A safe place for anxiety sufferers to share.

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Thank you. I don't drink coffee or soda. I have episodes of alcohol. Stopped for a while. Im on antidepressants AGAIN and i take about 2 valium a week if that. I do believe there are many levels of this illness and if you find your answer early enough you can get well. But if you don't find your own way after years you can't come back.
    You can get your anxiety under control ... just don’t give up, try to always use positive self talk.  I always try to say something positive every morning when I wake...

Do you excercise.  Excessive releases endorphins.  Something as simple as a morning walk makes you fell less stressed.

Animals are great for helping with anxiety.

Hang in there, keep trying...

Dont rely on your socialized medicine to do much to help your mental state.  Seek private counselling if need be.

Find a counsellor or psychotherapist near you

https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk/

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I have had anxiety/depression for a while, but just recently diagnosed.  I will get into my story in another post.  I hope people posting here with anxiety are in counselling...medicine on it's own will not help out completely.  Actually I've come across many people with depression who only treat it with counselling.
    A couple of years ago I was seeing a psychologist every week without medication.
    Now I am on medications I have not yet seen my psychologist.
    Can't afford a psychologist right now.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Thank you. I don't drink coffee or soda. I have episodes of alcohol. Stopped for a while. Im on antidepressants AGAIN and i take about 2 valium a week if that. I do believe there are many levels of this illness and if you find your answer early enough you can get well. But if you don't find your own way after years you can't come back.
    Some people go through many drugs at many doses before finding the one that works and through many psychologists before they find one that works for them. This can take time. Don't lose hope.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Well i just saw a different dr and they put my mind at ease a bit. Well worth the visit
    Glad to hear :)
    Have you ever tried painting? When I paint my mind is totally occupied on the what I am doing.
    Art is very therapeutic. There are art therapists that work with people.
    I have had anxiety/depression for a while, but just recently diagnosed.  I will get into my story in another post.  I hope people posting here with anxiety are in counselling...medicine on it's own will not help out completely.  Actually I've come across many people with depression who only treat it with counselling.
    A couple of years ago I was seeing a psychologist every week without medication.

You can get your anxiety under control ... just don’t give up, try to always use positive self talk.  I always try to say something positive every morning when I wake...

Do you excercise.  Excessive releases endorphins.  Something as simple as a morning walk makes you fell less stressed.

Dont rely on your socialized medicine to do much to help your mental state.  Seek private counselling if need be.

I see a master level social worker...$50/hour

Many communities have walk-in mental health clinics.

Most councillors have discounted rates for various reasons.

Many churches offer free councilling and some even have support groups.

The helps out there, just ask...believe me, people are more than willing to guide you to the resources.

its up to you to make the call, go to the clinic and ask for the help.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  •  Im in line for more help now after yesterday's visit. I need to find inner strength at this point. Its the next morning here now. Im up with my 6 month old baby 5am so im taking stock and trying to tell my brain to just slow down and stop the thought of fear. I will visit my brother and my nieces with my children and try and relax and enjoy company. Thats my plan today after a trip to the laundrette. Slow but sure. I have the same symptoms but I guess they won't go over night or even days weeks. But its a start
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
     Im in line for more help now after yesterday's visit. I need to find inner strength at this point. Its the next morning here now. Im up with my 6 month old baby 5am so im taking stock and trying to tell my brain to just slow down and stop the thought of fear. I will visit my brother and my nieces with my children and try and relax and enjoy company. Thats my plan today after a trip to the laundrette. Slow but sure. I have the same symptoms but I guess they won't go over night or even days weeks. But its a start
    Day by day...try to do just a few things if you can. It's a journey and I wish you all the best. Stay positive and try to be patient with yourself. 
  • That is the key. Kindness and patience most of all for me its belief and trust. Just for the short term. Longterm its gonna be acceptance thats my big goal
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

I see a master level social worker...$50/hour

Many communities have walk-in mental health clinics.

Most councillors have discounted rates for various reasons.

Many churches offer free councilling and some even have support groups.

The helps out there, just ask...believe me, people are more than willing to guide you to the resources.

its up to you to make the call, go to the clinic and ask for the help.
    Yeah I know. Thanks anyways. Psychology sessions are something you need regularly which I cannot afford. Even $50 per week or twice a week. I am in not bad shape right now anyways. At my worse I needed it.
    There are graduate psychology students finishing their masters training you can see too for very low cost to nothing I believe.
    I avoid churches like the plague.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    That is the key. Kindness and patience most of all for me its belief and trust. Just for the short term. Longterm its gonna be acceptance thats my big goal
    please note that acceptance doesnt equal approval. Just an acknowledgement of what is, whether its good , bad or indifferent.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • True i meant in context of illness and death
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I was hospitalised for 5 weeks due to my dual diagnosis of anxiety and addiction in 2011. I'm almost 7 years clean now. Life gets easier people. <3
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
     Im in line for more help now after yesterday's visit. I need to find inner strength at this point. Its the next morning here now. Im up with my 6 month old baby 5am so im taking stock and trying to tell my brain to just slow down and stop the thought of fear. I will visit my brother and my nieces with my children and try and relax and enjoy company. Thats my plan today after a trip to the laundrette. Slow but sure. I have the same symptoms but I guess they won't go over night or even days weeks. But its a start
    You’ll find the strength.  Remember, 1 day at a time.  Live in the moment if you can.  Try not to think past the current day.  Believe me, you will find the help you need, and when you do, you’ll really enjoy life again, stay positive.

6-7 months ago I was in a very dark place...now I look forward to each day...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I was very bad about 3 years ago and things got better thanks to medication. But I am still hoping for further happiness which seems like will never happen.

I was very bad about 3 years ago and things got better thanks to medication. But I am still hoping for further happiness which seems like will never happen.

Happiness will come.  For many years I never thought I’d be happy.  Now, I am the happiest I’ve ever been...I really regret not seeking help sooner, I wasted a lot of years...now I’m looking forward to the future.

i think you’ll find happiness, because you sound like you want happiness.  If you ever go to speak with someone again, let them know your not happy, they can work you through it.

If you can, find something meaningful that will add to your self worth.  For me, I spend a lot of time helping my widower father...he still lives in own home, wants to stay in his home .... so I’m helping him do that, every time I help him out it makes me feel good, another deposit into the self worth bank.

Try a new hobby.  I took up pen turning, I haven’t turned anything 35 years.  Photography is another hobby I enjoy...

you will get their, stay positive...if an old stubborn guy like myself can seek help, you can to.

just stay positive...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Happiness will come.  For many years I never thought I’d be happy.  Now, I am the happiest I’ve ever been...I really regret not seeking help sooner, I wasted a lot of years...now I’m looking forward to the future.

i think you’ll find happiness, because you sound like you want happiness.  If you ever go to speak with someone again, let them know your not happy, they can work you through it.

If you can, find something meaningful that will add to your self worth.  For me, I spend a lot of time helping my widower father...he still lives in own home, wants to stay in his home .... so I’m helping him do that, every time I help him out it makes me feel good, another deposit into the self worth bank.

Try a new hobby.  I took up pen turning, I haven’t turned anything 35 years.  Photography is another hobby I enjoy...

you will get their, stay positive...if an old stubborn guy like myself can seek help, you can to.

just stay positive...
    Thank you :)
    Chasing happiness is bad they say as it actually makes you feel worse.
    My unhappiness is due to not being sure who I am and what I want to do with life or what I am doing.

I am a full time student and have been doing well in my studies to become a psychologist but lately I've been wondering these past 2 weeks if the ever growing student loan debt is worth it and the 5 more years to become a clinical psychologist. I am 34 soon and still living with my parents and have never had a girlfriend. They are the main things making me unhappy. Plus failed friendships and having hardly any friends. It is not possible to work full time and study full time. I feel like I'll never move out of home and get a job. I just feel useless and a failure.
    Also, I'd love to just be an artist but need an income, it's like sacrificing what you love to pay the mortgage and keep your family happy but it's tearing me up. I told everyone after changing career paths so many times in the last 5 years that psychology is it, it is a 100% what I want to do. If I quit now people will shake their heads. I've worked so hard and gotten top marks these past 2 years. I feel like I can't even fix myself, how can I fix others. Hearing people's problems every day might wear me down. Plus many people cannot connect with their psychologist, I feel like I'll be a shit one that people will not come back to. And then there is my growing interest in art.

I have actually taken up painting last year but due to university I had to stop. Resumed this summer and it's great to keep me occupied instead of moping about. I've spent the entire summer break in the garage painting and it keeps my mind on something. But there have been moments where I got angry and started asking myself "why do I suck at everything I do" when my painting was not turning out. My canvas tore yesterday, a week of painting destroyed, I was struggling with it and was getting very frustrated. I was down about it but feel better now as I took it as a learning experience. Learning to paint is a long road. I've gotten help and support from other artists online.
  • I was hospitalised for 5 weeks due to my dual diagnosis of anxiety and addiction in 2011. I'm almost 7 years clean now. Life gets easier people. <3
    If you put the necessary effort in, right.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I was hospitalised for 5 weeks due to my dual diagnosis of anxiety and addiction in 2011. I'm almost 7 years clean now. Life gets easier people. <3
    Good show, Conor! 

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I do believe for those of us who deal with severe anxiety and/or depression, if we can hold out and keep living, life does get better because we have more time to learn good coping methods, especially, as SmallestOceans said, we put out the necessary effort. 

Also very helpful is to have some good people in you're life who care and have good empathy.  It's one of the reasons I'm here.  So many good souls here!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I don't think i will ever understand symptoms
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375

just stay positive...
    My unhappiness is due to not being sure who I am and what I want to do with life or what I am doing.

I am a full time student and have been doing well in my studies to become a psychologist but lately I've been wondering these past 2 weeks if the ever growing student loan debt is worth it and the 5 more years to become a clinical psychologist. I am 34 soon and still living with my parents and have never had a girlfriend. They are the main things making me unhappy. Plus failed friendships and having hardly any friends. It is not possible to work full time and study full time. I feel like I'll never move out of home and get a job. I just feel useless and a failure.
    Also, I'd love to just be an artist but need an income, it's like sacrificing what you love to pay the mortgage and keep your family happy but it's tearing me up. I told everyone after changing career paths so many times in the last 5 years that psychology is it, it is a 100% what I want to do. If I quit now people will shake their heads. I've worked so hard and gotten top marks these past 2 years. I feel like I can't even fix myself, how can I fix others. Hearing people's problems every day might wear me down. Plus many people cannot connect with their psychologist, I feel like I'll be a shit one that people will not come back to. And then there is my growing interest in art.

I have actually taken up painting last year but due to university I had to stop. Resumed this summer and it's great to keep me occupied instead of moping about. I've spent the entire summer break in the garage painting and it keeps my mind on something. But there have been moments where I got angry and started asking myself "why do I suck at everything I do" when my painting was not turning out. My canvas tore yesterday, a week of painting destroyed, I was struggling with it and was getting very frustrated. I was down about it but feel better now as I took it as a learning experience. Learning to paint is a long road. I've gotten help and support from other artists online.
    Don't let others prevent you from doing what works for you---you are the one who will have to live your chosen path and nothing is worse than doing a job you can't stand. Are there art therapy psych fields you might be able to pursue? Or special education art class teachers? Maybe you can combine your love of art with your psych studies.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    I don't think i will ever understand symptoms
    fools errand trying to, isnt it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • It does feel that way yes. I hope for wisdom 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• My very nature is to try and fix or mend . Im having a hard time letting go and trusting in what i don't necessarily believe. I mean like having the peace of mind or freedom to enjoy the day regardless of symptoms/confusion or memory.  Constantly wanting to fix it or challenge it to be back to how i was when i could think normally
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

just stay positive...

Thoughts...relationships are hard, people are needy...I suck at relationships myself...probably why my marriage is struggling.  You are an intelligent person. If becoming a psychologist is your goal, go for it...I think psychology needs more people like you...you seem compassionate.  Keep up your studies if you enjoy, the mental health community needs more people like you.  Stay positive. And take care of yourself.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited February 2018
    I think you can be great at psychology because you have real life experiences that is important in order to understand. But i get that you feel you may absorb the persons problem. You work hard thats another great attribute
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Stay positive...have a great night.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    camsjam said:

just stay positive...

Don't let others prevent you from doing what works for you---you are the one who will have to live your chosen path and nothing is worse than doing a job you can't stand. Are there art therapy psych fields you might be able to pursue? Or special education art class teachers? Maybe you can combine your love of art with your psych studies.
    My family just don't get me.
    Noone can empathise. 
    They'd think I am insane if I dropped out and pursued a career because art is childish to them. Only little kids draw and colour in.
    I thought about art therapy, not really keen on it to be honest. I spoke to a girl studying to become one and it's a pain in the ass to become one. Have to do all these courses. I was studying to become a high school teacher but transferred to psychology last year. I found that teaching wasn't for me as I struggled in my practicum. I am considering early childhood/developmental psychology, helping children. Would be less burdensome on me I feel. I want to do the art thing only for making art I can exhibit and sell. I would like to teach art to others though. Learn how to paint, become good then offer art classes like many artists do.

just stay positive...

Thoughts...relationships are hard, people are needy...I suck at relationships myself...probably why my marriage is struggling.  You are an intelligent person. If becoming a psychologist is your goal, go for it...I think psychology needs more people like you...you seem compassionate.  Keep up your studies if you enjoy, the mental health community needs more people like you.  Stay positive. And take care of yourself.
    With me it's been "friends" not being friends. Selfish users or those that just want my company for their own amusement. 
    I made two friends last year at university but they turned out to be taking the piss out of me and I was blind to see it for a while.
    I ditched others and they ditched me.
    I don't think I am intelligent, but thank you.
    I did enjoy my studies in psychology. That is why I am thinking what the fuck has happened these past 2 weeks. I think it is that voice and desire to paint growing stronger. The past 2 years I have thrown away my desire to pursue music for university. I consciously made the choice to give up any of my artistic desires for a stable, well paying job (teaching then psychology) so I can pay my mortgage and move out of home.
    Thank you for your kind words.
    I think you can be great at psychology because you have real life experiences that is important in order to understand. But i get that you feel you may absorb the persons problem. You work hard thats another great attribute
    I just feel I am not a good communicator.