Options

Avocado re mix whats your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    MedozK said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrk2 said:
    Other sites are reporting it’s super hot and hard on the ears.  Definitely looking forward to folks’ opinions on here, since it’s the only one of the 3 I haven’t cancelled yet based on crappy sound reviews. 
    I agree. Had to turn it off after two songs. 
    You turned it off after two songs?!  I thought the sound was amazing!
    Thats kinda what I have been reading. Some love it, some hate it.

Your never going to make everyone happy. PJ has never released anything near audiophile, so I think people need to start coming to the realization (myself included) that great sound will probably never happen from their discography. Sounds great through earbuds though...lol
     I agree completely.  I've stopped expecting audiophile sound from them.  I think the mix is a tad hot but it sounds better than the original.  I put it in an EQ analyzer and it's pretty much at the max both high and low throughout they heavy songs.  But hey, at least they aren't compressed.  I ended up turning the gain down pretty good and that mellowed it out nicely.  
    I also looked at it in spec and it's at the 96khz level so at least it isn't a ripoff.  
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,439
    mwplum said:
    Im listening on headphones. To see what i can hear. What can you hear different?
    There's a Mitch Hedberg joke in here somewhere. 
    I have no idea who he is?
    He was a comedian. He had a joke about "hearing music". Check him out on YouTube. 

Thread integrity: my copy of Avocado came from Amazon today! On a Sunday, no less. 
    He was a great comedian. Definitely worth checking out.

"I went to a doctor, all he did was suck blood from my neck. Don't go see Dr. Acula."

"An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs"
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    I must be honest i didn't even smile reading that.
    There maybe a vast gap between English humour and American!
    Give him a try, it’s all in his delivery.  Rip Mitch!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Ok i will youtube him.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I agree with the crash cymbols being loud. And some guitars being lost
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    I'm halfway through the new mix. I like what he's done with Parachutes as that always sounded thin to me but it feels like all the life has been sucked out of Severed Hand which is a shame.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    rw160510 said:
    I'm halfway through the new mix. I like what he's done with Parachutes as that always sounded thin to me but it feels like all the life has been sucked out of Severed Hand which is a shame.
    Severed Hand is now a lean mean machine. Just too much going on guitar-wise in the original mix.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I still like original severed hand better.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Just my opinion. I think it sounds much better all around. I may never listen to the original mix again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    lastexitlondon said:And some guitars being lost

Couldn’t disagree more. I’m surprised how much detail they pulled out, while having everything compressed to shit. 
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    Ok, I've gone through the whole lp now. I think on the whole the mix is much better for the mid tempo and slower tracks on the album. Gone, marker and army reserve all benefit from this mix in my opinion as they sound more complete and nuanced although the drums in marker are too big for me. I really liked Parachutes which surprised me as I have never been much of a fan. The heavier tracks are not serviced as well and still sound somewhat cluttered.  I have an original press so did a side by side with Severed Hand to check my earlier post and I really don't like what he has done with it, sounds sluggish and flat but then that's just my opinion. I guess this album is destined to never sound all that great even though it has some very good songs on it.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

Couldn’t disagree more. I’m surprised how much detail they pulled out, while having everything compressed to shit. 
    Interesting... I wouldn't call it "compressed" at all.  I looked at it in Audacity and in Spec and the EQ does not show as compressed and the hz range actually goes to 192khz.  
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Interesting... I wouldn't call it "compressed" at all.  I looked at it in Audacity and in Spec and the EQ does not show as compressed and the hz range actually goes to 192khz.  
    Yea, but I think there is considerable clipping. And I feel that is what is giving it the overall harshness. just my opinion.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Yea, but I think there is considerable clipping. And I feel that is what is giving it the overall harshness. just my opinion.
    Are you talking about the record or the FLAC?  My record hasn't arrived and I've only listened to the 192 flac.  I haven't heard clipping in it.  
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:

Are you talking about the record or the FLAC?  My record hasn't arrived and I've only listened to the 192 flac.  I haven't heard clipping in it.  
    The flac. Might just be my ears, but I can hear it.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    I agree with the crash cymbols being loud. And some guitars being lost
    Yes!! The symbols are loud. I thought something was off cause I don't remember it being so loud on the original release. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Compression alone doesn’t create clipping. With Avocado it puts all the instruments at one volume, sucking all the space and separation out and pretty much destroying the soundstage. Despite that congestion, the detail present is nice.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I think all of these reissues are screwed.  BOB was the culprit- creating digital masters instead of keeping the Analog masters.  I.E. The Eddie quote about getting some bad advice early on.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Compression alone doesn’t create clipping. With Avocado it puts all the instruments at one volume, sucking all the space and separation out and pretty much destroying the soundstage. Despite that congestion, the detail present is nice.
    I can agree with that.  I was thinking about compression in terms of bit rate, eliminating the highs and lows of the music in general.  When I reviewed the eq in audacity, my first thought was "dammit, brickwalled".  It wasn't as bad as I feared, but yes the instruments do seem to be mixed at the same volume.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I think all of these reissues are screwed.  BOB was the culprit- creating digital masters instead of keeping the Analog masters.  I.E. The Eddie quote about getting some bad advice early on.
    Crazy
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Suzyntheq said:
    I used to listen to avocado. I still do,but I used to too.
    THIS.

Also, once a guy showed me a picture of an avocado, and said "this is my avocado when it was younger."
    EVERY picture of your avocado is when it was younger! Let me see a picture of your avocado when it was older...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    Assuming they had Analog masters?  It was in the early 2000's that I think recording to tape was phases out.   Maybe Avacado was recorded on digital?

I'm also not sure I blame BoB. His albums mixed in the 90s sound pretty good.   Starting in the late 90s it seems more to do about the final mastering and cranking all the tracks up to 10, than it does the format it was recorded on, or how it was originally mixed.
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,818
    Just finished listening to my vinyl last night. I'll have to revisit my original soon, but I did notice plenty of changes. Some I liked, some not so much.

Overall, I think it is an improvement, but it's a little choppy to me. The original was loud and muddy, but consistently loud and muddy. The remix does best with the midtempo and softer songs, as someone said previously. WWS, Severed Hand, couple others still are loud and tough to listen to. Army Reserve is an improvement, Marker is kinda as well. The bass is more upfront, but the guitars are more detailed in my opinion. I can hear parts I do not remember from the original. 

Also, is the guitar part in the intro to Inside Job completely different, or was that just bad memory on my part?
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,997
    pjpitt89 said:
    Just finished listening to my vinyl last night. I'll have to revisit my original soon, but I did notice plenty of changes. Some I liked, some not so much.

Overall, I think it is an improvement, but it's a little choppy to me. The original was loud and muddy, but consistently loud and muddy. The remix does best with the midtempo and softer songs, as someone said previously. WWS, Severed Hand, couple others still are loud and tough to listen to. Army Reserve is an improvement, Marker is kinda as well. The bass is more upfront, but the guitars are more detailed in my opinion. I can hear parts I do not remember from the original. 

Also, is the guitar part in the intro to Inside Job completely different, or was that just bad memory on my part?
    For inside job sounds like the same guitar part but dialed way back. In the original mix the guitar was front and center. I do find that the solo around 4:45 almost sounds like its in a different key. Either way, I'm liking the new mix overall.
  • Options
    Inside job sounded wrong to me. Choppy
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    How does Riot Act sound compared to the original?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Similar to me
     I guess its been re mastered only
     But i don't hear as much bass somehow. Which i dislike
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    BK5403BK5403 Posts: 50
    I have my beefs with BoB too, but just curious ... where did you get this info? PJs recording info is SCARCE. As is the provenance of their vinyl. Was it cut from digital files (if so, 16/44, 24/96, etc) or from master tapes? Can you link to anything about whether or not they recorded to tape or digital and for which albums? 
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • Options
    I've only listened to the ST remix via Spotify but I'm really enjoying it so far and think BO'B has done a great job - there's a lot more depth and presence throughout and the drums have definitely been raised in the mix, I'm hearing cymbal accents, tom hits, etc that I never noticed before.
    There are also some interesting guitar and vocal parts that are new/raised to the front (e.g. Ed's held note at the very end of WWS) but in some places I'm also noticing a sudden absence of guitar parts that were quite prominent in the previous mix, which in some cases seems an odd decision (Severed Hand springs to mind).

Overall though I think it's breathed new life into the album and given it an edge/depth that was lacking before - I'll probably listen to this mix over the  original from now on.
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    This is a cool forum and this is an informative thread about the vinyl reissues.

http://www.forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/new-pearl-jam-reissues-complete-studio-vinyl-box-coming.695630/