Options

If you go to a concert in Australia, DO NOT DANCE!

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    I feel for the lady...it's not very fair when you go to a concert. 
  • Options
    It's not a concert if you can't dance.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    It's not a concert if you can't dance.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Remind me to never see a concert in Australia... That's just f****** stupid
  • Options
    I wonder if she was drunk and flailing rather than dancing?  I've seen a few of those in my times at concerts, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited November 2017
    This is fucking weird. The article doesn't say why nobody is allowed to dance. Wtf is that about? And aren't the artists totally pissed off about this?? I don't understand this at all. It may be the dumbest rule I've ever heard of. 
    That said... why is the woman surprised that she got kicked out after repeatedly ignoring security's demands? That's kind of what happens when security tells you to stop doing something three times and you keep on doing it anyway. The result is not surprising in the least, and the woman is an idiot if she expected a different result. And yes, I'd love to see video of her dancing so I can see just how disruptive and annoying she was or wasn't. That is the only way we get the real story here.
    At the end of the day, I think everyone needs to just go with the flow. If you're at a show where everyone is sitting down, don't be that one asshole who stands up and dances for the entire show, blocking everyone's view. And if everyone is standing up and rocking out, don't be the asshole who asks the people in front of you to sit down so you can see. Read the room and go with it. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Australia is turning into a Nanny state. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Was her name Elaine Benes??
  • Options
    Was her name Elaine Benes??
    hahaha!
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is fucking weird. The article doesn't say why nobody is allowed to dance. Wtf is that about? And aren't the artists totally pissed off about this?? I don't understand this at all. It may be the dumbest rule I've ever heard of. 
    That said... why is the woman surprised that she got kicked out after repeatedly ignoring security's demands? That's kind of what happens when security tells you to stop doing something three times and you keep on doing it anyway. The result is not surprising in the least, and the woman is an idiot if she expected a different result. And yes, I'd love to see video of her dancing so I can see just how disruptive and annoying she was or wasn't. That is the only way we get the real story here.
    At the end of the day, I think everyone needs to just go with the flow. If you're at a show where everyone is sitting down, don't be that one asshole who stands up and dances for the entire show, blocking everyone's view. And if everyone is standing up and rocking out, don't be the asshole who asks the people in front of you to sit down so you can see. Read the room and go with it. 
    I don't have any sympathy for her. Security told her to sit down three times because she was "leaving her allocated seat and causing disruption to other patrons". She ignored them and carried on anyway so of course they kicked her out.

I would have been pissed off if I was sat behind her. If you stand in front of someone who is sitting down, you totally block their view. It's not about not being able to dance, it's about not being a dick at a show.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Why do people go to concerts if they just want to sit and be still. Stay home and watch a DVD concert instead.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    As an Australian I find our audiences pretty lame. I’ve never attended a concert outside Australia but you only have to view you tube to see Aussie audiences are boring for the most part! We can’t all be Sth American but cmon Aussies lift your game! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Why do people go to concerts if they just want to sit and be still. Stay home and watch a DVD concert instead.
    It depends on the concert. Some shows are better enjoyed when you sit down, stay quiet, and just absorb it. Others are better enjoyed when you rock the fuck out to it. This all relies on genre/tone of the artist of course.
    ... I am a rocker-outer when it's appropriate. I do know plenty of people, though, who simply do not feel it that way at all. I am not really sure why they don't, but they have told me that they actually feel awkward being demonstrative at concerts. I've even had some people tell me that they don't go to rock concerts because of the pressure they feel to go against their instincts and try to rock out when they just are not at all feeling the urge to. One of my closest friends is like this... it's like she feels like she's a lame person when she goes to a show with me because I rock out and am really feeling it, and she's just standing or sitting there feeling like she should be feeling/doing the same when she doesn't want to. And she claims to have no idea what to do with her hands and arms, lol. That means that she truly does not feel the music in that way. If she did, she wouldn't be overthinking how she's moving her arms, hahaha. It would just come naturally and she wouldn't care (for me, it does suck to attend a show with someone like that too; I like to attend with someone who's energized - we just aren't a good match as concert buddies, obviously).

I kind of feel like this all boils down to inborn disposition combined with the individuals emotional connection to music. It also seems to me that a lot of people lose that kind of energy with age. I don't understand why, but it sure does seem common. I mean, it's basically what we as kids were all afraid would happen to us when we grew up, and what we swore we wouldn't be like when we got "old". It seems like a lot of us failed on that promise, lol. I am thankful that I never fell prey to that part of aging ... I don't think it's really anyone's fault they aren't compelled to rock out and that they don't have the mental or physical energy to. I do kind of feel like they are missing out because the music doesn't seem to stir that much emotion in them, but I have to assume that they are still enjoying it on their own level. They wouldn't spend money on the tickets otherwise...... I do MUCH prefer rock concerts that are packed with a lot of rockers though. There is just so much more energy in the room and the band feeds off of that, the crowd feeds off of that some more - it's symbiotic.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It depends on the concert. Some shows are better enjoyed when you sit down, stay quiet, and just absorb it. Others are better enjoyed when you rock the fuck out to it. This all relies on genre/tone of the artist of course.
    ... I am a rocker-outer when it's appropriate. I do know plenty of people, though, who simply do not feel it that way at all. I am not really sure why they don't, but they have told me that they actually feel awkward being demonstrative at concerts. I've even had some people tell me that they don't go to rock concerts because of the pressure they feel to go against their instincts and try to rock out when they just are not at all feeling the urge to. One of my closest friends is like this... it's like she feels like she's a lame person when she goes to a show with me because I rock out and am really feeling it, and she's just standing or sitting there feeling like she should be feeling/doing the same when she doesn't want to. And she claims to have no idea what to do with her hands and arms, lol. That means that she truly does not feel the music in that way. If she did, she wouldn't be overthinking how she's moving her arms, hahaha. It would just come naturally and she wouldn't care (for me, it does suck to attend a show with someone like that too; I like to attend with someone who's energized - we just aren't a good match as concert buddies, obviously).

I kind of feel like this all boils down to inborn disposition combined with the individuals emotional connection to music. It also seems to me that a lot of people lose that kind of energy with age. I don't understand why, but it sure does seem common. I mean, it's basically what we as kids were all afraid would happen to us when we grew up, and what we swore we wouldn't be like when we got "old". It seems like a lot of us failed on that promise, lol. I am thankful that I never fell prey to that part of aging ... I don't think it's really anyone's fault they aren't compelled to rock out and that they don't have the mental or physical energy to. I do kind of feel like they are missing out because the music doesn't seem to stir that much emotion in them, but I have to assume that they are still enjoying it on their own level. They wouldn't spend money on the tickets otherwise...... I do MUCH prefer rock concerts that are packed with a lot of rockers though. There is just so much more energy in the room and the band feeds off of that, the crowd feeds off of that some more - it's symbiotic.
    Yeah I get that not all shows you can move around. 
    I've gone to many shows, PJ included, where people around me up the front near the barriers are still as fuck but I just want to jump around, I feel awkward being the only person doing it but do it anyways, but I am self conscious as fuck.
    I went to a Soundgarden show and my best friend and his partner wanted to stand where their seats were and watch, I wanted to go crazy so I ran to the floor area up the front and went crazy with everyone else. I felt bad leaving my friend and his partner but they understood I just needed to let that energy out. The best shows for me have always been the one where me and the people around me are all going crazy.
    PJ in Melbourne 2009 was great because everyone was moving around. But other PJ shows here have been lame with the crowd just standing still and recording on their phone.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I've gone to many shows, PJ included, where people around me up the front near the barriers are still as fuck but I just want to jump around, I feel awkward being the only person doing it but do it anyways, but I am self conscious as fuck.
    I went to a Soundgarden show and my best friend and his partner wanted to stand where their seats were and watch, I wanted to go crazy so I ran to the floor area up the front and went crazy with everyone else. I felt bad leaving my friend and his partner but they understood I just needed to let that energy out. The best shows for me have always been the one where me and the people around me are all going crazy.
    PJ in Melbourne 2009 was great because everyone was moving around. But other PJ shows here have been lame with the crowd just standing still and recording on their phone.

Yes, it is a downer when the show clearly calls for some exuberance and everyone is just standing there like a forest. Again, I blame it on people just getting blaaaahhhhh when they're older. It's too bad.
    My favorite shows are always the ones with people going crazy too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, it is a downer when the show clearly calls for some exuberance and everyone is just standing there like a forest. Again, I blame it on people just getting blaaaahhhhh when they're older. It's too bad.
    My favorite shows are always the ones with people going crazy too.
    One of my favourite shows was not a huge stadium show but at a small iconic beachside venue here called "The Esplanade Hotel" to see Aussie punk rock legends the Cosmic Psychos a few years ago. No phones, just people going nuts in a tight space. Felt better than any PJ show except Melbourne '09.
  • Options
    I'd like to hear the point of view from security or another concert goer.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Here you go..
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/stevie-nicks-concert-dancing-incident-highlights-etiquette-conundrum-20171122-gzqrdm.html

One concertgoer, Denise Gibbs, said Ms George's behaviour "put a damper on the night". 

"She was sitting directly behind me and I had her in my ear," she said. "She was disruptive and rude. I felt very sorry for the security guards, they tried very hard to be calm."

Ms Gibbs said she was "furious" because she was a massive Stevie Nicks fan and had paid $500 to sit in her plum row.

"I wish they'd gotten rid of her earlier," she said. "We put up with her for a long time. The girl I was sitting next to, a 24-year-old, was horrified."

When The Age put these claims to Ms George, the Kew resident said she may have annoyed a few people but that was no reason to be dragged away from a seat someone had given her. 

"There were a few people I know who were irritated by me dancing, but I definitely had access to a seat by a man whose wife had left," she said. "Otherwise, I would have gone back to where I was [originally] sitting. I was probably shouting, 'I love you Stevie!'"

Ms George said she did start swearing, but only when the security guards touched her.

"I'm not apologising for swearing," the 57-year-old said. "I don't think that justifies me, a woman, being dragged down the aisle. I'm not a 17-year-old rebel." 

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited November 2017

goldrush said:
    Here you go..
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/stevie-nicks-concert-dancing-incident-highlights-etiquette-conundrum-20171122-gzqrdm.html

One concertgoer, Denise Gibbs, said Ms George's behaviour "put a damper on the night". 

"She was sitting directly behind me and I had her in my ear," she said. "She was disruptive and rude. I felt very sorry for the security guards, they tried very hard to be calm."

Ms Gibbs said she was "furious" because she was a massive Stevie Nicks fan and had paid $500 to sit in her plum row.

"I wish they'd gotten rid of her earlier," she said. "We put up with her for a long time. The girl I was sitting next to, a 24-year-old, was horrified."

When The Age put these claims to Ms George, the Kew resident said she may have annoyed a few people but that was no reason to be dragged away from a seat someone had given her. 

"There were a few people I know who were irritated by me dancing, but I definitely had access to a seat by a man whose wife had left," she said. "Otherwise, I would have gone back to where I was [originally] sitting. I was probably shouting, 'I love you Stevie!'"

Ms George said she did start swearing, but only when the security guards touched her.

"I'm not apologising for swearing," the 57-year-old said. "I don't think that justifies me, a woman, being dragged down the aisle. I'm not a 17-year-old rebel." 

Yeah, the lady is a moron obviously. One of those centre of the universe people I guess. I'm now glad she got kicked out, lol.
    Anyway... that is kind of besides the point at the end of the day. It sounds like no dancing wasn't just audience choice there. Sounds like it's specifically not allowed or discouraged. And that is still fucked up. This woman may have just been kicked out for being disruptive, which I think is fair... but what if a bunch of people want to dance and nobody is being disrupted? Would security still try to stop it??
  • Options
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    I only wan't to attend shows that are held in pubs these days fuck the security idiots and rules for concerts ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I feel pretty free to behave the way I want to at concerts in my neck of the woods. I mean, of course illegal activity doesn't fly if security happens to spot it, but besides that, I haven't noticed that anyone's right to have a good time is seriously hampered. The closest thing I guess is that a lot of places have a no crowd surfing rule, for the safety of others. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    Not sure of the full story and its context, but a guy was kicked out during the Paul McCartney show this past week here in Melbourne! Made the news, he looked shattered! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Not sure of the full story and its context, but a guy was kicked out during the Paul McCartney show this past week here in Melbourne! Made the news, he looked shattered! 
    I was meant to post about that but forgot.
  • Options
    What was he kicked out for?
  • Options
  • Options
    "Victoria Police have since confirmed that the punter was arrested and escorted out of the venue, however they say it was due to his intoxicated behaviour, not because he was dancing in the aisles."

That makes more sense to me than an innocent dude just being arrested for dancing, lol. I'm going to go ahead and believe the cops this time. ;)

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    "Victoria Police have since confirmed that the punter was arrested and escorted out of the venue, however they say it was due to his intoxicated behaviour, not because he was dancing in the aisles."

That makes more sense to me than an innocent dude just being arrested for dancing, lol. I'm going to go ahead and believe the cops this time. ;)

The guy was on the evening news in tears because he missed out on the concert.