What music are you medicating with?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
Henry Rollins once (or more times) said, "I medicate with music." 

With worries and concerns up the yin yang lately, tonight I turned to R.E.M.'s Reckoning to ease my soul.  Not a bad why to step of of the spin cycle for awhile.

What music are you medicating with (mention of other forms of medicating being optional)?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• When I'm feeling blue I put this on the stereo.

https://youtu.be/2iZ7id-lxXo

Wayne Shorter featuring Milton Nascimento.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    When I'm feeling blue I put this on the stereo.

That record had been on my want list at one point and I forgot about it.  Back on the want list it goes!  Great pick!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ourboros - Ray Lamontagne
    www.cluthelee.com
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    edited October 2017
    Or, as I say, "The Church do drugs so I don't have to." B)   I've always used music as therapy, and The Church has gotten me through a lot. They're still my go-to when I need to just be somewhere, anywhere else; my brain needs to expand and escape.

Eddie singing "It's Okay" is some of the best medicine.

Mahler Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection," is a special piece of music; so is Beethoven's Ninth, of course -- one of the greatest human artistic achievements, it reminds me of what we are capable of (in a good way). Another personal classical favorite of mine is Dvorak's "Czech Suite."

Reggae: Bob Marley's "Acoustic Medley" is a mind-blowing display of genius and charisma; it really helps me settle and clear my head. "Three Little Birds" is good for anxiety. 

Jazz -- Ella Fitzgerald, the voice of an angel....

PJ -- Push Me, Pull Me, no kidding, is a really important song for me. There are many others (RVM, In My Tree, Present Tense, Yellow Moon, etc. etc. etc.), but that's one that has gotten me through many an existential crisis.

Other songs guaranteed to pull me out of a rut: Everclear, "Santa Monica;" No Doubt, "Spiderwebs;" Style Council, "Strength of Your Nature;" RATM, "Killing in the Name;" Peter Gabriel, "Solsbury Hill" and "Lay Your Hands on Me;" Imagine Dragons (I'm not ashamed), "Demons" and "It's Time;" World Party, "Way Down Now."

Foo Fighters are great for finishing a long, tough race (I finished the National Marathon with a kick thanks to "Learn to Fly").

Any RATM and Nirvana's "Rape Me" are for when I'm feeling uncertain or scared.

I want to listen to Arcade Fire's "Everything Now" all day, every day, but that will drive my husband mad. :s

And, nowadays, for so many situations, "I Won't Back Down" (probably on steady loop with "It's Okay") -- it's steady background music playing in my head most days.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Oh, and speaking of REM, "Pilgrimage" is a great one to help me let go and relax.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Or, as I say, "The Church do drugs so I don't have to." B)   I've always used music as therapy, and The Church has gotten me through a lot. They're still my go-to when I need to just be somewhere, anywhere else; my brain needs to expand and escape.

Eddie singing "It's Okay" is some of the best medicine.

Mahler Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection," is a special piece of music; so is Beethoven's Ninth, of course -- one of the greatest human artistic achievements, it reminds me of what we are capable of (in a good way). Another personal classical favorite of mine is Dvorak's "Czech Suite."

Reggae: Bob Marley's "Acoustic Medley" is a mind-blowing display of genius and charisma; it really helps me settle and clear my head. "Three Little Birds" is good for anxiety. 

Jazz -- Ella Fitzgerald, the voice of an angel....

PJ -- Push Me, Pull Me, no kidding, is a really important song for me. There are many others (RVM, In My Tree, Present Tense, Yellow Moon, etc. etc. etc.), but that's one that has gotten me through many an existential crisis.

Other songs guaranteed to pull me out of a rut: Everclear, "Santa Monica;" No Doubt, "Spiderwebs;" Style Council, "Strength of Your Nature;" RATM, "Killing in the Name;" Peter Gabriel, "Solsbury Hill" and "Lay Your Hands on Me;" Imagine Dragons (I'm not ashamed), "Demons" and "It's Time;" World Party, "Way Down Now."

Foo Fighters are great for finishing a long, tough race (I finished the National Marathon with a kick thanks to "Learn to Fly").

Any RATM and Nirvana's "Rape Me" are for when I'm feeling uncertain or scared.

I want to listen to Arcade Fire's "Everything Now" all day, every day, but that will drive my husband mad. :s

And, nowadays, for so many situations, "I Won't Back Down" (probably on steady loop with "It's Okay") -- it's steady background music playing in my head most days.

Nice eclectic mix of good stuff there, curmudgeoness!

Oh, and speaking of REM, "Pilgrimage" is a great one to help me let go and relax.
    Oh yeah!  Great song!

Some of the best medicine I've got in the bunch:

• brianlux said:

That record had been on my want list at one point and I forgot about it.  Back on the want list it goes!  Great pick!

Oh man, you have to get this album. Excellent from start to finish.

brianlux said:

Oh man, you have to get this album. Excellent from start to finish.

:plus_one:

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    A few songs that I can always turn to...

'Passing Stranger' by Scott Matthews. Whatever I'm feeling, I can always disappear into this song

https://youtu.be/PpV92VOEdDw

'Only In The Past' by The Be Good Tanyas. Whenever I get lost in my memories and find myself missing someone, I always seem to end up with this playing in my head

https://youtu.be/ztuhFbKq3GI

And I think Ed's version of 'Golden State' with Natalie Maines is a phenomenal song. Everything about it is perfect and it's just one of those songs that always feels good to sing along to

https://youtu.be/G8OUW2JH8k4

Neil is an obvious choice I guess. You could stick a pin anywhere in his discography and find something to match any mood.
    Absolutely anything by Foy Vance. It's impossible to sing 'Upbeat Feelgood' without smiling (that is a scientific fact!)
    R.E.M. - again, you can pick anything from them
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Paul Kelly
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Paul Kelly
    Don't know of him, will check it out.  :smile:

• erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
    This was good for the soul tonight:  R.E.M. and Neil Young together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VfQBDoX6E

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    Paul Kelly
    One of Australia's finest. Listen to "Songs from the South - Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2"
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    Paul Kelly
    One of Australia's finest. Listen to "Songs from the South - Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2"
    :plus_one:

• The "break" on this song is one of my favorites ever and puts me into a good mood and if I'm feeling nostalgic I'll listen to Janet Jackson's Rythm Nation to hear a different take on it!

https://youtu.be/N5BP2KlPD4U
    The "break" on this song is one of my favorites ever and puts me into a good mood and if I'm feeling nostalgic I'll listen to Janet Jackson's Rythm Nation to hear a different take on it!

https://youtu.be/N5BP2KlPD4U
    And what a great greatest hits package!   Excellent choice there, tempo!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I often medicate with this song. It is probably my favorite song ever. https://open.spotify.com/track/0eMBT8pajtxCOmQYSVpcxE

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata