Home Recording Equipment... Help!!!

I've been looking at the TASCAM DP-24sd and the ZOOM R24. From the little research I've done it seems the TASCAM has poor sound quality but a good build quality. The ZOOM has better sound but cheaper build quality. Also looking at Mics in the $150 to $300 range, suitable for guitar amp and drum kit. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Heading out tomorrow to do the deed.

Comments

• Oh well... the deed is done. I went for the ZOOM R24. Also grabbed 4 used Shure57's and a kick drum mic that was on sale for $60. Here's hoping the ZOOM works out for me. Anyone have one or used one?

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I don't have experience with either recorder you mentioned. Sorry. That Zoom looks cool though. 

The SM57's should serve you well. I have a few that I bought nearly 20 years ago and they're still going strong. I've used them mostly on drums and guitar amps but they sound OK for live vocals too.

Congrats on the new gear. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dudeman said:
    I don't have experience with either recorder you mentioned. Sorry. That Zoom looks cool though. 

The SM57's should serve you well. I have a few that I bought nearly 20 years ago and they're still going strong. I've used them mostly on drums and guitar amps but they sound OK for live vocals too.

Congrats on the new gear. 

Thanks dudeman. I was told you can hammer nails into wood with a SM57, and it will still work as good as ever. I also picked up a SM58 for vocals. I haven't had a chance to use the ZOOM yet but yes it does seem like a cool compact recording unit.

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I have the SM58 and it's great
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I need some suggestions for a speaker for my microphone in my at home setup. It'll just be used for home recording, but I also wouldn't be opposed to spending a little more for something more flexible that can be used at home as well as live. Thanks in advance.