Options

Harsh, brittle, sharp and bright.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
What the world doesn't need now is another rant, so read no further if you don't want to hear one!

For a few years now, I've been noticing how light and sound are becoming more harsh and bright.  We just got a new phone and the ringer is sharply bright and super high pitched.  Headlights and taillights on most new cars (and lighting in some places) are harshly bright LED's making night driving more challenging.  My neighbor recently put up Christmas lights- harsh, bright white LED's supposed to look like icicles but cast a wickedly sharp and bright hue at night.  Music on computer, phones, in stores and in many homes is harsh, bright, digital machine music.

Am I the only one who notices this?  I've never heard anyone else make mention of this fact before.  The world seems so much more harsh, brittle, sharp and bright to me than in years past. Is that acceptable or preferred, even?  Am I too sensitive or am I just getting outdated?  I miss a generally more balanced world that included a softer touch, graced by warmer sound and light.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    do you yell at kids from your porch Brian? hahaha sorry I couldn't resist.
    I hate the new headlights, damn near blind ya.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Nami said:
    No, but I do howl at the moon.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Actually, this is a good point, Nami.  I don't want to become the quintessential nasty, grumpy old man.  If I were able to be convinced that people in general prefer light to be harsh and bright and sound to be sharp, brittle and always loud, I would have to concede the issue is my own age and sensitivities.  And  I do believe there are times when any of those things have their place but I find it hard to imagine that most people actually like things harsh, brittle, sharp and bright.  I might be a dinosaur after all.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:
    https://youtu.be/S7DykTWuVKE
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    everything is either too fast or too slow.... as well.  
    I hate dance music, somewhat tolerate some rap, and never had time for heavy metal.  I don't think its age its more preference, in knowing what we like/dislike. When we were young, more or less, we went with the flow- like it or not. 
    in regards to technology, Id carry no cell phone if I had a choice (wife/kid- you know deal), if I had my time back I would have kept my flip phone. haah   TV's now there's one thing I like bright, clear, and crisp.  Vinyl too I guess in some regards... clear and crisp.... with levels of feel.
    don't get me started on traffic....
    I think I'll jump on the porch with you and howl at those damn kids....hahaha

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I don't notice that with sound, but definitely agree with the lights. The worst are the car headlights because you can't really avoid seeing them if you're driving. I was driving home the other day and said something to the effect of the a-hole in the other lane isn't going to turn off his high beams. My wife laughed and said, "dear, those are the low beams." Those were some blinding lights and almost gave me a headache.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2017
    It's nothing new.

My eyes and ears have been hurting ever since the first time I had to sit through The Wizard of Oz. Such a godawful ugly, shrill shit movie.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited December 2017
    I like my music and TV loud and crisp but I'm generally not a sensory-overload type of person...which is why I've avoided going back to Las Vegas for years now.  Too many lights, noises - too many people!

What also gets me are those damned gifs and shit embedded in articles now.  It's difficult to read when there are flashing and moving images within my periphery.

(Oh, DK.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uauzmu4IAc
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:
    https://youtu.be/S7DykTWuVKE
    Ramones!  Yeah, I love it... but it sounds so harsh on this little lap top at work! :lol:

• Options
    I don't notice that with sound, but definitely agree with the lights. The worst are the car headlights because you can't really avoid seeing them if you're driving. I was driving home the other day and said something to the effect of the a-hole in the other lane isn't going to turn off his high beams. My wife laughed and said, "dear, those are the low beams." Those were some blinding lights and almost gave me a headache.
    Exactly!  So the question is, why were they designed that way?  Baffling!

• Options
    hedonist said:
    I like my music and TV loud and crisp but I'm generally not a sensory-overload type of person...which is why I've avoided going back to Las Vegas for years now.  Too many lights, noises - too many people!

What also gets me are those damned gifs and shit embedded in articles now.  It's difficult to read when there are flashing and moving images within my periphery.

(Oh, DK.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uauzmu4IAc
    foochuck.  Why does that word look like something else?  :lol:

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Brian, do you think it's possible that this is actually a change in your own perceptions? Like, you're just become more sensitive to sensory input as time's marched on? I mean, yes, there is a lot more blue light in this world now because of computer screens and smartphones, but besides that, I don't know. FYI, there are apps that actually slowly dims your blue light balance on your screens to time with the setting of the sun. There is scientific benefits to using these apps. One of them is called F.lux (it's like the app was made especially for you! ;) ). 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Brian, do you think it's possible that this is actually a change in your own perceptions? Like, you're just become more sensitive to sensory input as time's marched on? I mean, yes, there is a lot more blue light in this world now because of computer screens and smartphones, but besides that, I don't know. FYI, there are apps that actually slowly dims your blue light balance on your screens to time with the setting of the sun. There is scientific benefits to using these apps. One of them is called F.lux (it's like the app was made especially for you! ;) ). 
    I've definitely been more sensitive to sound since the explosion in 1993 that damaged the nerves in my hearing but even before that I had quickly grown disinterested in CD's because of their harsh sound. This and what is called "loudness wars"- which is the proliferation of high compression used in audio mastering techniques- has been discussed nearly endless on the Hoffman TV site.  A LOT of people are growing weary of compression and digital sound now that the pleasures of warn analogue sound are being brought back.

And same with bright lights.  Headlights are measurable more bright and irritation.  I'd put money on the idea that headlights are causing more accidents at night.

And dang it, I'm getting old.  I should be less sensitive, not more! 

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Hate the loudness wars. I love the old sound for sure. 
    Even shops at shopping centres are bright and loud.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014