Options

Interior Design Help Needed

FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
Let me paint you a picture. I have a room bout 13X20. All that's in this room is a TV on the wall, a bedroom dresser being re-purposed as a DIY type table/junk dresser to hold toys/movies which is directly under the tv, a couch and that's it.

I have 3 kids. NOT looking for anything fancy or super modern. I don't know that I have OCD but I like clean lines. No crookedness. No mess. Ha! 3 kids later. Sooo can't even really have a coffee table cuz the kids are animals and jump off everything or ya know run around it playin tag and blow their face out on it.

So the reason I bring this up is because first off I need some lighting. We purchased a foreclosed manufactur. The type that doest have lights in the ceilings in the living rooms. So I just moved out our broken old cheap ugly floor lamp. 

Anyone have any different kind of lighting? For example twinkling lights? Different lamps? I'm not looking to do any new electric installation. 

I don't have anything on the walls. The walls in these type of homes aren't like stick built. Seems there aren't any studs where you need them. And the way the walls are shaped they make you feel 2 foot tall. I would like to put up a big mirror and will build from that.

So any "homey" suggestions to help my plain room? Again I can't handle too much chaos. 

Thank you in advance to all the creative minds out there!!

Oh only other thing I was thinking was an ottoman that's soft fabric with storage.
Oh please let it rain today.
Those that can be trusted can change their mind.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yo, Foxy!

We're in dire need of a re-do here...moreso on furniture and flooring vs. paint, and getting our posters framed and up.

As someone who lives in a small space with little character, I've found paint / color makes a huge difference.  Framed photos, or whatever you enjoy seeing every day that's nail-able.  Maybe some plants too?  Green always makes for a nice environment.

If you can get a couple or few hooks into the ceiling, there are some very pretty lights you just need to hang from them and plug in.  Kinda dig those Japanese lanterns AND the Christmas-y ones.

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Lighting I can't help you with, I have the same problem, just can't seem to get it right. As far as the walls, if you have a local art gallery in your area, oftentimes they sell smaller  prints of the larger displays. You can buy frames at a dollar store or a local drug store and they don't require heavy wall studs to hang.  You pick the art and hang as evenly as you want. Good luck. 

• Options
    Hedo! Hi! 

Well. I have a lot of left over paint. I'm going to freshen up the walls but no new color yet. Of course it's just a neutral. Flooring needs to be done throughout the entire house but waiting till taxes and we have to have the roof checked out first.

I may look into a nice fake green piece! I :kiss: you had "green" in your response :giggle:. But do love this! For years I grew up with a fake palm tree, my ceilings aren't "high" enough :lol:. Ha ok I'm done. But true story. Excellent idea!

And I didn't consider hanging lights. Brilliant! Not sure how I feel about the cord just weirdly hanging there. And I picture the kids clothes lining themselves. They're little and learning yet and they have figured out how to plug and unplug and shove it into the plug sooooo. I know these are annoying but I need to be able to give them some freedom so I can get some chores done too. But! I will look into this THANKS!
  • Options
    P&E! Thank you for your thoughts. I am ok with staggered design for pix on the wall as long as it's pleasing to the eye. 

We bought this place about 5 years ago. We put so much money down we haven't been able to start changing anything and now we're a family of 5. Budget is tight because I keep it that way. All we've done is paint and light fictures.

As many foreclosures ours was tore up! Different rooms had different areas of molding missing, graffiti in the closets, shelves and poles and stuff taken from the closets, the fireplace insert was gone. Just makes you shake your head.

So anyway. Love where I live. The property is perfect. Almost all the neighbors are perfect. House just needs updates that I can't afford. And every day I look at it and think, man. But I do know it could be worse and I try to remain thankful!

Recently, the fridge spewed all over the kitchen floor. A few weeks later my dryer sounded like a basketball game with all the squeaky shoes!

One day at a time. Slow progress. Lol that perfectly describes my life ha!

Thanks again.