Let it Be

pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
edited November 2018 in Other Music
Post edited by pickupyourwill on

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,009
    edited December 2017
    Not a fan of the historic (and present it seems) Yoko bashing.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    My friend was in a band and when their bassist found a new girlfriend and decided not to attend weekly rehearsals my friend messaged me saying "we've got a bit of a Yoko situation here" lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I think Yoko made Lennon better as a musician, or at least not being a Beatle did. I actually think everyone in the band were better after the Beatles broke up. All their solo work is excellent. So basically, I think Yoko did everyone a favour, lol. Well.... maybe not Ringo. :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    It was kinda fucking weird she would hang out with them in the studio, but she isn't the reason they broke up and its unfair she gets all the guff.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited December 2017
    It was kinda fucking weird she would hang out with them in the studio, but she isn't the reason they broke up and its unfair she gets all the guff.

You're right that is weird on a social level. Bringing your partner/spouse to work with you is fucked up, lol. But really that was probably John being weird more than it was Yoko. I have to assume John wanted her there, and even insisted on it even though the band hated it. That is obsession-level shit right there.

Speaking of Yoko... Most of her music is god-awful, but I've always kind of liked her otherwise. Also, I feel terribly empathetic about her loss of John. Those two were SO amazingly in love, clearly ... she must be living with a permanently broken heart, and that makes me sad. :heartbreak:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You're right that is weird on a social level. Bringing your partner/spouse to work with you is fucked up, lol. But really that was probably John being weird more than it was Yoko. I have to assume John wanted her there, and even insisted on it even though the band hated it. That is obsession-level shit right there.

Speaking of Yoko... Most of her music is god-awful, but I've always kind of liked her otherwise. Also, I feel terribly empathetic about her loss of John. Those two were SO amazingly in love, clearly ... she must be living with a permanently broken heart, and that makes me sad. :heartbreak:
    Yeah, I'm not heartless, she seems like a cool lady.  Maybe Lennon's wife was on her way out of the marriage too--we'll all never really know the whole story and it doesn't matter in the end.  People break up and start anew all the time.  I just think I had Lennon on too high a pedestal.  
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I'm not heartless, she seems like a cool lady.  Maybe Lennon's wife was on her way out of the marriage too--we'll all never really know the whole story and it doesn't matter in the end.  People break up and start anew all the time.  I just think I had Lennon on too high a pedestal.  
    Re. the part in bold, yeah, I agree. And at the time this was  all going on, I and some others at the time got really sick of hearing about it.  I didn't care.  The band was destined to break up, of that there is not doubt. Maybe Yoko was simply the catalyst destined  to set the break into motion.  Who knows.  It was all getting too weird and narcissistic at the time-- the nude photos, interviews in bed, too much acid, etc.  An excellent example of why musicians are generally best off leaving their personal lives personal.  Let the music speak, let the pen and the instruments be the weapons and keep the bedroom door shut to the world.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Re. the part in bold, yeah, I agree. And at the time this was  all going on, I and some others at the time got really sick of hearing about it.  I didn't care.  The band was destined to break up, of that there is not doubt. Maybe Yoko was simply the catalyst destined  to set the break into motion.  Who knows.  It was all getting too weird and narcissistic at the time-- the nude photos, interviews in bed, too much acid, etc.  An excellent example of why musicians are generally best off leaving their personal lives personal.  Let the music speak, let the pen and the instruments be the weapons and keep the bedroom door shut to the world.

Well said, sir.   I do apologize to anyone I have offended.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well said, sir.   I do apologize to anyone I have offended.
    I don't think anyone was offended.  I wasn't!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    "The pair maintained a platonic relationship until the spring of 1968. In May that year, they spent time together in his home studio while his wife, Cynthia, was away on holiday. They recorded an avant-garde tape that would eventually be released as Unfinished Music No.1: Two Virgins, before consummating their new relationship. From that point on, the two were almost always together, even as Lennon was working with the rest of the band in the studio. This violated a previous tacit agreement between the members not to let wives or girlfriends into the studio."

I got this off Wikipedia...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-up_of_the_Beatles

I always heard the term "Don't be a Yoko and break up the band" here and there throughout observing rock and roll, but never really knew the real story behind it.  I didn't know Lennon had a wife he was cheating on---pretty shitty Lennon, but hey, I guess all that new creative energy payed off in the end and kept things fresh, right?  I'm not questioning how creative genius works, its just sad to see the ones that get hurt and shit upon in the process, the debris and damage left behind when free spirits get to run wild all the time for the sake of art.
    You spelled paid wrong
  • Options
    rollings said:
    "The pair maintained a platonic relationship until the spring of 1968. In May that year, they spent time together in his home studio while his wife, Cynthia, was away on holiday. They recorded an avant-garde tape that would eventually be released as Unfinished Music No.1: Two Virgins, before consummating their new relationship. From that point on, the two were almost always together, even as Lennon was working with the rest of the band in the studio. This violated a previous tacit agreement between the members not to let wives or girlfriends into the studio."

I got this off Wikipedia...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-up_of_the_Beatles

I always heard the term "Don't be a Yoko and break up the band" here and there throughout observing rock and roll, but never really knew the real story behind it.  I didn't know Lennon had a wife he was cheating on---pretty shitty Lennon, but hey, I guess all that new creative energy payed off in the end and kept things fresh, right?  I'm not questioning how creative genius works, its just sad to see the ones that get hurt and shit upon in the process, the debris and damage left behind when free spirits get to run wild all the time for the sake of art.
    You spelled paid wrong
    I think payed was correct.

payed: to seal (the deck or seams of a wooden ship) with pitch or tar to prevent leakage. 
    "Lennon and Ono's creative energy was so intense it payed the deck of their ship and kept the bounty in the hull fresh (for smoking, cooking, making into oil, etc.)."

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Yoko is the definition of a gold digger.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Yoko is the definition of a gold digger.
    Ouch!   Really?  

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    chick musta had some “skills” :tired_face:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12