Options

R.I.P. Tom Petty

2»

Comments

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    edited October 2017
    igotid88 said:
    So many of our rock stars are dying in their 50s and 60s lately. You'd think we'd have them for another 20 or 30 years
    After Bowie and Prince a friend said to me that a lot of our icons are going to start dropping more frequently now due to their heavy partying lifestyles when they were younger. And some who continue to have dangerous vices.

That being said, it's time we start worrying about how we are going to leave the planet for Keith Richards.
    :lol:
    Post edited by RogueStoner on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,743
    So sad.  PJ and Tom Petty at Summerfest in 2006 is prob my favorite show of all time.  Glad I got to see him a few times over the years...one of the best ever.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    So many of our rock stars are dying in their 50s and 60s lately. You'd think we'd have them for another 20 or 30 years
    After Bowie and Prince a friend said to me that a lot of our icons are going to start dropping more frequently now due to their heavy partying lifestyles when they were younger. And some who continue to have dangerous vices.

That being said, it's time we start worrying about how we are going to leave the planet for Keith Richards.
    Haha!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited October 2017
    igotid88 said:

There is that... I guess we also need to keep in mind that half of the population dies younger than the average lifespan. Not to be grim or anything, but... brace yourselves everyone. It's only going to pick up from here and it's not going to stop. Most of us are just at that age now, when we're going to see pretty much every single one of the musicians we've grown up loving die, and then our own peers will start dropping too. :frowning: I know we all know that... but it's easy to forget... I'm not sure if it's good or not so good to live in this kind of denial. One the one hand, it does no one any good to avoid their emotions ... but if we greet each loss like this with any serious level of misery, that could be damaging as well. I guess trying to deal with these kinds of losses takes a bit of an emotional balancing act once it starts happening frequently, which it will.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    igotid88 said:

There is that... I guess we also need to keep in mind that half of the population dies younger than the average lifespan. Not to be grim or anything, but... brace yourselves everyone. It's only going to pick up from here and it's not going to stop. Most of us are just at that age now, when we're going to see pretty much every single one of the musicians we've grown up loving die, and then our own peers will start dropping too. :frowning: I know we all know that... but it's easy to forget... I'm not sure if it's good or not so good to live in this kind of denial. One the one hand, it does no one any good to avoid their emotions ... but if we greet each loss like this with any serious level of misery, that could be damaging as well. I guess trying to deal with these kinds of losses takes a bit of an emotional balancing act once it starts happening frequently, which it will.
    Gee, thanks! Now I'm all stressed out over your post. Way to shorten my lifespan, PJS! ;)

On a serious note...I'd much rather treat each loss like the tragic event that it is (my health be damned), than become numb to it, as I think so many people are.  But everyone grieves differently.  For example, I make inappropriate jokes.  It's my way of momentarily escaping the heartache I feel.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I mourn as I need...and am realistic in the knowledge that death comes no matter what.  Some - those a huge part of my "real" life, like my dad, or those a huge part of my musical or artistic life, like Carlin or Harrison or Petty - give me no choice but to cry my fucking eyes out for as long as needed.

That the lives I treasure can be lost in an instant or over a dreadfully-long time is never forgotten by me.  Death is part of life.

And it still fucking sucks.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    igotid88 said:

Gee, thanks! Now I'm all stressed out over your post. Way to shorten my lifespan, PJS! ;)

On a serious note...I'd much rather treat each loss like the tragic event that it is (my health be damned), than become numb to it, as I think so many people are.  But everyone grieves differently.  For example, I make inappropriate jokes.  It's my way of momentarily escaping the heartache I feel.
    I definitely don't think becoming numb to it is a good option either! That's why it's a balancing act. One needn't become numb to learn how to kind of accept it as a part of life, rather than being jolted into a sense of depression and misery every time it happens. Not when it's going to happen as often as it's going to.... I think all people need to find this balance when it comes to dealing with the deaths of our peers who aren't actually in our lives personally. Otherwise we'll end up in a constant state of depression/heartache, and we don't want that. The goal needs to be to find some sort of peace in the loss IMO, especially as we deal with getting closer to our own inevitable demise (or to just get as close to that as possible - it's not easy of course, and I'm not claiming to have mastered this, lol. I wish.). I do think inappropriate jokes are one fantastic way to find that balance, FWIW. ;) And yeah Hedo, it does fucking suck. Big time.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^ Good point.  It still is a blow each time, especially if it's someone that was instrumental in shaping our youth with their music (or any art).  But I agree...at our age, we'd better get used to this.  Still hard, so hard.

The thought of losing someone close to me at any given time almost paralyzes me with fear.  
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Out of everyone, seen PJ the most, then the Who, then TP and the HBs. Very sad news. What a catalogue of hit after hit. My prayers to his loved ones. 
  • Options
    Image may contain one or more people
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    PJ_Soul said:
    igotid88 said:

The average lifespan for males in my generation (I'm about 10 months younger than Petty was) is somewhere around 78.  But I've read it's falling.  I don't know if that's due to more pollution (industrial) or getting more polluted (recreational) when we were younger.  I'm sure I burned a few years off.  Really get's you to thinking.  Damn.  Poof!  Just like that.  T.P.'s loss was a gut punch.  But at the same time I guess we could say every day is icing on the cake.   Get some miles out of each one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,502
    RIP Mr Petty..a big thanks..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    My first real concert and a lifetime of memories associated with the different songs of this amazing artist.

RIP
  • Options
    Still heavily bummed about losing T.P.  It'll be a while before I can listen to any of his stuff.  It will happen, but not now.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    A drop from the ocean
    A tear from the heart
    All my love
    Has gone away
    Here we remain
    Waiting
    Any sign
    To reconcile
    hurt when i believe
    Without you now
    I'm so alone

Fly now
  • Options