Off the Radar.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 21,351
Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

"LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

Unknown to the boys, a bomb had exploded in another car.

“I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

“One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."




We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
***********
M.I.T.S.

Comments

  • brianlux said:
    Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

    To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

    "LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

    Unknown to the boys, a bomb had exploded in another car.

    “I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

    “One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

    The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."




    Yes I read about this and yes it got very little out of us here.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,930
    edited September 26
    brianlux said:
    Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

    To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

    "LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

    Unknown to the boys, a bomb had exploded in another car.

    “I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

    “One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

    The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."




    Was this really "off the radar" in the US? This got HUGE amounts of coverage in Canada. Well, in any case, nobody was killed, thankfully, so that is probably why it didn't get as much coverage as terrorist attacks in countries where the majority of people are white usually do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 21,351
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

    To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

    "LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

    Unknown to the boys, a bomb had exploded in another car.

    “I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

    “One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

    The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."




    Was this really "off the radar" in the US? This got HUGE amounts of coverage in Canada. Well, in any case, nobody was killed, thankfully, so that is probably why it didn't get as much coverage as terrorist attacks in countries where the majority of people are white usually do.
    Everything in the US is off the radar unless it is about US. 

    Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but not much.  We are Narcissist Nation.
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,930
    I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 21,351
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    And even Houston, with its crocs and bacteria and 10 million square feet of rotting sheet- what do we hear?  Nada.
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,930
    edited September 27
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    And even Houston, with its crocs and bacteria and 10 million square feet of rotting sheet- what do we hear?  Nada.
    For sure. SO many scary warnings that nobody seems to care about. All over the board. There is a big concern about the massive explosion of the mosquito population and how that will spread disease, Zika for example, and yeah, all the chemicals and pollution, etc etc etc. Not to mention the consequences on mental health.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via ChicagoPosts: 3,265
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    And even Houston, with its crocs and bacteria and 10 million square feet of rotting sheet- what do we hear?  Nada.
    There's always the astrodome...

    tRump is America's Katrina
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 21,351
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Puerto Rico is farther off the radar than I would have expected - I mean, Houston probably got at least 4 times the coverage, while the situation was never nearly as dire overall (not to diminish the damage and loss in Houston, but still).
    And even Houston, with its crocs and bacteria and 10 million square feet of rotting sheet- what do we hear?  Nada.
    There's always the astrodome...

    tRump is America's Katrina
    Yeah, speaking of bacteria... TheRump!
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 928
    brianlux:
    Everything in the US is off the radar unless it is about US.  
    Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but not much.  We are Narcissist Nation.
    Yeah, speaking of bacteria... TheRump!

    I read an artikle earlier about the Trumpet. After 4 days he finally (if needed at all) called our German Chancellor to congratulate for getting reelected. 
    You know... it's not an issue at all that he won't call like others do, just because it's good behaviour or whatever ;)
    According to the governments speaker the main reason was politics about Northkorea and Iran... haha... so he just quickly mentioned it.
    But seriously, the Artikel wasn't blaming him or something, it just made clear that nobody was expecting his call anymore...
    And hey: It wouldn't have been the Trumpet if he didn't mention the longtime great and close relationship between our Countries and the common fight for peace and prosperity..... :o  After making all the relationships over the world so difficult...
    Too bad the article is written in German. 

    So yes Brian... he is a bacteria... 
    I know it's actually not worth talking about, but it just would not make it's way over the big ocean...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 21,351
    kce8 said:
    brianlux:
    Everything in the US is off the radar unless it is about US.  
    Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but not much.  We are Narcissist Nation.
    Yeah, speaking of bacteria... TheRump!

    I read an artikle earlier about the Trumpet. After 4 days he finally (if needed at all) called our German Chancellor to congratulate for getting reelected. 
    You know... it's not an issue at all that he won't call like others do, just because it's good behaviour or whatever ;)
    According to the governments speaker the main reason was politics about Northkorea and Iran... haha... so he just quickly mentioned it.
    But seriously, the Artikel wasn't blaming him or something, it just made clear that nobody was expecting his call anymore...
    And hey: It wouldn't have been the Trumpet if he didn't mention the longtime great and close relationship between our Countries and the common fight for peace and prosperity..... :o  After making all the relationships over the world so difficult...
    Too bad the article is written in German. 

    So yes Brian... he is a bacteria... 
    I know it's actually not worth talking about, but it just would not make it's way over the big ocean...
    Trumpet man will only make calls if he has to save face.  But then again, I'm guessing a lot people wouldn't want to hear from him anyway.

    It's not that hard to know what is going on in the world but it takes more than listening to CNN or FOX or whatever.  It helps to check out places like The Guardian, BBC News, Democracy Today.

    And, of course, The Onion.  :lol:
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,930
    There was an terrorist attack in Edmonton, Alberta on Saturday night. Cop attacked and civilians run over. Very much under the radar, obviously, and was before last night happened too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 171
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Wow- there is so much craziness in the world these days!  If the idea for this thread doesn't fly, that's cool with me, but I thought I'd give it a try-- a place to post significant events that are overshadowed by other, more "newsworthy" events (some of which really are, some of which perhaps not so).

    To start with, here's an article about an explosion a few days ago on the London Underground. As far as I can recall, we have not discussed this one yet.   I know of someone who was on this train, someone who is close to someone I am close to.  Thankfully, that person is OK.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/world/europe/uk-london-underground-tube-explosion.html

    "LONDON — Alex Ojeda-Sierra, 13, was on the train to school with a friend when they heard screaming and saw passengers running past.

    Unknown to the boys, a bomb had exploded in another car.

    “I dropped my bag and we started running,” Alex, who attends the London Oratory School, said from a wheelchair at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where he was treated for facial bruises and sprains when he tripped in the panicky crush of fleeing commuters.

    “One man fell on me and I had my legs bent backwards and my right ankle got twisted, and I started screaming that I had no air,” he said.

    The bomb, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag concealed in a bucket, exploded at 8:20 a.m. Friday at the height of the morning rush. The explosion and panic left 29 people injured, but none were killed."




    Was this really "off the radar" in the US? This got HUGE amounts of coverage in Canada. Well, in any case, nobody was killed, thankfully, so that is probably why it didn't get as much coverage as terrorist attacks in countries where the majority of people are white usually do.
    Everything in the US is off the radar unless it is about US. 

    Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but not much.  We are Narcissist Nation.
    Agreed. If it would be mentioned the last line would be no Americans were injured
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 1,187
    That always pisses me off on the news here" no British amongst the dead" like the nationally of a victim is in some way superior to another race or nationality. Dear oh dear the world we live in baffles me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

    this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 21,351
    That always pisses me off on the news here" no British amongst the dead" like the nationally of a victim is in some way superior to another race or nationality. Dear oh dear the world we live in baffles me.
    So many people are still hugely jingoistic, nationalistic and prejudiced.  ItT's mind boggling.
    We're living on the edge of something big. It's a fantastic time in history to be alive.
    AMT, 1.25.15, 00:36 hrs.
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.
Sign In or Register to comment.