Need some advice regarding a friendship that's gone sour

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited October 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
So I met two people at university this year who are a couple.
When I went into one of my friend's work a few weeks ago for a coffee (she's a barrista/waitress at this cafe) she said to me that she broke up with her boyfriend, I was naturally shocked and said 'oh what, that sucks, sorry to hear' and then she said just kidding. I was thinking 'wtf, that's a weird joke' but I brushed it off and moved on. The other week she sent a Facebook message from her boyfriend's phone pretending to be him saying that they broke up. Once again I was shocked, I was asking her boyfriend if he's okay and was about to ask if he was on campus  to see if he wanted to catch up with me for a chat. He then apologised on messenger saying she stole his phone from him and typed that. I replied with a roll eyes emoji and said 'don't get the joke'. A few days passed and she messaged me with an emoji, I replied 'hey' and she replied with another emoji. I guess she knew I was upset. The emoji's were two beer glasses toasting and one was a cat's paw (friendly hellos I guess). I didn't reply to the second message. A week or so passed and I didn't go to her work for a coffee like I have been every Saturday these past 2-3 months. I thought I'd better address the issue so I sent her a 'hey, what's happening?' message today. She replied saying busy with university and work and asked 'you?'. I said I was busy with study and then sent a message to say why I was pissed off and that I felt like an idiot, to which she replied that her and her boyfriend nearly broke up. I replied to that saying what goes on between them is not my business and that in future I don't want such pranks. I also mentioned that I only got involved once after she asked me for advice as their relationship wasn't going well, she put me on the spot and I gave advice without taking sides.
She replied with 'ok whatever' which has now left me feeling let down and confused. 
I replied with I am said to see she said whatever and that I was being polite with what I said.
She replied with 'I was joking!!!, get over it' with a laughing emoji.
Did I screw up here? 
Am I overreacting?
Or is it all her?
Should I let it go and move on and continue the friendship?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Feeling down as I don't have many friends and have been let down/hurt/taken advantage of by friends in the past so I am an very cautious with new people and rarely let anyone into my life as I've been disappointed much more than not. I open myself up to making new friends and this is what happens. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I wouldn’t think more about this.
    It’s like that saying I saw in a restaurant;
    “People seem normal until you actually get to know them” :)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'd say lighten up and try not to take it too seriously.  They are probably not aware of how serious you are with stuff like this.
    Communicate less with the female and more with the male of her flippant style bothers you, doesn't mean you aren't friends, you can be friends through him.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Friendship are like any relationship where people don't always act as you want.  Doesn't mean you abandon them.  If you think they are good people still and you want to hang with them don't let this incident stop you from that.  She annoyed you ,  she knows from you now that she annoyed you so nothing more on that situation needs to be done at this time.  chill out and go next week to your regular coffee meet and be your regular friendly self.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I'm upset because I feel she's insinuating something by twice pranking me she broke up.
    Does she think I have romantic feelings for her because I visit her work every Saturday for a coffee?
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited October 2017
    My 2 cents.
    It sounds like you do.
     Or why not leave it where it is and move on and say to yourself. "What a strange couple"
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited October 2017
    What would you feel if you found out she does infact have feelings.? Would you then walk away. Or listen?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Maybe talk to her about this in as straight forward honest and matter-of-fact way as possible- and try to leave emotion out of it so as not to confuse things.  Simply explain that you enjoy a good joke but are not a fan of pranks.  Some people thrive on pranks and when that is a mutually understood thing between friends I'm sure there's little or no harm in it.   But if you're not into pranks (I know I'm not) then she would do well to respect that or risk your friendship.  A friend who doesn't respect your own boundaries may not be the right kind of friend for you.

I hope that helps some.  You're good- don't let her get to you.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• There is of course the fact she may be short on attention. Looks that way as a neutral here. She went the wrong way about it. Could be that
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

My 2 cents.
    It sounds like you do.
     Or why not leave it where it is and move on and say to yourself. "What a strange couple"
    It sounds like I what? 
  • I just sounds like you are really bothered by this couple who are not more than casual friends you don't know that well. This may be their normal. But it by the amount its bothered you sounds like you care more than just a casual friend you don't know very well. Let it go . If you can't then i guess you care more
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Not sure I follow what you're saying.
    Not bothered by the couple, I am bothered at the prank by her.
  • They seem odd . Leave them behind
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

They seem odd . Leave them behind
    Yeah, I find it odd to prank someone by saying that you and your partner broke up.
    I'm just saddened as I thought I made friends.
    And I am disappointed that she told me to get over it as she was joking rather than apologising.
    I feel like I am made to feel like the person in the wrong here.
    brianlux said:
    Maybe talk to her about this in as straight forward honest and matter-of-fact way as possible- and try to leave emotion out of it so as not to confuse things.  Simply explain that you enjoy a good joke but are not a fan of pranks.  Some people thrive on pranks and when that is a mutually understood thing between friends I'm sure there's little or no harm in it.   But if you're not into pranks (I know I'm not) then she would do well to respect that or risk your friendship.  A friend who doesn't respect your own boundaries may not be the right kind of friend for you.

I hope that helps some.  You're good- don't let her get to you.
    Thanks Brian.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    of all the times you have asked for advice, how many times have you taken the advice offered and acted on it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I just had a thought. Could it be that as a couple they contrived this. Let's say he says to her." That guy fancies you."
    Gets her to message from his phone to see if you take the' bait' . Maybe its a test. He maybe insecure and i can see why if this is how she behaves. I take it these are youngsters? Sounds like an immature thing to do.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Oh man, another one of these threads.... :lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    I just had a thought. Could it be that as a couple they contrived this. Let's say he says to her." That guy fancies you."
    Gets her to message from his phone to see if you take the' bait' . Maybe its a test. He maybe insecure and i can see why if this is how she behaves. I take it these are youngsters? Sounds like an immature thing to do.
    They're 7 years younger than me.
    Maybe, that's what worries me.
    Oh man, another one of these threads.... :lol:
    Yet you found the time and energy to leave a post?
    mickeyrat said:
    of all the times you have asked for advice, how many times have you taken the advice offered and acted on it?
    Whatever. 
  • Igonre . Its good to talk that's why we come here. Speak freely o.p
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Igonre . Its good to talk that's why we come here. Speak freely o.p
    thanks! 
  • I find that sometimes i have posted or made a thread with good intentions and some want to comment or shoot you down for their own buzz. Again society you crazy breed. We are all different but somehow similar.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I find that sometimes i have posted or made a thread with good intentions and some want to comment or shoot you down for their own buzz. Again society you crazy breed. We are all different but somehow similar.
    Some people just like being dicks unfortunately. Build themselves up by tearing other people down.
  • Back to the topic. If they are 7 years younger there is the answer. Immature games from immature folk i still think don't get involved with the games. Move on politely. New friends and relationships are out there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Back to the topic. If they are 7 years younger there is the answer. Immature games from immature folk i still think don't get involved with the games. Move on politely. New friends and relationships are out there
    They're the closest to my age at university and thought I guess it could work, kind of lonely being 33 and back at university. Cannot really relate to the 18-19 year olds plus I get a sense they are not interested in knowing me due to the age gap. Ah wells, I am there to study hard and get high grades.
    I was thinking of going into the cafe for a coffee this weekend but probably best I move on. 
    I feel like I am being kept as a 'friend' for her own amusement and am thought of as a fool.

• Not a fool. Older and wiser. Keep your head up
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Not a fool. Older and wiser. Keep your head up