Harvey Weinstein

Comments

• Barbara WAlters is being dragged through the mud now for when she told Corey Feldman to hush up.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/18/will-people-now-believe-corey-feldman-about-hollywood-abusers/
  • Also, now the big 3 of Hollywood's elite that I find disgusting are:

Harvey Weinstein
    Roman Polanski
    Woody Allen

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Re Woody Allen... has he ever done anything that would be considered illegal? I know he ended up hooking up with his adopted daughter, but I don't recall there being any evidence of him doing that while she was under aged, and since they're not blood related, there is no incest going on there... It's gross, don't get me wrong, but does Woody Allen actually belong in the same list as Polanski, Weinstein, Cosby, and Trump? What factual info have I missed about Woody Allen? Has he been accused of assault or harassment by a bunch of women?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited October 2017
    Barbara WAlters is being dragged through the mud now for when she told Corey Feldman to hush up.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/18/will-people-now-believe-corey-feldman-about-hollywood-abusers/
    deservedly so...
    "you're damaging an entire industry"
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujeOqadOVQ

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Re Woody Allen... has he ever done anything that would be considered illegal? I know he ended up hooking up with his adopted daughter, but I don't recall there being any evidence of him doing that while she was under aged, and since they're not blood related, there is no incest going on there... It's gross, don't get me wrong, but does Woody Allen actually belong in the same list as Polanski, Weinstein, Cosby, and Trump? What factual info have I missed about Woody Allen? Has he been accused of assault or harassment by a bunch of women?

Allen and Farrow engaged in a custody battle after they broke up in January 1992. On August 4, 1992, Allen visited his children at Farrow's home by mutual arrangement while she went shopping.[166] Later that day, Dylan Farrow, then aged seven, told Mia Farrow that she had been sexually abused by Allen while she was out.[167] Mia Farrow reported this to their pediatrician, who reported the allegations to authorities. Allen was informed of the accusations on August 6. A week later, on August 13, Allen sued for full custody of his biological son, Satchel, and two of Farrow's adopted children, Dylan and Moses, with whom Allen had assumed a parental role.[168][164]

In March 1993, the lead doctor of Yale–New Haven Hospital Child Sexual Abuse Clinic's investigation into the allegations, Dr Leventhal, gave sworn testimony via a deposition[169] that, in his opinion, Dylan "either invented the story under the stress of living in a volatile and unhealthy home or that it was planted in her mind by her mother" because of the "inconsistent" presentation of the story by Dylan.[170][171] Leventhal either interviewed Dylan nine times[170] or brought her in nine times for questioning, without interviewing her.[172] (sources differ).

Presiding Justice Wilk criticized the clinic's investigation, stating that it had "resulted in a report which was sanitized and, therefore, less credible" and that its recommendations and statements had "exceed[ed] its mandate".[171] He concluded, "I am less certain, however, than is the Yale-New Haven team, that the evidence proves conclusively that there was no sexual abuse."[171]

Dylan said that the abuse took place in the attic. In 2014, Dylan's older brother, Moses, who was 14 at the time, denied that abuse in the attic was possible, saying that there were several people present in the house during Allen's entire visit and "no one, not my father or sister, was off in any private spaces".[173]

However, during the trial Dylan's nanny, Kristie Goteke, testified that for a period of 15–20 minutes she did not know where Allen and Dylan were.[168][171] The children's French tutor, Sophie Berge, also testified that she later noticed that Dylan was not wearing any underwear.[168][171]

In his final decision, in June 1993, Justice Wilk stated that he found “no credible evidence to support Mr. Allen’s contention that Ms. Farrow coached Dylan or that Ms. Farrow acted upon a desire for revenge against him for seducing Soon-Yi. Mr. Allen’s resort to the stereotypical ‘woman scorned’ defense is an injudicious attempt to divert attention from his failure to act as a responsible parent and adult.”[171][168] He rejected Allen's bid for full custody and denied him visitation rights with Dylan, stating that even though the full truth of the allegations may never be known, "the credible testimony of Ms. Farrow, Dr. Coates, Dr. Leventhal and Mr. Allen does, however, prove that Mr. Allen's behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her".[171][164]

In September 1993, the state's attorney, Frank Maco, announced he wouldn't be pursuing Allen in court for the molestation allegations, despite having "probable cause", citing his and Farrow's desire not to traumatise Dylan further.[174]

In addition, in October 1993, investigators with the New York Department of Social Services closed their own 14-month investigation, stating: "No credible evidence was found that the child named in this report has been abused or maltreated."[175] Allen was interviewed by 60 Minutes a few months following the allegation, when he described the custody battle, heated exchanges, and the allegations.[176]

In February 2014, Dylan Farrow repeated the allegation in an open letter published by Nicholas Kristof, a friends of hers and her mother's,[177] in his New York Times blog. She alleged that Allen had treated her in a way that made her physically uncomfortable "for as long as [she] could remember", citing occasions when he got in bed with her in his underwear.[167] Allen again repeated his denial of the allegation, calling them "untrue and disgraceful", and followed with his own response in The New York Times.[178][179] Dylan's brother Moses, a family therapist, told People magazine, "Of course Woody did not molest my sister. She loved him and looked forward to seeing him when he would visit. She never hid from him until our mother succeeded in creating the atmosphere of fear and hate towards him." He said their mother had manipulated her children into hating Allen as "a vengeful way to pay him back for falling in love with Soon-Yi."[180] Allen's biological son Ronan Farrow has said that he believes Dylan,[181] and defended her in a tweet that read, "I love and support my sister and I think her words speak for themselves." Dylan denies she was ever coached by her mother and stands by her allegations.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Thanks. So... no evidence? False allegations and parental manipulation to support them in troubled relationships are indeed relatively common, and I never assume that is NOT the case. I also never assume it IS the case. Allen is icky, but I'll just suspend judgement on him as far as illegal sexual acts go. I have no investment in it - I am not a Woody Allen fan. Someone with that kind of story behind him, plus his having a relationship with an adult adopted daughter only tells me that he deserved having people keep a closer eye on him, and that's about it. His history doesn't, IMO, automatically put him in league with Weinstein.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's disgusting that Allen ADOPTED a girl then has a RELATIONSHIP with her.  That is all kinds of fucked up, so yes, I put him in the same category as the others.  That is abusing a form of power you have on others.

No way I'd defend anything of the like from him.  There can be a moral compass attached to this that may swing your idea of him with the others?
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's disgusting that Allen ADOPTED a girl then has a RELATIONSHIP with her.  That is all kinds of fucked up, so yes, I put him in the same category as the others.  That is abusing a form of power you have on others.

No way I'd defend anything of the like from him.  There can be a moral compass attached to this that may swing your idea of him with the others?
    I think it's disgusting too, but it's legal and consensual. I do not put legal and consensual in the same list as illegal and non-consensual no matter how immoral I may personally find someone's legal actions, and I suggest that nobody else should either. It diminishes the severity of the illegal, non-consensual acts. FWIW, I am not defending Woody Allen. I am just looking at it objectively.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • StoveStove Posts: 310
    Here's something I watched about it with a round table of scum...errr i mean hollywood people. But the interesting aspect is the mention of the great equalizer, the almighty dollar, people were paid off. The ideology that everything has a price, scary stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNupDU7Rys
    SSH
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think it's disgusting too, but it's legal and consensual. I do not put legal and consensual in the same list as illegal and non-consensual no matter how immoral I may personally find someone's legal actions, and I suggest that nobody else should either. It diminishes the severity of the illegal, non-consensual acts. FWIW, I am not defending Woody Allen. I am just looking at it objectively.
    I know you aren't defending him, which is why I added the "moral compass" to the conversation.

It always boggles my mind as to "how" both Allen and Soon Yi really started talking about getting together.  
    Barbara WAlters is being dragged through the mud now for when she told Corey Feldman to hush up.

as she should. i watched that a couple days ago and thought "I can say with 100% certainty she would NOT have reacted that way had it been a female on that couch telling that story". I thought how she treated him was disgusting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017

as she should. i watched that a couple days ago and thought "I can say with 100% certainty she would NOT have reacted that way had it been a female on that couch telling that story". I thought how she treated him was disgusting. 
    I think how most people and the media and the general public treat Corey Feldman is disgusting. I think he is one of the most mistreated celebrities of all time. I feel terrible for the poor guy.

• Barbara WAlters is being dragged through the mud now for when she told Corey Feldman to hush up.

I have always believed Feldman with what he has said in the past.  He had ZERO to gain by coming forward about it and also about speaking in favor of Jackson.  A lot of people wanted to quiet him down which is sad.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,425
    umm, what?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41699245?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

A Canadian man was found not guilty of rape because he believed he could have sex with his wife whenever he wanted.

Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert Smith ruled the prosecution failed to prove the accused man knew his behaviour was criminal.

The judge did not dispute that non-consensual sex had taken place multiple times, the Ottawa Citizen reported.

The man, from Gaza, was part of an arranged marriage with his wife, a Palestinian who grew up in Kuwait.

"Marriage is not a shield for sexual assault," Judge Smith wrote in his decision, according to the newspaper.

"However, the issue in this trial is whether, considering the whole of the evidence, the Crown has proven the allegations beyond a reasonable doubt."

continues...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    umm, what?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41699245?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

A Canadian man was found not guilty of rape because he believed he could have sex with his wife whenever he wanted.

Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert Smith ruled the prosecution failed to prove the accused man knew his behaviour was criminal.

The judge did not dispute that non-consensual sex had taken place multiple times, the Ottawa Citizen reported.

The man, from Gaza, was part of an arranged marriage with his wife, a Palestinian who grew up in Kuwait.

"Marriage is not a shield for sexual assault," Judge Smith wrote in his decision, according to the newspaper.

"However, the issue in this trial is whether, considering the whole of the evidence, the Crown has proven the allegations beyond a reasonable doubt."

continues...

what the actual fuck? I always thought ignorance of the law was not a defence???? don't show this to @Thirty Bills Unpaid. :dizzy:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyrat said:
    umm, what?

continues...

what the actual fuck? I always thought ignorance of the law was not a defence???? don't show this to @Thirty Bills Unpaid. :dizzy:

Lol

He'll regret his behaviour when the judge denies him Tims for two weeks. It's hockey card season too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    this director James Toback might be worse than Weinstein in some ways.  he was approaching girls on the street and at their places of work and teasing them with possible acting roles leading to sexual harassment and assault. what a fucking creep.  i don't get people.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    pjhawks said:
    this director James Toback might be worse than Weinstein in some ways.  he was approaching girls on the street and at their places of work and teasing them with possible acting roles leading to sexual harassment and assault. what a fucking creep.  i don't get people.

He's another case that was well known for years. The LA Times story notes that Spy magazine ran a story on him in... 1989? I remember reading it.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Well at least some are starting to break their NDAs to expose the shit that was covered up for years. Honestly, the attorneys who represented Weinstein are almost bigger scum. What soulless enablers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harvey-weinstein-assistant-breaks-nda-details-history-cover-ups-1051258
    It's a hopeless situation...
    pjhawks said:

He's another case that was well known for years. The LA Times story notes that Spy magazine ran a story on him in... 1989? I remember reading it.

And the LA Times reporter who wrote this story says that, since it broke, nearly TWO HUNDRED additional women have contacted him about James Toback.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    last night my daughter put on The Nut Job. As it started, I noticed "The Weinstein Company" in the opening credits. Seriously, I felt bad for watching it. Should I?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• last night my daughter put on The Nut Job. As it started, I noticed "The Weinstein Company" in the opening credits. Seriously, I felt bad for watching it. Should I?
    No. Not all people applying their trade to the production of such molest women.

Weinstein is getting his due (albeit overdue).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    last night my daughter put on The Nut Job. As it started, I noticed "The Weinstein Company" in the opening credits. Seriously, I felt bad for watching it. Should I?
    I don't think so.  There are so many people that work for these companies that have zero to do with the events and are blameless.  I didn't cancel my Well Fargo accounts after the shit they were up to.. I've been around long enough to know that the people that get hurt are not the execs, it's the staff.  
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Just skip the credits like everyone else, problem solved!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited October 2017
    No. It's just not even realistic to boycott all things related to Weinstein. It would be like the entertainment equivalent of boycotting all things that have any connection to oil, lol. And as mrussel1 said, most of the people involved with all those things are not sex criminals. We don't want to screw everyone in the industry for one man's sins.
  • Seems like a lot of people knew and did nothing. Joe Paterno was fired and disgraced for the same sort of thing.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited October 2017
    Seems like a lot of people knew and did nothing. Joe Paterno was fired and disgraced for the same sort of thing.
    Yes... as is the case throughout society. I don't think that people knowing and doing nothing is news at all. That is the norm when it comes to this kind of thing. The good thing about high profile incidents of this incredibly common problem is that it throws light on the fact that the problem is rampant everywhere.... I'm sure there must be a lot of people in normal life rethinking their decisions to stay silent about someone they know who sexually harasses or abuses people.
    I must say that I don't like this overriding attitude of "Hollywood is so fucked up" in this context, as though there is something exceptional about it. No. Hollywood is actually just like so many other industries in our society. It simply has a bigger spotlight on it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJ_Soul said:
    Seems like a lot of people knew and did nothing. Joe Paterno was fired and disgraced for the same sort of thing.
    Yes... as is the case throughout society. I don't think that people knowing and doing nothing is news at all. That is the norm when it comes to this kind of thing. The good thing about high profile incidents of this incredibly common problem is that it throws light on the fact that the problem is rampant everywhere.... I'm sure there must be a lot of people in normal life rethinking their decisions to stay silent about someone they know who sexually harasses or abuses people.
    I must say that I don't like this overriding attitude of "Hollywood is so fucked up" in this context, as though there is something exceptional about it. No. Hollywood is actually just like so many other industries in our society. It simply has a bigger spotlight on it.
    Bingo.. powerful old men exploiting young women and harassing them for their own gain is not new in human nature.  All of western Europe was built on these principles.  
    PJ_Soul said:

Wherever there is a lot of money/ power/ opportunity to protect, people will be quiet. I hope that that is going to change, but I'm not optimistic. I know damn well that plenty of these predators still are out there, making money for themselves and others, while their bad acts are overlooked or covered up.