Options

Why can’t PJ announce a tour like this :)

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    At least I now know to not burn a vacation weekend on those Fenway/Wrigley dates. Are these the first dates for those venues next year or are there more out there? Searched google with no luck. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    edited October 2017
    I think it's because Foo Fighters like being on the road more than PJ likes being on the road.

I think that's all it is.   Foo Fighters are already touring, and will probably do more dates after these announced dates.   They tend to have their thing.   They drop an album, tour hardcore for a few years to promote it.   Touring to the point they get sick of it.  They don't want to do it anymore.   They make a big announcement of being on hiatus.   Then a while later they get bored of home life, and the cycle restarts.  

Pearl Jam likes to keep the tours shorter so they never get to the point of being sick of it.  For that group of guys I think that works for them.  Just like the Foo Fighters system seems to work for the Foo Fighters.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    Euro dates in June too including Pinkpop
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,321
    How did they announce it? I don't see anything special
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Today is October 23.  They announced dates through July.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited October 2017
    Zod said:
    I think it's because Foo Fighters like being on the road more than PJ likes being on the road.

I think that's all it is.   Foo Fighters are already touring, and will probably do more dates after these announced dates.   They tend to have their thing.   They drop an album, tour hardcore for a few years to promote it.   Touring to the point they get sick of it.  They don't want to do it anymore.   They make a big announcement of being on hiatus.   Then a while later they get bored of home life, and the cycle restarts.  

Pearl Jam likes to keep the tours shorter so they never get to the point of being sick of it.  For that group of guys I think that works for them.  Just like the Foo Fighters system seems to work for the Foo Fighters.
    I think you're right. PJ simply doesn't like touring. If they did, they'd do it more. Obviously. But I do disagree with your last thought. I think they are pretty much sick of it already, and mostly do it because they kind of have to in order to keep making money and to maintain their fan base. Of course I don't really know what they feel at all, but this is just my impression or my guess, gleaned from the bits and pieces I've heard and read over time, not to mention what I think their last two albums hint at in terms of artistic output. I think they are proud of their careers, but I have the sense that there is a little too much obligation in their motivation at this point.......... I do really hope I'm wrong though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

I think you're right. PJ simply doesn't like touring. If they did, they'd do it more. Obviously. But I do disagree with your last thought. I think they are pretty much sick of it already, and mostly do it because they kind of have to in order to keep making money and to maintain their fan base. Of course I don't really know what they feel at all, but this is just my impression or my guess, gleaned from the bits and pieces I've heard and read over time, not to mention what I think their last two albums hint at in terms of artistic output. I think they are proud of their careers, but I have the sense that there is a little too much obligation in their motivation at this point.......... I do really hope I'm wrong though.
    I think you are 100% correct.  I think Mike is the only one that still has that passion for making  music and touring from the old days.  Been 26 years.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    edited October 2017
    I don't mind that they do these shorter tours. Yes it takes effort in having to travel some years but I've seen them every year since 1998 except 99 and 07. And the trips are 99% of the time the best experiences. And I think we get quality or quantity. 

That being said shorter tours by no means precludes them for giving more advance notice. Wish they would improve that.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

I think you are 100% correct.  I think Mike is the only one that still has that passion for making  music and touring from the old days.  Been 26 years.
    They all love making music and love playing live.

They may not like touring.  big difference.

As I get older I am sick of airports, hotels and flights.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, but... if they all love making making music and love playing as a band but don't like touring, why aren't they all making music and playing close to home as a band a lot more? I would agree with you if they were all out and about, both together and separately, in and close to Seattle or wherever they are spending most of their time a lot more. But they aren't. They have all essentially disbursed at this point, and then seem to grudgingly come back together now and again in order to keep the Pearl Jam money flowing and to offer closer to the minimum of what it takes to keep fans invested. I'm not even saying this as a criticism - they should all do what they need/want to do for whatever reasons they have. I'm just looking at their actions objectively using the info I've got. I think what we're witnessing is the very slow and steady decline of an aging band (a fantastic one). Which is fair enough. I'm sure most of us would prefer this method to a sudden, final breakup.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,116
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, but... if they all love making making music and love playing as a band but don't like touring, why aren't they all making music and playing close to home as a band a lot more? I would agree with you if they were all out and about, both together and separately, in and close to Seattle or wherever they are spending most of their time a lot more. But they aren't. They have all essentially disbursed at this point, and then seem to grudgingly come back together now and again in order to keep the Pearl Jam money flowing and to offer closer to the minimum of what it takes to keep fans invested. I'm not even saying this as a criticism - they should all do what they need/want to do for whatever reasons they have. I'm just looking at their actions objectively using the info I've got. I think what we're witnessing is the very slow and steady decline of an aging band (a fantastic one). Which is fair enough. I'm sure most of us would prefer this method to a sudden, final breakup.
    To be honest.   Most bands lose their creative output when they get older.   They seemed to struggle with Lightning bolt (recording it in two separate sessions that were quite far apart).    It could simply be they now find it harder to make new material.   It pretty much happens with most bands that have been together that long.

I also tend to be more optimistic on the touring.  I've never been to a show where I didn't think the guys enjoyed being there and playing together.    I think they like it in short doses, rather than big long drawn out tours.  I also doubt they all have the same tolerance for spending time away from home.   I imagine touring is based on the tolerance of those who like being on the road the least, rather than the most.    I think you can tell by how active band members are outside of the band.  Eddie does solo tours when he gets bored, Mike is always collaborating on something :)

In a way its probably what's given the band legs.  If the band members that like to tour more tried to run roughshot over the ones that don't, I imagine that would create divisions in the band.  To me, they figured out a way to be a band, without driving themselves crazy.   I'd love to see more shows, but I think the formula is what has them going the distance.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I would never suggest that those who want to tour should win that argument. I actually believe that, in any relationship, the NO side always has to win. Being forced or pressured into doing something one doesn't want to do is infinitely worse than someone not doing something they want to do, IMO. It is also far better for a person who does want to do something to walk away in order to do it themselves than for someone to walk away because they were dead set against something but others were demanding it of them anyway.

FWIW, I think Jeff is the one who hates touring the most, and the one who gets most cranky during tours.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    You mean a tour where they play the same setlist every nite----NO THANKS.  
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 937
    mcrok said:
    It was about how they announce a tour and the number of dates they play, not the setlist but thanks for playing
  • Options
    mcrok said:
    It was about how they announce a tour and the number of dates they play, not the setlist but thanks for playing

You are right, it "was" until I changed it.  Truth hurts.  Wa wa wa....I wish PJ would do this and that.  The point is to appreciate what is given and understand that 20 truly authentic PJ shows blows away 1000 FF same setlist shows every time.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Pearl Jam are not the foo fighters.  If PJ didn't like playing live they would stop. They do not "have" to tour.
    It has been many, many years since they did a large tour.  Its not going to change.  Neither is the way they announce tours. They have announced the SA dates so there is a good chance they will announce additional dates.  Chill, relax, have a sandwich, just do something else.  The dates will come in the typical PJ style. Stop comparing them to other bands.  The fact that they do it their own way is part of what makes them great.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    Actually the point of starting this thread was to show that other similar, successful bands give their fans plenty of advance notice and release entire legs when announcing tours.  Really helps when you have to plan travel and vacation time.  Hopefully we won’t be waiting too much longer and receive show by show annoncents.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Actually the point of starting this thread was to show that other similar, successful bands give their fans plenty of advance notice and release entire legs when announcing tours.  Really helps when you have to plan travel and vacation time.  Hopefully we won’t be waiting too much longer and receive show by show annoncents.

Have you all considered this?  PJ shows are so unique that many fans will travel to multiple shows.  The longer notice the more likely more and more fans will try to go to more and more shows.  Maybe the reason for the shorter notice is to make sure the locals have a better chance to get ten club tix...have you all considered that very reasonable and respectful thought process?  

This is not the case with a same setlist every night performance.  Who goes to see 3, 4, or 5 of those shows in a row?  Not nearly as many for obvious reasons.

Would it be safe to assume whomever is complaining about this is a millennial, lol?
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    They most definitely would continue to tour even if they did not like it.  Jeff knows that RNDM does not pay for the skate parks.   Stone knows Brad does not pay for the environmental initiatives he supports.   Etc..... Touring becomes charity work. 

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mcrok said:
    vedpunk said:

Have you all considered this?  PJ shows are so unique that many fans will travel to multiple shows.  The longer notice the more likely more and more fans will try to go to more and more shows.  Maybe the reason for the shorter notice is to make sure the locals have a better chance to get ten club tix...have you all considered that very reasonable and respectful thought process?  

This is not the case with a same setlist every night performance.  Who goes to see 3, 4, or 5 of those shows in a row?  Not nearly as many for obvious reasons.

Would it be safe to assume whomever is complaining about this is a millennial, lol?

No. This, and many, many other issues, have been complained about for years. Differences of opinion are allowed.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcrok said:
    vedpunk said:

No. This, and many, many other issues, have been complained about for years. Differences of opinion are allowed.

Just because it is allowed doesn't disqualify it as ignorant, in my opinion.  The difference is my opinion is based on some thought out logic that considers the band and the fans.  Where as "I want more", "I don't have time to plan"...is all me me me.  One should really think about what they are asking for before they ask it (and potential consequences/ramifications if those wishes to become true).  That would include everyone involved not just your selfish selves.  You should be ashamed based on what this band has given for so many years.  Ungrateful.  
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2017
    mcrok said:
    mcrok said:
    vedpunk said:

Just because it is allowed doesn't disqualify it as ignorant, in my opinion.  The difference is my opinion is based on some thought out logic that considers the band and the fans.  Where as "I want more", "I don't have time to plan"...is all me me me.  One should really think about what they are asking for before they ask it (and potential consequences/ramifications if those wishes to become true).  That would include everyone involved not just your selfish selves.  You should be ashamed based on what this band has given for so many years.  Ungrateful.  
    My, some people do project a lot. But like I said, differences of opinion are allowed. 

FYI You have completely missed my point
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited October 2017
    You should respect the opinions of others.
    Go back and read your post. 
    Seems every thread devolves into some sort of angry post(s) here. 

People complaining that they want the McRib to be released permanently...or that sauce that everyone melted down about recently be made a permanent item should be ashamed based on what McDonalds has given the world.*

Silly?  Sure.  You should call me ignorant and ungrateful.

Wishing that your favorite band, who tours on a somewhat limited basis, would announce further in advance is a perfectly normal and acceptable wish.  (In my opinion....of course)   They have a system in place to make sure that 10C members get access to some tickets.  Go to a thread that complains about that and call names if you want, but don't hate on those of us who wish we could see as many shows as possible during any given year.

Signed,
    Not Ashamed, Not Ungrateful, Often Ignorant

*disclaimer -- I have not eaten at McDonalds since 2003 and I plan on never eating there again.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    They most definitely would continue to tour even if they did not like it.  Jeff knows that RNDM does not pay for the skate parks.   Stone knows Brad does not pay for the environmental initiatives he supports.   Etc..... Touring becomes charity work. 

I wanna rock n' roll all night n' give to charity everyday. :hang_loose:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Something tells me they don't mind making money... 

But either way... I think their style of touring & announcing helps maximize sales, especially with people going for multiple shows...
  • Options
    mcrok said:
    mcrok said:

You are right, it "was" until I changed it.  Truth hurts.  Wa wa wa....I wish PJ would do this and that.  The point is to appreciate what is given and understand that 20 truly authentic PJ shows blows away 1000 FF same setlist shows every time.
    You got into this thread all wrong. Take a step back. Your point is... pointless in regards to this thread.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Way too many fans are unable to distinguish the actions of Pearl Jam vs. the actions of Pearl Jam's management.  Yes, Foo Fighters' management announces tours better than Pearl Jam's management.  That's not a knock against Pearl Jam.  There is definitely room for improvement here. 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    CopperTom said:
    Way too many fans are unable to distinguish the actions of Pearl Jam vs. the actions of Pearl Jam's management.  Yes, Foo Fighters' management announces tours better than Pearl Jam's management.  That's not a knock against Pearl Jam.  There is definitely room for improvement here. 
    None of us can know for sure, but my gut tells me that the band likes to keep their options as open as possible for as long as possible.   Who wouldn't want to be able to do that?    It just sucks because they have such a huge traveling fanbase.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Get_Right said:
    Pearl Jam are not the foo fighters.  If PJ didn't like playing live they would stop. They do not "have" to tour.
    It has been many, many years since they did a large tour.  Its not going to change.  Neither is the way they announce tours. They have announced the SA dates so there is a good chance they will announce additional dates.  Chill, relax, have a sandwich, just do something else.  The dates will come in the typical PJ style. Stop comparing them to other bands.  The fact that they do it their own way is part of what makes them great.
    bam bam bam
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    You should respect the opinions of others.
    Go back and read your post. 
    Seems every thread devolves into some sort of angry post(s) here. 

People complaining that they want the McRib to be released permanently...or that sauce that everyone melted down about recently be made a permanent item should be ashamed based on what McDonalds has given the world.*

Silly?  Sure.  You should call me ignorant and ungrateful.

Wishing that your favorite band, who tours on a somewhat limited basis, would announce further in advance is a perfectly normal and acceptable wish.  (In my opinion....of course)   They have a system in place to make sure that 10C members get access to some tickets.  Go to a thread that complains about that and call names if you want, but don't hate on those of us who wish we could see as many shows as possible during any given year.

Signed,
    Not Ashamed, Not Ungrateful, Often Ignorant

*disclaimer -- I have not eaten at McDonalds since 2003 and I plan on never eating there again.

Me:  "Have you all considered this?  PJ shows are so unique that many fans will travel to multiple shows.  The longer notice the more likely more and more fans will try to go to more and more shows.  Maybe the reason for the shorter notice is to make sure the locals have a better chance to get ten club tix..."

You: "but don't hate on those of us who wish we could see as many shows as possible during any given year"

Maybe you should reread my post.  You proved my exact point.  Too busy being all butt hurt about my critique of your complaints as being ignorant and ungrateful.  

Before I finish with this thread and leave you all to your own group think and speculation on how messed up it is they don't announce tours early enough and speculate on the bands state of mind, creativity, and passion for playing live (all of which are absurd)-----------You should respect the decision making of the Band and/or their management---they deserve it.  Or maybe get yourself a better job/career, lol.

Post edited by mcrok on
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis