Tax Reform

2»

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 8,705
    You know - with the estate tax thing...I know it only applies to very few people.  And they are super rich.  But still...I don;t think it's the right thing to tax.  I honestly don't see how it's an ok thing to do.  So - even though it only helps a very small %, I'm for that being abolished.  It will never help me, but doesn;t mean I cant think it's still the right thing to do.

I still have to get into this deeper.  On the surface, I'm not a huge fan of the plan.  I personally am against a tax plan which doesn't lower the % paid for by everyone really and this plan has some staying the same or actually going up some.  Which is nuts since it's not the top of the bunch.  

I'd really just like a flat tax on income...with a strict level where non is charged (low income) and then increase consumption taxes.
    hippiemom = goodness
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Stated differently: why is a tax payer punished for not having children?

Still doesn't make sense to me. 
    This might help

http://www.epi.org/publication/ib370-earned-income-tax-credit-and-the-child-tax-credit-history-purpose-goals-and-effectiveness/

"The credit was adopted because Congress believed that the personal exemptions for dependents ($2,550 in 1996) did not “reduce tax liability by enough to reflect a family’s reduced ability to pay taxes as family size increases” (Joint Committee on Taxation 1997, 6). "

Kids are expensive and make it difficult to pay taxes.  So if you have kids, you should get to pay less taxes simply because they're expensive?

Sorry, still doesn't make sense to me.  
    Cause you are actually contributing to the future of the human race and all.  Not just spending it on booze and vinyl. ;)

I understand your position here, though I disagree.  These same arguments have been made about employees with kids vs those without in the workforce alot and the different benefits each seem to receive.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 2,794
    edited October 3
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 5,818
    You know - with the estate tax thing...I know it only applies to very few people.  And they are super rich.  But still...I don;t think it's the right thing to tax.  I honestly don't see how it's an ok thing to do.  So - even though it only helps a very small %, I'm for that being abolished.  It will never help me, but doesn;t mean I cant think it's still the right thing to do.

I still have to get into this deeper.  On the surface, I'm not a huge fan of the plan.  I personally am against a tax plan which doesn't lower the % paid for by everyone really and this plan has some staying the same or actually going up some.  Which is nuts since it's not the top of the bunch.  

I'd really just like a flat tax on income...with a strict level where non is charged (low income) and then increase consumption taxes.
    We already don't pay our bills, why support everyone paying even less taxes then they do now?

We already don't pay our bills, why support everyone paying even less taxes then they do now?
    That is a fair statement.  I was just speaking about the tax plan specifically by itself.  But you are correct, it is really apart of the overall budget.  And yes, I believe that the budget should actually be balanced.  So for me, tax cuts would come with spending cuts.  BUt that's not how either party does it once they have power.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom'sPosts: 6,450

The estate tax theory is to keep personal wealth under control.  By taxing estates you keep power in check.

The exemption used to be $600K....now it's over $5Million
    Former BernieBro, turned Hillary rotten Clinton #1 Fanboy

1998: Noblesville
    2003: Noblesville
    2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville
    2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago
    2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1

The estate tax theory is to keep personal wealth under control.  By taxing estates you keep power in check.

I'm still not sure why it's ok to take $ that someone has earned in their lifetime away because they died.  You've already taxed it in other ways, likely more than once.  If I had that $...when I died, I'd sure as shit want it to go to my family instead of the government.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom'sPosts: 6,450
    edited October 4

I'm still not sure why it's ok to take $ that someone has earned in their lifetime away because they died.  You've already taxed it in other ways, likely more than once.  If I had that $...when I died, I'd sure as shit want it to go to my family instead of the government.  
    Well...the first $5million would go tax free.  The estate tax is meant to encourage consumption or gifting in order to avoid the estate tax.

Give the money to family before death.  Give the money to charity before death or via will.  If you don't....you pay tax.

Remember that all property is stepped up to market value at date of death....that's another kicker
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Former BernieBro, turned Hillary rotten Clinton #1 Fanboy

1998: Noblesville
    2003: Noblesville
    2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville
    2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago
    2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USAPosts: 2,201
    edited October 11

i consider myself rich.  i have everything i need and then some.  i'm okay with the estate tax.  i don't want my grandkids and great grand kids growing up entitled.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
    vaggar99 said:

i consider myself rich.  i have everything i need and then some.  i'm okay with the estate tax.  i don't want my grandkids and great grand kids growing up entitled.
    So - since you are ok with it, then it's ok for everyone?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via ChicagoPosts: 2,967
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16
2»