Options

Avocado re mix whats your opinion?

13»

Comments

• Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 132
    I always felt the original mix was flat, harsh and muddy. I really like the new mix, sounds more alive with a much cleaner sound and in my opinion much better separation. Parachutes and Come Back sound amazing, the new mix gives life to the songs the original mix did not have.  I also feel you can finally hear Matt's drumkit. But I agree with everyone else, Severed Hand really benefited from the original mix. I think the harshness and muddiness gave it a heavy dimension that is somewhat lost in the new mix.     
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This is a cool forum and this is an informative thread about the vinyl reissues.

http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-pearl-jam-reissues-complete-studio-vinyl-box-coming.695630/

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    Nikto said:
    I always felt the original mix was flat, harsh and muddy. I really like the new mix, sounds more alive with a much cleaner sound and in my opinion much better separation. Parachutes and Come Back sound amazing, the new mix gives life to the songs the original mix did not have.  I also feel you can finally hear Matt's drumkit. But I agree with everyone else, Severed Hand really benefited from the original mix. I think the harshness and muddiness gave it a heavy dimension that is somewhat lost in the new mix.     
    I’m looking forward to getting this.  I love the album with the first mix so I’m going to love it this way as well, especially with the comments about come back, which is one of my favorites.  Too bad about severed hand, it seems a consistent negative point of the new mix discussion, but you win some you lose some.

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    I noticed a few subtle differences, like at the beginning of Life Wasted, there is not a second layer of feedback in the right here. To me, that gives a less polished feel and stripped down feel – which I prefer.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited November 2017
    Despite what others have always said, I've never had any problem with how the original sounds. I think it sounds good. I am looking forward to hearing the remix though... That version isn't on Spotify. Anyone know where I can listen to it online? I have no plans to buy the reissue in any form.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Its on my spotify. Its called something like 2017 version. I love the original just fine also.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Its on my spotify. Its called something like 2017 version. I love the original just fine also.
    Oh - thank you! I looked for it on the artist page and it wasn't listed there, but your info made me do an album search, and there is it. Sweet. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Let me know what you hear. I found inside job. Come back and severed hand different in a bad way so far
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I've compared the two song for song on Spotify. Overall, the remix sounds sharper and cleaner, especially when it comes to Mike's guitar and Eddie's voice. I guess I think the results are probably subjective depending on the listener. Those who have complained that the original is a loudness war casualty might think the remix highlights that more. Those who don't have an issue with that (like me) might like the remix more, because it's not more harsh IMO, just more clean and clear. I think Matt's drums sound better, especially in Marker. I would say that the remix is superior. However, I do agree with bluesuedeitzrad about Life Wasted, and with everyone about Severed Hand, and I too think that the bass could be highlighted more than it is. But besides that, yeah, the remix is slightly better. Is it worth buying the vinyl reissue?.... Well, maybe. How's the vinyl sound specifically, compared to digital?

EDIT: I guess I wasn't listening very well to Inside Job before. I'm listening to the re-mixed version of that again right now, and it's pretty bad IMO. There is a really harsh quality to it that is a bit like biting tin foil. That's not cool. I take it back, the original is better. It has to be if anything on the remix makes me feel that way.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    donravendonraven Posts: 138
    Found it on Apple Music, listening on my iPad Pro which has really nice speakers and I think it sounds great except for Inside Job. The original sounds way better in my view, I feel like the remix of inside job is missing a lot of what made it great - totally agree with PJ_Soul. The other songs are good and Matt’s drums sound more full and less muted. 
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • Options
    ac281090ac281090 new jersey Posts: 36
    this is my favorite record. the remix does not have the same feeling as the original. i prefer the original.
  • Options
    I have enjoyed listening to the hi-res version of the 2017 mix all week and I haven't played this album back-to-back since its release week.
    Having said that my ears are way too dumb to tell if this version is better or not, and I am just liking the PJ tunes (:
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,865
    edited November 2017
    yeah digging the HD versions of all the albums tonight  Separation is wayyyy better on these than I ever recall on a CD rip-  I could just be senile too

Indifference in HD is making the hair on my neck stand up
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Just listened to the vinyl front to back. Forgot how much I love this album. 
  • Options
    fafane45fafane45 Posts: 90
    I love the new remix.
    All the songs i didn't like on that album do sound better now like Marker in the sand unemplyable parachutes big wave
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    fafane45 said:
    I love the new remix.
    All the songs i didn't like on that album do sound better now like Marker in the sand unemplyable parachutes big wave
    Going to throw that one on the table this afternoon! 
    www.cluthelee.com