Let's Play Two Fanviews Here

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,891
edited September 2017 in Given To Fly (live)
https://youtu.be/B85SIjDZ_Jw

https://pearljam.com/letsplaytwo/

Please share your experiences of documentary film Let’s Play Two here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you!

Please use the official discussion thread for non-Fanview Let's Play Two conversation. Thank you :)
http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266499/lets-play-two-updated#latest

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,534
    Such a wonderful film!  The parts with John and bringing it back to Release later, the Steve Gleason/Inside Job portion, Corduroy while the Cubs are winning the pennant, "I Believe in Miracles" talk on the radio after the Cubs are down 3-1 then the clip of the song on the roof, Alive after forcing game 7, the Murphy family,Eddie talking about 45 years of fandom leading up to game 7, and so on...  I could go on and on, but I already have.  Great stuff, thank you to everyone involved!  Visually stunning, and feel extremely lucky to have experienced it at the Metro through their system and mixed by Brett, and also on the night the Cubs clinch another playoff berth.  Curious to see how my Cleveland friends feel about it all.  Can't wait to watch again!
  • Hi Sea...i just tried to purchase tickets to the Toronto and Oshawa shows in Ontario (Canada) and Cineplex website is saying the the movie is not playing there.  What's up with that??????  Can you clarify if or where it is playing? Thanks!
    Toronto II 2006/Lollapolooza 2007/MSG I 2008/MSG II 2008/Cleveland 2010/Buffalo 2010
    EV Solo Montreal I/EV Solo Toronto I
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    Hi Sea...i just tried to purchase tickets to the Toronto and Oshawa shows in Ontario (Canada) and Cineplex website is saying the the movie is not playing there.  What's up with that??????  Can you clarify if or where it is playing? Thanks!
    Wrong thread! I PM'd you the details. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    I bought tix for next Tuesday in Indy....can't wait
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Curious if any pre-parties. Hitting Port Chester tonight. Super excited!
  • JM84420JM84420 Backstage Posts: 48
    Metro in Chicago had concert speakers set up on both sides of the screen. A guy came out and gave a brief into and after too. Great sound, nice and loud.  Could have even been louder though. Free poster and all tickets enter a raffle too. Lots of Cubs highlights in the movie. Lived up the the hype! 
  • PearlJamPeetPearlJamPeet Posts: 2
    edited September 2017
    WOW!! What a great movie. Just watched it in Rotterdam. Loved it. The band, the songs, the fans. For everyone who has tickets: enjoy and have fun!
    Post edited by PearlJamPeet on
  • wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,298
    JM84420 said:
    Metro in Chicago had concert speakers set up on both sides of the scr Ieen. A guy came out and gave a brief into and after too. Great sound, nice and loud.  Could have even been louder though. Free poster and all tickets enter a raffle too. Lots of Cubs highlights in the movie. Lived up the the hype! 
    Tim Bierman was who came out. He runs 10C.  
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,756
    You can really get a sense of the tight-knit relationships Eddie, the Cubs, the Metro and Murphys all had during last year's shows and playoffs. Lots of fans represented in the film of both the band and the Cubs, entertaining interviews and didn't take away from the concert footage. Awesome to see John get screen time in the film, the guy was genuinely nice and deserved some love. Murphy's rooftop segments were shot wonderfully. Even the old footage we've seen of Eddie in '92 walking around Wrigley felt like it was new. I was concerned about the setlist selection at first but it does flow nicely with the film's narrative and pacing.

There's very little to be upset about as a film, although I'm sure like many others I would really appreciate some way to get full shows as well (but it looks like the extras will give us some more songs). But really, it was well worth the wait to see this all put together.

The Metro experience last night was great (especially since I was also there to watch game 7), and worth working a long day on little sleep today. both in the film and at the event, and having the Cubs clinch the division made it all . Thanks for doing the screenings for the homecrowd, much appreciated.
  • Seen the movie last night in Rotterdam, it was just great, the sound was really good and everyone had a great time.
    Cub fans are awesome and the music even more.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    edited September 2017
    Went to The Capitol in Port Chester NY last night. Pretty decent crowd.  We sat in the back row so we could do the semi sit / stand and Im glad we did.  Freedom to do a little rockin out (well more of a head bobbing and a lil wiggle here and there; I mean it is a movie after all) without bothering a neighbor. 
    I'm not a baseball fan but it was interesting and it balanced well.  I loved seeing the PJ community, big sweeping shots of the crowds and how the band interacts with each other. The sound was spot on which is why I spent 20 bucks to see it at the iconic Cap.  It was worth seeing on the big screen.  I really liked it, no  one will be disappointed!

I'm adding I think you will really have to HATE The Cubs to not like this movie :hang_loose:
    Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    Did they include any of the stories Ed told during the shows?  That was one of my favourite parts of attending the shows, was the stories.   Really made it feel like a hometown show.  I was hoping some of that would make the movie :)
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    ^ Not much of the stories made it in the film. 
  • Outside of Long Beach Art Theatre. No staff seems to be around for 1:30 show. Doors locked. Standing outside with a few others. Any place to go for help?
  • The guy showed up :)  #Empathy
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,891

Please use the official discussion thread for non-Fanview Let's Play Two conversation. Thank you
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/266499/lets-play-two-updated#latest
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Charlotte, NC Posts: 371
    My wife and I have tickets Oct. 3rd in Charlotte.   I'll let you know how it goes.  The vinyl came in the mail Monday.  We've been enjoying that for a few days.
    I'm like a tab
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Only flipped through these as just been down and booked my seat.. Told the missus I've was booking a seat for a romantic night for her birthday lol.. Good job she thinks Mr Vedder is hot lol 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    I'm gonna be in Oklahoma City on the 3rd.  Got tickets to the local Harkins (or wherever it's showing).  Anyone want to meet up for a drink or two beforehand?
  • Extraordinary film, captures so well what holds our "family" together, more than the music, it's the spirit of hope, love, commitment, community...  all brought together with such power and precision by Danny Clinch.  The multiple parallels between fan, band, and team reverberate almost beyond imagination.  I love this movie.  Thank you, to everyone involved!
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I'll be seeing it in Red Bank on the 3rd!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    I liked it. We saw it at a local Drive-In last night. They brought in a Pearl Jam cover band to play before the film. It was much more of an experience than it was just seeing a movie.

As for the film itself, it's very well done. Beautifully shot, great sound, great stories about the Cubs. I will say that I was wrong about how much of a focus the Cubs would be. I enjoyed that part, but if you have an aversion to the Cubs or to baseball you may not.

Highlight for me was the Ernie Banks footage from 2013 since that was the only Wrigley show I was at.

It's one part concert film, one part love letter to the Cubs. But the band playing the concert is Pearl Jam and the guy writing the love letter is Eddie Vedder. If you are a fan of this band you'll enjoy Let's Play Two.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 90
    edited October 2017
    mca47 said:
    I'm gonna be in Oklahoma City on the 3rd.  Got tickets to the local Harkins (or wherever it's showing).  Anyone want to meet up for a drink or two beforehand?

we'll be seeing the movie at harkins as well. not sure we could meet up before hand, but possibly after? whiskey chicks? bricktown brewery? it'll be me, my wife, and a friend.

Post edited by Adam Hewett on
  • Curious to hear some fan views from any Cleveland Indians fans who had to suffer the crushing game seven loss to the Cubs and now have it immortalized in a film by your favorite band. 

Im seeing the film tomorrow in Cleveland. Hopefully I still enjoy it!
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    Saw it yesterday (sunday) here in Seattle. There was maybe 15 of us in the theater. So I was surprised it was so empty. I really liked it.
    Sounded & looked great on the big screen. I could do with less fan interviews and constant cuts to fans rocking and zoning out to the music. Call me a curmudgeon but that stuff takes me out of the music and my own trip with it. It's definitely cubs/baseball heavy but I love baseball and my wifes a cubs fan so I was fine with that. Of course any time you can see the boys do their thing especially on a huge movie screen with killer sound, its well worth it. That said I agree a blu ray packed with extras & more songs is most definitely needed.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    Just left the indy showing... Full theater

Loved it, my only complaint would be some of the songs selected but that's just me trying to find something to bitch about.

The sound in the theater was awful 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    Just left the Edgewater, NJ showing. About 75 people in the theater. Really enjoyed the film and reliving the experience at Wrigley. 

Theather guy was even cool enough to give me the movie poster since no one had asked him for it 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 698
    Fun movie.  Great to hang with my touring buddies and see the boys on the big screen.
     I don't need to see it again.  Love Eddie but this was too much eddie for a Pearl Jam documentary.  
    Bring on the 2018 tour
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Just saw it in Dallas at The Magnolia.  Really enjoyed it. Danny Clinch did a great job.

The sound though was not good. Really really loud and tinny. It was painful at times. Hopefully that was the fault of the theaters sound system and it will be fine on the blu ray.
  • LOVED IT.
    Band, sound, cinematography, feeling, memories ... all great.
    Get to lock in on band, concerts during live performances. But also a lot of very nice and personal collage moments.
    It's different than previous PJ movies and not what was initially expected. But I think it's going to age really well and be very special in 20 years. It's going to stand out, simply because of how special the Wrigley shows were and the Cubs' first WS in 108 years.
    Wish it was 3 hours and had more songs. But that's what the Blu-Ray is for.
    Easily their best shot video. The live footage is fantastic.
    Thanks again, PJ!