Options

Sound Quality of "Lets Play Two"

stevedsteved Posts: 651
edited October 2017 in The Porch
The sound quality on this CD for "Let's Play Two" and the last couple of vault releases, and "Live on Two Legs" if you go back and listen is SOOOO far superior, and much better mixed than any of the "official concert bootleg releases". I am happy as I attended and am enjoying listening to it, however it is somewhat of a backhanded compliment. 

The bootleg series are not released right away anymore. They were putting them out slowly compared to the old days. Plenty of time to mix and master them properly. Although I am grateful for them, I don't understand why the quality has such a huge variance. For those who don't have a descerning ear, and just want to relive the show you were at, I am not looking to get slammed. There is a serious difference! I hope at least the complete Wrigley shows are mixed and mastered the same as the "Let's Play Two" tracks are. 

I'm not anywhere near the same RHCP fan as I am a PJ fan, but every time I listen to one of their official boots It kills me. The sound quality blows ours away. They put them out much faster. Especially the drums. 

Just an observation...
1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

Post edited by steved on

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    I agree. I was really pleased to listen to the LP2 soundtrack and hear a great mix. I too have been baffled by the varying quality over the years, especially after they started so strong with the mass release of boots a few days after the show in the early 00's. I think a low point was 08. Those were rough at times and there's still some muddy years since then. 13 was the last really consistent year. I did think 16 seemed better than 14 or 15, but again, nothing like the vaults or earlier bootleg releases. It seems they have gone through quite a few different sources over the years so that's probably part of it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    One day i will hear this Lets Play Two album that you all speak of.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    Way better than I thought it would be. Although, I've read there was some over dubbing in places for Small Town and I've Got A Feeling. Didn't notice it at first.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,585
    Yeah it was impressive. 2011 boots were very muddy. But they really brought it cause it was Wrigley too.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Side D has some clicks and pops 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The Euro leg of the 2000 boots are the best of any official bootleg released, imo.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    The Euro leg of the 2000 boots are the best of any official bootleg released, imo.
    2000 Euro Drums are definitely loudest in mix, but some shows there are not enough bass mixed in at all. Completely different sound then USA 2000 and everything after. I love how crisp Euro 2000 sounds! 
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    tbergs said:
    Way better than I thought it would be. Although, I've read there was some over dubbing in places for Small Town and I've Got A Feeling. Didn't notice it at first.
    Yes, Small Town definitely has a correction where he muffs a lyric, He also came in a little soft on the mic right before and they left that in and just raised the volume on the mix. I've Got A feeling has a chunk missing of the song. It is just edited out. Towards the end when they go around "everybody had a good year / everybody misses Andy" etc.. that part is only played one time. They just removed an entire chorus and bridge. It is done very well where you would not notice (but we notice everything) lol 

• Options
    Yeah I just got the two RHCP shows I went to in Dublin a couple of weeks ago and the sound quality is great. 

The Euro boots in 2000 are exceptional - if not a little lower sound range than later boots. Some of the shows in 08 were pretty poor. I liked the mix of the last batch of Lightning Bolt tour boots. I'm really happy with the quality of the vinyl release of LP2, thankfully. I do also love to mix in Live on 2 legs.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    steved said:
    The sound quality on this CD for "Let's Play Two" and the last couple of vault releases, and "Live on Two Legs" if you go back and listen is SOOOO far superior, and much better mixed than any of the "official concert bootleg releases". I am happy as I attended and am enjoying listening to it, however it is somewhat of a backhanded compliment. 

The bootleg series are not released right away anymore. They were putting them out slowly compared to the old days. Plenty of time to mix and master them properly. Although I am grateful for them, I don't understand why the quality has such a huge variance. For those who don't have a descerning ear, and just want to relive the show you were at, I am not looking to get slammed. There is a serious difference! I hope at least the complete Wrigley shows are mixed and mastered the same as the "Let's Play Two" tracks are. 

I'm not anywhere near the same RHCP fan as I am a PJ fan, but every time I listen to one of their official boots It kills me. The sound quality blows ours away. They put them out much faster. Especially the drums. 

Just an observation...
    There’s more space for the drums & guitar to shine in RHCPs boots compared to PJ’s 3 guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals. The separation is good on PJ boots, but compared to a band with 1-2 less instruments going on, yeah, there will be differences at the instrument level on up in the mix/master process. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    steved said:

Just an observation...
    There’s more space for the drums & guitar to shine in RHCPs boots compared to PJ’s 3 guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, vocals. The separation is good on PJ boots, but compared to a band with 1-2 less instruments going on, yeah, there will be differences at the instrument level on up in the mix/master process. 
    Nailed it, man. There's a lot going on at a PJ show that I've never noticed in live RHCP videos. More instruments. More background vocals. 
    Also, do the RHCP have a diverse set every night, or is it pretty much the same thing every night. I'd assume if it's the same, that an engineer can get dialed in on a mix, make small adjustments for the venue they're playing in and still have pretty much the same quality as previous shows. I don't follow RHCP, so I don't know their sets. If it's different every night, discard this whole paragraph. 
  • Options
    Nailed it, man. There's a lot going on at a PJ show that I've never noticed in live RHCP videos. More instruments. More background vocals. 
    Also, do the RHCP have a diverse set every night, or is it pretty much the same thing every night. I'd assume if it's the same, that an engineer can get dialed in on a mix, make small adjustments for the venue they're playing in and still have pretty much the same quality as previous shows. I don't follow RHCP, so I don't know their sets. If it's different every night, discard this whole paragraph. 
    Not nearly as varied as PJ. They play 16 songs a night and you're pretty much guaranteed guaranteed 'dark necessities', 'californication', 'go robot', 'by the way', 'goodbye angels' and 'give it away'. Apart from that they have a relatively varied set. I saw them both nights in Dublin and apart from those 6 songs, the songs the second night were different. They probably have a rotation of about 35 songs or so. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    That telecaster Ed plays just doesn’t sound good in the mix. I miss the 03’ days when he played SGs! Bite, Bite, CHOMP!! Mmmm!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    steved said:

Just an observation...
    I was just using RHCP as an example. It is a level of crispness, dynamic range and attention to detail. You can compare them to other bands Official SBDs with multiple guitars, or the more relevant comparison I was making was them to themselves. If you compare the mix on the audio from Touring band 2000 audio, Live on Two Legs, Lets Play Two, or the latest vaults, the crispness on the drums on the Euro 2000 boots it is night and day to the  regular boot releases. It is not about too many instruments to get a crisp mix. They have proven they can do that when they choose to is my point.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    What I heard ona cursory listen sounded good, but the audience sounded artificial and it seems like the music is notably polished up.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,151
    As a fan and consumer, I'm critical of songs being polished up for the film. However, I also realize that it IS a soundtrack, and polished/edited/embroidered versions of the songs might work better than the warts-and-all show versions. 
  • Options
    willc431994willc431994 Australia Posts: 201
    edited October 2017
    But why fade out each track? Completely kills the live flow. 

Post edited by willc431994 on
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

Exactly what I feel!  They could have a much better "even flow" throughout the 17 songs.  I like the songs but it just sounds like a 17 song cd - oh well.....

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited October 2017

So casual fans can purchase single tracks on iTunes?

To be honest, I would have thought that they'd would just put out a "Greatest Hits Live" version of this since they hardcore fans would just go out and buy the official bootlegs in a month or so. 

I suppose the higher sound quality and vinyl editions kind of shoots down my theory but...
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,469
    DewieCox said:
    What I heard ona cursory listen sounded good, but the audience sounded artificial and it seems like the music is notably polished up.
    They did the same thing for LO2L.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    The Fenway boots sound great and those came out within weeks of the shows. I think anyone concerned with sound quality is going to be pleased when the full Wrigley shows are released.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    The Fenway boots sound great and those came out within weeks of the shows. I think anyone concerned with sound quality is going to be pleased when the full Wrigley shows are released.
    The Fenway's sounded very good for their typical releases, and for a stadium show where it would presumably be more challenging to control the sound, however the sound quality on this is at a much higher level of separation and mastering. I hope you are correct. I just feel that the extra care that goes into the vaults and this release can be used in their normal releases.

Somebody referenced "Inside Job" The sound quality on it is much better compared to the normal boots. It is a quality of sound issue not just the mixing of instruments, the tones are much better. The vocals are like silk through the air in the beginning.The dynamic range when the drums kick in are crisp and punchy not mushy. The hi-hat tones are bright, but not intrusive to the sound of the snare drum. The snare has a tone with the some crack to it, not just a thud to it.  

Just my descriptions of what I am hearing.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    DewieCox said:
    They did the same thing for LO2L.
    Not surprising, but they didn’t stray too far from the actual sound. This one feels a little more substantial in that regard. This is easily the slickest production in any of the wide released live album. The Gorge and ‘03 boots have pretty typical production for the eras. Doesn’t bother me, as very few live albums are fully live. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    edited October 2017
    DewieCox said:
    ARE WE HAVING A KISS ALIVE SITUATION ON OUR HANDS? 

;)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Received mine today- I always listen anyway when @steved posts because he really knows his stuff, but it really sounds great to me too.  I had just listened to vault 6 this past weekend and thought how great it sounded and this is just as good!!

as a side note, the jacket is superb.  Sturdy glossy and matte.  Always so annoying when the jackets are flimsy and concave in the centers...blah blah blah, but you know what I mean.  The soft touch is cool of course but the raised photos and lettering is awesome.  Anyway, I'm super impressed, 10c, this is a great release- you've set the bar high.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372

I cannot agree more with this !! Why did they do that ?!  Mystifying . Also why wasn't the whole set on the cd ? Did I miss something there ? I understand you can't fit it all into the movie , but the audio should of had the complete show.

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    joebot said:

I cannot agree more with this !! Why did they do that ?!  Mystifying . Also why wasn't the whole set on the cd ? Did I miss something there ? I understand you can't fit it all into the movie , but the audio should of had the complete show.

Next month (just not on vinyl).
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    oh cool ! Thanks for clarifying.