Options

Am I overreacting by being upset at this Seinfeld joke?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited December 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gPJpzgPReE

I have only seen a handful of episodes on television and always laughed. I thought I'd buy the whole series as a dvd box set for myself.
I got to this episode and I don't know, don't feel like continuing.
I felt sickened at this "joke".
As someone who has gone through dark times and been close to ending it I was angered.
I wish I could return my box set at the store but I don't think they'd refund me.

Are there any more shit "jokes" like this in the remainder of the series?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited December 2017
    Eh, things affect people differently.  I like some (actually, a lot of) dark humor.  Hell, as someone whose grandparents were hauled off to a camp during the Holocaust, I thought the Curb episode of "The Survivor" was hilarious.  Even that recent bit Larry did on SNL.

*edit - I should emphasize that I'm far from lacking empathy toward your experiences and how it impacts your reaction.  Albeit it in other ways, suicide has touched my life as well.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I think one if the things that is so great about that show is it's irreverence and pointing at how silly we can be as people.
    George offends everyone.  That is his gag.
    If this offends you, i think you may want to find someone to give the series to who will enjoy it.  It's one of the most popular shows ever because there was a time (not that long ago) when people were allowed to make jokes and everything wasn't a real life commentary on how you should behave.  
    I love the show.
    I hate our current climate of being offended at everything, everywhere.
    This climate is offensive to me.
    ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I don't know, I just think mental illness and suicides should be off limits.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I can respect that opinion, of course.  I think nothing is off limits depending on context and audience.
    "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand."

I have found that laughter always helps me....but I understand others not agreeing with that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The way some have used laugher to make sense of their mental illness I have no issue with.
    I know Carrie Fisher did used laughter.
    But the way Jerry Seinfeld used it seemed very nasty.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756
    I can respect that opinion, of course.  I think nothing is off limits depending on context and audience.
    "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand."

I have found that laughter always helps me....but I understand others not agreeing with that.
    I agree with this. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I don't know, I just think mental illness and suicides should be off limits.
    Once you start setting limits, it's only a matter of time until everything is off limits.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Would jokes about the holocaust or what African-Americans went through be an exception? Or is it still if we start setting limits, it's only a matter of time until everything is off limits?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    It’s 30 seconds of a nine season show. Of course they won’t accept a return for this reason. 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    Would jokes about the holocaust or what African-Americans went through be an exception? Or is it still if we start setting limits, it's only a matter of time until everything is off limits?
    Yeah, it's only a matter of time. 
    You've never heard Holocaust or slavery jokes?
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

If you have to ask yourself if you're right to be offended by a joke, you've already got your answer.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Just watched the posted clip, and I’m glad I was never a fan of the show or his standup. No way that routine flies today, in my opinion.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    You should just be offended by the fact that it's the most unfunny show ever. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    There are bad jokes, there are jokes that are fucked up, there are jokes that are too soon and too personal, but the issue is the joke and it's context, not the joke's subject matter.

You don't joke about the Holocaust at a memorial, you don't tell suicide jokes to Chester Bennington's family, but both have a time and place where they should be wholly acceptable.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

If you have to ask yourself if you're right to be offended by a joke, you've already got your answer.
    I don't think things like that are for joking. That's just me.
  • Options
    Also if you were offended by the joke then that is your reality. No one else can be the judge of what offends you, only you can do that. I say give returning it a try, if that doesn't work and you really don't want to keep the box set then post it for sale and get rid of it.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    I just watched the clip.
    Pretty tame stuff.

Y'all must be new to stand-up comedy lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

Maybe comedy is not for you?

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

Not that kind of comedy. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

Not that kind of comedy. 
    There's always Bill Cosby, he may have been raping ladies, but his comedy was clean.
  • Options
    Are you saying that Two and a Half Men is funnier than Seinfeld?
    Big Bang Theory?
    Joanie Loves Chachi is funnier than Seinfeld??

• Options
    People often laugh at things they are scared of. 
    This guy isn't funny full stop.
    Throw the boxset in the bin and leave this where it belongs. Just un funny in my opinion. Its not clever "comedy" in my eyes. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

Not that kind of comedy. 
    There's always Bill Cosby, he may have been raping ladies, but his comedy was clean.
    I'll just stick to my beloved Simpsons.
  • Options
    People often laugh at things they are scared of. 
    This guy isn't funny full stop.
    Throw the boxset in the bin and leave this where it belongs. Just un funny in my opinion. Its not clever "comedy" in my eyes. 
    I don't have much of an income being a full-time student.
    Wish I saved my $65.
    I've loved every episode, laughed a lot but when I got to this episode it's disgusted me. 
    I'll see if I can exchange it for a store voucher and spend it on something else.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    edited December 2017
    If not trade it. Or put it up on RAK. I mean ive never seen the guy before. He is a nobody in uk. But there is something for everyone i guess.As we say here. Not my cup of tea
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm a pretty irreverent person and I'll joke about almost anything, but I think there's a time and a place for that kind of humor.   I also think that we all have a boundary when it comes to certain topics, based on our own beliefs and experiences.  For example, I won't tolerate jokes about rape.  Let's just say I've had enough experience with the reality that I'll never find it funny.

I do a lot of training and public speaking.  I used to train with a guy from another organization that was an expert on suicide.  He'd begin his presentations by saying that there wasn't going to be any joking about the subject while he was speaking.  He acknowledged that people may laugh about suicide in some settings and he in fact collected suicide jokes, which he'd share in other circumstances.  But there would be no laughing about it while everyone was learning.  I liked the way he handled it.

You don't have to like every joke to appreciate comedy.  I don't think you're overreacting when you've got your own feelings about it and you're entitled to them.

If you can't get past the joke to enjoy the rest of the series, I can understand that too.  Lots of people think Lily Tomlin is funny and talented.  She came to my university and did a stand up routine.  She was absolutely the rudest, most offensive (in terms of how she treated her audience) performer I've ever encountered.  That was many, many years ago and I still don't like her or anything she does.  I can't get past remembering how rude and insulting she was when I saw her live.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    If not trade it. Or put it up on RAK. I mean ive never seen the guy before. He is a nobody in uk. But there is something for everyone i guess.As we say here. Not my cup of tea
    What's RAK?
  • Options
    My grandmother committed suicide, so this one is personal to me.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    What's RAK?

Thread on Lost Dogs. It stands for Random Act of Kindness.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sam Kinison talking about starving countries is among my favorites.  Doesn't mean i laugh at people actually needing sustenance.  We find humor where we can and do, and within that, our own kind of comfort.

Not for you?  Walk away, toss it, sell it.

If someone doesn't dig a certain stance, fine.  Get rid of it, let the offense to you or whomever do its thing for better or worse, and move on.

Put that energy to good use?

• Options
    rgambs said:
    Are you saying that Two and a Half Men is funnier than Seinfeld?
    Big Bang Theory?
    Joanie Loves Chachi is funnier than Seinfeld??

Yes,  I have laughed at least once at each of those shows. Which is more than I have laughed at anything Seinfeld. Seinfeld sucks, always has always will.