Options

Release/Hi Dad

23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,490
The following text is not mine, its copy paste from Five Horizons fanzine..
06/12/03 - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre: Bonner Springs (Kansas City), KS

A lovely day turned to dark skies, lightning and a torrential downpour starting during Idlewild's set. During the set change, the first row of seats is flooded with water pouring from the upper sections. Mike comes out and tosses several shirts out to the crowd. The stage is mopped, equipment is covered and the band prepares to play as the downpour turns to steady rain and the lightning becomes less threatening. Opening with 'Release,' singing, "Oh, dear Dad, can you see us now? I am myself, like you somehow." (A large streak of lightning flashes across the sky). Ed says, "Hi, Dad." A rather powerful moment.....

https://youtu.be/tP18w_8rIks
Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I was there, in the front row. I also e-mailed Five Horizons my ‘review’ of that show whicj they paraphrased & posted. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    release00release00 Posts: 342
    Was there. 13th row. 3rd PJ show at the time. Completely soaked from head to toe. Amazing moment and show. 
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    My wife and I always talk about that version.  Probably the best Release ever IMO
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Wasn't there (wish I was) but sure was a powerful version. 
  • Options
    Does video exist?
  • Options
    I was there, in the front row. I also e-mailed Five Horizons my ‘review’ of that show whicj they paraphrased & posted. 
    release00 said:
    Was there. 13th row. 3rd PJ show at the time. Completely soaked from head to toe. Amazing moment and show. 
    Hail,hail to the lucky ones!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Lucky to be front row center for that KC show (Bonner Springs) with my wife. We seriously thought the show would be cancelled due to so much water. We were standing on our seats to stay above the water rushing down to the front of the Amphitheatre. So thankful they decided to play the show.

Shorter set due to delayed start, but fast and furious to make up for lost time. Get the boot if you can find it.

Release was truly magical. Best of the few times I have seen it played. “Hi Dad.” 
  • Options
    Does video exist?
    No video on youtube
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    jeremyjeremy Posts: 409
    best release ever.-

''walk the bridges before you burn them down...''
    and always remember ''it's no crime to escape!!!"
  • Options
    jeremy said:
    best release ever.-

Absolutely 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    jeremy said:
    best release ever.-

Absolutely 
    no question
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    I was there as well...about 6 rows back
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Whipping was a good one that night, as well  ".....Don't need a raincoat, you're already wet"
    What a great show. Was fortunate to find a poster from that show in mint condition recently. Framed & on my wall. 

I've said it before, but the next night's show in Council-tucky.... an absolutely killer set & show. Smaller arena, Arc opener, Buddy Holly tags all over the place... 
    KC 98 00 03 10
    Council Bluffs 03
    PJ20 (1 & 2)
    Wrigley 13, 16 (1 & 2), 18 (1 & 2)
    OKC 13
    Lincoln 14
    Moline 14
    St. Paul 14
  • Options
    I'll get you someday..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    One of the most amazing experiences of my life. I’d just lost my grandpa a few days before my best friend and I took a PJ vacation to follow the band for a week. KC was the first show. That version of Release is pure perfection. I always get chills or tears.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    I love this song and this version. Definitely my "go to" when I want to hear a 2000s version of this song - although I also really like the one they performed in Italy in 2006!

I won't start a new thread to request it, I'm really hoping they perform this in Seattle.
  • Options
    rummy said:
    I love this song and this version. Definitely my "go to" when I want to hear a 2000s version of this song - although I also really like the one they performed in Italy in 2006!

I won't start a new thread to request it, I'm really hoping they perform this in Seattle.
    You get it!!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    I got it indeed. I'm a grown man who was nearly reduced to tears as it was performed. I don't think I'd ever sung along with a song with such determination as I did during those five or so minutes! Just beautiful!
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 897
    I’ve listened to it alot, it’s a special version and I’m sure it’s a “had to be there “ moment.
  • Options
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    I got it indeed. I'm am a grown man who was nearly reduced to tears as it was performed. I don't think I'd ever sung along with a song with such determination as I did during those five or so minutes! Just beautiful!
    Someday i will feel the same my friend!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    edited June 2019
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    I got it indeed. I'm am a grown man who was nearly reduced to tears as it was performed. I don't think I'd ever sung along with a song with such determination as I did during those five or so minutes! Just beautiful!
    Dude come to Boston next time they play there. Almost guaranteed! 
  • Options
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    It seems they've done a nice job playing it more frequently over the past few years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this song's popularity keeps gaining momentum as time marches on.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    It seems they've done a nice job playing it more frequently over the past few years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this song's popularity keeps gaining momentum as time marches on.
    While I think it gets played more frequently now, I feel like it’s always been a coveted opener.  It always felt like you were in for an epic show if you got Release for an opener.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited June 2019
    on2legs said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    While I think it gets played more frequently now, I feel like it’s always been a coveted opener.  It always felt like you were in for an epic show if you got Release for an opener.  
    Fair enough...I guess the band seems to me more in tune with how special this song is these days. Don't get me wrong, I love Oceans, Long Road, Of the Girl, Sometimes, and Wash (which I've yet to witness - maybe some day soon!) but every Pearl Jam fan deserves to hear release at some point in their lives!! 
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,188
    rummy said:
    on2legs said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    Fair enough...I guess the band seems to me more in tune with how special this song is these days. Don't get me wrong, I love Oceans, Long Road, Of the Girl, Sometimes, and Wash (which I've yet to witness - maybe some day soon!) but every Pearl Jam fan deserves to hear release at some point in their lives!! 
    This. As we get older Release gets more powerful. Hard to even get through it live without misty eyes these days. Hope the trend of being a staple continues for future shows.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    Dude come to Boston next time they play there. Almost guaranteed! 
    Wish i could buddy..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    rummy said:
    on2legs said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    This. As we get older Release gets more powerful. Hard to even get through it live without misty eyes these days. Hope the trend of being a staple continues for future shows.
    Well said all of you..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    rummy said:
    on2legs said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:
    23scidoo said:
    rummy said:

You get it!!!
    Agreed.  It is a special song. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore