Options

We saw Pearl Jam's new doco and it was not what we expected

Comments

• Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't assume that those 17 songs on the soundtrack are played in full though. Soundtracks usually include songs that only had clips of them played in the film.

What many may be afraid of...
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    While I'm not actually a fan of of a team or anything and don't usually watch the actual sport being played, I am a massive baseball movie/documentary fan - I absolutely love baseball-themed films pretty much indiscriminately, and make a point of watching every single one of them - so I'm really pleased about the focus of this. I am guaranteed to be entertained by it.
    I love baseball and documentaries as well... but i prefer Ken Burns doing that and Pearl Jam sticking to documenting concerts and live music 

I was hoping for more of a Pearl Jam concert movie with Wrigley & Cubs sprinkled in,  but this sounds like the exact opposite with it being a movie about Wrigley & Cubs with some concert footage sprinkled in... i've seen enough of Eddie & The Cubs the last few years to last a lifetime

We will likely skip the theater for this one
    I get that... but as I said, I'm indiscriminate. I love the Ken Burns Baseball doc .... but I always really enjoy Fever Pitch, soooooo.... :lol:;)
    On a side note there is a new Ken Burns Vietnam documentary coming out soon. 18 hours long!
    :joy: Indeed! And the soundtrack was done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross!! I've got the series recording on my PVR - I'm going to binge watch the whole thing next time I'm home on a rainy weekend with nothing to do. :)
    Looks like I missed the first 4 episodes. Damn. 

Also if they do chop the songs in Let's Play Two I really hope they leave Inside Job and Black Red and Yellow intact with intro and all. Those were great moments. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    I'm hoping this review is a tad biased and the reviewer is wishfully trying to turn the focus of the film from the music to a movie about her family member.  Either way I'm excited to see it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Im expecting clips of those 17 songs.  Maybe a few complete ones.  Im excited regardless for a new PJ bluray.  I wish it was Touring Band style but i’ll take what i can get.  Not a baseball fan at all but im up for trying a different kind of PJ film.  We’ve gotten three or four straight up live concert films already.  The Italian one was cool.  This seems even more down that path. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJNB said:
    Unless someone can correct me if I am wrong that has seen it there is going to be 17 songs played during this film. That equals out to be 80 minutes of music (unless they chop up the songs which I hope is untrue) and 40 minutes of Cubs/baseball talk. I do not mind this at all. 
    Good point... I'm back on board... wtf was I thinking? lol
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    my2hands said:
    I was hoping for more of a Pearl Jam concert movie with Wrigley & Cubs sprinkled in,  but this sounds like the exact opposite with it being a movie about Wrigley & Cubs with some concert footage sprinkled in... 
    I sure hope not, not with the film being described as " a celebration of Pearl Jam's legendary sold out performances at Wrigley Field on August 20th & 22nd, 2016" and "From Ten to Lightning Bolt, this feature film shuffles through Pearl Jam’s ever-growing catalog of originals and covers -- spanning the band's 25-year career."
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    While I'm not actually a fan of of a team or anything and don't usually watch the actual sport being played, I am a massive baseball movie/documentary fan - I absolutely love baseball-themed films pretty much indiscriminately, and make a point of watching every single one of them - so I'm really pleased about the focus of this. I am guaranteed to be entertained by it.
    I love baseball and documentaries as well... but i prefer Ken Burns doing that and Pearl Jam sticking to documenting concerts and live music 

I was hoping for more of a Pearl Jam concert movie with Wrigley & Cubs sprinkled in,  but this sounds like the exact opposite with it being a movie about Wrigley & Cubs with some concert footage sprinkled in... i've seen enough of Eddie & The Cubs the last few years to last a lifetime

I get that... but as I said, I'm indiscriminate. I love the Ken Burns Baseball doc .... but I always really enjoy Fever Pitch, soooooo.... :lol:;)
    On a side note there is a new Ken Burns Vietnam documentary coming out soon. 18 hours long!
    :joy: Indeed! And the soundtrack was done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross!! I've got the series recording on my PVR - I'm going to binge watch the whole thing next time I'm home on a rainy weekend with nothing to do. :)

Also if they do chop the songs in Let's Play Two I really hope they leave Inside Job and Black Red and Yellow intact with intro and all. Those were great moments. 
    You can stream any and every episode of Vietnam for free off the pbs website.  Even the "explicit version" which I've been watching that isn't aired on tv.  They start of kinda slow but last nights was terrifying and sad as hell.  I actually had tears in my eyes at one point.  But ken burns, Trent reznor and yo yo ma makes for a decent watch any day.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You can stream any and every episode of Vietnam for free off the pbs website.  Even the "explicit version" which I've been watching that isn't aired on tv.  They start of kinda slow but last nights was terrifying and sad as hell.  I actually had tears in my eyes at one point.  But ken burns, Trent reznor and yo yo ma makes for a decent watch any day.
    Explicit version ?
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Explicit version ?
    Yeah, it's not much different but the interviews are a bit more hardcore and maybe the images and video are more explicit? It has a warning in the beginning about it having explicit content. I don't really know but you have the choice between "broadcast version" "explicit version" and "Spanish."

sorry for derailing the thread everyone :(
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 647
    If it is seriously that heavy on the Cubs and two random fans as opposed to a true doc about the band and their music I am inclined to eat my movie tix and skip it.
    I am the furthest thing from a Cubs fan. No thank you
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    But what if the box is colored vinyl....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    jdopj said:
    If it is seriously that heavy on the Cubs and two random fans as opposed to a true doc about the band and their music I am inclined to eat my movie tix and skip it.
    I am the furthest thing from a Cubs fan. No thank you
    I hate the Chiefs but i sure wouldn’t let movie tickets go to waste if for some reason Eddie was a Chiefs fan and made a film about it.  I’d vomit afterwards but hey PJ in the theaters is not an everyday thing.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    It's two hours out of your life, and at least some of it involves PJ in concert on the big screen. Could it really be so bad that fans dedicated enough to be on the forum board can't stomach two hours of it??
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    In the age of YouTube , I do not understand why some people would want a straightforward concert film. You can literally go there now and watch the show. I'm happy that this is a conceptual movie.
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    I'm not going to let one persons review detract from the excited anticipation I have for Oct 3rd.
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    aghani said:
    In the age of YouTube , I do not understand why some people would want a straightforward concert film. You can literally go there now and watch the show. I'm happy that this is a conceptual movie.
    You cannot compare the quality of an amateur YouTube version and a professionally shot 15 camera angle directed experience with soundboard audio on a Bluray.

That said I am one of the guys who is out there sometimes sacrificing some of my touring, filming and then editing and working so everyone else can enjoy the stuff on YouTube. There is still no comparison! We have had three concept concert videos in row. Cornice, PJ20, and now this one.

There has not been a single release of only concert footage in 14 years. 

I am excited to have something which is better than nothing, but I believe this is in the minority of what the fans and people want.  I think they will put out what they feel is a film that has meaning to them which is their version of art, which is great and what they want to do. The problem is if they don't put this out, in addition to full concert footage, they are out of touch and are not giving the fans what they want. 
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,762
    Spoiler alert: Cubs win.
  • Options
    I spent the euro tour queuing with the aussies had some difficult interesting times. My dear friends ewa and keith travelled with them though euro and south America. I will be interested to see how that part comes across. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    Sounds perfect, both times I got lucky enough to meet Ed he was wearing Cubs gear
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I've got zero interest in baseball whatsoever, but I'm still excited about LP2 because a) it's a PJ release, and b) it's by Danny Clinch! Both of those factors are way more important than the baseball aspect.

Sure I'd love a Wrigley box set extravaganza with the complete shows on vinyl, blu-ray etc, but I'll take whatever I can get and this review doesn't change that.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I don't really remember seeing pics of Ed as a huge cubs fan until he was friends with Theo Epstein.  Not like I have really looked to see, and obviously there's a full length movie out proving his life long cubs obsession, but I'm just thinking back and in the beginnings he was always spoken of as a surfer in San Diego and all the rest.... not a huge baseball fan.  Just strange to me.  

In fact is there even a single photo of him in Cubs gear in PJ20?
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    I don't really remember seeing pics of Ed as a huge cubs fan until he was friends with Theo Epstein.  Not like I have really looked to see, and obviously there's a full length movie out proving his life long cubs obsession, but I'm just thinking back and in the beginnings he was always spoken of as a surfer in San Diego and all the rest.... not a huge baseball fan.  Just strange to me.  

Always been a huge Cubs fan, his connection to the Cubs has nothing to do with Theo, that is just coincidence of the sport world that Theo ended up there after previously befriending some of the band including Vedder through mutual associates.

PJ20 was about PJ, Mike didn't wear any Kiss paraphernalia.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    I find it impossible to believe that this will focus on just the Cubs and Wrigley field.  Otherwise there are going to be a lot of DVDs and Blu-Rays sitting in a warehouse gathering dust.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Does it cover his red sox years?
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited September 2017

Maybe he didn't always rock the gear, but this is pretty old.

https://youtu.be/urVTx-DNJPs
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    As a huge fan of both the Cubs and PJ, I am pretty interested to see some of the background footage of EV and the Cubs from last year.

I am hoping that the Bluray includes the full performances of all of the songs.
  • Options
    Im expecting clips of those 17 songs.  Maybe a few complete ones.  Im excited regardless for a new PJ bluray.  I wish it was Touring Band style but i’ll take what i can get.  Not a baseball fan at all but im up for trying a different kind of PJ film.  We’ve gotten three or four straight up live concert films already.  The Italian one was cool.  This seems even more down that path. 
    I really hope they are all full song performances... if not that will really suck. 

And the last straight up concert film was from 14 years ago... enough of the art project films, give me some fucking rock & roll
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't assume that those 17 songs on the soundtrack are played in full though. Soundtracks usually include songs that only had clips of them played in the film.
    This would totally suck
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    I really hope they are all full song performances... if not that will really suck. 

And the last straight up concert film was from 14 years ago... enough of the art project films, give me some fucking rock & roll
    my2hands said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

You already have that.  Get the bootlegs of the shows that are going on sale with the film, and go to Youtube.  It's all there already.  Right now.
  • Options
    I never had any expectation that the full songs would be on this movie.  Movies are never like that- that's why there's soundtracks.  This will have snippets of 17 songs, some short, some long, but a ton of spoken narration or shots of Eddie in interviews, backed up with old pictures of ed as a kid and baseball stuff.  But the extra discs (if there are any) in the bluray is where youll have the full songs and rooftop stuff-  my opinion of course.

either way I definitely lost a lot of enthusiasm for this movie after reading this review.  I'm still excited because it's Pearl Jam on a movie theater and when the hell does that happen, but since I'm not a cubs but a yankee fan I really don't care too much about his fandom, I just want some rock and roll hd footage.