Options

We saw Pearl Jam's new doco and it was not what we expected

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

cp3iverson said:
    jdopj said:
    If it is seriously that heavy on the Cubs and two random fans as opposed to a true doc about the band and their music I am inclined to eat my movie tix and skip it.
    I am the furthest thing from a Cubs fan. No thank you
    I hate the Chiefs but i sure wouldn’t let movie tickets go to waste if for some reason Eddie was a Chiefs fan and made a film about it.  I’d vomit afterwards but hey PJ in the theaters is not an everyday thing.  
    Forty years.  Forty years and I think this is the first time I've ever seen or heard the words "I hate the Chiefs" in my life! :lol:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I don't really remember seeing pics of Ed as a huge cubs fan until he was friends with Theo Epstein.  Not like I have really looked to see, and obviously there's a full length movie out proving his life long cubs obsession, but I'm just thinking back and in the beginnings he was always spoken of as a surfer in San Diego and all the rest.... not a huge baseball fan.  Just strange to me.  

In fact is there even a single photo of him in Cubs gear in PJ20?
    Maybe he didn't always rock the gear, but this is pretty old.

https://youtu.be/urVTx-DNJPs
    That's a really cool vid.  Talk about a time warp!  It's amazing to see how much the area has changed in the last 25 years.  No bleachers on the rooftops in this.  And when this was made, Wrigley only had lights for 3 1/2 years!!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    aghani said:
    my2hands said:
    Im expecting clips of those 17 songs.  Maybe a few complete ones.  Im excited regardless for a new PJ bluray.  I wish it was Touring Band style but i’ll take what i can get.  Not a baseball fan at all but im up for trying a different kind of PJ film.  We’ve gotten three or four straight up live concert films already.  The Italian one was cool.  This seems even more down that path. 
    I really hope they are all full song performances... if not that will really suck. 

And the last straight up concert film was from 14 years ago... enough of the art project films, give me some fucking rock & roll
    my2hands said:
    Im expecting clips of those 17 songs.  Maybe a few complete ones.  Im excited regardless for a new PJ bluray.  I wish it was Touring Band style but i’ll take what i can get.  Not a baseball fan at all but im up for trying a different kind of PJ film.  We’ve gotten three or four straight up live concert films already.  The Italian one was cool.  This seems even more down that path. 
    I really hope they are all full song performances... if not that will really suck. 

And the last straight up concert film was from 14 years ago... enough of the art project films, give me some fucking rock & roll
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

You already have that.  Get the bootlegs of the shows that are going on sale with the film, and go to Youtube.  It's all there already.  Right now.
    I have enough boots... i've seen plenty of youtube vids and full shows shot by fans... some of them are awesome (better than nothing, steved, etc)... I was just hoping it was finally time for another fully pro shot Pearl Jam concert experience in all its glory... call me crazy, but I think that is WAY overdue
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    my2hands said:
    aghani said:
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

You already have that.  Get the bootlegs of the shows that are going on sale with the film, and go to Youtube.  It's all there already.  Right now.
    I have enough boots... i've seen plenty of youtube vids and full shows shot by fans... some of them are awesome (better than nothing, steved, etc)... I was just hoping it was finally time for another fully pro shot Pearl Jam concert experience in all its glory... call me crazy, but I think that is WAY overdue
    I agree its overdue. RELEASE BOSTON I ITS ALREADY DONE OMFG!
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    It's basically going to be Immagine in Cornice except the Cubs instead of Ed sweeping the floor and Boom diddling with organs

im ok with this 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    RS65573 said:
    my2hands said:
    aghani said:
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

I agree its overdue. RELEASE BOSTON I ITS ALREADY DONE OMFG!
    I do wonder if down the road we will see some sort of deluxe video vault release of all four (five?) ballpark shows. They showed Fenway 1 in its entirety at the House of Blues. We know these recordings exist. They know there is a demand.  I hope it happens.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

cp3iverson said:
    jdopj said:
    If it is seriously that heavy on the Cubs and two random fans as opposed to a true doc about the band and their music I am inclined to eat my movie tix and skip it.
    I am the furthest thing from a Cubs fan. No thank you
    I hate the Chiefs but i sure wouldn’t let movie tickets go to waste if for some reason Eddie was a Chiefs fan and made a film about it.  I’d vomit afterwards but hey PJ in the theaters is not an everyday thing.  
    Forty years.  Forty years and I think this is the first time I've ever seen or heard the words "I hate the Chiefs" in my life! :lol:
    Raiders baby!
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,355
    It's basically going to be Immagine in Cornice except the Cubs instead of Ed sweeping the floor and Boom diddling with organs

im ok with this 
    Bingo
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    I'm guessing the soundtrack definitely has the full versions of songs?
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    tschav said:
    Spoiler alert: Cubs win.
    DAMMMITTT...... i was waiting for the film
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,317
    my2hands said:
    Why would a soundtrack only have part of the songs?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    igotid88 said:
    my2hands said:
    You've never heard of a partial soundtrack??? Hahahaha! 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Single Video Theory had clips of stuff. If it is clips and more Cubs, than so be it. I'm not deterred one bit by one person's 'review'.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,745
    edited September 2017
    TJ25487 said:
    igotid88 said:
    my2hands said:
    You've never heard of a partial soundtrack??? Hahahaha! 
    Driving in the truck listening to music with my wife feels like it. 30 seconds into a song she gets bored and says NEXT! Drives me nuts.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,110
    JimmyV said:

I do wonder if down the road we will see some sort of deluxe video vault release of all four (five?) ballpark shows. They showed Fenway 1 in its entirety at the House of Blues. We know these recordings exist. They know there is a demand.  I hope it happens.
    Maybe? I think the band filmed alot of stuff that never gets released.  I think the Spectrum shows got filmed, the gorge 05 show filmed.  The band made a complete home video of the 1995 tour that was finished and didn't put it out.

I think the Fenway thing was a test run for Wrigley but you never know.. maybe one day.   It would be awesome.  The more bluray's we get the better.  I suppose getting all 4 stadium shows could depend on the future.

I'm noticed lots of the veteran rock acts were doing stadium tours this year.    The last of the big name bands are spending less time in Arenas and more times in Stadiums.   If PJ tours continue to be small, and we all travel like mad to see them, they might have to start playing stadiums more often.  It might become a less rare event.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    JimmyV said:

Maybe? I think the band filmed alot of stuff that never gets released.  I think the Spectrum shows got filmed, the gorge 05 show filmed.  The band made a complete home video of the 1995 tour that was finished and didn't put it out.

I think the Fenway thing was a test run for Wrigley but you never know.. maybe one day.   It would be awesome.  The more bluray's we get the better.  I suppose getting all 4 stadium shows could depend on the future.

I'm noticed lots of the veteran rock acts were doing stadium tours this year.    The last of the big name bands are spending less time in Arenas and more times in Stadiums.   If PJ tours continue to be small, and we all travel like mad to see them, they might have to start playing stadiums more often.  It might become a less rare event.
    House of Blues gave 10 club the building for the night. They had to brainstorm ideas on what to do with it. I do not think that had anything to do with Wrigley. 
  • Options
    I don't really remember seeing pics of Ed as a huge cubs fan until he was friends with Theo Epstein.  Not like I have really looked to see, and obviously there's a full length movie out proving his life long cubs obsession, but I'm just thinking back and in the beginnings he was always spoken of as a surfer in San Diego and all the rest.... not a huge baseball fan.  Just strange to me.  

I remember watching a video the other night and seeing ed wearing what looked to be a white Sox hat. To me that is the equivalent to wearing Montreal Canadiens merchandise as a leafs fan.
  • Options
    rail or nothing
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I remember watching a video the other night and seeing ed wearing what looked to be a white Sox hat. To me that is the equivalent to wearing Montreal Canadiens merchandise as a leafs fan.
    I get what you are saying but it is more like the Yankees/Mets. They are in different leagues and used to never compete/play each other until the World Series so you could really root for two teams.  Go Habs Go!!!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    edited September 2017
    Hobbes said:
    that picture of Ed in the story is from Wells Fargo Center in Philly.  nice picture.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,741
    Hobbes said:
    Thanks!

Movie Review: Vedder and Pearl Jam cheer on the Cubs in “Let’s Play Two”

pearl3

There’s a lot of Ferris Bueller to Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder. That only becomes clear in “Let’s Play Two,” the new documentary about the band’s triumphant performance at Wrigley Field as the Cubs were rolling to their historic World Series win in 2016.

Like Ferris, Edward Louis Severson grew up in suburban Chicago (Evanston, in his case). He loves loves LOVES those Cubs. And whatever else one thinks of the handsome, much-imitated baritone of the Last Grunge Band Standing, the Hall of Fame honored, defender of the Memphis Three, Ticketmaster-hating, selling out shows but refusing to “sell-out,” is surely the poster boy for “righteous dude.”

“Let’s Play Two” is another peak moment for America’s most popular stadium band. Photographer Danny Clinch and a film crew capture Vedder’s Chicago homecoming and the Seattle band’s victory lap in a city which helped nurture them as they were just breaking out in the early ’90s.

There’s backstage banter, a rooftop rehearsal/jam session at the popular Murphy’s Bleachers Wrigley-side pub and a lot of Eddie in Cubs gear, in the stands or in a sky box, diligently keeping a score card. He first visited the park “45 years ago,” when his favorite player was Jose Cardenal.

The concert footage, where the band runs through hits from “Jeremy” and “Better Man,” and much of their back catalog — “Hearts and Thoughts,” etc., isn’t really for the uninitiated. The live soundmix and Vedder’s plummy growl don’t let you decipher lyrics, if you don’t already know them by heart.

pearl3

But the many tunes performed are intercut with snippets of the Cubs marching into the playoffs, through the playoffs and toward their first world championship in over a century. And nobody could be happier about that than Vedder.

“Let’s Play Two” doesn’t re-invent or for that matter add anything to the concert doc genre. But for fans, it’s a lovely time capsule, a bunch of 50somethings, still sporting the torn jeans and well-worn t-shirts, leaping about, playing with feeling and getting a joyous job done.

Righteous dudes, one and all.

2half-star6

MPAA Rating: unrated, alcohol consumption

Cast: Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Mike McReady, Matt Cameron, Boom Gaspar

Credits: Directed by Danny Clinch. An Abramorama release

Running time: 2:01

• Options
    Are we sure Theo Epstein didn't fund this? Sounding more and more like a Cubs 2016 World Series Documentary lol
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,142
    You know that look people give you when they find out how obsessed with Pearl Jam you are? I'm just imagining the look when people
    are like "you went to a movie about the cubs because Pearl Jam's in it? You're a nut!"
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Mike McReady? :lol:
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,445

Maybe he didn't always rock the gear, but this is pretty old.

https://youtu.be/urVTx-DNJPs
    Anyone else notice at the 6:33 mark towards the end with Ed in front of the Wrigley sign he says "Lets Play Two" with a smirk.  :)  Interesting.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I wouldnt mind it, really... but im an indians fan so re-living the loss is a bit painful
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Thought this would be a Concert DVD...with just some Footage of the Cubs added in there...
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    i_lov_it said:
    Thought this would be a Concert DVD...with just some Footage of the Cubs added in there...
    Image result for reverse that willy wonka