Black - most depressing, yet most beautiful song

62strat62strat Posts: 638
ever.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    YES it is.

I mean, I love it how mike changes his solos EVERY TIME, it is not the same and that is what I like about this song and Eddie, OMG, how he puts his own emotions into that song like 'we belong together' oh MAN, it doesn't get any heavier than that.:)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    I think Nothingman is as much depressing as Black... Both are equally sad... and I love both of them!
    ...We´re faithful, we all believe, we all believe...
  • Options
    pearspears Posts: 36
    black makes me cry. i love the unplugged version. i could listen to it for hours.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pears
    black makes me cry. i love the unplugged version. i could listen to it for hours.

the Unplugged version is also my fav.

We belong.. we belong together...
    I miss you already, I miss you always
  • Options
    for me... i love depressing songs... i think most beautiful than a love song...
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • Options
    I STILL can't listen to that song.

I remember going to the Buffalo show, and I was having a great time, and then all off of the sudden I hear the opening notes for Black and it was like being hit by a truck. I just kinda sat down and held my head in my hands for a few minutes.

fucking suck I am :p
    I'll paint a scene
    from memory,
    so I'll know who murdered me.
    It's a vain pursuit
    but it helps me to sleep
  • Options
    I'll agree with you there strat...it's an amazing song. There is so much emotion behind the song that I don't think I'll ever figure out. But even though it's such a deep, personal song, everyone connects to it in some way. Every fan. Now that, that is an epic.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    and there isn't anyone alive who can't relate to it somehow..."i know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky..."
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I've been skipping this song lately brings too many sad emotions for me right now.

IT is a great song though just hard to listen to right now in my life
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    black reminds me of someone i loved a lot and for a lot of reasons i cant be with anymore...someone i had to give up (distance reasons..) oh well ,black is a beautiful song !
  • Options
    This song is worthy of a salute.........
    Ladies and Gentlemen.........the much Dreaded.....Peoples Eyebrow-

}=- \
  • Options
    I heard this tune live, and it was such
    a rollercoaster of emotions! I almost cried,
    but they played some cool little laughing raindrop
    type notes that made me have to smile.
    I get shivers all through me listening to the
    boot. Thanks PJ!!
  • Options
    PhillyPJPhillyPJ Posts: 1,266
    I agree
  • Options
    rybesrybes Posts: 136
    such a beautiful beautiful song, brings me to tears quite often
  • Options
    Black definitely can bring me to tears but lately Nothingman has really been getting to me, especially the Touring Band version. But when black is live and mixed with just the right amount of sorrow, it's amazing. A lot of my own memories are mixed up in Black.
    'sometimes i have everything, yet i wish i felt something'
  • Options
    Black is really an emotional song and I guess most of the people were going, are going or will be going through the stage in their life when they can somehow relate to it...
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in-between is mine
  • Options
    black is the single most amazing song ever written for me in terms of emotion. that song is 100% pure heartache. I can relate to it on so many levels, and its the only song that has ever made me cry............i have a hard time imagining my life without that song.

Thank you PJ!!!! Thank you so much!
    "I'm making music for music's sake, and I have an audience I'm proud of." -EV

• Options
    Versus13Versus13 Vancouver, BC Posts: 191
    My FAVOURITE song of all time! Full of huge emotion and is just brilliant musically and lyrically! They played it in Pittsburgh this year and it was awesome! :D

MTV '92 is my favourite version
    Pittsburgh, PA 10/11/13
    Detroit, MI 10/16/14
    Tampa, FL 4/11/16
    Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16
    Toronto, ON 5/12/16
    Chicago, IL 8/22/16
    Chicago, IL 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL 8/20/18
    Boston, MA 9/4/18
    Ottawa, ON 9/3/22
    Hamilton, ON 9/6/22
    Toronto, ON 9/8/22
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    WWWHHHYYYYYYYY, WWWWWHHHHYYYYYYY CAN'T IT BE MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

it just can't. I've sang this song at the top of my lungs many times, often scaring those around me.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    best song in the history of music
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    It makes me happy for what I have and sometimes take for granted
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    barnburner13barnburner13 Princeton, Illinois Posts: 8
    "black" and "just breathe" are both tearjerkers for me...
    Nov 26, 1991 Normal, Illinois July 19, 2013 Wrigley FIeld
  • Options
    pbrm_pearljampbrm_pearljam Amsterdam Posts: 38
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=1oZCjhSAzBk

One of the best ever !! (for me though)
    See the path.....cut by the moon.....for you to walk on........

NIJMEGEN 2007 - AHOY 2009 - NIJMEGEN 2010 - AMSTERDAM-1 2012
    AMSTERDAM-2 2012 !!!!!!!!
    ED 25-7-2012

AMSTERDAM 1+2 2014
  • Options

best song in the history of music

THIS :x
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    it's telling that the greatest works of art are often wrenched from a place of desperation. the low points in life give life to the most amazing expressions and this song goes down as one of the greatest works of art humanity has produced!!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    you can edit your posts after you've been banned?
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Black reminds me of the loves I lost and how I felt at the time, it's so full of emotion for me, and it makes me so grateful for the love I have now....that I have found the man who I truly belong with....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Best song ever
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,507
    My least favorite song of the band's
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    osteoblasticosteoblastic St Cloud, MN Posts: 47
    This was the first song I ever remember discovering on my own of PJ (my mom had played Ten a lot but that wasn't me playing the music). I taped it off the radio as soon as it came on, so I missed the first few seconds. But I remember listening to it while rollerblading around a graveyard by my house at probably 12 years old, and just being totally mesmerized by it.

To this day it's one of those songs I can't just casually listen to. Like if it comes on the radio and my husband is talking to me, I have to either tell him to stop talking or I turn off the radio. It's also not on my PJ playlists, because I can't be cleaning the house and have it come on. It just emotionally hits me too hard. In a good way, but in a way that takes me out of my everyday too much to be watered down by everyday listening. Hope I get to hear it live some day :)
    I gotta say it now, better loud than too late. 2014-10-19 St Paul, MN