Options

2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Charging foul taken away...
    Hill choking and missing the second free throw...
    Smith running out the clock...

There are a few other plays in the last 3 minutes that were disastrous...

Cavs are inventing new ways to lose with the help of the refs, good job...

I Hope the Cavs realize they can beat the Warriors.  They found weaknesses.

When the long ball starts falling for them and a rhythm gets going it'll be fun to watch.

Lebron's drive deep and dish was beautiful to watch.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,283
    Golden State in five
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    We may finally know the answer to the long mystery of "Who shot JR" if he's found dead in his hotel room this morning and there is a smoking gun under LeBron's pillow.
    Getting blazed at halftime was probably not the best idea.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Golden State in five
    I'll take that bet.

How much?
  • Options
    Golden State in five
    I'll take that bet.

How much?
    You think it'll be a s sweep, eh?
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Golden State in five
    I'll take that bet.

How much?
    You think it'll be a s sweep, eh?
    No  Cavs are going to do better than that.

This game can either be used as motivation or a woe as me.

Nobody will be pouting next game.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Poncier said:
    We may finally know the answer to the long mystery of "Who shot JR" if he's found dead in his hotel room this morning and there is a smoking gun under LeBron's pillow.
    Getting blazed at halftime was probably not the best idea.
    Haha!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    I didn't even know they could review and overturn an offensive foul call like that.  The NBA is getting ridiculous with the replay reviews.

And JR Smith...what the fuck.  Unbelievable.  It's hard to see the Cavs coming back after pissing away a game like this on the road.
  • Options
    Lue messed up last night too.  No TO called...
  • Options
    But he sure did a fine job displaying the befuddled look on his face that he's practiced so often.
    He probably thought they were ahead also.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    But he sure did a fine job displaying the befuddled look on his face that he's practiced so often.
    He probably thought they were ahead also.
    That's funny!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    edited June 2018
    What I don't get is the schedule for the games. Game 1 on a Thursday night and now the next game isn't until Sunday?! What the hell do they need 2 days off for? It's almost 3 weeks to play 7 games. That's just plain dumb.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    What I don't get is the schedule for the games. Game 1 on a Thursday night and now the next game isn't until Sunday?! What the hell do they need 2 days off for? It's almost 3 weeks to play 7 games. That's just plain dumb.
    This also doesn't help the lingering Colangelo debacle...
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 614

I know we are all about placing blame on the officials or J.R. but there were about 50 other minutes of great basketball that decided the outcome. At this point but I'd rather focus on some amazing things about Game 1.

- LeBron played as well as he possibly can, incredible performance, had nothing left in overtime but that's understandable.

- Thompson's left leg nearly snapped, comes back and plays great down the stretch. Although his mental lapse on defense and the foul of Hill could have decided the game.

- Great game by Curry, that driving 3 point layup was amazing. As was the 3 over Love with about 4 minutes to go.  

- Nice game from Kevin Love, I like how he faces up defenders now and uses the glass Tim Duncan style.

- Cleveland bench is atrocious, Clarkson shouldn't even be playing, they are better off using 50 year old Calderon.

- Warriors rimmed out a bunch of 3's they usually hit, unfortunate for Cavs because those probably fall in Game 2 and beyond.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I know we are all about placing blame on the officials or J.R. but there were about 50 other minutes of great basketball that decided the outcome. At this point but I'd rather focus on some amazing things about Game 1.

- LeBron played as well as he possibly can, incredible performance, had nothing left in overtime but that's understandable.

- Thompson's left leg nearly snapped, comes back and plays great down the stretch. Although his mental lapse on defense and the foul of Hill could have decided the game.

- Great game by Curry, that driving 3 point layup was amazing. As was the 3 over Love with about 4 minutes to go.  

- Nice game from Kevin Love, I like how he faces up defenders now and uses the glass Tim Duncan style.

- Cleveland bench is atrocious, Clarkson shouldn't even be playing, they are better off using 50 year old Calderon.

- Warriors rimmed out a bunch of 3's they usually hit, unfortunate for Cavs because those probably fall in Game 2 and beyond.

A buddy of mine at work had a good point.  If we're gonna blame JR Smith, what about the play at the buzzer before half where he goes for the steal leaving Curry wide open to hit a 38 footer to tie the game?  Just play defense and Curry has no shot to take.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

I agree with all points, except for the bench comment.  Korver will have some good games in this series.  Nance played great off the bench.  Clarkson was trying WAY too hard to get involved.  He never sees a shot he doesn't like.  But I think this is a maturity issue.  I have confidence he will get better as he settles into the series. 

I also think the Warriors are beatable.  They are not playing good defense and haven't yet in the playoffs.  You can get good shots and without Iggy, they have NO ONE that can handle Lebron.  Once he is in the paint, the only defense that exists is poking him in the eye. 

One other disagreement, the Cavs didn't hit their long range shots either, like the Warriors.  But I think the Cavs generally did a slightly better job with all the switching and at least feigning a contest.  The Hill switch on Durant is trouble though. Need a new plan there.  That's really hard to defend because without the switch, Curry gets an open look.  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,602
    Lebron is good
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 614
    mrussel1 said:

I agree with all points, except for the bench comment.  Korver will have some good games in this series.  Nance played great off the bench.  Clarkson was trying WAY too hard to get involved.  He never sees a shot he doesn't like.  But I think this is a maturity issue.  I have confidence he will get better as he settles into the series. 

I also think the Warriors are beatable.  They are not playing good defense and haven't yet in the playoffs.  You can get good shots and without Iggy, they have NO ONE that can handle Lebron.  Once he is in the paint, the only defense that exists is poking him in the eye. 

One other disagreement, the Cavs didn't hit their long range shots either, like the Warriors.  But I think the Cavs generally did a slightly better job with all the switching and at least feigning a contest.  The Hill switch on Durant is trouble though. Need a new plan there.  That's really hard to defend because without the switch, Curry gets an open look.  

The Warriors haven't been playing good defense in the playoffs? They just held an all time Houston offense under a 100 points for 5 consecutive games. They have the BEST defensive rating of any of the 16 playoff teams at 103.4 In OT they completely swarmed the Cavs who could barely get a decent look. They couldn't control LeBron last night because the guy is unstoppable and the one guy who could maybe slow him down a little wasn't playing.

We'll have to disagree about the CLE bench, Korver will be a non factor because the Warriors won't leave him to double LeBron and that's the ONLY way he can get open. Maybe it's a reckless strategy as LeBron might average 45ppg but it's what they've done 4 years running. Nance was a beast, I'll give you that but minus Jeff Green showing up and playing a lot better that bench is worthless. Clarkson will play better? He's averaging 4.9ppg in these playoffs on 30% shooting! That's 18 games now, hardly a small sample size. He might play better going forward because it's almost mathematically impossible to play much worse.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    I agree they played better in OT, but I don't think their interior defense is good at all.  Houston is one dimensional and with Paul out, they were able to turn the screws on them.  I understand how the numbers play out, but I simply don't believe they have played stronger inside out defense than either the Celtics or the Pacers.  It doesn't pass the eye test.  The Cavs had much better looks and a much easier time getting inside last night vs the two 7 game series that they played in the East.
    If the Warriors choose to play one on one with Lebron, to prevent Korver from getting a look, well I think that's okay with the Cavs.  Lebron's going to shoot 80% in that scenario and take a lot of foul shots.  So yeah, maybe Kyle doesn't get his points, but he served his purpose.  
    Regarding Clarkson, I understand his numbers are less than half of his regular season, but he's not playing at all.  Last night was particularly bad because he didn't let the game come to him.  He made one good play when he floated to the baseline and hit a jumper from a Lebron kick.  He needs to do more of that and I think he will.  George Hill actually had the worst defensive night, but he was stuck on Durant.  

• Options

That's the biggest point to me. Cavs needed that one last night and that game was ripe for the taking and they blew it. And losing like that is so deflating. They'd probably be better off getting blown out.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Great assessment from both of you.

When they did miss 3's the cavs did go back to pounding it inside.

Clarkson should not be driving baseline.  He looks confused under there...
  • Options
    Lebron is good
    Kerr: They have a guy who is playing basketball at a level that I'm not sure anybody's ever seen before, when you consider everything he's doing.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Lebron is good
    Kerr: They have a guy who is playing basketball at a level that I'm not sure anybody's ever seen before, when you consider everything he's doing.

meh
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Lebron is good

meh
    Hate much?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    God damn it, JR Smith!  You actually made me feel empathy for Lebron.
  • Options

I thought it was funny....almost the opposite of what Ben Simmons did at the end of game 3 vs Celtics
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I thought it was funny....almost the opposite of what Ben Simmons did at the end of game 3 vs Celtics
    Only Chris Weber can empathize... 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Timeouts<Knowing the score
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Timeouts<Knowing the score
    Knowing the score<The FINAL score
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,468
    hard for me to take a guy who can't grow a middle school mustache seriously.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16