Work Holiday Parties

2»

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I don’t go o mine. I spend 40 hours a week with (mostly) a bunch of people I don’t like. I don’t need to see them any more than that. 

40 hours a week?  Sounds like part time to me.
    It's too much. :look_at_the_time:
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited December 2017
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    My company is having its party tonight.

I can't wait to not go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XU5iqrhwW0
    :lol: That's perfect! I need to watch that show at some point.

Today is awesome at the office, too. Everyone is working from home so that they don't have to be at their desk all day in their fancy party finery. 

I'm practically alone here, and it's wonderful!
    You and my husband would get along great.  His is today too (he has yet to attend in five or six years); he's of the "fuck them" view and is looking forward to 12:01 pm when everyone bolts and he can get some work done for a couple hours and hopefully cut out early.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited December 2017
    I skip mine because the dumb cow who heads the "holiday party committee" year after year refuses to hold it on a Friday. She insists that it be on a fucking work night. She has all kinds of excuses as to why that is, but a few years ago I found out the real reason: she personally doesn't feel like "giving up" a Friday or Saturday night for an office party. Unbelievably selfish and weirdly antisocial!

I guess it was 2 years back when some of us fought hard for it and won the argument for once, to this cow's great annoyance, so I went. The turn out was better than it had been in years, everyone had lots of fun since we could drink more and stay late, you know, like a real adult party. And what's that stupid witch doing? Pouting in the corner. And then she left early. Well, the next year she forced it right back to Thursday, and I haven't been to another one since. I have boycotted them for as long as they're on weeknights and therefore no fun at all. Those who do still show up are just tense, thinking about the kids getting to bed for school the next morning and getting work, making sure they don't drink, since they had to drive there to get home on time for early bed, etc. No thanks!
    And no, I have no clue why she is allowed to be in charge of this year after year even though the parties suck. I think it must simply be because management are being wusses. They don't want to hurt her feelings?? Pfft. Whatever.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    ^^^^It's probably one of those situations where she's done it so much that management doesn't care as long as it gets planned. Unless they complain about being on a weeknight too, which would make them wusses.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    OMG! It sounds like PJSoul works with Angela from The Office. :lol:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    I skip mine because the dumb cow who heads the "holiday party committee" year after year refuses to hold it on a Friday. She insists that it be on a fucking work night. She has all kinds of excuses as to why that is, but a few years ago I found out the real reason: she personally doesn't feel like "giving up" a Friday or Saturday night for an office party. Unbelievably selfish and weirdly antisocial!

I guess it was 2 years back when some of us fought hard for it and won the argument for once, to this cow's great annoyance, so I went. The turn out was better than it had been in years, everyone had lots of fun since we could drink more and stay late, you know, like a real adult party. And what's that stupid witch doing? Pouting in the corner. And then she left early. Well, the next year she forced it right back to Thursday, and I haven't been to another one since. I have boycotted them for as long as they're on weeknights and therefore no fun at all. Those who do still show up are just tense, thinking about the kids getting to bed for school the next morning and getting work, making sure they don't drink, since they had to drive there to get home on time for early bed, etc. No thanks!
    And no, I have no clue why she is allowed to be in charge of this year after year even though the parties suck. I think it must simply be because management are being wusses. They don't want to hurt her feelings?? Pfft. Whatever.
    My work parties for the last company I worked for were always on Thursday nights and we were all expected to be at work the next morning at 9am. What a joke.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I work for a small company with 7 employees including the two directors. The past few years we've just shut the office down a couple hours early on a random weekday, everyone brings an appetizer and we have a few drinks. We do this for birthdays as well and it's always a good time.  At our weekly meeting two weeks ago one of my directors suggested we change it up and have the party at her house on a Friday or Saturday night this year... you could hear crickets at our meeting. Everyone was like "ohhhh....hmmm". :look_at_the_time: We all get along and I truly enjoy my co-workers and the directors, but none of us really want to give up a Friday or Saturday night to spend even more time together... She ended the meeting with "okay, just think about it and let me know"....awkward. We still haven't decided when or where we are going to have our little party.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    LOL!!! My thoughts exactly 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    mfc2006 said:
    LOL!!! My thoughts exactly 
    :lol: I don't actually work with her thank goodness. Our Faculty is spread out between 3 campuses in the city and we aren't at the same one.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata