Pearl Jam, Austin City Limits, 2009

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
Numerous times I've wondered, why has this show not been officially released on DVD (or at least CD or LP)?  Or has it (I don't think so).  There are unofficial boots out there but this is a great show and I believe would do well as an official release.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    edited December 2017
    There is a statute of limitations as far as use of shows from ACL go.  I was just in Austin a couple of weeks ago, and took the tour of ACL.  I believe it is 8 years before the artist can use the show. 

Fun fact, bands that play ACL get paid something like $250.

Here's more info:
    http://acltv.com/faq/#faq9

Are artists paid to be on Austin City Limits or do they play for free because it’s PBS?

Every performer who appears on Austin City Limits receives scale wages as set by the American Federation of Musicians.

Are CDs or DVDs available?

As the programs are produced for public broadcasting and commercial release is not the priority, rights obligations have made issuing the programs on CD or DVD a challenge. Not an insurmountable one, however: KLRU has recently partnered with New West Records to begin releasing selected episodes from the archives as the Live From Austin TX series. Information on the current catalog can be found here.
    Post edited by kramer73 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    kramer73 said:
    There is a statute of limitations as far as use of shows from ACL go.  I was just in Austin a couple of weeks ago, and took the tour of ACL.  I believe it is 8 years before the artist can use the show. 

Fun fact, bands that play ACL get paid something like $250.

Here's more info:
    http://acltv.com/faq/#faq9

Are artists paid to be on Austin City Limits or do they play for free because it’s PBS?

Every performer who appears on Austin City Limits receives scale wages as set by the American Federation of Musicians.

Are CDs or DVDs available?

As the programs are produced for public broadcasting and commercial release is not the priority, rights obligations have made issuing the programs on CD or DVD a challenge. Not an insurmountable one, however: KLRU has recently partnered with New West Records to begin releasing selected episodes from the archives as the Live From Austin TX series. Information on the current catalog can be found here.
    This would be a great one for them to choose to release!  Fans here would love it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Which show are you talking about, ACL fest or ACL the taped set at moody theater?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Which show are you talking about, ACL fest or ACL the taped set at moody theater?
    I didn't know there were both.  The show I'm referring to is the one that includes this amazing performance of "Red Mosquito" featuring Ben Harper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upq9-EtiJhQ

brianlux said:
    I didn't know there were both.  The show I'm referring to is the one that includes this amazing performance of "Red Mosquito" featuring Ben Harper:

Thats the ACL live at the moody theater taping.  Took place the night before they played ACL fest.  It’s commonly done because the acts are in town anyway for the festival.  Tickets are free, you win them by lottery and people can line up outside and any extras are given away if folks don’t show up for their tickets.  That venue has the best acoustics of any place I have ever been.

I have a bootlegged dvd of the show.  It’s the same sound as the tv special, it’s decent but of course nothing special. I’ve always wondered/looked for an actual official release of the taping among ACL’s releases, and 8 years would bring us to 2017, so that would be sweet!

brianlux said:

Thats the ACL live at the moody theater taping.  Took place the night before they played ACL fest.  It’s commonly done because the acts are in town anyway for the festival.  Tickets are free, you win them by lottery and people can line up outside and any extras are given away if folks don’t show up for their tickets.  That venue has the best acoustics of any place I have ever been.

I have a bootlegged dvd of the show.  It’s the same sound as the tv special, it’s decent but of course nothing special. I’ve always wondered/looked for an actual official release of the taping among ACL’s releases, and 8 years would bring us to 2017, so that would be sweet!

Cool, RoleModel, thanks for the info!  I've also got an OK boot of that show and I remember Ed saying that venue (which I didn't know it is called The Moody Theater) is like driving an old Buick.  Would love to have an hi-def DVD release to  bring something close to that Buick sound to my living room some day!

• JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    edited December 2017
    Just for accuracy sake, but that is NOT the Moody Theater, PJ never played this venue. That theatre is the current venue (since 2011) for
    the ACL TV show, but in 2009 it was still the KLRU Studio 6A.
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Just for accuracy sake, but that is NOT the Moody Theater, PJ never played this venue. That theatre is the current venue (since 2011) for
    #fakenews
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    #fakenews
    lol, I'm a picky motherfu**er, I know.
    Now you guys have me a bit confused.  Easy to do, don't take advantage.  :lol:

• kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    I want a DVD of this show too! So amazing!!
    brianlux said:
    Now you guys have me a bit confused.  Easy to do, don't take advantage.  :lol:

Damn your facts!!! 
    Good call though, you’re totally right.  Same situation just the original venue before it moved to Moody.

kaseylily said:
    I want a DVD of this show too! So amazing!!
    Here, here!  10C, please help make this DVD happen! It's SUCH a great show!