Options

Royal wedding

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Royal family is nothing more than leeches on society anymore ... how pathetic these people are ...
    This is how much the British monarchy costs the 4 biggest commonwealth countries (source is from 2016):

Canada

The grand total that we estimate (excluding the cost of hosting), is $50.5 million per year. That works out to $1.44 Canadian per capita. That could be down from the $1.85 the Monarchist League of Canada estimated in 2012, but we're assuming they added all of the one offs we get per year -- like the $7.5 million we pitched in for the Queen's Birthday Jubilee. Yeah, $7.5 million -- and you probably thought that free coffee Starbucks gives you is lavish.

New Zealand

In New Zealand, the monarchy estimates it costs NZ$4.3 million, or around a dollar a person in 2010. Our look at the same year turned up NZ$18.6 million, or NZ$3.32/person.

United Kingdom

The UK gets the pleasure of entertaining the Monarchy year round, so it's no surprise they pay a (metric?) buttload. There's this year's £150 million pound renovation for Buckingham Palace, the official residence. But that's owned by the people, so apparently we shouldn't factor that in. Outside of that, there's another £42.8 million budgeted in the latest accounts. This works out to roughly £0.80 per capita.

Australia

Australia seems to be under the impression that they don't pay anything -- outside of the cost of visits. Don't worry, Australia, we'll do the math for you! The Governor General's office ran up a tab of $17,669,000.

In addition to that, there's also the costs outlined in their 2013 financial report. There was a bill of $12,767,924 dollars in this report, but they paid for it with "revenue." Notes detail that revenue "is generated from the sale of replacement medals to recipients who earlier received awards under the Australian Honors and Awards system." I'm not fluent in Australian, but it sounds like they're billing the country for it.

We'll exclude the latter and say it costs A$0.79 per capita. However, if you're Australian and reading this, it's probably much higher. (US$0.76)

2016-09-23-1474648782-3104631-CostofMaintainingAMonarchyPerCapitapng

The costs per capita contributed from every person in Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Australia. We used US dollars as the currency because we needed a neutral currency to compare.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/stephen-punwasi/royal-family-cost_b_12155954.html

Wait, countries actually fund the Royal families?  Like pay a tithe or tax still to them?

Is this actually true?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Royal family is nothing more than leeches on society anymore ... how pathetic these people are ...
    This is how much the British monarchy costs the 4 biggest commonwealth countries (source is from 2016):

Canada

The grand total that we estimate (excluding the cost of hosting), is $50.5 million per year. That works out to $1.44 Canadian per capita. That could be down from the $1.85 the Monarchist League of Canada estimated in 2012, but we're assuming they added all of the one offs we get per year -- like the $7.5 million we pitched in for the Queen's Birthday Jubilee. Yeah, $7.5 million -- and you probably thought that free coffee Starbucks gives you is lavish.

New Zealand

In New Zealand, the monarchy estimates it costs NZ$4.3 million, or around a dollar a person in 2010. Our look at the same year turned up NZ$18.6 million, or NZ$3.32/person.

United Kingdom

The UK gets the pleasure of entertaining the Monarchy year round, so it's no surprise they pay a (metric?) buttload. There's this year's £150 million pound renovation for Buckingham Palace, the official residence. But that's owned by the people, so apparently we shouldn't factor that in. Outside of that, there's another £42.8 million budgeted in the latest accounts. This works out to roughly £0.80 per capita.

Australia

Australia seems to be under the impression that they don't pay anything -- outside of the cost of visits. Don't worry, Australia, we'll do the math for you! The Governor General's office ran up a tab of $17,669,000.

In addition to that, there's also the costs outlined in their 2013 financial report. There was a bill of $12,767,924 dollars in this report, but they paid for it with "revenue." Notes detail that revenue "is generated from the sale of replacement medals to recipients who earlier received awards under the Australian Honors and Awards system." I'm not fluent in Australian, but it sounds like they're billing the country for it.

We'll exclude the latter and say it costs A$0.79 per capita. However, if you're Australian and reading this, it's probably much higher. (US$0.76)

The costs per capita contributed from every person in Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Australia. We used US dollars as the currency because we needed a neutral currency to compare.

Wait, countries actually fund the Royal families?  Like pay a tithe or tax still to them?

Is this actually true?
    I'm as surprised as you that non UK countries give these leeches welfare payments ... fuck the royal family of England....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada

New Zealand

United Kingdom

Australia

Is this actually true?
    I'm as surprised as you that non UK countries give these leeches welfare payments ... fuck the royal family of England....
    They do a lot of charitable things.  I am just surprised that they would be using other people's money to do them and not have created wealth for themselves over the years.
  • Options
    Well this is interesting.  You learn something new everyday.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/where-does-the-royal-family-get-money-2017-1?r=UK&IR=T

The people pay for a bunch of it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada

New Zealand

United Kingdom

Australia

Is this actually true?
    They do a lot of charitable things.  I am just surprised that they would be using other people's money to do them and not have created wealth for themselves over the years.
    If I was born into a lavish lifestyle I did not deserve just because of  luck the least one can do is charity work ... it's not like they have jobs and responsibilities to bog the leeches down...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada

New Zealand

United Kingdom

Australia

I'm not sure what your point is?  Are you defending these leeches because its nominal when broken down per capita.  And why is Canada contributing any money to these leeches?  As far as I'm concern we should have cut ties with everything and anything UK along time ago...
    Um, no. Why did you assume that? Weird. I was just posting the information so that people could see how much is being spent on them, to show that they are indeed costing people a lot of money. I'm not pro-monarchy. HOWEVER... there are definitely benefits to being a member of the commonwealth, and I think some people forget to consider that part of the equation. I would love for Canada to cut ties with the Royal family, but without them, would there still be a commonwealth?? I don't know.... Do you?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    After watching The Crown I must say I am very intrigued by the Royal Family. I can't say that I am overly excited for the wedding but it is interesting.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    After watching The Crown I must say I am very intrigued by the Royal Family. I can't say that I am overly excited for the wedding but it is interesting.  
    That show is amazing!!! I love it!
    My dad is an immigrant from England, and I have been to the UK many times (I was even there in person for Charles and Diana's wedding - saw that stupid kiss from the balcony at Buckingham Palace in person, lol), so I definitely have a connection to the UK and the monarchy. I don't like the Queen having anything to do with Canadian governance at all... That doesn't mean the British monarchy's history isn't absolutely fascinating. It is probably some of the most interesting and crazy royal and governmental history in the entire history of the world. Learning about the history of the British monarchy is kind of a hobby of mine - good fucking lord, some of what all those kings and queens and princes and all their cousins and just random nobles of the court did was INSANE!! You know, back when they had actual real power. Now it pretty much just exists for the sake of tradition and continuity and kind of a British cultural distinction, as well as a way to bind the commonwealth together as far as I can tell (which is the only important part).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My dad is an immigrant from England, and I have been to the UK many times (I was even there in person for Charles and Diana's wedding - saw that stupid kiss from the balcony at Buckingham Palace in person, lol), so I definitely have a connection to the UK and the monarchy. I don't like the Queen having anything to do with Canadian governance at all... That doesn't mean the British monarchy's history isn't absolutely fascinating. It is probably some of the most interesting and crazy royal and governmental history in the entire history of the world. Learning about the history of the British monarchy is kind of a hobby of mine - good fucking lord, some of what all those kings and queens and princes and all their cousins and just random nobles of the court did was INSANE!! You know, back when they had actual real power. Now it pretty much just exists for the sake of tradition and continuity and kind of a British cultural distinction, as well as a way to bind the commonwealth together as far as I can tell (which is the only important part).
    I absolutely love the crown and need season 3 to drop yesterday! lol  How about the episode when King Edward pretty much made a deal with the Nazis?  I had no freaking clue!!!
    That's awesome that you were at Charles and Diana's wedding!  I'm guessing that was around 82/83?  So you were 5 or 6?

And I like the tradition part of it.  They have no real power any more but to me it is a window to the past which is pretty damn cool.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada

New Zealand

United Kingdom

Australia

I'm not sure what your point is?  Are you defending these leeches because its nominal when broken down per capita.  And why is Canada contributing any money to these leeches?  As far as I'm concern we should have cut ties with everything and anything UK along time ago...
    Um, no. Why did you assume that? Weird. I was just posting the information so that people could see how much is being spent on them, to show that they are indeed costing people a lot of money. I'm not pro-monarchy. HOWEVER... there are definitely benefits to being a member of the commonwealth, and I think some people forget to consider that part of the equation. I would love for Canada to cut ties with the Royal family, but without them, would there still be a commonwealth?? I don't know.... Do you?
    Sorry if you thought I assumed.  That why I asked in question form.  No offence intended.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I absolutely love the crown and need season 3 to drop yesterday! lol  How about the episode when King Edward pretty much made a deal with the Nazis?  I had no freaking clue!!!
    That's awesome that you were at Charles and Diana's wedding!  I'm guessing that was around 82/83?  So you were 5 or 6?

And I like the tradition part of it.  They have no real power any more but to me it is a window to the past which is pretty damn cool.  
    It was in the summer of '81, so I was 5 years old. I remember it very well. There were parties EVERYWHERE in every neighborhood around the country. After the wedding in London, we took the tube back to Barnett, where my dad's family home was, and I went to a costume party that one of the neighbors was putting on for the kids, and my parents and grandparents went and party hopped with the adults. It was a huge deal.
  • Options
    Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It was in the summer of '81, so I was 5 years old. I remember it very well. There were parties EVERYWHERE in every neighborhood around the country. After the wedding in London, we took the tube back to Barnett, where my dad's family home was, and I went to a costume party that one of the neighbors was putting on for the kids, and my parents and grandparents went and party hopped with the adults. It was a huge deal.
    It was a big deal, i was 4 and i remember it! Its different now, my kids are 7 and 9, they don't know who the Prince is and they're not interested. I'm not a royalist, but I wouldn't call them leeches, Harry seems a fairly decent guy, within the limitations of his upbringing. I'm mildly interested in the whole media fanfare but we're used to a permanent interest in them here in the UK. It's interesting to see other people's thoughts on it all. I work with amputees, Harry's massively raised the profile of injured veterans here and that can only be a positive here, he's pretty popular here, as royals go. 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, I don't call them "leeches" either - they do plenty of good for people as well. I am not pro-monarchy, but they don't cause great anger for me either.

Harry is popular here too, among those who give a shit... I'm positive it's because he's sexy as hell, lol. No other royals have been that smokin'. :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

It was a big deal, i was 4 and i remember it! Its different now, my kids are 7 and 9, they don't know who the Prince is and they're not interested. I'm not a royalist, but I wouldn't call them leeches, Harry seems a fairly decent guy, within the limitations of his upbringing. I'm mildly interested in the whole media fanfare but we're used to a permanent interest in them here in the UK. It's interesting to see other people's thoughts on it all. I work with amputees, Harry's massively raised the profile of injured veterans here and that can only be a positive here, he's pretty popular here, as royals go. 
    Wha do you call them then???  These leeches continually take tax dollars not only from UK residents but from other commonwealth countries?  Do they think it's their birth right to live in castles and leech off the productivity of others???  As Canadian it just makes me shake my head that we still have/want anything to do with the UK...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That is one amazing memory!  Does the monarchy have any real influence on anything in Canada?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That is one amazing memory!  Does the monarchy have any real influence on anything in Canada?
    Ya, I'm lucky to have a pretty solid memory of my childhood from the age of 4. :)
    No, the monarchy doesn't have any real influence on anything in Canada. It's really just symbolic shit (unless you consider our perceived "obligations" in terms of war, although that wouldn't be much different if we were simply allies with Britain like the US is, really, and that is because we're all NATO nations. Commonwealth countries are not militarily obligated to Britain, although I think Australia has some kind of deal with them that ties them more strongly together in that context). Certainly there are laws and government processes kind of tied to it, but even those are just symbolic. One thing that really kind of bugs me is that new citizens actually swear an oath to the fucking queen when they're sworn in. I've met some immigrants who were confused by that. It gave them the impression that the monarchy has a lot more influence that it really does. I think they should be swearing an oath to the Charter of Rights or something instead.
    But again, all of this connection means something when considering Canada's place in the commonwealth. I would very much NOT want to break away from it. If it takes all this stupid traditionalist symbolic bullshit to stay a member, then I'll put up with it, even if it does cost Canada $20 million a year or whatever it said. I consider it a membership fee.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Wha do you call them then???  These leeches continually take tax dollars not only from UK residents but from other commonwealth countries?  Do they think it's their birth right to live in castles and leech off the productivity of others???  As Canadian it just makes me shake my head that we still have/want anything to do with the UK...
    You don't seem to actually know much about it... Do you even have a clue about the economics surrounding the monarchy? You seem to be under the impression that they are fully funded by tax dollars or something.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,612
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ya, I'm lucky to have a pretty solid memory of my childhood from the age of 4. :)
    No, the monarchy doesn't have any real influence on anything in Canada. It's really just symbolic shit (unless you consider our perceived "obligations" in terms of war, although that wouldn't be much different if we were simply allies with Britain like the US is, really, and that is because we're all NATO nations. Commonwealth countries are not militarily obligated to Britain, although I think Australia has some kind of deal with them that ties them more strongly together in that context). Certainly there are laws and government processes kind of tied to it, but even those are just symbolic. One thing that really kind of bugs me is that new citizens actually swear an oath to the fucking queen when they're sworn in. I've met some immigrants who were confused by that. It gave them the impression that the monarchy has a lot more influence that it really does. I think they should be swearing an oath to the Charter of Rights or something instead.
    But again, all of this connection means something when considering Canada's place in the commonwealth. I would very much NOT want to break away from it. If it takes all this stupid traditionalist symbolic bullshit to stay a member, then I'll put up with it, even if it does cost Canada $20 million a year or whatever it said. I consider it a membership fee.
    Is there an immigration deal between the commonwealth countries? It seems like people go back and forth between living in Australia and the UK pretty easily. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Is there an immigration deal between the commonwealth countries? It seems like people go back and forth between living in Australia and the UK pretty easily. 
    This is from a Canadian immigration consulting firm:
    • There are some general immigration benefits for Commonwealth citizens looking to immigrate to fellow Commonwealth nations:
      • As a Commonwealth citizen, you may be entitled to visa-free entry into a fellow Commonwealth nation if the country you’re traveling from is deemed to be in good standing. 
      • In addition, some Commonwealth nations make the path to immigration, naturalization, and citizenship easier by allowing you to apply sooner after you’ve arrived than would be the case were you emigrating from a non-Commonwealth nation.
    • Being a Commonwealth citizen has its advantages when it comes to visiting non-Commonwealth nations as well:
      • If your nation does not have an embassy in a nation you’re traveling to, the British embassy or consulate in that nation will fill that void for you.
      • Commonwealth nations can also provide this sort of embassy-related assistance for one another—the Canada-Australia Consular Services Agreement ensures that if Canada is not represented in a nation, the Australian embassy or consulate will service Canadian nationals entering said nation, and vice versa, with the British embassy or consulate then providing assistance if neither Canada nor Australia have a presence in said nation.
    • If you’re a student, you’ll be eligible for the Commonwealth Scholarship.
    • Finally, as a Commonwealth citizen, you are allowed to serve in the British Armed Forces in most capacities if you so choose.

• Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    We sure get a lot of Australians working in BC. The ski resorts are overrun with them. I assume they have an easy path to a temporary work visa. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    We sure get a lot of Australians working in BC. The ski resorts are overrun with them. I assume they have an easy path to a temporary work visa. 
    Those were the caravans we were warned about 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    At least it's a classier version of celebrity worship than we have in the US, but only on the surface.
    Underneath it's just as pathetic and unhealthy for the people and the world.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    At least it's a classier version of celebrity worship than we have in the US, but only on the surface.
    Not really. At least the royal family does a shitload of really great charity work. I mean, that is a huge part of their job.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Not really. At least the royal family does a shitload of really great charity work. I mean, that is a huge part of their job.
    Big whoop.
    It's not impressive when American celebrities give a fraction of their time or money to charity, and it's not impressive when the Monarchy does it either.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Fuck paying taxes for them. Why should my money or anyone elses go to already wealthy royals?
    About time Australia became a Republic.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Fuck paying taxes for them. Why should my money or anyone elses go to already wealthy royals?

My question is why does Australia and Canada even need to be in the commonwealth and still associated with Britain?  And you are right it's about time Australia and Canada both became separate from the commonwealth.  We must pay the Royal Leeches...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

My question is why does Australia and Canada even need to be in the commonwealth and still associated with Britain?  And you are right it's about time Australia and Canada both became separate from the commonwealth.  We must pay the Royal Leeches...
    Too many old dinosaurs keeping us back. That's why.
    We had a referendum in 1999 and the monarchists won the vote.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

You had a vote?  I wish we had a similar vote...but in this case we need just get the UK out of ur lives...especially giving money to the Royal Leeches...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

You had a vote?  I wish we had a similar vote...but in this case we need just get the UK out of ur lives...especially giving money to the Royal Leeches...
    It's the old generation keeping us back.
    If another referendum is held in the near future I can see the Republic vote winning seeing people age and die.