Options

Terrorism Attack Lower Manhattan 8 Dead still developing

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    mcgruff10 said:
    Its still to early to call this guy a terrorist he inflicted terror yes but he could be totally deranged too ...
    The incident is being investigated as terrorism, officials said. Witnesses reported the suspect was yelling "Allahu Akbar," according to four law enforcement sources. The FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is taking over the lead of the investigation.

"This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said, "aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them."

President Donald Trump tweeted that the incident "looks like another attack by a very sick and deranged person." In a later tweet, he wrote, "My thoughts, condolences and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack. God and your country are with you!"

Authorities think it is an act of terror because the driver said something moments after leaving the truck and the method of the attack were consistent with other terrorist attacks, New York Police Commissioner James P. O'Neill said. Vehicles have been used as weapons in a number of terrorist attacks in recent years, including in deadly incidents in Nice, France, and London.

I'm just saying it could of turn out this idiot has no affiliation to any organized terror group ...could be a lone actor 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    My guess is that if you asked any of the people who were there if they were terrorized they'd say yes.
  • Options
    My guess is that if you asked any of the people who were there if they were terrorized they'd say yes.

It was a terrorist act. Obviously.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877

"Allah Akbar!"
    "This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said, "aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them."
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Truck attack = terrorism

Attack with a gun = gun violence, mass shooting, not terrorism.

Check.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Has Hillary Clinton demanded mufflers be banned because the people getting run over wouldn't hear the truck?
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Truck attack = terrorism

Check.
    I'm not sure how you're coming to this conclusion?
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Truck attack = terrorism

Check.
    so all mass shootings are terrorism?  are you trying to say that what happened in new york today was not an example of terrorism?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"
    And if he yelled God hates sinners, Jesus saves, would that be evidence of terrorism? My point is not just to debate a definition, but if the Patriot act gets applied, then Constitutional rights get waived. It also guides the dialogue and intervention based in how we define it.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"
    And if he yelled God hates sinners, Jesus saves, would that be evidence of terrorism? My point is not just to debate a definition, but if the Patriot act gets applied, then Constitutional rights get waived. It also guides the dialogue and intervention based in how we define it.  
    but he didn't yell any of those things so why play the "what if" game?  facts are facts.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"
    Are you concerned about the constitutional rights of the guy shouting, "Allah Akbar" being waived... or in the broader sense? What would you be most concerned with regarding any dialogue and intervention that might arise defining this act as a terrorism?

What are you trying to protect? 
  • Options

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-york-shots-fired/index.html

Authorities found a note, written in English, claiming the suspect in Tuesday's attack in New York did it in the name of ISIS, a senior law enforcement official told CNN. 

The note was found in the truck police said was used in the attack, the source said.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"
    Are you concerned about the constitutional rights of the guy shouting, "Allah Akbar" being waived... or in the broader sense? What would you be most concerned with regarding any dialogue and intervention that might arise defining this act as a terrorism?

I’m protective of Constitutional rights and I’m also not a fan of prejudice where Muslims are labelled a terrorist immediately and Christians are labelled nut jobs acting alone immediately. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

I’m protective of Constitutional rights and I’m also not a fan of prejudice where Muslims are labelled a terrorist immediately and Christians are labelled nut jobs acting alone immediately. 

Authorities found a note, written in English, claiming the suspect in Tuesday's attack in New York did it in the name of ISIS, a senior law enforcement official told CNN. 

The note was found in the truck police said was used in the attack, the source said. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

That’s info that I hadn’t read in what I saw. So we’re back to defining what terrorism is, influence by a group or networked into the group somehow? I guess we’ll find out more. And since he’s still alive, we might get more info on his mental state. Lolks like they’re still saying he’s a lone wolf. 
  • Options
    This kind of attack is ridiculously hard to see coming.
    In Europe these have made me think twice about where i go with my kids and being out in the open at events . 
    Me and my partner were at the Christmas markets in berlin last year the week before the terror attack. To come home and watch on tv the place you were just in smashed by a truck and people dead was mind blowing.
    Everyone says don't let them win but it has definitely changed how i go about. 
    I chose to drive into central london to take my daughter to a hospital appointment at great ormand street because i was scared to go on yhe underground and i know thats what "they" want but it has worked with me at least. 
    Terror is real and i really am thinking of those poor families that have lost their loved ones to a coward fanatical maniac so very sad again with this world...
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

That’s info that I hadn’t read in what I saw. So we’re back to defining what terrorism is, influence by a group or networked into the group somehow? I guess we’ll find out more. And since he’s still alive, we might get more info on his mental state. Lolks like they’re still saying he’s a lone wolf. 
    The definition of terrorism- "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

This act checks all those boxes so, driving a truck into civilians in the name of ISIS= terrorism.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Truck attack = terrorism

Check.
    People are quick to blame a device and not the perp, unless of course their is no agenda with the device.

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2017
    unsung said:
    unsung said:
    Truck attack = terrorism

Check.
    People are quick to blame a device and not the perp, unless of course their is no agenda with the device.

I think you are confused.

Nobody blames guns for the stream of mass murders your country routinely exhibits. Lamenting the lack of responsibility and application of common sense... people bemoan their availability.

I mean... c'mon... you have a device designed for the sole purpose of killing many things in little time. Every mass murder where one is used... it has worked perfectly. Comparing that to the device designed for transportation, but used to kill people is a reach at best.

The gun nuts know they have been thundered in the great gun debate. This is why these types of silly comments appear (there is nothing else they can use to justify their position).

Sheesh.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

The definition of terrorism- "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

This act checks all those boxes so, driving a truck into civilians in the name of ISIS= terrorism.
    I know that’s the Patriot Act definition, but is it a good one? And I noticed that in today’s Wapo article, no one quoted used the term terrorism Wednesday a.m. but instead referred to isis influence. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

I know that’s the Patriot Act definition, but is it a good one? And I noticed that in today’s Wapo article, no one quoted used the term terrorism Wednesday a.m. but instead referred to isis influence. 

I just don't see how this is even up for debate or question?

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    This is terrible, not only bec of loss of life but it further divides the country. The current environment and state of affairs is ripe for this kind of taking. Wildly divided nation, Trump Russia delusion, right-wing and left-wing narratives, distracted (ineffective) intel agencies, money money money all make for a opportune time for these attacks.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Leave it to Trump to find a way to blame the Dems for this attack. He couldn't pin it on Hillary, but he found someone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-new-york-terrorist-attack_us_59f90649e4b00c6145e26e19

The terrorist came into our country through what is called the "Diversity Visa Lottery Program," a Chuck Schumer beauty. I want merit based.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Leave it to Trump to find a way to blame the Dems for this attack. He couldn't pin it on Hillary, but he found someone.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-new-york-terrorist-attack_us_59f90649e4b00c6145e26e19

The terrorist came into our country through what is called the "Diversity Visa Lottery Program," a Chuck Schumer beauty. I want merit based.

I am not shocked. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

Because the definition is too vague and overreaching. As a result, unconstitutional provisions of the Patriot Act can be applied. No due process, illegal surveillance, illegal search, etc.  

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
      said:

Chuck is firing back: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/358188-schumer-knocks-trump-over-terror-attack-where-is-your-leadership
    As well as Cuomo: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/358193-cuomo-on-trump-tweets-this-is-not-the-time-to-foment-hate
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"Allah Akbar!"

Because the definition is too vague and overreaching. As a result, unconstitutional provisions of the Patriot Act can be applied. No due process, illegal surveillance, illegal search, etc.  

This is still pretty cut and dry.  Witnesses in broad daylight watched this man mow down people and kill them.  Not sure how much surveillance we can put on the guy now?

Also not seeing how the Patriot Act can even come to play in this now?

Thirdly, Trump is an idiot.. Cheap shot by him at Schumer...
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

tRump's motto: the buck stops....somewhere, anywhere else but here
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The guy is boasting from his hospital bed how pleased he is with his actions.  I say fit him up in some concrete boots and take him fishing on the Hudson.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    The guy is boasting from his hospital bed how pleased he is with his actions.  I say fit him up in some concrete boots and take him fishing on the Hudson.
    Just prior to that... for two weeks... how about every day a bare knuckle boxing match with Mike Tyson?

He's a rodent.
This discussion has been closed.