Options

Song of the day(Breath)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
Before we begin on VS, lets get the rest of the Ten era songs on here.

This first one is a very special song, that has a lot of mystique to it, if any of you want, comment on why you think that is.

Breath

JDE-PJ
8/14/01 4:22 PM
Song of the day(Breath)!!!!!!!!!!

Okay Rachel here you go, I can not beelive the Single soundtrack were not done, my fault as I just assumed it was on RrVwmirrors saved disks, unfortunetly they were not, as I just found out.

It is very late in the day to start this one, but this is such a great song, that I could post this at 3am and it should get tons of replies.

So now here it is this song one of the most requested songs this group has, enjoy everyone.

BREATH

oh, tonight began with anything
shaft of a light, warm breath and a scream
oh, tamper if you like between the doors
oh, can't expect to go out, to go out with anything, anything more
oh reach the door, a breath and a...
oh reach the door...and a la la la la yeah
life ain't what it's worth
a breath and a...oh reach the door
all these reaching hands out grabbing things...grabbing me
day in day out accumulating
whoa, i suggest you step out on your porch
run away my son...see it all...oh see the world
oh reach the door...a breath and a...
oh reach the door...oha and a la la la la yeah
life ain't what it's worth
a breath and a...oh reach the door
come, here it comes, there it goes, when it comes
where it goes, where it comes
can't see through the faith...woah
ooh come, here it comes, there it goes
grasp what you can
don't you know there's something inside your head, yeah
oh, if i knew where it was i would take you there but there's much more than this
ooh whoa, much more than this
oh see the world
much more than...
oh, much more than...why?

I know someday you will have a beautiful life

Jason

pjandneil
8/14/01 4:38 PM
Re: Song of the day(Breath)!!!!!!!!!!

I love this song so much. I wish they would play it live.

Keith
Spin the Black Circle

lifeisworth
8/14/01 4:43 PM

well, whaddya know. life ain't what it's worth. (me & lukin says it is)

i hang my head in shame cause i just don't know this tune
;(

N.man lead me to audiogalaxy and i downloaded all their stinking software -AND- this tune and all i got was the first 10 seconds of the song. what would Hedonist say? Eargasmic?

gggrr.

so, i have to go to Hastings a special order it

thank you jason
:)

But Daddy, I want an oompaloompa now!~Veruca Salt

lifeisworth
8/14/01 4:46 PM

dude, have you heard that Philly Boot? i hear it's great!

Raptorsfan
8/14/01 4:51 PM

one of my favourite songs....I think I'll go put that on right now. Absolutely adore the philly boot for this song. :)

anne

pjandneil
8/14/01 4:52 PM

Wow, God, I feel so stupid for not knowing that!!! Thanks, that'll be my next purchase!!!

Keith
Spin the Black Circle

JDE-PJ
8/14/01 5:00 PM
I do not have the Philly boot Anne:(

Oh poor poor me, but I was at some show in 98 though, when they played this song, think it might have been a kind of famous show too;)

Oh and it must have been a great show because Layla missed it:p

But I can not listen to that show on cd, for I gave it to my cousin to burn, but I do have that song on mp.3 so I think I will listen to Eddie curse the srowd right now:)

Jason

lifeisworth
8/14/01 5:00 PM
this just in: spacecadet's report

uh, i do have Breath - it was Hard to Imagine that didn't download right. so here, goes:

THIS SONG ROCKS!

did it get much radio play? totally sounds like a radio tune. i love the bridge on this one, hope it shows up on Rarities... :)

hedonist
8/14/01 5:07 PM
eargasmic...uh-huh

I adore this song, but I'd be hard pressed to offer up any kind of interp......

I will say, though, that "if I knew where it was, I would take you there...there's much more than this" is a priceless lyric, to me...feeling like you're nowhere and everywhere at once...knowing there's something more, something better...but not able to find it.....

In time.......

Raptorsfan
8/14/01 5:07 PM
Re: I do not have the Philly boo Anne:(

I may have an extra copy....I'll let you know soon. :)

anne

lifeisworth
8/14/01 5:11 PM
(raptorsfan)

i wouldn't have known if it wasn't for raptorsfan... she was there!!!

:)

Raptorsfan
8/14/01 5:17 PM
Re: (raptorsfan)

No I wasn't, I'm never that lucky... I just had an extra copy of the boot, sorry for the confusion. :)

anne

JDE-PJ
8/14/01 5:17 PM
Rachel pick this album up!!!!!

The Single's album is one of the best movie soundtracks of all time:)

You have to get this one, not just for the two PJ songs, this one and SOLAT, but the whole album is amazing.

Jason

JDE-PJ
8/14/01 5:25 PM
Re: eargasmic...uh-huh

Well I hope this post brings out some of the old timers who now lurk more than post Hedonist, I remember this one had some great interps on the old board.

So all you old timers, you ladies to be precise, you all know who you are, come out come out wherever you are.

hehe, Eddie said to me Fuck You:p

Jason

remrhcp
8/14/01 5:42 PM

Looooove this song...absolutely gorgeous.

8/14/01 8:36 PM

oh i love this song

it's such a none pearl jam sounding song - but you're right that soundtrack
is amazing

and on of the most infamous campaigns i would think in the history
of rock (???)

cool stuff

"yesterday's gone - all i want is a smile"

igotshit
8/14/01 11:19 PM

how is that philly boot treatin you anne, long time no talk, whats up

Raptorsfan
8/14/01 11:25 PM

lol, it's treating me just fine.....especially remembering why I received it, do you recall? Actually I recieved a few for Christmas...this happened to be one of them. :)

So are we on for next year.....you might not have a chance. :)

How are you?

anne

Dirty_Frank01
8/14/01 11:57 PM

I was at said show, since I'm in New Jersey. "Breath" was, needless to say, one hell of a surprise. A pleasant one, though.

-Drew
When I couldn't hold, I folded.

Raptorsfan
8/15/01 00:02 AM

You guys were so fortunate, listening to the boot....god, so amazing, gives me chills. I didn't know you were at this show...thought you went to Jones Beach for some reason.

anne

lifeisworth
8/15/01 12:23 PM
might i offer an interp?

how 'bout being born?

a shaft of light, warm breath, and a scream...

hand reaching, grabbin me...

just guessin (and Jason, I will go get it soon, thanks for the nudge)

I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    NeverNamed
    8/15/01 2:27 PM

one of my fav. PJ songs! I dunno why, but this song that hooked me into PJ. I just love it. I need to see them play it live.

Don't eat yellow snow...even if it's tastier.

JDE-PJ
    8/15/01 2:47 PM

Having been to the famous sign show in 98(msg2) I got my taste of this song, but it was so funny to see Stone and Eddie fighting on stage at Jones beach last year about this song.

Ed said Stone does not want to play this one, and the crowd booed him, then I think he said something about Stone taking a helicopter to the show or something, memory is hazy, will have to listen to two two JB shows and figure out which show this was at.

So I can just say about this song and having been lucky enough to see it in 98, was going to the first show of my life, of any concert the day before, I had read a review of the show at the Meadowlands on the 8th of Sept, so I knew about the Breath sign campaign. When we got to Msg, my friend and I I immediately saw a couple of people with signs, we waited all show and then during the encore all of a sudden there were signs everywhere, and Eddie was like what is this a fucking army or something like that, He then teased everyone by revealing, we um had the day off yesterday so we practiced this song, just as him saying that, the crowd erupted, before we had the chance to hear him say, but we are not going to do it tonight:(

The next night I was still flying from the night before, even with about the worse seats in the house at the garden, and with terrible fans surrounding me and my friends, the night was still so magical.

Hearing Eddie say well fuck you were going to pay it the sound was deafening as we showed our approval, even though Eddie flubbed a line or two, and even ask us how he was during after the first verse, it was still an amazing moment to see.

The end of that show that night with Alive being played and Mikey going wild and Eddie climbing the lighting fixture with the mic thing wrapped around it, after he failed 3 times to get the mic around it, was just I don't know, was just the prefect end to two wonderful nights of music for me and everyone else there, including the guys in the band:)

Jason

Plaidsurfshorts
    8/15/01 2:57 PM

Hey Jason! Hey gang!
    Man, I haven't done an SOTD in such a long time...Missed so many of them (and unfortunately still my Internet at home is a no-go [My bedroom is literally an "electrical shock hazard" according to the pros])
    Anyhow, I'll get my interp in here while I can...

I got the "Singles" sndtrk. my first Xmas after "discovering" PJ, and up until the past few months, I viewed "Breath" as a song about being stuck in one place and wanting to escape the status quo and/or a self-defeating situation.
    My interpretation now still is rooted in that, however as opposed to associating the song with kind of an "unable to move" metaphor, I see it more so as being about taking enough charge in your own life to initiate the change, as opposed to just begging for change or improvement amidst mediocrity. Instead of the "If I knew where it was / I would take you there ... There's much more than this" passage being a kind of resignation (ie. "I'm stuck here. I can't get out. I don't know what to do."), I take it more so as being the statement of determination ("I know there's more to life and it's up to me to find it.")

Pardon my long-windedness. I'm sure this didn't come across well. (I'm rusty!)
    :-)

"I was alone and far away / When I heard the band start playin'..."

JDE-PJ
    8/15/01 4:08 PM

Hi Sarah, sorry about your home net not being up for now, you can always catch up on the SOTD just search on my name, and you will eventually find them:)

Nice interp by the way,not rusty at all:)

Oh and when you get your net back up, check out the concerts of the day, and if you have anyone of thise boots, would like to hear your take on them.

Jason

lifeisworth
    8/15/01 4:35 PM

Hey Jason! that was the 10 year reunion show at Las Vegas!

"Stone's has the guts to fly here in a helicopter, but he doesn't have the guts to play Breath"

JDE-PJ
    8/15/01 4:44 PM
    um maybe eddie is repeating himself:P

Hey Rachel, I was not in Vegas, nor do I have the boot, so I trust you are correct on that one, but he also said something very similar at Jones beach.

I am not sure which show it was either 2 or 3 at JB, but I am sure this happened, unless I was kidnapped by an ufo and really saw the vegas show, but I do not remember being in Vegas, so I think Eddie is running out of things to say, so every month or so, he repeats the same things, and Stone and the rest of the band yell at him, Eddie you did that one in New Mexico last week, or that one was from Toronto, in October.;)

Jason

lifeisworth
    8/15/01 5:09 PM
    Re: um maybe eddie is repeating himself:P

or maybe my memory's been abducted:) I just checked my Vegas boot and i guess i thought he went to vegas in a helicopter, but he didn't It was JB2, jes like you said. whoops

JDE-PJ
    8/15/01 6:02 PM
    it is okay Rachel:p

Maybe you listened to Veags and JB2 back to back and you forgot which one you had on, and you put 2 and 2 together and you got 5;)

Now go out and get the Single soundtrack, so you too can enjoy this song, and the song of the day tomorrow:)

Jason

Layla
    8/16/01 01:56 AM
    my quirky concert past

But of course...Breath...a HUGE part of my concert history. You see if there is to be a historical Pearl Jam concert, it is to be the one AFTER i went to. In 96 I was at Randall's Island the night before practicly the longest concert in pj history, and in 98 I was at the garden the night before the culmination of the succesful Breath campaigne...hey, I never had hard feelings though...and in 2000 i just bought tickets to EVERY northeast show for weeks, in attempt of avoiding my previous fate...I stopped my run of concerts just before the playing of Wash. he he he he...figures. ;) BUT i did get to see this one in Camden!

"I wanna live, I wanna give." ~Neil Young
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason