2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:
    When do the Finals start?  Mid-June?  I figure the NBA probably need 2 weeks rest.  Those boys gotta be tired leisurely jogging back and forth 90 feet.

See you at the Stanley Cup! Where real men play a tough sport.
    Is the Stanley Cup finals being televised this year?0
    Yes in fact Game 1 was on one of the major networks while the NBA was on a rinky dink cable channel.  Game 1 was also far more entertaining to watch than game 7 of Houston-Golden State.  and you know how much I love basketball Juggler but watching a team miss 27 straight 3s is not entertaining.  27 straight.  im old and fat and could go out on an nba court and make 1 out of 27.  
    Yet with the fact that the NHL was on a major network and the NBA was on rinky dink TNT, the overnight ratings for the Rockets/Warriors was a 10.3 and the overnight for Caps/Vegas was a whopping 3.72.

So the NBA drew nearly triple the viewers when on rinky dink cable and the NHL on major network TV.

So this is why they are opting for American Ninja Warrior tonight
    Because Trump nation will watch American Ninja Warriors more than hockey and the local affiliates hate having hockey lead into local news because of the possibility of overtime.  

why wasn't the NBA on ABC?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    American Ninja Warrior, Ultimate Warrior, Golden State Warriors, Patty Smyth's "The Warrior"... doesn't matter, hockey is still better.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    tbergs said:
    Hockey is terrible to watch on TV, but awesome in person. I couldn't stand hockey until I went to a game. Even when NBC tried that whole highlight/colored puck thing, still dull.

NBA is the exact opposite. Way better on TV than at the game, unless your courtside.

Basketball isn't bad in person at all. Football might be a better example of something that is more opposite.

chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:
    When do the Finals start?  Mid-June?  I figure the NBA probably need 2 weeks rest.  Those boys gotta be tired leisurely jogging back and forth 90 feet.

Yes in fact Game 1 was on one of the major networks while the NBA was on a rinky dink cable channel.  Game 1 was also far more entertaining to watch than game 7 of Houston-Golden State.  and you know how much I love basketball Juggler but watching a team miss 27 straight 3s is not entertaining.  27 straight.  im old and fat and could go out on an nba court and make 1 out of 27.  
    Yet with the fact that the NHL was on a major network and the NBA was on rinky dink TNT, the overnight ratings for the Rockets/Warriors was a 10.3 and the overnight for Caps/Vegas was a whopping 3.72.

So the NBA drew nearly triple the viewers when on rinky dink cable and the NHL on major network TV.

Because Trump nation will watch American Ninja Warriors more than hockey and the local affiliates hate having hockey lead into local news because of the possibility of overtime.  

Trump Nation? This just started last year? Yeah, I don't know man. Wasn't hockey on some nature channel a few years ago.

All NBA Finals games are on ABC. TNT isn't really rinky dinky either. The Final Four was on TNT and drew way more than what the Stanley Cup Finals draws.

Doesn't matter who is president, hockey has always been an after thought compared to the top 3 sports in this country.

chinese-happy.jpg
    tbergs said:
    Hockey is terrible to watch on TV, but awesome in person. I couldn't stand hockey until I went to a game. Even when NBC tried that whole highlight/colored puck thing, still dull.

NBA is the exact opposite. Way better on TV than at the game, unless your courtside.

Basketball isn't bad in person at all. Football might be a better example of something that is more opposite.

Football (the NFL at least) is terrible both in person and on tv.  Talk about inactivity.  College is at least exciting unless you're watching one of those SEC Battle-of-the-Field-Goals 9-6 games.
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

Trump Nation? This just started last year? Yeah, I don't know man. Wasn't hockey on some nature channel a few years ago.

All NBA Finals games are on ABC. TNT isn't really rinky dinky either. The Final Four was on TNT and drew way more than what the Stanley Cup Finals draws.

Doesn't matter who is president, hockey has always been an after thought compared to the top 3 sports in this country.

Never said it wasn't.  you asked the original question about hockey being on tv and i answered that it was on a major network.  not my fault you didn't realize that.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    my bad it was on NBC. Goes back to NBC from game 4
    I miss igotid88
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    The 3pt shootout for snapchat bragging rights begins tomorrow? lol
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

edited May 2018
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

Never said it wasn't.  you asked the original question about hockey being on tv and i answered that it was on a major network.  not my fault you didn't realize that.

But tonight it's on the same channel we get local Phillies coverage, is that right? It just seems weird to me.

yeah, talk about rinky dink....

chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

But tonight it's on the same channel we get local Phillies coverage, is that right? It just seems weird to me.

nope, wrong again.  this NBC sports national sports channel which has weekly NHL games on.  It's the NBC equivalent of FS1.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

nope, wrong again.  this NBC sports national sports channel which has weekly NHL games on.  It's the NBC equivalent of FS1.

Seems like a channel that should be broadcasting A10 games or something instead of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Talk about rinky dink...jeez.

chinese-happy.jpg
    NBA Playoff games on TruTV... talk about rinky dink.  Isn't that a channel where they show court cases and shit?  Maybe next year they can upgrade to Cartoon Network.
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

I'll take a quality 3.72 over a shit 10.3 any day.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:

I'll take a quality 3.72 over a shit 10.3 any day.
    If the hockey game sucked, it would have drawn a 1.69 and if the basketball game was good it would have drawn a 16.9.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    NBA Playoff games on TruTV... talk about rinky dink.  Isn't that a channel where they show court cases and shit?  Maybe next year they can upgrade to Cartoon Network.

NBA playoffs not on TruTV ( don't early round NHL games air on CNBC, and used to air on MSNBC?)
    Some NCAA tourney games air on TruTV.
    Poncier said:

NBA playoffs not on TruTV ( don't early round NHL games air on CNBC, and used to air on MSNBC?)
    Oh yeah, you're right... I'm thinking of the tourney.

Open mouth, insert foot, Dyer!
    You're thinking of college basketball not the NBA...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Poncier said:

there are a lot of games
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I am 90% sure that at least part of an NHL playoff game was on the Golf Channel over the past couple weeks.
    I am 90% sure that at least part of an NHL playoff game was on the Golf Channel over the past couple weeks.
    Your right. Apparently there was a scheduling conflict with CNBC and USA
    chinese-happy.jpg
    The farmers' report on pork bellies was due, so CNBC dumped game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals off to Golf Channel while doing analysis of how bacon (as in a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich) prices would be affected.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Was expecting that.
    Poncier said:
    The farmers' report on pork bellies was due, so CNBC dumped game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals off to Golf Channel while doing analysis of how bacon (as in a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich) prices would be affected.
    I was going to say, I am very confident in saying that Shark Tank reruns probably get better numbers than the hockey games.
    You guys can have fun watching the same boring ass snoozefest called the NBA Finals year after year on whatever channel you so desire.  I'll watch the fast-paced, hard-hitting excitement of the Stanley Cup!  The most coveted & desired trophy in all of sports, save for maybe an Olympic Gold Medal.

And after it's all said and done, no matter what happens in either series, and no matter what channel they're broadcasted on, and no matter how many viewers either gets, Jordan will still be the greatest basketball player of all-time! =)
    Can a trophy that only hockey fans care about really be considered the most coveted in all of sports?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Though shall not covet Lord Stanley's cup!
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Poncier said:
    I was going to say, I am very confident in saying that Shark Tank reruns probably get better numbers than the hockey games.
    Game 1 Stanley Cup got more viewers (5.2 million) than a regular Sunday Night new Shark Tank has gotten this past year (average 4.1 million).  Maybe regular season games get less.  And I would have thought game 7 GS-Houston would have gotten more than 3x what the NHL got.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/05/stanley-cup-final-ratings-game-1-nbc/

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/shark-tank-season-nine-ratings/
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Nobody is talking about Colangelo?

WTF?!?