Which web browser do you use on your PC and why?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
Firefox recently added a feature I REALLY hate to their web browser which led me to looking for a different one to use.  I have Chrome on my PC but don't like to use it because it likes to remember more of my data than I want it to and it's said to be the heaviest on resource use.  I downloaded Opera which is OK except that instead of a drop-down "favorites" it uses an entire separate page.  Also, Opera doesn't allow me to grab images as easily as I can with Firefox.

So which PC web browser (browser, not search engine) do you use most and why do you like it?

Thanks!  
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    I also use Firefox, and I like it the most out of all the options, by far. They did just do an update, but I've had no real issues with it. What is it about the update that you hate Brian? Perhaps it's just a setting issue or something.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    PJ_Soul said:
    I also use Firefox, and I like it the most out of all the options, by far. They did just do an update, but I've had no real issues with it. What is it about the update that you hate Brian? Perhaps it's just a setting issue or something.
    This will sound stupid but, when Firefox is searching for a site to load, instead of the spiraling icon in the upper left corner, it gives two dots that move rapidly back and forth.  I get vertigo and migraines from certain visual movements and though that hasn't happened with this feature, it could and I can't risk that happening. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Well, you could always revert back to the previous version. Just google how. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually did just that and what I read says basically that using an earlier version of Firefox leaves the computer more vulnerable to being unsafe.  For now I'll use Opera until I hear of a better choice.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2017
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually did just that and what I read says basically that using an earlier version of Firefox leaves the computer more vulnerable to being unsafe.  For now I'll use Opera until I hear of a better choice.
    I use Firefox, but Opera has a built in VPN feature you can turn on in case you want to go looking at some shady shit online!  Never really used chrome or Microsoft whatever.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Chrome and Explorer.  It's a work laptop and some things only use Explorer.  Everything else is Chrome.
    edited November 2017
    If I did find myself to be unhappy with Firefox for some reason, I would definitely choose Chrome as an alternative.
    That built-in VPN on Opera is somewhat intriguing, but I never use a VPN on my PC or laptop anyhow. Only on my smartphone because of public wi-fi and shit. LMAO re the "looking at some shady shit online" consideration though. :lol:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Chrome & Firefox.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I use Firefox, but Opera has a built in VPN feature you can turn on in case you want to go looking at some shady shit online!  Never really used chrome or Microsoft whatever.
    I looked up "What is a VPN feature" and got a vague idea of what that is/ how it works.  Not sure I have the patience to figure out how to work it though! 

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I forgot to answer why. I like them both better than Safari.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    On my work computer I use Firefox. On my home computer I mainly use Safari as it’s built-in on the Mac, but sometimes use Firefox for certain things, like printing shipping labels, which for whatever reason just doesn’t seem to work on Safari.

I’m curious, what was the recently added Firefox feature that you don’t like. I know mine updated at work a few days ago but I haven’t noticed anything different.
    On my work computer I use Firefox. On my home computer I mainly use Safari as it’s built-in on the Mac, but sometimes use Firefox for certain things, like printing shipping labels, which for whatever reason just doesn’t seem to work on Safari.

I’m curious, what was the recently added Firefox feature that you don’t like. I know mine updated at work a few days ago but I haven’t noticed anything different.
    What I don't like is that instead of the small circle in the upper left corner that turns while searching for a site (which takes my computer a bit longer than many other folks experience because where we live we can only get something like 1.3 DSL, faster than dial-up but still kind of slow)... instead of that circle there is now a pair of dots that move back and forth and because I'm prone to visually induced dizziness and vertigo, those movements are problematic for me.  Not something most people would have trouble with but definitely a nuisance for me.

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited November 2017
    I use Chrome. I'm a web app developer (focusing on phone/tablet users) and have to target multiple browsers. With Chrome and Safari both originally based on the WebKit engine (Chrome uses their own forked version now), I've found that if it runs in Chrome there generally aren't any issues for our iOS users on Safari. That checks off iOS and Android users. If we start putting stuff like the Surface tablets in our users' hands, we'll be able to control the browser they use and will have Chrome installed for them. Chrome is a bit of a resource big, but I'm fortunate in that all of the computers I use can handle it without problems.
    I use Chrome. I'm a web app developer (focusing on phone/tablet users) and have to target multiple browsers. With Chrome and Safari both originally based on the WebKit engine (Chrome uses their own forked version now), I've found that if it runs in Chrome there generally aren't any issues for our iOS users on Safari. That checks off iOS and Android users. If we start putting stuff like the Surface tablets in our users' hands, we'll be able to control the browser they use and will have Chrome installed for them. Chrome is a bit of a resource big, but I'm fortunate in that all of the computers I use can handle it without problems.
    Thanks for good info, Marky.  I have an older Toshiba so not sure it will handle Chrome well plus I'm wary of it's propensity to remember too much of my info.

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    brianlux said:
    Thanks for good info, Marky.  I have an older Toshiba so not sure it will handle Chrome well plus I'm wary of it's propensity to remember too much of my info.
    No problem. I suppose I should care more about Google tracking my info and online habits. Really though, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm much more concerned with the more nefarious hackers and data breaches occurring.
    brianlux said:
    No problem. I suppose I should care more about Google tracking my info and online habits. Really though, it doesn't bother me too much. I'm much more concerned with the more nefarious hackers and data breaches occurring.
    Yeah, for sure!