Options

Can't Keep, the greatest opener

fast-trackfast-track Posts: 5
edited September 2003 in Words and Music...Communication
Can't Keep feels like the beginning part of a rollercoaster where you're slowly being pulled up to the top. Exciting because you know you're about to get sent on a wild ride. As the song ends, you reach the top and off you go!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ToywomanToywoman Posts: 43
    To me, this is my anthem. I guess I've felt "tied down" for so long (for lack of the word that's failing to come to me), I just have to blast this song... It's a new beginning, a new day, and NO ONE is going to hold me back now
    "sounds like pearl jam just had a three song orgasm."~~vacatetheword
  • Options
    BalkiBalki Posts: 50
    i totally agree...this song is definately one of my tops songs from riot act...and definately the best opener. Great great song, really puts you in the mood for what you're about to see
    "Don't Be Ridiculous"
    ~Balki Bartokamous

"Some people have taken pure bullshit, and turned it into gold."
    ~Neil

"Call out the instigators, because there's something in the air..."
  • Options
    tazwwtazww Posts: 22
    i wish i could have heard this one live! maybe next tour:) it's one of my favorites off riot act. love the lyrics...it just makes me want to escape from all the bullshit and take a breather and find some clarity.....

i wanna shake, i wanna wind out
    i wanna leave this mind and shout
    i've lived all this life
    like an ocean in disguise
    i don't live forever
    you can't keep me here...
    i wanna race with the sundown
    i want a last breath that i don't let out
    forgive every being
    the bad feelings, it's just me
    i won't wait for answers
    i wanna rise and say a-goodnight
    i wanna take a look on the other side
    i've lived all these lives
    it's been wonderful at night
    i will live forever
  • Options
    This has fast become one of my favorite songs in the catalog--

I just learned to play this on the Uke the other night.. did a cruddy, microphone taped to my uke recording if you all would like to hear it.. http://www.djcoffman.com/music/djcantkeep.mp3
    i am jack's ukulele
    **Get outa my way, just step aside, or pay the price ~ AC/DC**

You make me feel uncalm and I think I like it - 311

JEFF ROX MY SOX!

"Jeff is just a badass all the way across the board" ~aNiMaL~

"Chill out Kaddikat"
  • Options
    i am starting to like can't keep more and more, I agree with it being a good opener
    "I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks."
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    It took me 6 Riot Act shows before I finally got to see this song at Camden 1. I was dying to see it. Man I love that song!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I love this song! Its a lot better live. I love when Ed does a little scream after "And you can't keep me here, awwww"...love that...a great opener.
  • Options
    Yeah, it is the best album opener.
    Makes much more sense to live in the Present Tense.
  • Options
    I agree it's a great opener. I also would love to see "Release" as an encore song instead of a opener.
  • Options
    darthdarth Houston, TX Posts: 139
    Yeah this song has quickly ecome one of my favorites and it was really awesome when they opened in houston with it. Great build up to it as the band gets ready to bustinto something fast after it.
    9/16/95; 10/14/00; 10/15/00; 10/17/00; 4/5/03; 4/6/03; 10/04/09; 11/12/12 (Ed); 11/16/13; 10/12/14
  • Options
    I'd like to play this song every day when I wake up... maybe set a cd to player to play it automatically as an alarm...
    i am jack's ukulele
    Oh please, let it rain today, this city's so filthy, like my mind in ways . . .
    Memphis, TN 08.15.00
    Oklahoma City, OK 04.03.03
    Little Rock, AR 06.10.03
    Bonner Springs, KS 06.12.03
    St. Louis, MO 10.05.04
    Chicago, IL 05.17.06
    New York, NY 06.24.08
    New York, NY 06.25.08
    Kansas City, MO 05.03.10
    East Troy, WI 09.03.11
    East Troy, WI 09.04.11
    Chicago, IL 07.19.13
    Dallas, TX 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK 11.16.13
    Tulsa, OK 10.08.14
    Memphis, TN 10.14.14
    Boston, MA 08.05.16
    Boston, MA 08.07.16
    Chicago, IL 08.20.16
    Chicago, IL 08.22.16
    Seattle, WA 08.08.18
    Seattle, WA 08.10.18
    Boston, MA 09.02.18
    Boston, MA 09.04.18
  • Options
    Pearl_JuPearl_Ju Posts: 49
    I wish I had listened to it in one of the 9 shows I´ve been to... but I haven´t :( Maybe next tour!
    ...We´re faithful, we all believe, we all believe...
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,704
    I underestimated this song. I didn't realize how great it truly was until I heard them open with it. It made me feel sooo goood I can't even describe it.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    I became in love with this song purely accidently... When i first got riot act, i thought save you was the greatest song, so i constantly skipped cant keep to get to it... until one day my fiance yelled at me, and was like, lets listen to that one, so we did... and then i think she felt bad for it, so we had to listen to it every time riot act was in, and slowly but surely it grew on me until I saw it as the opener in Cleveland...
    "Esther's here and she's sick... hi Esther, now we're all going to be sick, thanks." EV Palace of Auburn Hills 10-7-00
  • Options
    yes I must say this song is very sexy, and the words and the way its sung along with that music is HOT. Great song!
  • Options
    I always thought this was the first song they should've released from Riot Act. I love it, it's my AIM sig. I hope they still do, it's very marketable.
  • Options
    St. OneSt. One Posts: 11
    In the beginning I didn't like it that much, i even skipped it and went immediately to Save you. But after I heard live versions on the boots, i started to like it and now i enjoy listening to it.

I attented a show, but if..., I think i would prefer 'release'.
    -The only fucking reason you guys chant my name is cuz I'm the only guy in the band whose name has two syllables. We call Stone 'Stoney'. You could chant that, 'Stoney, Stoney' -EV

-Stone has the guts to fly here in a helicopter, but he's too scared to play breath -EV

COME TO EUROPE!
  • Options
    I have gotten some great show openers at the ones i have been to... Go, Animal, Cant Keep, Last Exit and Release.
    "Esther's here and she's sick... hi Esther, now we're all going to be sick, thanks." EV Palace of Auburn Hills 10-7-00
  • Options
    Pearl_JuPearl_Ju Posts: 49
    I went all the way to USA to see Pearl Jam 9 times but I wasn´t lucky enough to hear Can´t Keep...
    ...We´re faithful, we all believe, we all believe...
  • Options
    best opener = sometimes
    For In Truth... It's The Begining of nothing.... and nothing has changed....

For In Truth.... it's the Begining of An End... and nothing has changed...

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Ooooh GOD I wanted this as an opener at one of my shows SO BAD!! Never did get it though. :(

I loove this song and think it's incredibly underrated. Probably the most underrated from RA if ya ask me. I know (without even ever seeing it) that this kicks some serious ass as an opener. WOW! I mean just on the album you get the feeling, ya know? I could only imagine live. The way Ed draws out the chorus-

"You can't keeeeeeeeeep....meeeee heeeeeeeeeerah!"

Love it! It's like he's taking us away from where ever it is he's sayin he can't be kept (hope that made sense). It's such an uplifting song and really just progresses soooo much. What a way to start a show!! What a way to kick things off!! I bet it's fuckin amazing. Hopefully we'll get it a Bridge School. That would be VERY nice. I really must see this one live. :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    THANK YOU iamjacksukulele!!! Very nice my friend. :D

(I still really wanna hear Ed's early version with just him and the uke as well)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    Originally posted by pearljamming my way
    I love this song! Its a lot better live. I love when Ed does a little scream after "And you can't keep me here, awwww"...love that...a great opener.

YES! I must say that I loooooove that "awwwww" as well. Puts some serious umph in it.

(ok, no one else is even online right now and I am just sitting here going of about Can't Keep... to myself. Aww that's some love and devotion. LOL! I really could talk about this one forever though. GREAT song!)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options

*I've lived all this life like an ocean in disguise*

:)

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    "I won't live forever..."
    i am jack's ukulele

:D

YAY another praiser! LOL! I was feeling so alone yet felt the need to keep going off. hehe.

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    "...me heeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre...AWWh!"

:D
    i am jack's ukulele

"na nana na nana na na"

at the beginning?

I looove that. I still wonder who it is though.

"Lo√e, you know the word