the population of a large mammal called "homo sapiens" which has surpassed carrying capacity, nuclear proliferation, and whatever else I've forgotten at the moment that is more important than a candidate who had no chance of winning an election and little influence in politics having dinner with a guy who likes to ride bears shirtless.

Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

I think of "hot" topics as important topics but I'm probably not up to date on the lingo, LOL.

I think this kind of thing is a distraction from all the many far more important topics that will have a greater impact on our lives- topics like global warming, Earth Overshoot Day (which comes earlier each year), the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, pollution of all kinds including air, water and noise, an economy that seems poised to fall in on itself, an unbearable amount of national debt, terribly poor leadership, child abuse, human trafficking, slavery, racism, the population of a large mammal called "homo sapiens" which has surpassed carrying capacity, nuclear proliferation, and whatever else I've forgotten at the moment that is more important than a candidate who had no chance of winning an election and little influence in politics having dinner with a guy who likes to ride bears shirtless.
    Fair enough, and all good points.  I happen to believe that for the things you stated to move in a positive direction, it starts with getting the right people in office.  Not that any candidate we had was what I would call the "right" candidate.  But there's a difference between an absolute train wreck (that just signed a tax cut that adds to the debt), and a candidate that at the very least wouldn't have pulled us out of the Paris Accord - who's goals are to combat the climate issues you stated.  

So, since none of those things you listed are on the current agenda of our party in power, I think it's right to look at how it could've happened that Trump became president.  Since it's abundantly clear Russia had a favorite candidate, and very clear that they were recruiting people to do their bidding - and also clear that Flynn had improper contacts - the question of what the hell was Jill Stein doing at that dinner should absolutely be investigated and answered.

It's great to have positive ideals and even better to think about how to better our country and planet.  But to not look into how we got to this current situation - to not learn from mistakes - that just compounds a problem we'll be doomed to repeat.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Gtilley8 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

Fair enough, and all good points.  I happen to believe that for the things you stated to move in a positive direction, it starts with getting the right people in office.  Not that any candidate we had was what I would call the "right" candidate.  But there's a difference between an absolute train wreck (that just signed a tax cut that adds to the debt), and a candidate that at the very least wouldn't have pulled us out of the Paris Accord - who's goals are to combat the climate issues you stated.  

So, since none of those things you listed are on the current agenda of our party in power, I think it's right to look at how it could've happened that Trump became president.  Since it's abundantly clear Russia had a favorite candidate, and very clear that they were recruiting people to do their bidding - and also clear that Flynn had improper contacts - the question of what the hell was Jill Stein doing at that dinner should absolutely be investigated and answered.

It's great to have positive ideals and even better to think about how to better our country and planet.  But to not look into how we got to this current situation - to not learn from mistakes - that just compounds a problem we'll be doomed to repeat.  
    I have to say, it's pretty hard to argue your points here, Gt., and well said.  Definitely words to consider. 

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    jill stein is lying. really, no introductions?? sitting at the same table and no introductions? must have been a super dull, forgettable occasion.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

I have to say, it's pretty hard to argue your points here, Gt., and well said.  Definitely words to consider. 
    Thank you.  And I could've probably framed my initial post a little better.  This was by no means an indictment of the green party, or their ideals. (I voted Nader in 2000 and will always regret it - but that's for a different thread)

I go into nearly every election - local, state, national - thinking that most of the politicians are a little scummy on some level.  What I don't expect is that they'll be playing nice with countries that have time and again proven to be our adversaries.  I suppose it's possible that this sort of thing happens all the time, but I've never heard of it - and being as cynical as I am, my brain takes me to the most nefarious of motives.  Then to see Stein's responses to questions.... Just seems disingenuous, at best.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

jill stein is lying. really, no introductions?? sitting at the same table and no introductions? must have been a super dull, forgettable occasion.
    Ha!  Yeah.  Can you imagine Russia, which favored Trump, saying "I got an idea, let's have a glamorous dinner put on by our state run media outlet and bring in two camps running against Clinton.  We're going to sit them at the same table as Putin...... And not have any introductions!  Hell, they won't even talk to each other.  Brilliant!"
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

Thank you.  And I could've probably framed my initial post a little better.  This was by no means an indictment of the green party, or their ideals. (I voted Nader in 2000 and will always regret it - but that's for a different thread)

I go into nearly every election - local, state, national - thinking that most of the politicians are a little scummy on some level.  What I don't expect is that they'll be playing nice with countries that have time and again proven to be our adversaries.  I suppose it's possible that this sort of thing happens all the time, but I've never heard of it - and being as cynical as I am, my brain takes me to the most nefarious of motives.  Then to see Stein's responses to questions.... Just seems disingenuous, at best.  
    It's hard not be be cynical about politics and politicians, almost impossible.  As for Stein, she was never a strong candidate.  I just couldn't vote for either Clinton not Trump and since, being a California voter, I knew our states electoral college votes would go to Hillary anyway, I had the luxury of being able to vote for a third party.  It was a horrible election year.  Hopefully, better luck next time (though it really shouldn't be about luck).

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

It's hard not be be cynical about politics and politicians, almost impossible.  As for Stein, she was never a strong candidate.  I just couldn't vote for either Clinton not Trump and since, being a California voter, I knew our states electoral college votes would go to Hillary anyway, I had the luxury of being able to vote for a third party.  It was a horrible election year.  Hopefully, better luck next time (though it really shouldn't be about luck).
    The one thing that’s not being talked about or taken for granted is that our democratic way of life and political process will be intact come 2020 I have real concerns about that specially with who is in charge at the moment ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

The one thing that’s not being talked about or taken for granted is that our democratic way of life and political process will be intact come 2020 I have real concerns about that specially with who is in charge at the moment ..
    I think that's totally relevant......As to the point about the process.... Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the war rhetoric we hear is for that specific purpose (to suspend rights).  Trump is a power and money hungry asshole.  We're dealing with something largely unseen in this country's history.  

The other thing we need to think about is having faith in our system.  Sure, there's plenty of flaws.  There's also a healthy dose of corporate greed played out in the form of corporate welfare, voted in by Republicans.  Not that they're the only ones to blame.  But informed voters need to turn out each and every election.  If that happens, we'll end up in a place we need to be.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

edited December 2017
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:

I think that's totally relevant......As to the point about the process.... Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the war rhetoric we hear is for that specific purpose (to suspend rights).  Trump is a power and money hungry asshole.  We're dealing with something largely unseen in this country's history.  

The other thing we need to think about is having faith in our system.  Sure, there's plenty of flaws.  There's also a healthy dose of corporate greed played out in the form of corporate welfare, voted in by Republicans.  Not that they're the only ones to blame.  But informed voters need to turn out each and every election.  If that happens, we'll end up in a place we need to be.  
    Good points here GT.  Our system, despite its flaws, can work quite well when the populous gets involved.  I've been a small part of the system and seen it happen.  I would add, though, that getting out and voting, important as it is, is not likely going to be enough to move things in a more stable and sensible direction.  What is also needed is better overall understanding of how our government works (I know I could learn more), better education in general (the kind that leads to critical thinking) and more participation in government through letters and phone calls to representatives, and seeing government in action by attending city hall meetings, county board meetings and, where and when possible, attending hearings etc. at state capitols. 

What concerns me is, first and foremost, the number of people don't vote, plus the number of people who know little about government or the candidates themselves but vote anyway.  And that's just the first, basic, lowest level of participation in the system.  The average American knows next to nothing about any of this.  And if they vote at all, they vote based on ill informed biases.

And then there's the issue of how people are deceived.  A good look at how that works is presented in the excellent book and/or documentary, "Merchants of Doubt:"
    Post edited by brianlux on